PDA

View Full Version : Advice on Getting to Wembley

Nurse Duckett
06.06.2008, 03:51 PM
(Sorry if this is already covered elsewhere - couldn't see any obvious topics on first few pages...)

I'll be getting to London by train at Waterloo and then to Wembley by tube.

Does anyone have any useful advice, in particular from last year's event, on:

* How long it's likely to take from Waterloo to Wembley?

* Most convenient tube station near Wembley, and how many minutes' walk to stadium?

* Latest advisable time to get to stadium before kickoff?

I'll be with my 10-year old son; I don't want to miss anything, but I don't want to test his limits of endurance too much by getting there too early!

Thanks in advance!

Catbird
06.06.2008, 05:48 PM
One train all the way on the Jubilee line (Silver line) 30 minute journey.

Its a great walk from Wembley Park station down Wembley Way.
Get there as early as possible to soak up the atmos.

Any other questions, feel free to PM me.

tdingwal@staffmail.ed.ac.uk
06.06.2008, 06:28 PM
Try and get Tailgate party tickets, it makes the day even more memorable. Theres even talk of something being organised for the saturday.

Only down side is the wait afterwards. Its a bit of a nightmare getting back onto the tube. But the police do a great job of guiding everyone into the stations etc..

Catbird
06.06.2008, 06:30 PM
Yeah it can be a pain but the station has been redeveloped with the focus on getting people out of the Wembley area as fast as possible.

Smeknamn
06.06.2008, 08:05 PM
Journey time is about 30 minutes on the Jubilee line. I would add 10 to 15 minutes to that make your way to the Underground platform and wait for the train.

* Most convenient tube station near Wembley, and how many minutes' walk to stadium?
As already mentioned the Jubilee line goes to Wembley Park station, which is just a three minute walk down Olympic Way (usually called Wembley Way) to the stadium and is fully pedestrianized.

I would say about 4:30pm if you are just going to go straight from the station to your seat. I would not leave it any longer than that or you risk being caught up in queues to get in and find your seat.

If you can be there for 4pm then I think the experience of seeing about 100 players all warming up on the pitch should be of interest to a 10 year old. Although there is a long gap between that and kick off, and last year there was nothing in that time that would have kept him occupied. There was a band but that was just a few people on a teeny stage providing background noise.

Michael.

FWOODPACKER
07.06.2008, 08:38 AM
Journey time is about 30 minutes on the Jubilee line. I would add 10 to 15 minutes to that make your way to the Underground platform and wait for the train.

As already mentioned the Jubilee line goes to Wembley Park station, which is just a three minute walk down Olympic Way (usually called Wembley Way) to the stadium and is fully pedestrianized.

I would say about 4:30pm if you are just going to go straight from the station to your seat. I would not leave it any longer than that or you risk being caught up in queues to get in and find your seat.

If you can be there for 4pm then I think the experience of seeing about 100 players all warming up on the pitch should be of interest to a 10 year old. Although there is a long gap between that and kick off, and last year there was nothing in that time that would have kept him occupied. There was a band but that was just a few people on a teeny stage providing background noise.

Michael.

Three minutes from the tube !!! - Maybe for Marques Colston ;D

jaffaboy
08.06.2008, 12:10 PM
Last year, the jubilee line was better than the Metroploitan line from Baker st. although there more stops on the jubilee line, Baker #st will be packedup. I came last year from Canary Wharf and once it got to Waterloo it was standing room only.
I disagree that the Police did a good job of guiding us last year, they were rude and even if you diod not want to go home via the tube station they forced you that way any way! Oh well
The tailgate stuff is great, and hopefully there will be another Animatron, maybe LT or Reggie Bush? or both?
~Check out my blog from last year's game

http://www.adamsfootballtrip.com/blogs/60/1st-nfl-regular-season-game-outside-n.america!.htm

harvb
09.06.2008, 10:16 AM
How do you get invited to/tickets for the tailgate party/parties? I'd love to do that, and I'm bringing a football virgin who would love to soak up more atmosphere :)

PaddYank
09.06.2008, 10:42 AM
Last year I found it was handy to get the train from Marylebone station to Wembley Central. It's a non-stop service and you don't have to put up with the stuffy, crowded tubes. If you get yourself a day pass for zones 1-4 that will also cover you for the train journey. There was a bit of a queue after the game that wasn't going anywhere at first but it got moving soon enough.

PaddYank
09.06.2008, 10:43 AM
People who signed up last year got randomly picked for the tailgate party though not everyone. For people who didn't get picked there was an unofficial tailgate party at a pub nearby that was pretty good craic.

harvb
09.06.2008, 11:01 AM
How/when will we find out if we got picked? I'd love to go but obviously I'll not push.

PaddYank
09.06.2008, 11:15 AM
People were invited closer to the time of the event. I think they were notified by email. I reckon the unofficial party at the pub up the road was better.

harvb
09.06.2008, 11:44 AM
People were invited closer to the time of the event. I think they were notified by email. I reckon the unofficial party at the pub up the road was better.

Cool, cheers for that, I think I'll wait and see how it goes then.

Raider12
09.06.2008, 05:30 PM
Folks this a good idea. If you could paste something like Smekman has and keep the chit chat stuff to the very minimum, this will stop good info being missed.

I will make this a sticky

Mark

Smeknamn
09.06.2008, 07:56 PM
In that case I will repost this on here too then:

The TfL journey planner is pretty good and may answer a lot of people's questions:

http://www.journeyplanner.org/

As well as stations you can enter place names, addresses, and post codes. It then checks the best route across all forms of transport.

Although as with all such automated systems it is best only used as a rough guide. What is best on paper (or disk) is not always best in practice, plus it tends to be very cautious about walking speeds and times for changing from one service to another.

