Sunday 30 October 2016

VS  

Go Back   NFL UK Forums > 32 NFL Teams > New York Jets

Sponsored Links

Old 21.06.2017, 08:46 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne ellis View Post
Sold his soul for a guaranteed SB ring. Can't blame him, considering how we treated him at the end. Wilson was presumably signed because the other guy we signed (Patton?) got injured. Considering Wilson's injury history, it's not the safest pickup...
In his situation I do the same.

I just don't understand or scouting or thought process... glad that both Harris and Decker found homes.

Like both those guys and wish them well.
Sponsored Links
Old 23.06.2017, 08:43 AM
Starter

Looking forward to seeing how this roster whittles down to the final 53...and whether we can actually win a couple of games.

I think so much depends on the LB and WR groups which if you look down the line is full of potential break outs or rubbish.

Really hope we have found a hidden gem in the OL in the Rookie/Year 2 class (only Shell I can think has a legitimate chance at the moment).

I just wonder if Woody has given Bowles & Mac the opportunity to suck it out this season otherwise I am amazed Bowles particularly who looks the most at threat would allow so many of the recent exits and not speak up at least a little bit publicly (although I know and respect thats not his style).

Does anyone know if there are any US/NFL rules on constructive dismissal as having seen Dorsey just split with the Chiefs would love a covert approach to him and if he is on board then dismiss Mac and we roll on from there....
Old 26.06.2017, 07:09 AM
MVP

Woody MUST have faith in them.

Surely the aim has been set out we want number 1 pick. Else he would have moved in and fired them already. We made no decent moves in FA and let all out talent walk or cut them.

I think we are stuck with this clowns for at least 2 years.

If we start to win this year he might fire people!

I honestly don't see a change in GM/FO/coaching for 2 years.

Which is ironically when I believe we will see a clearing of house when we start another rebuild.
Old 26.06.2017, 08:38 AM
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stocksy View Post
Woody MUST have faith in them.

Surely the aim has been set out we want number 1 pick. Else he would have moved in and fired them already. We made no decent moves in FA and let all out talent walk or cut them.

I think we are stuck with this clowns for at least 2 years.

If we start to win this year he might fire people!

I honestly don't see a change in GM/FO/coaching for 2 years.

Which is ironically when I believe we will see a clearing of house when we start another rebuild.
I wonder with Woody off to the UK whether his bro Chris shares the same feelings. The one positive is we did have a roster of "win now" players/age group who really wouldn't good enough to "win now" So if Mac/Bowles can't do it at least the next men up have a base to work from having significantly lowered the age range and the current crop (if we wish) around for a few years at minimal expense
Old 26.06.2017, 09:36 AM
All Pro

While Woody is relinquishing day to day control I don't think major decisions such as removal of HC/GM would be made without his agreement. He's still the owner, but will just have more of a helicopter overview (to go all Gus Hedges), which may well be a good thing.

I do agree that we are likely to keep the same team for 2 years now. The youth-led rebuild has clearly been sanctioned by Woody and the team isn't competitive at this point.

I suspect wins and losses don't matter as much as the way the team plays and the development shown by some players. Last year was characterised by poor communication, lacklustre effort (or flat out no shows if you prefer) and bad discipline. A lot of it coming from the team vets, some of it seemingly accepted by the CS. Playing hard all through the season and ironing out those issues are the real measure of the job done this year. It's harder to evaluate than a win/loss column. You can scrape 6 close wins and go 8-8 like Rex did and it mask a lot of deficiencies, like getting blown out in the rest ending up with a huge negative points differential. Or you can be competitive in most games and only win 4. I know which I would prefer to see at this point.
Old 26.06.2017, 02:26 PM
MVP

To be honest I want us to lose, if we end up doing ok with this bunch it wont help us much, surely we need to "Suck for Luck"... like the colts did...

