Sunday 30 October 2016

VS  

Go Back   NFL UK Forums > Miscellaneous > Off-Topic - Entertainment/News

Sponsored Links

Old 20.04.2017, 02:29 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee harris 10 View Post
Wonder if the SNP will campaign mainly on the 2nd referendum,will that be as popular as they think.maybe they lose a little ground.
The SNP has been in power for 10 years, so that's a lot of failures and broken promises with which the other parties can clobber them. Blaming the English is starting not to wash any more.
Sponsored Links
Old 20.04.2017, 06:21 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa View Post
Ye it is unfortunate for Turks because the regime are holding them back. No problem with Turkey fundamentally only that in polls 20% of its citizens say ISIS represents Islam well. What are polls worth though....

Don't they enjoy the privileges of free trade with the EU but not the movement?.

I know people laugh at the idea of a Muslim invasion of Europe but Erdogan has openly spoken of it. Increasing movement to Turkish citizens will simply cause the Right of Europe to grow even further.

I don't see why free movement is such a stalling block. Just allow movement. If Turkish people want to come to European countries then get a VISA.
I live in perhaps the area of the UK with the most Turkish people in it per square mile. The Right of Europe haven't got anywhere here. 74% Remain vote in the referendum (and remember that Turks couldn't vote unless also British citizens).
Old 20.04.2017, 06:26 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidjones178@hotmail.co.uk View Post
The depressing aspect of discussing free movement is how many people in the UK just look inwards. Perhaps we are just like that, condemned to look inwards. Could it be because, thanks to the USA, English has become so widely spoken abroad that we have no incentive to learn foreign languages? No drive to explore.

The Tories can talk all they like about us becoming a great trading nation again but the British now are more like hobbits than the British explorers and settlers of old, who colonised America, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa... look at a map of the world and see how tiny the UK is.

England, and it is the English who are most like this, is about 360 miles across at the longest point, and that is from North to South. You can drive it in under 6 hours. Now look at the rest of the world, the sheer size, wonder and rich diversity of it. It's forests, mountains, deserts, glaciers, jungles, deltas and plains. And what do the majority of the English think about that? "Ooh. Wouldn't want to live there." No, let's all stay in our tiny walled country garden of an island and object furiously to the people who are prepared to visit and live in and work in more than 0.16% of the worlds land area.

It's a lot of ifs but if Turkey had cleaned up its act and joined the UK, yes there would be more Turks living and working in this rainy, windswept rock of a country. But you could live and work in Istanbul. Or retire to Cappadocia. Or (potentially) buy a house with a sun drenched terrace overlooking the Golden Horn.

Just as, prior to us leaving the EU, you could have lived and worked and retired anywhere in the EU. From sun kissed blue skied Tenerife to the snow carpeted north of Sweden, with reindeer pottering through your garden.

For some reason we only think about people trying to get in. Going out doesn't seem to occur to us. Like a frightened, housebound old lady with a dozen locks on her front door.
Totally agree with this. The UK is extremely insular.

Never did I understand this more than when I was an Erasmus student. In Germany, where I went, students were all going or had all gone on study years abroad. Within Europe, to America, even to places as far away as Korea. And no matter what they were studying, too. Here was a chance to go abroad, see a bit more of the world, get some financial assistance towards it, study alongside different people and experience new cultures and new ideas. British students? I didn't meet a single British student during my 3 years in the UK who did the same unless they were studying modern languages. Not one. Lack of interest probably and lack of awareness certainly. A shame but also one of many factors that explains the attitude towards Europe and certainly the lack of understanding of cultures that are not Anglo-Saxon.

It took living abroad for me to really grasp just how insular the UK is.
Old 20.04.2017, 07:37 PM
MVP

Farage has said he wont stand in the up coming election and will instead stay as a MEP.
Old 20.04.2017, 08:14 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidjones178@hotmail.co.uk View Post
Just as, prior to us leaving the EU, you could have lived and worked and retired anywhere in the EU. From sun kissed blue skied Tenerife.
That was the plan
Old 20.04.2017, 08:16 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Farage has said he wont stand in the up coming election and will instead stay as a MEP.
Assume this is because he's smart enough to know that UKIP is a dead duck.
Old 20.04.2017, 09:04 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dartmoor Falcon View Post
Assume this is because he's smart enough to know that UKIP is a dead duck.
think Farage would have had a much better chance with the conservatives surely not risking over spending in certain key seats this time but also on the other hand he can be much more of a pain in the EU parliament over the next 2 years.
Old 21.04.2017, 12:10 AM
All Pro

Quote:
think Farage would have had a much better chance with the conservatives surely not risking over spending in certain key seats this time but also on the other hand he can be much more of a pain in the EU parliament over the next 2 years.
With his attendance record at the European Parliament the only pain he gives them is when they have to dust off his chair. On the occasions he does turn up, despite his rhetoric he's laughed at.

He's an gutless coward, a charlatan and a workshy scrounger being paid (by proxy, by us!) for a job he doesn't do.

Last edited by jimbobjoylove; 21.04.2017 at 01:50 AM.
Old 21.04.2017, 12:12 AM
All Pro

Quote:
That E100,000 salary (plus expenses) is not to be sniffed at either, eh? A decent chunk more than a backbencher earns at Westminster.

Curse the European Gravy Train! Oh, is that for me? How kind..

This way, also, he is not obliged to spend his weekends listening to people complaining in Clacton. Brussels and Strasbourg are more agreeable I am sure.
Old 21.04.2017, 01:15 AM
MVP

Quote:
Was it ever an option to me it's like hearing that OJ has ruled himself out of the Heisman race and will instead focus on his parole.