Still, it may not suggest the best way, but it will get you where you want to go.

Michael.

martin_g
09.06.2008, 08:38 PM
Hi guys this is my planned Journey on the tube from Heathrow

http://tinyurl.com/6axx9r

Neither my brother or i have ever been on the tube but is that likely to be a pain in **** of a journey or is the underground easy to navigate around?

Catbird
09.06.2008, 11:01 PM
Link doesnt work. The tube is easy to navigate around.

Just give a starting point and someone on here will direct you.

Smeknamn
10.06.2008, 09:08 AM
The easiest route from Heathrow to Wembley would just be the Piccadilly line to Green Park, and change for the Jubilee line to Wembley Park.

The quicker and cheaper route though is the Piccadilly line to Acton Town, change for a different branch of the Piccadilly line to Rayner's Lane, and then get the Metropolitan line to Wembley Park.

Quickest of all, but without the fun of going down Olympic Way, get the Rayner's Lane train as above, but change at Alperton for a local bus into Wembley.

Michael.

Hurricane Warrior
10.06.2008, 11:53 AM
I'm coming from the south and will get a train from brighton to victoria, whats the best way from victoria?

and I really want to take in the enjoyment, excitement etc so what time would be the best time to start arriving at wembly way etc?

Csonka#39
10.06.2008, 11:55 AM
I'm coming from the south and will get a train from brighton to victoria, whats the best way from victoria?

and I really want to take in the enjoyment, excitement etc so what time would be the best time to start arriving at wembly way etc?

Best advice for anyone with no idea how to get to Wembley follows:

http://www.paisley.org.uk/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/03/new_london_taxi.jpg

;)

Smeknamn
10.06.2008, 12:32 PM
For people coming by train:

Arriving at Fenchurch Street Street

If your train stops at West Ham you can change here for the Jubilee line (westbound, towards Stanmore) direct to Wembley Park.

Alternatively, from Fenchurch Street it a short signposted walk to Tower Hill. From the eastbound platform (towards Upminster) take a Circle line train and change at Baker Street for the Metropolitan line (towards Uxbridge, Amersham, or Watford) to Wembley Park.

If no Circle line service is shown you can instead take a District line train (towards Barking or Upminster) to Aldgate East, and change here for the Hammersmith & City line (towards Hammersmith) which will take you to Baker Street.

Arriving at Liverpool Street

Take the first train on the westbound platform for the Hammersmith & City/Circle/Metropolitan lines.

If it is a Metropolitan line train (towards Uxbridge, Amersham, or Watford) it will go directly to Wembley Park. Otherwise change at Baker Street for a Metropolitan line train from here.

If you train stops at Stratford you can change here instead for the Jubilee line (westbound, towards Stanmore) direct to Wembley Park, but travelling via Liverpool Street is quicker

Arriving at Farringdon

Take the first train on the westbound platform for the Hammersmith & City/Circle/Metropolitan lines.

If it is a Metropolitan line train (towards Uxbridge, Amersham, or Watford) it will go directly to Wembley Park. Otherwise change at Baker Street for a Metropolitan line train from here.

Arriving at Kings Cross

Arriving at St Pancras

If using a First Capital Connect service to Brighton, Wimbledon, or Sutton the due to the current station layout it is easier to stay on the train and change at Farringdon.

Otherwise, take the first train on the westbound platform for the Hammersmith & City/Circle/Metropolitan lines.

Arriving at Euston

London Overground services run from Euston to Wembley Central.

As Wembley Central is a 10 minute walk from the stadium you can instead take a short signposted walk to Euston Square station. From here take the first train on the westbound platform for the Hammersmith & City/Circle/Metropolitan lines.

Arriving at Marylebone

On game days trains to Marylebone usually make an extra stop at Wembley Stadium station. If not, you can get a train from Marylebone to Wembley Stadium.

Arriving at Paddington

Take the Bakerloo line (southbound, towards Elephant & Castle) to Marylebone where you can get a train direct to Wembley Stadium.

Alternatively, you can take the Bakerloo line northbound (towards Harrow & Wealdstone) to Wembley Central, but this is a ten minute walk from the stadium.

Arriving at Victoria

Take the Victoria line (northbound, towards Walthamstow Central) one stop to Green Park, and from there you can get the Jubilee line (Westbound, towards Stanmore) to Wembley Park.

Arriving at Waterloo

Take the Jubilee line (westbound, towards Stanmore) direct to Wembley Park.

Arriving at Charing Cross

Take the Bakerloo line (nothbound, towards Harrow & Wealdstone) direct to Wembley Central.

As Wembley Central is a 10 minute walk from the stadium you can instead:

a) change at Marylebone for a direct train to Wembley Stadium station.
b) change at Baker Street and take the Metropolitan line (towards Uxbridge, Amersham, or Watford) to Wembley Park.
c) change at Baker Street and take the Jubilee line (westbound, towards Stanmore) to Wembley Park.

Arriving at Blackfriars

If using a First Capital Connect service to St Albans, Luton or Bedford it is easier to stay on the train and change at Farringdon.

Take the first train on the westbound platform (Circle line or District line towards Wimbledon, Richmond, or Ealing Broadway) to Westminster. Change for the Jubilee line (westbound, towards Stanmore) direct to Wembley Park.

Arriving at London Bridge

Take the Jubilee line (westbound, towards Stanmore) direct to Wembley Park.

Michael.

lekimthu
10.06.2008, 02:47 PM
Thanks, Smeknamn. Great information!

harvb
10.06.2008, 03:48 PM
Well done that man, have a biscuit.

martin_g
10.06.2008, 03:52 PM
Link doesnt work. The tube is easy to navigate around.