I think you have hit the nail on the head the Ws and Ls wont tell us anything... but if we are sat here this time next year still debating what we are doing for another year about QB I will be bald and rocking back and front in a crazy I have lost my mind and hair kinda way.

Bit like I am with knowing that currently when the Knicks start Free agency - even though they suck they have no cap space...

Seriously... Cavs and Warriors have their rosters... and Knicks have theirs... and we have no cap space???? we have a 1/4 of the talent... and yet we pay them the same?!?!

I thought New York was USA capital of finance... somebody at both orgs suck at maths that is for sure!

Either way, I don't really want to see much in terms of progress this year... I want next year to see a proper draft, with a VERY high pick (read that as the 1st pick).....

Then I want us to see us properly go about surround our good young defense and new star QB with some weapons, Id love to see us do what Oakland are trying but in all reality we will need to win now within 2/3 years max... I think from where we are and with a number 1 pick next year we can properly get the ball rolling next summer. Start to see sensible deals handed out and a winning mentality start to come to life.

If we win 4/5/6/7 this season for me itll just mean next year we cut even more talent and makes the rebuild even harder.
Old 26.06.2017, 04:07 PM
All Pro

I don't believe in tanking, for all the reasons many have pointed out in this thread recently. Now sure, if you are uncompetitive anyway and there's a guy there you are certain will be there in the draft come mid-season then by all means lose out and grab that guy, which is what the Colts did with Luck. I don't think you can know that until the season is well underway though and I wouldnt do it for the average #1 pick either. Only for a guy you were certain about.

I'm fine with 4+ wins providing it isn't with McCown under centre. If Hack or Petty get them then they've likely shown something and we have a decision to make going forward. All that matters this year is finding out what we have at QB already. If they suck, we draft QB almost certainly in the top 5 because we aren't winning many games. If they are good then we will probably finish in 4-7 win territory, which is fine if we have a guy to move forward with too.

It's that middle ground between sucking and really showing development which is the concern. That and cap space for next year (either help out the rookie or accelerate a rebuild) is the reason I think we've shown many vets the door. We have to have an answer this year one way or the other.
Old 26.06.2017, 04:31 PM
MVP

I agree of most of what you are saying...

and 100% about McCown...

But I don't see how we will know how well either of our other QBs will do without the help of proper targets.

Yes if they do really well we will.... agreed... but I just feel we have set up to tank.. I have pointed out reasons myself not to tank.. I HATE it.. but its where we are...

Not of all of cuts we made had a multiyear effect on the cap so we didn't need to make them now and we don't need cap space for this year, it would be next year that cuts now would make sense, so we did we offload those that had no effect on next years cap...

not sure that made sense, but I don't know how to word that better..

What have we done in the offseason that makes you think we aren't trying to tank?

anyway... I think in general we are in agreement... tanking sucks... and if we were looking from a sporting point of view I agree 4/5 wins would be ok...

I just don't see how from there we go forward...

Your faith gives me faith...

kinda.
Old 26.06.2017, 05:41 PM
All Pro

I think it is more setting up the possibility of a tank if things turn out as bad as many predict (and the right guy is there) rather than setting up the certainty of one. I agree totally about the receivers though. I don't really understand the Decker move in particular as it forces all our unproven receivers up one slot. Either they have a lot of faith in them or none at all in the QBs you would think.

Or maybe it's just about getting shut of anyone who is not going to be part of the future, and giving time to those who might be, in what is going to be a losing year anyway, but that could well be counter productive when trying to assess a QB for sure.

I think I saw that we are $18m under the cap or thereabouts this year and loads under next. It gives us flexibility to sign our own (Enunwa?) or to roll that cap into next year. No more than that really. No sense in being tight against the cap in a losing year either I guess, not when you can roll it up into next year anyway.

In short I don't think any move has been about 2017. It's all about the year after that.
Old 21.07.2017, 05:04 AM
Hall of Fame

We've signed first round pick Jamal Adams on a 4 year, $22.3m contract...