Sunday 23 October 2016

VS  

Sunday 30 October 2016

VS  

Go Back   NFL UK Forums > 32 NFL Teams > Pittsburgh Steelers

Sponsored Links

Old 10.03.2017, 10:09 PM
Pro Bowler

Lawrence Timmons signs for Miami in a 2 year,12M deal with 11M guaranteed.These numbers are in line with what has been projected since seasons end.I thought it was on the high side and also had a feeling we could do business at a discounted rate,my gut feeling was he was just that kind of player.

I think what also influenced me was comparing it to Harrisons' situation.,who ended up with a 2 year 3.5M deal.I think most would also argue Timmons was easier to replace.I would love to know what we were prepared to offer and how much less,if anything,than the Dolphins deal he was prepared to accept.

Coach Tomlins first ever pick has been a solid contributor who seemed to be a leader who let his play on the field do the talking and I am always going to root for that kind of player.

I have gone back and forth for weeks over whether we should have paid up,the value of the contract seems high but continuity and intangibles must count for something.It's probably a borderline decision,I am fairly happy today to make the deal but possibly regretting it in a years time.

The hometown thing and tax implications must also have been factors but it also seems that he will now be playing in the middle of a 4-3.

Last edited by redcar_steeler; 10.03.2017 at 10:30 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 11.03.2017, 11:57 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcar_steeler View Post
Lawrence Timmons signs for Miami in a 2 year,12M deal with 11M guaranteed.These numbers are in line with what has been projected since seasons end.I thought it was on the high side and also had a feeling we could do business at a discounted rate,my gut feeling was he was just that kind of player.

I think what also influenced me was comparing it to Harrisons' situation.,who ended up with a 2 year 3.5M deal.I think most would also argue Timmons was easier to replace.I would love to know what we were prepared to offer and how much less,if anything,than the Dolphins deal he was prepared to accept.

Coach Tomlins first ever pick has been a solid contributor who seemed to be a leader who let his play on the field do the talking and I am always going to root for that kind of player.

I have gone back and forth for weeks over whether we should have paid up,the value of the contract seems high but continuity and intangibles must count for something.It's probably a borderline decision,I am fairly happy today to make the deal but possibly regretting it in a years time.

The hometown thing and tax implications must also have been factors but it also seems that he will now be playing in the middle of a 4-3.
Miami is tough to compete with. He's a southern boy (South Carolina), played college ball at Florida State, Miami has all the weather / lifestyle things players love which is why so many live there in the offseason, they're a decent team now hence making the playoffs last year, you get the challenge of the Patriots twice a year if you like that kind of thing, no state income tax and, most important, they offered him most money.

Shame he's gone though, he's the one I really wanted to retain. I'm on record as a big Vince Williams fan and I think he will step up and do well starting, as he mostly has when required to for injuries. Not a 3-down linebacker though so you'll want to rely on Shazier and extra DB(s) on obvious passing plays. I don't mind that myself, keep an extra D lineman in there rather than the 2 in sub packages and try to bull rush up the middle. Think with Hargrave we might now have someone who can do that!
Old 13.03.2017, 11:40 AM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by European Bob View Post
Miami is tough to compete with. He's a southern boy (South Carolina), played college ball at Florida State, Miami has all the weather / lifestyle things players love which is why so many live there in the offseason, they're a decent team now hence making the playoffs last year, you get the challenge of the Patriots twice a year if you like that kind of thing, no state income tax and, most important, they offered him most money.

Shame he's gone though, he's the one I really wanted to retain. I'm on record as a big Vince Williams fan and I think he will step up and do well starting, as he mostly has when required to for injuries. Not a 3-down linebacker though so you'll want to rely on Shazier and extra DB(s) on obvious passing plays. I don't mind that myself, keep an extra D lineman in there rather than the 2 in sub packages and try to bull rush up the middle. Think with Hargrave we might now have someone who can do that!
Williams is good in run support but like you say not a 3 down player. The depth chart is a bit thin now especially with Shaz not being able to make it through a full season without injury.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcar_steeler View Post

Timmons did say he was willing to give us a home town discount at 1 point, but I think we tried to lowball him too much last year that he had to test the market before we could try to re-sign him.
Old 12.04.2017, 09:53 PM
All Pro

I was drafting for the Steelers in this years community mock draft.

