VS  

Sunday 30 October 2016

VS  

Go Back   NFL UK Forums > 32 NFL Teams > Dallas Cowboys

Sponsored Links

Old 26.02.2017, 03:53 PM
Hall of Fame

Default 2017 Draft

With the combine just around the corner it's time to create a '2017 Draft' thread me thinks!

Inspired by comments elsewhere, I was wondering, would anyone be willing to draft a WR or TE in round 1? Obviously all eyes are on plugging holes on the other side of the ball, pass rush especially, possibly the secondary too depending on Free Agency. I don't think many would invest another 1st round pick in the O line, QB and RB are sorted for now too, but WR depth is poor and Jason Witten wont be around forever.

How good would a player have to be to 'force' you to take the best offensive player available? If one of the top WR's somehow made it to 28? What if you have a WR or TE ranked 10 on your board and he somehow makes it to 28?

For me it depends on how you build your board, do you factor in need at all? I can't see a scenario where there is a clear separation (10 or so spots) between a DE or DB and a WR or TE when the Cowboys are on the clock.

Personally I'd take the highest rated pass rusher left on my board at 28. All the pressure that Marinelli created using DB's at the end of the year makes defensive back intriguing, but I'm not sure if those positions are as vital as they seem sometimes.

A lot will change in the coming months, but what's the best way forward as things stand?
Sponsored Links
Old 27.02.2017, 04:24 PM
Team Captain

Depends who is available I suppose. If the player you were looking to draft has gone do you go for the next one on your list or move on to other needs.

We are going to have to replace Witten in the next year or two so that could be a priority. I always think you can find some decent WR talent in the later rounds. And we could maybe trade up for a certain pick if we have some draft picks to play with.
Old 28.02.2017, 05:15 PM
Hall of Fame

Carl Lawson is an intriguing name. A few years back he was being talked about as a top 10 type player. Injuries derailed that potential it seems but he was healthy last year.

The Cowboys might find themselves having to choose between durability and potential with him. Quite a few of these speed rushers have one worry or another though.
Old 05.03.2017, 12:02 PM
All Pro

I wouldnt have a problem drafting the top TE (Howard by all accounts) at 28, or one of the top 2 WRs, neither of which is going to happen. Think unless we trade up, we have to go either pass rusher or DB, personally like the look of Taco Charlton, and wont be upset if hes still on the board at 28, BUT we still have a couple of those to try-regardless of wether Gregory is cut or not, Charles Tapper could be anything-we dont know yet.I would go for best DB at 28 this stage, given age/injury issues, we have got away with it for a couple of seasons now, and dont want to see Jones "filling in" again-tho has been a tad dissapointing at safety?
Old 06.03.2017, 04:56 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonestar1963 View Post
I wouldnt have a problem drafting the top TE (Howard by all accounts) at 28, or one of the top 2 WRs, neither of which is going to happen. Think unless we trade up, we have to go either pass rusher or DB, personally like the look of Taco Charlton, and wont be upset if hes still on the board at 28, BUT we still have a couple of those to try-regardless of wether Gregory is cut or not, Charles Tapper could be anything-we dont know yet.I would go for best DB at 28 this stage, given age/injury issues, we have got away with it for a couple of seasons now, and dont want to see Jones "filling in" again-tho has been a tad dissapointing at safety?
40 isn't everything (and I don't know his 10 yard split without looking for it) but Taco Charlton ran a 4.92 40. That isn't exactly a dynamic number for a DE, especially if you are looking for a more explosive prototype RDE. His size suggests he's more of LDE. Now he might be a disruptive LDE, which clearly has value, but who knows.

The Cowboys, for a number of years now, seem to have had prototype LDE's, bigger guys that are more suited to stopping the run. T Crawford, J Crawford, D Irving, guys that can slide inside in the nickel even. They've struggled to find a replacement for Ware, someone to come off the blindside in a flash and get to the QB. Lawrence and Gregory, Ware's 'replacements' have been injured or suspended. In Lawrence's case I think they've flipped him back and forth from RDE to LDE and back again, that hasn't helped.

Not sure what Charles Tapper is yet. He was an undersized 5 tech in college, playing out of a 'different' stance iirc. He showed straight line speed but he tended to play the run more than rush the passer.

