Sunday 23 October 2016

VS  

Sunday 30 October 2016

VS  

Go Back   NFL UK Forums > National Football League > NFL in the UK

Sponsored Links

Old 19.01.2017, 04:53 PM
Rookie

Talking Anyone who moved to America to play?

Hello fokes,

I was wondering whether any of you are considering moving to the US with your family so your children could have a chance of playing American Football there? I've seen quite a few people on the forum discussing how hard it is to find decent clubs in the UK so I was wondering whether someone actually made that decision or knows anyone that has
Sponsored Links
Old 20.01.2017, 06:52 PM
Pro

First off, I think there are some decent programs in the UK and depending where you live, the whole idea of uprooting the whole family so one of the kids can play football is a pretty extreme move. That said, there is nothing in the UK for youth or junior players that comes anywhere near the experience or standard of high school football. If the player has not played at all before and isn't an exceptional athelete just rocking up and expecting, there would be a lot of work to be done before seeing game time.

One of my players who had played since 14 convinced his parents to do this when he was about 16. Sounds like he has had a great time but first season was spent playing junior varsity (mainly kids 2 years younger). Then he stayed on at high school for another year but pretty sure he didn't start. Last thing I heard was that he was talking about attending US college and trying to make the squad as a walk on.

My advice would be find a team in this country, play 5v5, work your backside off down the track and in the gym and then go to Filton College in Bristol. It's the nearest thing to a High School program in this country. If you have the talent and the right attitude, they will get you a shot at a smaller college, juco etc.
Old 06.02.2017, 09:45 PM
Rookie

As far as I'm aware, my eldest brother was the first Brit to go to colllege in the States to play football, must have been back in the 80's. Can't remember the name of the school.
Old 08.02.2017, 10:57 AM
All Pro

That'll be Hamden Hall Day School I reckon...the coaches from there were coaching the B52s at the time. You Adrians brother?
There were 2 or 3 from the B52s that went over there in the end I think - Danny Bradford being one other I remember. Always hoped I would get over there, but it never happened.
Old 15.02.2017, 10:43 AM
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernJag View Post
As far as I'm aware, my eldest brother was the first Brit to go to colllege in the States to play football, must have been back in the 80's. Can't remember the name of the school.
I call ********! Surely if that's your brother you would remember the name of the school? Or be able to find out based on Googling his name.
Old 17.02.2017, 05:43 PM
Rookie

You can't just move to America.....

Tags
kid , moving , play , usa