1. Mike Williams, WR, Clemson - The best receiver in the draft, no way in reality he falls to #30. 6'4", good speed & great hands, he should be a top receiver for year to come & can start on day 1 opposite AB. Our receiving core is thin, just look at the playoff perfomances, sure Bryant is coming back but I'm not sure if we give him another contract after this year.

2. Carl Lawson, OLB, Auburn - I was looking at Lawson as a potential 1st round pick so when he slid all the way to me in the 2nd round I was more than happy to snap him up! A powerful & explosive pass rusher who played from both the 2 & 3 point stance in college. Obviously hes going to have to learn what we ask our pass rushers to do but another steal here.

3a. Gerald Everett, TE, S. Alabama - I'm a big fan of Everett although in hindsight Rasul Douglas (CB - WVU) might have been the correct way to go here, although after what Ben's apparently said this week I'm not complaining too much. He's a big athletic tight end that can go out and make plays and dominate in the middle of the field and red zone. Unlike other athletic "basketball type" tight ends Everett can block as well so would be perfect for our offence.

3b. Tedric Thompson, S, Colorado - This was a tough pick, there had been a real run on DBs in the 2nd/3rd rounds and Thompson was top of my board of what was left. If we hadn't have signed Knile Davis I might have gone RB here instead. Thompson is an athletic free safety with good coverage and playmaking skills (10 interceptions in college). Needs to improve his tackling but if he can earn a helmet through special teams he could see snaps in sub packages.

4. Jalen Reeves-Maybin, LB, Tennessee Another player I'm a fan of as a mid round pick for us. Reeves-Maybin is a hybrid linebacker/safety prospect
that can play all 3 downs. He's a similar size to Shazier although not as fast (4.65 40 which is still 1 of the fastest times in this years linebacker class) he's another tackling machine. Coming off an injury this year but if he can stay healthy he can compete to fill the Timmons void.

5. Nate Hairston, CB, Temple - A boom or bust project, Hairston is a former receiver turned corner in college. He lacks experience at the position but at 6' tall with 4.50 speed he has the physical tools and with the right coaching could be a real diamond in the rough. You wouldn't want to leave him on an island straight away but in zone coverage he's rarely beaten and a solid tackler who with the right development could turn into a starting corner in the league.

6. T.J Logan, RB, North Carolina - A small, fast change of pace 3rd down back that we've been looking for, for a few years. Can compete for a kick return job (2 return tds last year). Not sure if he'll turn out any better than Dri Archer but I'm a lot more comfortable drafting this sort of player in the 6th as opposed to the 3rd.

7. Noble Nwachukwu, OLB, West Virginia - The classic tweener pash rusher that we've typically drafted in the mid-late rounds over the years. Nwachukwu is athletic and explosive although short for the position.

These are all our original picks - I didn't trade any to move up/down the board. You can see the full draft here http://forum.nfluk.com/showthread.php?t=110402 to see what you would have done differently!
Old 17.04.2017, 03:55 PM
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheshiremulisha View Post
I was drafting for the Steelers in this years community mock draft.

1. Mike Williams, WR, Clemson - The best receiver in the draft, no way in reality he falls to #30. 6'4", good speed & great hands, he should be a top receiver for year to come & can start on day 1 opposite AB. Our receiving core is thin, just look at the playoff perfomances, sure Bryant is coming back but I'm not sure if we give him another contract after this year.

2. Carl Lawson, OLB, Auburn - I was looking at Lawson as a potential 1st round pick so when he slid all the way to me in the 2nd round I was more than happy to snap him up! A powerful & explosive pass rusher who played from both the 2 & 3 point stance in college. Obviously hes going to have to learn what we ask our pass rushers to do but another steal here.

3a. Gerald Everett, TE, S. Alabama - I'm a big fan of Everett although in hindsight Rasul Douglas (CB - WVU) might have been the correct way to go here, although after what Ben's apparently said this week I'm not complaining too much. He's a big athletic tight end that can go out and make plays and dominate in the middle of the field and red zone. Unlike other athletic "basketball type" tight ends Everett can block as well so would be perfect for our offence.