Just give a starting point and someone on here will direct you.

Sorry about that. Im looking at traveling from Heathrow Terminal 5 to Hanger Lane station as that is where my hotel is.

Smeknamn
10.06.2008, 05:06 PM
Sorry about that. Im looking at traveling from Heathrow Terminal 5 to Hanger Lane station as that is where my hotel is.

What is the address of the hotel as Hanger Lane is a long road and the south end (lower numbers) is much nearer to North Ealing or Ealing Common stations. And those are much easier to get to from Heathrow.

Michael.

martin_g
10.06.2008, 07:29 PM

What is the address of the hotel as Hanger Lane is a long road and the south end (lower numbers) is much nearer to North Ealing or Ealing Common stations. And those are much easier to get to from Heathrow.

Michael.

Hanger Lane, Ealing, Wembley, W5 1DP London

Thst the address mate.

goodgrr
10.06.2008, 09:17 PM
Try and get Tailgate party tickets, it makes the day even more memorable. Theres even talk of something being organised for the saturday.

Only down side is the wait afterwards. Its a bit of a nightmare getting back onto the tube. But the police do a great job of guiding everyone into the stations etc..

I was lucky enough to get the tailgate tickets for last year's and it certainly added to the whole event. I was then completely spoilt as I treated myself to tickets for the superbowl and the event that the NFL put on that's included in the ticket price was just amazing.

I know there is no comparison between the events (or the cost (list price)) of the tickets but it really spoilt me :-)

Smeknamn
10.06.2008, 09:55 PM
Hanger Lane, Ealing, Wembley, W5 1DP London

Thst the address mate.

Looking at the map for that postcode (http://www.streetmap.co.uk/newmap.srf?x=518304&y=183014) the best way from Heathrow then would be to get a Piccadilly line train to Acton Town, then change there for one to Alperton (heading towards either Rayner's Lane or Uxbridge).

You can see Alperton station on the map and it is about a ten minute walk from there. Alternatively you can get an 83 bus from opposite the station which will go down Hanger Lane.

Unfortunately there is no easy connection by Underground from Heathrow for Hanger Lane station itself. You would need to change trains a couple more times to get onto the right branch, so even if you walk from Alperton that way will still be quicker.

Incidentally, the 83 bus goes to Wembley Stadium in the other direction, and would be the quickest way to get there from the hotel.

Michael.

Thugmansion
14.06.2008, 07:29 PM
I go to Wembley about 9 or 10 times a year and always park in the chimes shopping centre @ Uxbridge. Tube is about a 2 minute walk from there, and its only 10 stops (30 mins) to wembley park. Oh and it only costs about 2 quid parking. I went to last yrs game and i saw afew NFL shirts wandering around Uxbridge. I will park there again this yr.

peace

HawksHead
23.06.2008, 10:02 PM
If travelling from the north on the West Coast mainline I found it far easier and quicker to get off at Watford rather than going through to Euston.

From Watford there's an overground train that takes about 20 minutes to Wembley Central which is an easy 10 minute walk to the stadium. They run every half hour on a Sunday but even if you just miss one it would probably be quicker waiting for the next one than going through to Euston.

The Firm
25.06.2008, 09:00 AM
Getting the train into Kings Cross!

Then tube to Baker Street,change,then up to Wembley.

My pal knows the route.

i was just going to get off at Kings Cross and ask somebody :D

Ramraider
25.06.2008, 12:11 PM
Getting the train into Kings Cross!

Then tube to Baker Street,change,then up to Wembley.

My pal knows the route.

i was just going to get off at Kings Cross and ask somebody :D

You do not even need to change at Baker Street. From Kings Cross get the Metropoliton Line to Wembley Park. It goes through Baker St anyway only five stops ;)

Smeknamn
25.06.2008, 02:54 PM
You do not even need to change at Baker Street. From Kings Cross get the Metropoliton Line to Wembley Park. It goes through Baker St anyway only five stops ;)

True, but you are still better off getting the first train from Kings Cross St Pancras and changing at Baker Street if necessary though.

Michael.

nathan.susanto@btinternet.com
26.06.2008, 11:28 AM
I go to Wembley about 9 or 10 times a year and always park in the chimes shopping centre @ Uxbridge. Tube is about a 2 minute walk from there, and its only 10 stops (30 mins) to wembley park. Oh and it only costs about 2 quid parking. I went to last yrs game and i saw afew NFL shirts wandering around Uxbridge. I will park there again this yr.

peace

...on a similar note, there are around 400 spaces at the Stanmore tube station car park. It cost me £1 to park there on a Sunday earlier this year. If you're travelling south by road, you can get there by exiting the M1 at Junction 4. You continue along Edgware Way until the roundabout where you turn right onto Spur Rd. Continue past the roundabout onto London Rd. Look out for the big Underground sign signifying Stanmore tube station on the left-hand side of the road - you want to turn left down a small road, which goes downhill, just before the station to enter the car park.

Be prepared for a long wait to leave the car park, though!!!

EDIT: Forgot to mention Stanmore station is the start of the Jubilee line - four stops from Wembley Park, under 15 minutes journey time.

brock28
26.06.2008, 08:10 PM
You want to park at Rickmansworth and catch the Metropolitan line it is a striaght run and is a alternative to Stanmore which is my old route,but it comes down to personal choice and where you live as well.I found Rickmansworth to be less busy.

Jimbo80
27.06.2008, 12:16 PM
I couldn't convince any of my pals to buy a ticket so will be travelling on my jack jones on the Southend Line into Liverpool St. If anyone is also going that way give me a shout, It'll be good to meet up with fellow fans local to me.

