Sunday 30 October 2016

VS  

Go Back   NFL UK Forums > 32 NFL Teams > Pittsburgh Steelers

Sponsored Links

Old 27.04.2017, 08:58 AM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcar_steeler View Post
Seems to be becoming increasingly popular pick - who do you actually want who you think will be there? 3 names would be nice,more,better still.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne ellis View Post
If I had to pick three possibilities for the Steelers out of the realistic options at #30, it would probably be Takkarist McKinley, Budda Baker and David Njoku.

I think any realistic chance Jabrill Peppers had of going in the first round disappeared when he had his "failed test", although it wouldn't be a massive surprise if someone at the end of the round pulled the trigger...
Mckinley, Willis and either Reddick/Davis would be my other guess's.

I think it will come down to best LB/DB available. Outside shot of a receiver if Ross or Williams slide.
Sponsored Links
Old 27.04.2017, 09:28 AM
All Pro

Quote:
Predraft thoughts on Offense

WR - Getting back Bryant is huge but can he be relied on? Coates' comes back healthy,hopefully the mangled hand story has been overblown - we need to rebuild Sammies's confidence as much as anything as I think we did a horrible job last year with him.Rogers and Ayers should improve as slot options.I believe there is still potential for this to be the best group in the league but it could so easily be a sub-par line up.It's impossible to make an accurate judgement call from the outside but I am feeling optimistic so I say we trust in what we have.Maybe consider an outside receiver with potential later on.

TE - Again a big question mark against a big player.My gut feeling is that I have less confidence in Green than I do in the Bryant/Coates combo to be an asset to the team this year.I like James' chance to build on last year,he's unlikely to ever scare anyone as a receiver but he could became a decent all-rounder.If he can give near David Johnson-level blocking it really does open up our options.Adding someone from this years talented bunch is a must but we don't have to do it early.For me it depends on how the board falls with the bigger areas of need

RB - Knile Davis has caught my eye down the years with the odd big return and you see potential with a nice size speed combo.Then you see a career average of 3.2 yards per carry along with ball security issues.DW has done a great job but he's at the end of the line.We have to made a big decision on Bell soon so I think we need to bring in a player who is going to be either a potential replacement or can keep some tread off the tyres.I wouldn't mind seeing us pick up a player capable of carrying the load if needed anywhere from 3rd round on

QB - Too much interest to think we won't take one.No earlier than a 3rd for me but no complaints if we don't address the position

OL - Can't see much reason to dip in here
Quote:
Things are much more tricky on the other side on the ball

OLB - Let's get the easy one out of the way first.Vital to find an immediate contributor the the rotation who can step in as a starter next year.No-one is going to step in and be able to do the things no.92 does but we should end up with a player who is less of a liability in space.A double-dip is a possibility and a pickup in the first 2 rounds is preferred

DB - I don't know the best way to do it but we need to continue to add talent to the secondary.Slot-corner,nickle-back,hybrid,3rd safety,whatever.We need to get better at defending the Gronks and the Edelmans.At least one early pick maybe even two

ILB - The courting of Hightower was a strange development.Was it even genuine? Are we willing to spend a high pick on a 3 down player who can be an upgrade from V.Williams.It is probably easier and less costly to find a player who can come in on passing downs as well as providing over for Shazier at the mack position.Might depend on what,if any,kind of addition we make at Safety as there might be some crossover

DL - Maybe a later round pick for depth only
Nice insight mate.

I'd be shocked if we didn't take a receiver at some point in the draft after the dismal playoff performances and with doubts over Bryants return after this year.

Like you I'd be more than happy if we don't take a qb. Odds are its going to be a later round pick and you don't see too many qbs taken in the 3rd round or later that can consistently play well in the league. I've seen a few people mock Kizer to us in the 1st. I'm not totally against this; he has the size and arm strength etc. But doesn't look ready to be an NFL starter so could do well from learning from Ben for a year.
If not him then I'd rather look at next years class than take a mid rounder this year.

OL - Can never have too much depth, wouldn't complain about a late round pick if there's somebody we like but again happy to pass on that.

