Sunday 23 October 2016

VS  

Sunday 30 October 2016

VS  

Go Back   NFL UK Forums > 32 NFL Teams > Pittsburgh Steelers

Sponsored Links

Old 10.03.2017, 10:09 PM
Pro Bowler

Lawrence Timmons signs for Miami in a 2 year,12M deal with 11M guaranteed.These numbers are in line with what has been projected since seasons end.I thought it was on the high side and also had a feeling we could do business at a discounted rate,my gut feeling was he was just that kind of player.

I think what also influenced me was comparing it to Harrisons' situation.,who ended up with a 2 year 3.5M deal.I think most would also argue Timmons was easier to replace.I would love to know what we were prepared to offer and how much less,if anything,than the Dolphins deal he was prepared to accept.

Coach Tomlins first ever pick has been a solid contributor who seemed to be a leader who let his play on the field do the talking and I am always going to root for that kind of player.

I have gone back and forth for weeks over whether we should have paid up,the value of the contract seems high but continuity and intangibles must count for something.It's probably a borderline decision,I am fairly happy today to make the deal but possibly regretting it in a years time.

The hometown thing and tax implications must also have been factors but it also seems that he will now be playing in the middle of a 4-3.

Last edited by redcar_steeler; 10.03.2017 at 10:30 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 11.03.2017, 11:57 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcar_steeler View Post
Lawrence Timmons signs for Miami in a 2 year,12M deal with 11M guaranteed.These numbers are in line with what has been projected since seasons end.I thought it was on the high side and also had a feeling we could do business at a discounted rate,my gut feeling was he was just that kind of player.

I think what also influenced me was comparing it to Harrisons' situation.,who ended up with a 2 year 3.5M deal.I think most would also argue Timmons was easier to replace.I would love to know what we were prepared to offer and how much less,if anything,than the Dolphins deal he was prepared to accept.

Coach Tomlins first ever pick has been a solid contributor who seemed to be a leader who let his play on the field do the talking and I am always going to root for that kind of player.

I have gone back and forth for weeks over whether we should have paid up,the value of the contract seems high but continuity and intangibles must count for something.It's probably a borderline decision,I am fairly happy today to make the deal but possibly regretting it in a years time.

The hometown thing and tax implications must also have been factors but it also seems that he will now be playing in the middle of a 4-3.
Miami is tough to compete with. He's a southern boy (South Carolina), played college ball at Florida State, Miami has all the weather / lifestyle things players love which is why so many live there in the offseason, they're a decent team now hence making the playoffs last year, you get the challenge of the Patriots twice a year if you like that kind of thing, no state income tax and, most important, they offered him most money.

Shame he's gone though, he's the one I really wanted to retain. I'm on record as a big Vince Williams fan and I think he will step up and do well starting, as he mostly has when required to for injuries. Not a 3-down linebacker though so you'll want to rely on Shazier and extra DB(s) on obvious passing plays. I don't mind that myself, keep an extra D lineman in there rather than the 2 in sub packages and try to bull rush up the middle. Think with Hargrave we might now have someone who can do that!
Old 13.03.2017, 11:40 AM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by European Bob View Post
Miami is tough to compete with. He's a southern boy (South Carolina), played college ball at Florida State, Miami has all the weather / lifestyle things players love which is why so many live there in the offseason, they're a decent team now hence making the playoffs last year, you get the challenge of the Patriots twice a year if you like that kind of thing, no state income tax and, most important, they offered him most money.

Shame he's gone though, he's the one I really wanted to retain. I'm on record as a big Vince Williams fan and I think he will step up and do well starting, as he mostly has when required to for injuries. Not a 3-down linebacker though so you'll want to rely on Shazier and extra DB(s) on obvious passing plays. I don't mind that myself, keep an extra D lineman in there rather than the 2 in sub packages and try to bull rush up the middle. Think with Hargrave we might now have someone who can do that!
Williams is good in run support but like you say not a 3 down player. The depth chart is a bit thin now especially with Shaz not being able to make it through a full season without injury.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcar_steeler View Post

Timmons did say he was willing to give us a home town discount at 1 point, but I think we tried to lowball him too much last year that he had to test the market before we could try to re-sign him.