Plant_
27.06.2008, 01:42 PM
Yay I get to spend 8 hours travelling on a train each way :-\

Csonka#39
27.06.2008, 01:51 PM
Yay I get to spend 8 hours travelling on a train each way :-\

My Advice on getting to wembley follows. . .

http://therawrmonster.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2007/12/transporter.jpg

THE ONLY WAY TO TRAVEL

Plant_
27.06.2008, 02:36 PM
LOL
That would certainly keep boredom at bay :P

ShychoG@hotmail.com
27.06.2008, 04:20 PM
My advice would be to go from Waterloo to Marylebone, then transfer to the overground train which takes you right outside the station. Less walking for the boy as well. I go from surbiton and a £7 travelcard does me there and back.

We went to the other station by Wembley way for the Non league football playoffs and it was packed by the time it reach waterloo, and very sweaty, and that was only for 40,000 people.

Another tip for everyone, try the ends of the trains as well. People were crammed into the train we were on, so we walk up to the last carriage, got in and put our feet up.

Kenny Mac
27.06.2008, 04:48 PM
London is quite easy to get around as long as you keep your wits about you. Introduce alcohol into the equation and you could end up any where ;)

cassthelass
27.06.2008, 09:04 PM
The Star Trek way would be great....we're down near Land's End so it's going to be at least a 5hr journey each way for us. Ah well, haven't seen a game since the Panthers in NC in 04 so it's worth it!

LondonTribe
28.06.2008, 09:15 AM
Hi all,

First-time poster, registering in excitement after securing four tickets for the Saints-Chargers game yesterday.

I'm a Forum newbie, but a NW London veteran since I live in Willesden Green only three Tube stops from Wembley.

My main advice to y'all would be not to fixate on the Wembley area alone - Wembley itself is a bit of a dump (as are its adjoining areas of Neasden and Preston Road) and the stadium vicinity is particularly famous for having next to nothing to do, no decent pubs or places to eat, etc.

My advice if you're looking to make a day of it? Spend the early part of the day in one of the following places instead, depending on what you like:

St. John's Wood: home of Lord's cricket ground, and very very posh. Swish restaurants and coffee shops.

Finchley Road or Swiss Cottage: where lots of Americans live in London, and the shops reflect it: burger joints, Nando's, a Walkabout pub, two cinemas and in the shape of the 02 Centre a very US-feeling "entertainment centre".

West Hampstead: quite a swish little neighbourhood, chock-full of decent places to eat before a game.

Kilburn and Willesden Green: the heart of multi-ethnic London - lots of Irish pubs and exotic eateries.

Let me know if you want more details on any of these places. All a better bet to spend the day before the game than Wembley, in my humble opinion, and there will be hotel options in all places. And they're all only minutes from Wembley on the Jubilee Line.

Should be a good weekend - can't wait!
Cheers,
LT

wullie
28.06.2008, 02:36 PM
Apologies if im repeating another post folks, but

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/livetravelnews/realtime/tube/track-closures.pdf

is now showing the Victoria Line closed the entire weekend, plus closures of the District and Jubilee line too (thankfully the Stratford end, not the Wembley end!)

Obviously for those traveling in from the outskirts, check your route carefully

Kenny Mac
28.06.2008, 03:10 PM
LondonTribe, you're the man. Excellent advice. I think I'll be spending most of my time away from Wembley as I wasn't too impressed with the area last year. I'd just like to be where most of the fans will be but its such a big city that I guess we'll be all over the place.
Oh, and welcome to the frat. :)

LondonTribe
29.06.2008, 08:28 AM
LondonTribe, you're the man. Excellent advice. I think I'll be spending most of my time away from Wembley as I wasn't too impressed with the area last year. I'd just like to be where most of the fans will be but its such a big city that I guess we'll be all over the place.
Oh, and welcome to the frat. :)

Thanks, good to be here! And good to know lots of US sports fans will be descending on my corner of London again this year! ;D

ESA2
30.06.2008, 09:36 AM
Staying at Park Royal Travelodge. I had thought Wembley was walking distance from there but its about twice as far as the Travelodge website claim so advice on tube or bus routes or taxifare estimates would be appreciated.

Cheers in advance.

AnotherExcuse
02.07.2008, 10:18 AM
Yeah it will take you a little while to walk. If I were you, I'd probably get the Piccadilly line to Sudbury Town and then walk to Wembley - would only be 2km or so. But bear in mind Wembley is a MODDED horrible place, might not be the most picturesque walk!

Your hotel can tell you bus routes and taxi fares.

rodley
03.07.2008, 04:54 PM
my son and i will be getting to kings cross sometime around 2pm i think on saturday...so i guess we wil have chance to suss out sundays arrangements once we are there and get our bearings.

travelling down from scarborough, not sure how the trains are then, i think its to york then change for kings cross... fingers crossed for no works being carried out!

VICTOR.KLARFELD@BT.COM
03.07.2008, 09:04 PM
from park royal just walk up to hanger lane and get the 83 bus with golders green on the front it goes through wembley high st and this goes past the stadium.

nopd44
08.07.2008, 12:07 AM
ok guys, i need some idea on how to get to Wembley from the area around Flitwick, Leighton Buzzard. I dont want to train into london to go to wembley. There are no national buses posted for that morning, so any other ideas ? We will have luggage with us. Any idea on Taxi cost? Thanks!

Stwi
08.07.2008, 08:12 AM
What time do we think the game will finish - 20:30?

And will I have any chance of making 21:37 train from Paddington?

Smeknamn
08.07.2008, 08:18 AM
The game should finish somewhere around 8pm and you will have plenty of time to get to Paddington, even taking account of queues.