Defensively you've summed it up perfectly (as always) Probably need to invest 4 or 5 picks on the defense. 2 pass rushers, 2 DBs along with an ILB (Or a nickel LB/S like Peppers/Reeves-Maybin/Nacua/Harvey-Clemons (I doubt the latter is on our board though))
Old Yesterday, 12:20 AM
Pro Bowler

Meant to drop in earlier and put up some kind of mock with a bit of reasoning behind it,

Instead I can only offer some last minute babble that maybe Chesh and Wayne stumble upon.

Keep seeing Tak at 15 to the Colts for some reason,dont want him at 30 or even 62.

Peppers is an intriguing pick but lack of production off-field stuff make it a tough fit for a D thats trying to forge its identity.

Reddick/Davis might be ok but think they are gone due to Foster issues.

I like Baker but too many people who know better point to limitations,mainly size.

Without seeing his numbers Willis doesn't excite me tbh.However I count on measurables more than most.

Probably not gonna be happy with this in the morning

1.Chidobe Awuzie DB
2.Derek Rivers.OLB
3A.Jeremy McNichols.RB
3B.George Kittle.TE
4.Blair Brown.LB
5.Samson Ebukam OLB
6.Delano Hill S
7.Grover Stewart DL

Tried to be realistic with availability and too many small schools projections but they might have said the same of the '74 Steelers.

My preference btw,not what i think they will do,in case there is any doubt.

Last edited by redcar_steeler; Yesterday at 12:30 AM.
Old Yesterday, 02:45 PM
Pro Bowler

When our pick came around I had Obi as the most likely pick and Watt a close 2nd.Was ok with Watt,athletic,great work ethic and his bloodlines aren't too bad.

Really wish we had taken the trade back option which must have been open to us.Did the Browns really have us taking Njoku?

Uses his large hands well and at 6'5" with 33 inch arms it will be strange to see him at Harrisons' spot.

Read some scary stuff today about TJ having a kind of medical condition,something to do with the alignment to his kneecaps,that might impact on the length of his career.
Old Yesterday, 03:21 PM
All Pro

Quote:
When our pick came around I had Obi as the most likely pick and Watt a close 2nd.Was ok with Watt,athletic,great work ethic and his bloodlines aren't too bad.

Really wish we had taken the trade back option which must have been open to us.Did the Browns really have us taking Njoku?

Uses his large hands well and at 6'5" with 33 inch arms it will be strange to see him at Harrisons' spot.

Read some scary stuff today about TJ having a kind of medical condition,something to do with the alignment to his kneecaps,that might impact on the length of his career.
Not heard about the knee alignment? I new he had injured his knees in college and had to have surgery but I thought it was nothing more than that?

I'm reasonably happy with the pick, I dont think he was the best pass rusher available but has the fundamentals and iq to be able to do everything that we ask our OLBs to do at a high level.
Old Yesterday, 07:26 PM
Hall of Fame

Didn't like the pick for you. I felt you needed a dominant edge rusher, which I don't see Watt being. Saying that, his versatility will be a plus and I think Pittsburgh will find various ways to use him.

With the way the board fell, I would have traded down or taken someone like Budda Baker to improve the secondary...
Old Yesterday, 08:11 PM
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne ellis View Post
Didn't like the pick for you. I felt you needed a dominant edge rusher, which I don't see Watt being. Saying that, his versatility will be a plus and I think Pittsburgh will find various ways to use him.

With the way the board fell, I would have traded down or taken someone like Budda Baker to improve the secondary...
It's really tough to get a top flight player at a premium position at 30 though.All edge rushers still available are going to have reasonably-sized question marks of one sort or another.

Agree with your second point completely,trading back was easily my favoured option followed by picking up secondary help.
Old Yesterday, 08:22 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
It's really tough to get a top flight player at a premium position at 30 though.All edge rushers still available are going to have reasonably-sized question marks of one sort or another.

Agree with your second point completely,trading back was easily my favoured option followed by picking up secondary help.
Yeah, I had you taking Takkarist McKinley at #30, but Atlanta's trade up nixed that. Tim Williams obviously fits the bill, but it was always unlikely the Steelers would take him, considering his off field issues...