3b. Tedric Thompson, S, Colorado - This was a tough pick, there had been a real run on DBs in the 2nd/3rd rounds and Thompson was top of my board of what was left. If we hadn't have signed Knile Davis I might have gone RB here instead. Thompson is an athletic free safety with good coverage and playmaking skills (10 interceptions in college). Needs to improve his tackling but if he can earn a helmet through special teams he could see snaps in sub packages.

4. Jalen Reeves-Maybin, LB, Tennessee Another player I'm a fan of as a mid round pick for us. Reeves-Maybin is a hybrid linebacker/safety prospect
that can play all 3 downs. He's a similar size to Shazier although not as fast (4.65 40 which is still 1 of the fastest times in this years linebacker class) he's another tackling machine. Coming off an injury this year but if he can stay healthy he can compete to fill the Timmons void.

5. Nate Hairston, CB, Temple - A boom or bust project, Hairston is a former receiver turned corner in college. He lacks experience at the position but at 6' tall with 4.50 speed he has the physical tools and with the right coaching could be a real diamond in the rough. You wouldn't want to leave him on an island straight away but in zone coverage he's rarely beaten and a solid tackler who with the right development could turn into a starting corner in the league.

6. T.J Logan, RB, North Carolina - A small, fast change of pace 3rd down back that we've been looking for, for a few years. Can compete for a kick return job (2 return tds last year). Not sure if he'll turn out any better than Dri Archer but I'm a lot more comfortable drafting this sort of player in the 6th as opposed to the 3rd.

7. Noble Nwachukwu, OLB, West Virginia - The classic tweener pash rusher that we've typically drafted in the mid-late rounds over the years. Nwachukwu is athletic and explosive although short for the position.

These are all our original picks - I didn't trade any to move up/down the board. You can see the full draft here http://forum.nfluk.com/showthread.php?t=110402 to see what you would have done differently!
1.Mike Williams WRI think this was a tricky spot.Going for any of the pass rushers or DB's available here felt like a slight reach.Going for Williams seems great value at this spot.I would have concerns about his speed.I think a line up Bell,AB,Williams and James at the skill positions lacks a true blazer.On the plus size you have a receiver who will win more than his share of contested catches and will be a much needed redzone weapon.Hoping we have a Plax-type here rather than a Treadwell

2.Carl Lawson OLBAgain,another tricky spot.After a run of pass rushers you were left with Lawson and maybe Basham as options.Lawson is a strange one,a player of outstanding strengths and glaring weaknesses.A relentless player who is explosive,powerful and has strong hand use .The negatives being poor agility,shown by an awful 3 cone(a similair problem to Bud Duprees),short arms and an injury-prone tag.Not exactly what you would call a well-rounded player but hopefully a good coach can get the best out of his undoubted strengths and iron out some of the bad parts.

3.Gerald Everett TEI like the idea of taking a TE who can present some matchup problems.He can chip in as a blocker which is a must for me,hate those receiver only types.Will become more of an asset as his route running improves.Looks like a dangerous runner with the ball who will fight for every yard.Don't mind the pick in isolation but not really a fan of taking 2 receivers in first 3 picks.However there is an argument for taking what the board gives you and there is good DB depth available.

3bTedric Thompson STaking a DB here makes the early receiver picks more acceptable.Thompson is a ball hawk we are always looking for but there seem to be question marks against him as a tackler in terms of willingness and technique.Also has a concussion history I believe which we have had our fill of already.

4.Jalen Reeves-MaybinThere is a big need for someone who can step in for Vince Williams on passing downs.Could hopefully cover for Shazier on run downs in a pinch.

5Nate Hairston CBAnother need filled.Good size corner,strong in run-support,ball skills as an ex-receiver.As a recent(2015)position convert,you would think there is plenty of room for improvement.

6.TJ Logan WRLove the player but not sure if he fits in with what we need.If Bell is playing,Logan isn't going to see the field much on passing downs which is where his strength lies.If Bell is injured he seems a little lightweight to carry the load.I would be 100% behind this pick if he had a dependable no.2 back behind Bell which we don't.Would give us a weapon on kick returns too.

7.Noble Wachukwu OLBDouble dipping is almost mandatory this year.Due to his measureables is getting tagged as a tweener but if he can generate some pressure I don't care.