But, if the game goes into overtime it could get pretty tight. The journey time is not a problem but the queues could be.

You will be better off using Wembley Central, although a 10-15 minute walk from the stadium that is just time you would most likely have been standing in a queue at Wembley Park anyway. But it will be less busy and you can then get the Bakerloo line direct to Paddington.

Michael.

Seagie
11.07.2008, 03:28 PM
Staying at Park Royal Travelodge. I had thought Wembley was walking distance from there but its about twice as far as the Travelodge website claim so advice on tube or bus routes or taxifare estimates would be appreciated.

Cheers in advance.

I'm in the same situation. At the moment I'm thinking of getting a taxi as it saves me messing about trying to work out all the local transport :)

ESA2
11.07.2008, 03:58 PM

Cheers in advance.

I'm in the same situation. At the moment I'm thinking of getting a taxi as it saves me messing about trying to work out all the local transport :)

Maybe bump into you there. Ill be the big handsome guy in a powder blue Tomlinson shirt ;D

Thanks to the guys for their advice.

wuds100
25.07.2008, 07:46 PM
Good advice advice from London Tribe Wembley
felt very plastic and had little atmosphere, can anyone guide
me to where the sports cafe is or anywhere showing the late games with nearby hotels?

howstonelake
09.08.2008, 06:09 PM
Is anyone going up by bus? I'm going from Cardiff but have to be back on the Sunday night for work on Monday :( If there's enough of us to get a bus it's be cheaper than train/car as well!

klaymore79
12.08.2008, 08:26 PM
Last year me and my dad did all this stuff ass-backwards, and managed to get ourselves down a lot cheaper that it was proving this time.

However, we have managed to get ourselves back from London on the Monday morning, from Euston to Motherwell, for £18.50 each on the Virgin train. Planning to book the Megabus from Glasgow to Victoria overnight on the Friday when it's available, costing £11 each.

So the main part of the travel is £30 return. Result.

SaintRam
03.09.2008, 12:42 PM
I'll be coming down from Birmingham. The good news is that there's a direct service from Birmingham Snow Hill to Wembley Stadium - great. The bad news is that the last one back leaves at 21:19, and, according to the bloke I've just spoken to at Chiltern Trains (the franchise that runs that particular service), there are no plans currently to add additional services - ****. >:(

Just in case anyone was planning that route you understand....

Catbird
03.09.2008, 05:01 PM
Just get one of the many trains heading towards Marylebone. Last train leaves there for Birmingham just before 23:00.

Catbird
03.09.2008, 05:04 PM

Cheers in advance.

Piece of ****, Piccadilly line to Rayners lane and then Met line to Wembley Park. Easy and will take you about 15 minutes ish.

bernabeu
05.09.2008, 11:58 AM
hi,
how i get from stansted airport to wembley and how i get from stansted to "downtown" London?
what ist the best and the cheapest way?

thank you very, very much.

Smeknamn
05.09.2008, 04:06 PM
It depends where in "downtown" London you want to go, it is a big place.

Best way:

The Stansted Express train is every fifteen minutes from the airport to Liverpool Street station (45 mins). At Liverpool Street get a westbound train Underground train from the Circle/Hammersmith & City/Metropolitan line platform.

If it is a Metropolitan line train (heading to Amersham, Uxbridge, or Watford) then it will go direct to Wembley Park (30 mins). Otherwise change at Baker Street (20 mins) for a Metropolitan line train to Wembley Park (10 mins)

For central London, leave the Stansted Express at Tottenham Hale (30 mins) and change onto the Underground here. The Victoria Line calls at Oxford Circus, Green Park, and Victoria and takes about 30 mins to those destinations.

The Stansted Express costs £17 (£26 return) to Liverpool Street and £15 (£24 return) to Tottenham Hale.
The Underground is £4 for either journey. You would be better off getting a Zone 1-4 Travelcard which is £5.90 and will give you unlimited travel within London on the day of issue.

Cheapest way:

Take the National Express route A9 coach from the Airport which goes to Stratford (50 mins) every 30 minutes. From there you can transfer onto the Underground. The Jubilee line starts here and goes direct to Wembley Park (55 mins) and this is the simplest option.

It will be quicker though to take the Central line to Liverpool Street (10 mins) and use the above routes. If you have bought a Travelcard you can also use any train service to Liverpool Street (5 mins) too.

For central London, the Central line calls at Tottenham Court Road, Oxford Street, Bond Street, and Marble Arch (25 mins).

The A9 coach costs £8 (£15 return) to Stratford.
The Underground is £4 for either journey. You would be better off getting a Zone 1-4 Travelcard which is £5.90 and will give you unlimited travel within London on the day of issue.

Michael.

georgiat
05.09.2008, 06:08 PM
Maybe a little off topic, but what is the best way to get from Heathrow to central London (Mayfair/Green Park)? I've always taken a taxi in the past but that was on expense account so now I'm looking at train options but don't want it to be too much of a hassle if we have a lot of luggage.

And what is the best way to get to Wembley from central London?

Smeknamn
05.09.2008, 06:41 PM
You can get a Piccadilly line from Heathrow airport to Green Park. The cheapest option as you can use a Travelcard, but you may not want to do that with too much luggage.

Otherwise National Express have a minibus shuttle service that will take you to your hotel. The price is between £15 and £20 per person depending on how many in your group. I think you need to book in advance, but the address is http://dot2.com/

The best way to Wembley from Central London depends where you are starting from. But from Green Park or Bond Street you can get the Jubilee line direct to Wembley Park.

From Piccadilly Circus or Oxford Circus I would take the Bakerloo line to Marylebone and get a train to Wembley Stadium station, although if you prefer you can change at Baker Street instead for the Metropolitan line and that way get to walk down Wembley Way.

