Sunday 30 October 2016

VS  

Go Back   NFL UK Forums > Miscellaneous > Off-Topic - Entertainment/News

Sponsored Links

Old Yesterday, 03:10 PM
GOAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidjones178@hotmail.co.uk View Post
Sin, for goodness sake. What a moronic, loaded question.

It's moronic because it is a religious question and Tim Farron is not a priest.

It is a loaded question because he is doomed if he says "yes" or "no". You could ask the interviewer the same question and she would be equally stuck. Yes, offend all the gay people in the country. No, offend all the religious people.

Just ask him if he thinks it should be illegal and that is all that matters.

Sin is a religious concept and if you are religious and you believe in the bible then you will be hard pressed to find much positive coverage in there of *****exuality. Yes, Christians think it is a sin.

But bear in mind that it did not make the Big 10, whereas envying your neighbours car (and his wife!), working on Sunday, or possibly Saturday, disrespecting your Mum and committing adultery all did.

Also that for a Christian we are all born with original sin. So being born is also a sin.

For goodness sake. Sin. In 2017.

Well Tim Farron DID eventually answer the question I can see.. unfortunately he has ignored biblical writings in favour of a more 'liberal' approach.. not surprising as he is a liberal after all.. I personally have no mind if someone behaves in a way they should not biblically as we are all sinners and it only through God we can be made righteous anyway.. but I think it is suicide for him to say it is not a sin.. the bible is clear that it is.. people can argue whether Jesus directly mentions it or not and can argue over the 10 commands.. the truth is Jesus did mention marriage as a union between a man and a women.. he referenced it.. Jesus used the OT to teach people about who he was and who God is and his teachings (in conjunction with the OT) are the basis for the NT.. it is understood by believers that the letters and gospels were written under the guidance and influence of the Holy Spirit directly.. so we can (as a believer) be assured of its content and accuracy regardless of a non believers point of view on it.. therefore any Christian who claims to be a Christian should (in my view) accept the writings as Gods point of view and not some guy in an attic room with wide eyed ambitions to control and annoy people he will never meet throughout the centuries..

Therefore when the bible says that same sex relations are a damnable offence I think people should accept that does reflect Gods view and opinion on the matter.. however people are free to choose their own path.. but if you are a believer you really should be standing on Gods path and not a liberal and all embracing one to win votes.. which ironically has probably lost him many of the church voters who take the bible seriously..
but as I say .. each to their own..
Sponsored Links
Old Yesterday, 04:31 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Csonka#39 View Post
Well Tim Farron DID eventually answer the question I can see.. unfortunately he has ignored biblical writings in favour of a more 'liberal' approach.. not surprising as he is a liberal after all.. I personally have no mind if someone behaves in a way they should not biblically as we are all sinners and it only through God we can be made righteous anyway.. but I think it is suicide for him to say it is not a sin.. the bible is clear that it is.. people can argue whether Jesus directly mentions it or not and can argue over the 10 commands.. the truth is Jesus did mention marriage as a union between a man and a women.. he referenced it.. Jesus used the OT to teach people about who he was and who God is and his teachings (in conjunction with the OT) are the basis for the NT.. it is understood by believers that the letters and gospels were written under the guidance and influence of the Holy Spirit directly.. so we can (as a believer) be assured of its content and accuracy regardless of a non believers point of view on it.. therefore any Christian who claims to be a Christian should (in my view) accept the writings as Gods point of view and not some guy in an attic room with wide eyed ambitions to control and annoy people he will never meet throughout the centuries..

Therefore when the bible says that same sex relations are a damnable offence I think people should accept that does reflect Gods view and opinion on the matter.. however people are free to choose their own path.. but if you are a believer you really should be standing on Gods path and not a liberal and all embracing one to win votes.. which ironically has probably lost him many of the church voters who take the bible seriously..
but as I say .. each to their own..
If I had to guess, I would say the Lib Dems' non-church voter base probably significantly exceeds its churchgoing one. Of the three main parties, my guess would be that theirs is likely to be the least pious and the most likely to be agnostic, atheist or in any event less outraged by that comment than a comment he may have made in the opposite direction. No evidence for any of this, just a hunch based on general voter demographics and preferences.
Old Yesterday, 09:53 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Csonka#39 View Post
Therefore when the bible says that same sex relations are a damnable offence I think people should accept that does reflect Gods view and opinion on the matter.. however people are free to choose their own path.. but if you are a believer you really should be standing on Gods path and not a liberal and all embracing one to win votes..
Yes, I think he should have been honest about it.

It's no secret that Christianity is not down with gay relationships. So for him to claim he is a Christian and doesn't think it is a sin, he's tying himself up in knots.

Theresa May is the daughter of an Anglican vicar, a former (part time) Sunday school teacher and she chose a hymn on desert islands discs, stating that Christianity "is part of me. It is part of who I am and therefore how I approach things."

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics...an-theresa-may

Fortunately, if you just saw HIGNFY you'll know Robert Peston has promised to ask her the same question when he interviews her this Sunday morning at 9am.

Let's she how she handles it. Probably with a prepared and carefully worded statement, given all the advance notice.

Mind you, she could probably be honest and it wouldn't do her any harm at all. It might even buck up the Tory faithful.