Hopefully the board will play out a bit more kindly in the real thing.Seems like you decided you weren't going to reach at the top and then picked off all areas of need one by one while getting value.Looking at the options available I can't see one spot where there was a significantly better option in my opinion.Slight concern that there seems to be a few players with injury concerns but this is part of the reason you got them where you did.Lots to like overall,well done!
Old 26.04.2017, 10:48 AM
All Pro

Just over 24 hours before the draft starts, anybody got any mocks or even just 1st round predictions?

It seems like none of the draft "experts" can agree on which direction we're going to go in the 1st (any position but rb, o-line & d-line!)

I'll stick my neck out and predict - Jabrill Peppers - S/LB, Michigan
Old 26.04.2017, 08:57 PM
Pro Bowler

Predraft thoughts on Offense

WR - Getting back Bryant is huge but can he be relied on? Coates' comes back healthy,hopefully the mangled hand story has been overblown - we need to rebuild Sammies's confidence as much as anything as I think we did a horrible job last year with him.Rogers and Ayers should improve as slot options.I believe there is still potential for this to be the best group in the league but it could so easily be a sub-par line up.It's impossible to make an accurate judgement call from the outside but I am feeling optimistic so I say we trust in what we have.Maybe consider an outside receiver with potential later on.

TE - Again a big question mark against a big player.My gut feeling is that I have less confidence in Green than I do in the Bryant/Coates combo to be an asset to the team this year.I like James' chance to build on last year,he's unlikely to ever scare anyone as a receiver but he could became a decent all-rounder.If he can give near David Johnson-level blocking it really does open up our options.Adding someone from this years talented bunch is a must but we don't have to do it early.For me it depends on how the board falls with the bigger areas of need

RB - Knile Davis has caught my eye down the years with the odd big return and you see potential with a nice size speed combo.Then you see a career average of 3.2 yards per carry along with ball security issues.DW has done a great job but he's at the end of the line.We have to made a big decision on Bell soon so I think we need to bring in a player who is going to be either a potential replacement or can keep some tread off the tyres.I wouldn't mind seeing us pick up a player capable of carrying the load if needed anywhere from 3rd round on

QB - Too much interest to think we won't take one.No earlier than a 3rd for me but no complaints if we don't address the position

OL - Can't see much reason to dip in here

Last edited by redcar_steeler; 26.04.2017 at 09:00 PM.
Old 26.04.2017, 09:27 PM
Pro Bowler

Things are much more tricky on the other side on the ball

OLB - Let's get the easy one out of the way first.Vital to find an immediate contributor the the rotation who can step in as a starter next year.No-one is going to step in and be able to do the things no.92 does but we should end up with a player who is less of a liability in space.A double-dip is a possibility and a pickup in the first 2 rounds is preferred

DB - I don't know the best way to do it but we need to continue to add talent to the secondary.Slot-corner,nickle-back,hybrid,3rd safety,whatever.We need to get better at defending the Gronks and the Edelmans.At least one early pick maybe even two

ILB - The courting of Hightower was a strange development.Was it even genuine? Are we willing to spend a high pick on a 3 down player who can be an upgrade from V.Williams.It is probably easier and less costly to find a player who can come in on passing downs as well as providing over for Shazier at the mack position.Might depend on what,if any,kind of addition we make at Safety as there might be some crossover

DL - Maybe a later round pick for depth only

Last edited by redcar_steeler; 26.04.2017 at 09:41 PM.
Old 26.04.2017, 09:59 PM
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheshiremulisha View Post
Just over 24 hours before the draft starts, anybody got any mocks or even just 1st round predictions?

It seems like none of the draft "experts" can agree on which direction we're going to go in the 1st (any position but rb, o-line & d-line!)

I'll stick my neck out and predict - Jabrill Peppers - S/LB, Michigan
Seems to be becoming increasingly popular pick - who do you actually want who you think will be there? 3 names would be nice,more,better still.
Old 27.04.2017, 02:03 AM
Hall of Fame

If I had to pick three possibilities for the Steelers out of the realistic options at #30, it would probably be Takkarist McKinley, Budda Baker and David Njoku.

I think any realistic chance Jabrill Peppers had of going in the first round disappeared when he had his "failed test", although it wouldn't be a massive surprise if someone at the end of the round pulled the trigger...