Michael.

Chris Hermitage
09.09.2008, 04:20 PM
This is the perfect and easiest way to Wembley I have taken many times.

Get the underground to Baker Street then get off and walk to Marylebone (or get the tube to there) then take the overground. When there is a game on at Wembley the trains go straight to Wembley

Kinch
10.09.2008, 11:45 PM
It looks like I'll be getting tickets to the Chelsea/Liverpool match the afternoon of the Wembley game.

Any footie fans out there that have been to a game at Stamford Bridge and have any suggestions for getting out of there and Wembley-ways with as little fuss as possible?

Thanks

Smeknamn
11.09.2008, 12:03 AM
Walk to West Brompton and take the Overground to Willesden Junction (half hourly service). From there change onto either the Bakerloo line or a Watford Overground train (they use the same platform) to Wembley Central.

I have never been to Stamford Bridge (or any other soccer match for that matter), but West Brompton is one of the stations used by Chelsea fans so I presume it is easy to find from the stadium.

You have to walk through Wembley town centre to the stadium, but it is the quickest journey at abut 20 minutes plus however long you have to wait.

Otherwise you can also get an Edgware Road bound District line train from West Brompton (every 10 mins) to Paddington, change onto the Bakerloo line to Marylebone, then get a direct train to Wembley Stadium station. That should take 35 mins plus waiting time.

Michael.

Kinch
11.09.2008, 02:09 AM
Thanks!

nyyankeescom
14.09.2008, 07:50 PM
A Note for anyone driving down to Wembley.

If you get there earlier enough - Wembley Park station is free on a station - Wembley staff no longer park here as a staff car park as been allocated near the ground - so i'm sure there will be loads of spaces now!

martin_g
16.09.2008, 03:32 PM
Could any of you guys tell me the best way to get from Heathrow Airport to Ealing Broadway please. Im not sure how much a Taxi would cost but i reckon it would be alot.

clark
16.09.2008, 04:49 PM
I went on ryanair yesterday and got flights from glasgow to standstead for £20 return, they are doing that from almost all airports that fly there, then its only another £12 return for airport transfers, so £32 return trip to london...Great deal, same as last year. hope i dont lose my oyster card again though, lost £12 on it last time after half a day!

Mr Munns
19.09.2008, 11:19 AM
Maybe a little off topic, but what is the best way to get from Heathrow to central London (Mayfair/Green Park)? I've always taken a taxi in the past but that was on expense account so now I'm looking at train options but don't want it to be too much of a hassle if we have a lot of luggage.

And what is the best way to get to Wembley from central London?

Easiest way is underground by far....

Mr Munns
19.09.2008, 11:22 AM
Could any of you guys tell me the best way to get from Heathrow Airport to Ealing Broadway please. Im not sure how much a Taxi would cost but i reckon it would be alot.

A taxi would be about £30.00. though you could get a bus N91 to Hayes and then Ealing Broadway is two stops on the train.

Some local taxi numbers for Heathrow are 01895444333 or 01753545000 or 01753711711 these will save you some cash as the black cabs are well over priced

(I live right next to airport by the way)

nopd44
19.09.2008, 07:21 PM
I finally hired a taxi from Leighton Buzzard to Wembley for 50 pounds one way for my sis and I. I really didnt want to train to Wembley via London with the luggage as we have one night in wembley.

ciaranmccormick
20.09.2008, 04:01 PM
im getting ryanair into stansted on sunday morning
dont have a clue how to get to my hotel (Quality Hotel Wembley) :P

stanstedexpress.com says there is a £24 return train ticket to liverpool street station, and i know there is an underground tube at liverpool street

anyhelp on what stop i need to go to from lpool street would be appreciated!

Hank
20.09.2008, 04:11 PM
The quickest route to Wembley Stadium from central London is with Chiltern Railways – only 9 minutes direct from London Marylebone Station to Wembley Stadium.

Extra trains will be running specially for the game. If you are travelling from the north, Chiltern run from Birmingham, and also have a number of stations which are ideal to park your car and then take the train directly to the stadium.

Visit www.chilternrailways.co.uk for more details and for timetable information.

bognor_pat
20.09.2008, 05:51 PM
The best route i have found for anybody getting to Wembley Park and who arrives at Waterloo on the day of the game is join the Jubilee line that goes towards Stanmore.

Britrock19
25.09.2008, 11:26 AM
im getting ryanair into stansted on sunday morning
dont have a clue how to get to my hotel (Quality Hotel Wembley) :P

stanstedexpress.com says there is a £24 return train ticket to liverpool street station, and i know there is an underground tube at liverpool street

anyhelp on what stop i need to go to from lpool street would be appreciated!

From Liverpool St get the Metropolitan Line (maroon) all the way up to Wembley Park. Takes about half an hour and you won't have to change.

Britrock19
25.09.2008, 11:28 AM
The best route i have found for anybody getting to Wembley Park and who arrives at Waterloo on the day of the game is join the Jubilee line that goes towards Stanmore.

If you're in a rush though, change to the Metropolitan Line at Baker St, it only stops once before Wembley Park, whereas the Jubilee Line stops 8 times between Baker St and Wembley.

powys colt2
26.09.2008, 07:51 PM
im taking the national express bus, gets to wembley at 2-30pm and drops you off right there and leaves at 9-00pm

Jambos
29.09.2008, 12:57 PM
The quickest route to Wembley Stadium from central London is with Chiltern Railways – only 9 minutes direct from London Marylebone Station to Wembley Stadium.

Extra trains will be running specially for the game. If you are travelling from the north, Chiltern run from Birmingham, and also have a number of stations which are ideal to park your car and then take the train directly to the stadium.