Again, not saying that height/weight/speed pigeon holes a player, but the Cowboys need a 6'3 250 kind of guy. Someone with the explosion and bend to catch the corner and get to the QB.
Old 07.03.2017, 07:26 PM
All Pro

Charles Harris? i like Jordan Willis too
Old 20.04.2017, 08:51 PM
Hall of Fame

A week away and the Cowboys pick at 28 is about as clear as it was 3 months ago, and about as clear as it will be until they turn the card in.

I can't get away from the thought of adding a really versatile strong safety to pair with Byron Jones, but it doesn't look like the right thing to do early in this draft. Rd 3 looks like it could be the sweet spot for safety in terms of draft depth and the Cowboys priorities, although you might be looking at your 10th ranked safety by the time pick #92 rolls around.

If they leave safety until round 3 that points to DL or CB at #28, or could they just go best player available? At what point in the draft do the edge rushers left on your board stop being potential starters or 'upgrades' and become nothing more than depth? They have bodies at DE, unlike CB. At #28 you'd hope to get a good pass rusher, potentially a long term starter. At #60 I'd say impact pass rushers are going to be a little thin on the ground. Anything after that i.e. #92, #133, etc. and I'm going to go out on a limb and say they're more than likely not better than what you already have.

The lack of depth at CB means they can probably (hopefully) find a starter at #28 or #60, maybe even #92. Even a CB at #133 and beyond would add much needed depth and potential down the line.

Going back to BPA at #28 though. If they chose to stand pat on the defensive line they have, which would no doubt be frowned upon, they could add a CB at #60, a S at #92, and another CB at #133. That approach would leave #28 open to anything. Obviously that relies on standing pat with what you've got in terms of pass rush.

No doubt they'd love to trade back at some stage too, get that 5th round pick back they lost, but I don't see it happening at #28. I think they will get that 5th back at some point, perhaps at #60 by dropping back to the #70-80 range if they can.

So. After all that, imo, BPA at #28 (if that's a pass rusher all the better). CB at #60 (or a little later if they trade back). S at #92. Then depending on how things panned out in rds 1-3 some extra DB help at #133.
Old 23.04.2017, 11:30 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCunliffe View Post
A week away and the Cowboys pick at 28 is about as clear as it was 3 months ago, and about as clear as it will be until they turn the card in.

I can't get away from the thought of adding a really versatile strong safety to pair with Byron Jones, but it doesn't look like the right thing to do early in this draft. Rd 3 looks like it could be the sweet spot for safety in terms of draft depth and the Cowboys priorities, although you might be looking at your 10th ranked safety by the time pick #92 rolls around.

If they leave safety until round 3 that points to DL or CB at #28, or could they just go best player available? At what point in the draft do the edge rushers left on your board stop being potential starters or 'upgrades' and become nothing more than depth? They have bodies at DE, unlike CB. At #28 you'd hope to get a good pass rusher, potentially a long term starter. At #60 I'd say impact pass rushers are going to be a little thin on the ground. Anything after that i.e. #92, #133, etc. and I'm going to go out on a limb and say they're more than likely not better than what you already have.

The lack of depth at CB means they can probably (hopefully) find a starter at #28 or #60, maybe even #92. Even a CB at #133 and beyond would add much needed depth and potential down the line.

Going back to BPA at #28 though. If they chose to stand pat on the defensive line they have, which would no doubt be frowned upon, they could add a CB at #60, a S at #92, and another CB at #133. That approach would leave #28 open to anything. Obviously that relies on standing pat with what you've got in terms of pass rush.

No doubt they'd love to trade back at some stage too, get that 5th round pick back they lost, but I don't see it happening at #28. I think they will get that 5th back at some point, perhaps at #60 by dropping back to the #70-80 range if they can.

So. After all that, imo, BPA at #28 (if that's a pass rusher all the better). CB at #60 (or a little later if they trade back). S at #92. Then depending on how things panned out in rds 1-3 some extra DB help at #133.
RD 3 for safety? not sure about that, i know its deep but like you say by then it could be too late for the impact player especially as Jones hasnt really been impressive and Showers filling in so to speak? i think we have to go cb or s at 28
Old 24.04.2017, 09:06 AM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonestar1963 View Post
RD 3 for safety? not sure about that, i know its deep but like you say by then it could be too late for the impact player especially as Jones hasnt really been impressive and Showers filling in so to speak? i think we have to go cb or s at 28
So if they pick up a DB at 28 what you hoping for at 60? What if they can get a CB at 28, then trade back from 60 and get a S in the 70-80 range?
Old 24.04.2017, 11:01 PM
All Pro

That might work OR bpa DL at 28 then a db at 60?