Visit www.chilternrailways.co.uk for more details and for timetable information.

will there be extra trains going away from london too?

W9 Bear
30.09.2008, 11:44 AM
im taking the national express bus, gets to wembley at 2-30pm and drops you off right there and leaves at 9-00pm

Leaves at 9pm? If you stay until the end you won't make that coach.

powys colt2
30.09.2008, 12:47 PM
im pretty sure if the game is still going on the buses will wait as they are there for the game.

BAZILBARRY
01.10.2008, 12:08 AM
How long would it take by taxi from Paddington to Wembley Travelodge and any idea of the cost please?

DangerousRFC
01.10.2008, 11:49 AM
How long would it take by taxi from Paddington to Wembley Travelodge and any idea of the cost please?

It's about a half hour walk from the "Wembley" Travel Lodge (large White building) right next to the dual carriageway. (There are 2 Travel lodges in the vicinity of Wembley the othee being Park Royal Wembley which is about a further mile away) we made this mistake last year and went to the one furthest away and ended up walking right past the Wembley one.

nerazzurri
01.10.2008, 11:51 AM

If you're in a rush though, change to the Metropolitan Line at Baker St, it only stops once before Wembley Park, whereas the Jubilee Line stops 8 times between Baker St and Wembley.

When I lived in Uxbridge I always found that it was easier and at least as quick to change at Finchley Road (the intermediate stop), where the platforms are next to each other, rather than spending several minutes wandering around Baker St.

RSeitz
09.10.2008, 10:21 AM
Hi,
I'm staying at the NH Harrington Hall Hotel and wanted to know what is the fastest way to get to wembley. The next Tube station seems to be Gloucester Road. How long does it take to get to wembley?

W9 Bear
09.10.2008, 11:30 AM
Hi,
I'm staying at the NH Harrington Hall Hotel and wanted to know what is the fastest way to get to wembley. The next Tube station seems to be Gloucester Road. How long does it take to get to wembley?

http://journeyplanner.tfl.gov.uk/user/XSLT_TRIP_REQUEST2?language=en

dmcswiney
09.10.2008, 07:58 PM
my tip for anyone travelling down from the north by car pull off the M1 just inside the M25 and park at stanmore only a couple of stop via tube and your at wembley park

Magnitude
10.10.2008, 12:15 AM
Rightio -

I'm going to be coming down by coach from Leeds in the morning, ideally. Does anyone know where the best National Express stop in London is for me to get a tube/whatever else to Wembley, please?

I can't get a direct Wembley coach because it leaves too early, takes too long and costs £10 more than the other London coaches.

Help would be appreciated!

Coops84
10.10.2008, 01:59 PM
I don't know if this helps anyone, but last year and the same again this year, a load of us from Nottingham are driving down in a mini-bus and we're getting dropped at a nearby Tesco's. It's about a 10-15minute walk to the stadium that way. It sounds far but it's not really, plus it'll be quicker to get out of London than queuing half an hour/45mins for the tube.
And on the walk from tesco's last year we passed a couple of unofficial car parks which were charging £10. Cant say fairer than that.

11.10.2008, 10:52 AM
Rightio -

I'm going to be coming down by coach from Leeds in the morning, ideally. Does anyone know where the best National Express stop in London is for me to get a tube/whatever else to Wembley, please?

I can't get a direct Wembley coach because it leaves too early, takes too long and costs £10 more than the other London coaches.

...National Express coaches normally stop at Marble Arch/Park Lane. It's just a short walk down Oxford St to Bond St tube station where you can get the Jubilee Line northbound straight to Wembley Park station or you can take the same tube and change at Baker St station onto the Metropolitan line where it'll stop fewer times to Wembley Park.

I think I remember National Express coaches stopping at Golders Green, too - although you might have to ask the coach driver especially for this. If it does stop there then the #83 bus goes from Golders Green to Wembley Stadium - although I haven't lived in London for years so my memory of London bus routes is sketchy lol

Magnitude
11.10.2008, 12:48 PM
Rightio -

...National Express coaches normally stop at Marble Arch/Park Lane. It's just a short walk down Oxford St to Bond St tube station where you can get the Jubilee Line northbound straight to Wembley Park station or you can take the same tube and change at Baker St station onto the Metropolitan line where it'll stop fewer times to Wembley Park.

I think I remember National Express coaches stopping at Golders Green, too - although you might have to ask the coach driver especially for this. If it does stop there then the #83 bus goes from Golders Green to Wembley Stadium - although I haven't lived in London for years so my memory of London bus routes is sketchy lol

That was excellent! ;D thank you.

12.10.2008, 11:38 AM
Rightio -

That was excellent! ;D thank you.

...I forgot to mention that the Golders Green bus terminal is before the Marble Arch/Park Lane stop and so it would be the quicker option. However, like I said, I think you have to ask the coach driver if they can stop there - and, of course, they might say no!

Reevzee
12.10.2008, 12:32 PM
Guys I'm coming from Taunton, Somerset. Now I've heard one of the best ways of getting to Wembley is to drive to Uxbridge and then get the tube to Wembley. Is this the best (affordable-I know a train ticket costs something around the £70 mark) way of getting to wembley?

Advice would be very much appreciated as I've never been to Wembley before in my life. Cheers guys, not long now, really looking forward to it.

:)

scotball
12.10.2008, 01:01 PM
Parking at Uxbridge on a Sunday should be OK. Take Metropolitan Line to Baker Street or Aldgate and get off at Wembly Park. I think the fare is £4 each way or get a 1 day travel card.

Mohamed1983
13.10.2008, 01:10 AM
I would advise all the people visiting London to just buy a one-day Travel card instead of using an Oyster card. The travel card costs £7 ($12/€9), but the advantage of this is that you do not need to look for an Oyster card and bother with the whole deposit/reclaim issue, neither will you have to worry if you have enough money on the Oyster or whether you need to top up because you've stepped out of zone. You can purchase a one-day, all-zone travel card from any London Underground station. It's just much more convenient for a one-off weekend.

Mohamed1983
13.10.2008, 01:21 AM

If you're in a super, super rush though....change to the Metropolitan Line at Finchley Road instead of Baker Street. You will have to remain on the Jubilee line for an additional two stops, however the advantage here is that you will not have to walk around forever at the massive Baker Street station to get to the Metropolitan Line platform. If you get off at Finchley Road, the Metropolitan Line is literally on the same platform as the Jubilee Line.

Actually, everyone should do this...rush, super rush or not.

gemsypoo82
13.10.2008, 09:30 AM
Hi

We are driving down from Scotland on Saturday Night/Sunday morning and staying at the Travel Lodge London Park Royal. Can anyone advise the best way to get to the stadium from there? My Dad reckons we can walk but according to Google Maps it will take 50 mins to walk.

Thanks
Gemma

Mohamed1983
13.10.2008, 11:39 AM
You should walk to Park Royal station (about a mile from the hotel), and get on the Piccadilly Line towards Rayners Lane or Uxbridge. Get off at Alperton Station and take Bus 83 towards Golders Green.

Storm 67
13.10.2008, 05:56 PM
Travelled down from Northamptonshire by car last year, parked up at Stanmore tube cost £2 all day and travel card was about £5

eaglesphil
13.10.2008, 06:32 PM
sounds a good option - is there much parking at stanmore?

phil4737
13.10.2008, 09:17 PM
sounds a good option - is there much parking at stanmore?

Normally plenty,an alternative would be Rickmansworth.which is on the Metropolitan Line and also goes straight to Wembley.

dougiemcgovern
15.10.2008, 10:25 AM
I heard that there was a train that goes directly from Kings Cross to Wembley.... is this true???

topper
15.10.2008, 10:59 AM
Anybody catching a train from Reading? Would be nice to hook up with some supporters on the way. Cool.

phil4737
18.10.2008, 09:13 AM
I heard that there was a train that goes directly from Kings Cross to Wembley.... is this true???

I know weekdays that TUBE trains run direct but think you may have to change on sunday at Baker Street.

It may be quicker to just get the first tube heading for Baker Street then change onto the Metroplitan Line.Most trains stop at Wembley on game days.

bognor_pat
18.10.2008, 03:48 PM
Can i use a off peak travelcard from getting from Clapham Junction to Waterloo?

Swain
20.10.2008, 09:24 PM
A Note for anyone driving down to Wembley.

If you get there earlier enough - Wembley Park station is free on a station - Wembley staff no longer park here as a staff car park as been allocated near the ground - so i'm sure there will be loads of spaces now!

When you say early, wat time do u mean, because i was thinking of driving to uxbridge and tube it, but if Wembley Park Station is free i might leave early and park there

michael walford
21.10.2008, 11:23 AM
Hi, will be driving down from Stoke for the game. The plan at the moment is to get down early and park at Watford train station. Then jump on the train straight to wembly. Just wanted some advice on this.

Will there be any problems parking at watford station and the train to wembly i believe is only 20 odd mins right.

Thanks for any help guys

P.S- Only just seen the above post, any more info on parking at wembly station. Would that be easier.

isenhame
22.10.2008, 06:57 PM
Hi there

Im heading down from Scotland overnight on the coach will be getting to Victoria coach station, early doors with the clocks going back this weekend it will be 6.30am, first time in London city centre wierdly lol is it worth trying to see a few things in London first if so any suggestions? also any suggestions of somewhere to try and grab some food early on sunday morning?

Any help appreciated

Many thanks

Neil

TheOrangeCrush
23.10.2008, 09:37 AM
One place you don't want to go is Madame Tassaud's...

Food - try the Cheers bar!

clark
23.10.2008, 10:31 AM
Hi there

Im heading down from Scotland overnight on the coach will be getting to Victoria coach station, early doors with the clocks going back this weekend it will be 6.30am, first time in London city centre wierdly lol is it worth trying to see a few things in London first if so any suggestions? also any suggestions of somewhere to try and grab some food early on sunday morning?

Any help appreciated

Many thanks

Neil

I did exactly that last year, was a nightmare coach journey, no room and one stop about an hour to go.
Got to the station at 6am, walked to buckingham palace, though I'd rather be at eddy castle, and then went to Oxford street and wandered for a while until 2pm when my travel-inn was ready.

Clark

DangerousRFC
23.10.2008, 12:37 PM
Anybody catching a train from Reading? Would be nice to hook up with some supporters on the way. Cool.

Yeah, not sure what time yet though.

alwaysabear
24.10.2008, 12:24 PM
For those fans travelling to Wembley from South Essex. The Jubilee line is closed all weekend between Stratford and North Greenwich. A replacement bus is available but can increase journey times by up to 25 mins. The Hammersith and City is being suggested as an alternative.

phantom567
24.10.2008, 01:52 PM
Hi there

Any help appreciated

Many thanks

Neil

Hi isenhame,

Get Vitoria line to Oxford Circus do Oxford Street, get some early Christmas shopping in!!
Then back to Oxford Circus, Bakerloo line to Wembley Central in time to buy me a cup of tea for the ticket!!

Have fun.

Enjoy the game!

ChrisA16892
25.10.2008, 12:25 PM
I live in Ealing, West London.

What's the quickest way to Wembley by train?