Sunday 23 October 2016

VS  

Sunday 30 October 2016

VS  

Go Back   NFL UK Forums > 32 NFL Teams > Pittsburgh Steelers

Sponsored Links

Old 03.05.2017, 10:29 AM
All Pro

Watt - He wasn't the best pure pass rusher available but is a great athlete and should be able to do everything that we ask a pass rusher to do. I don't think he'll come close to putting up the sort of numbers that his brother does but he's strong in run support.

Smith-Schuster - Juju was my highest ranked receiver going into the 2nd round. A big bodied receiver with reliable hands, he could be the next Hines Ward (Seen some good tape of him blocking as well!) If Bryant doesn't get another contract after this year I think that Juju can be a very good receiver opposite #84 for years to come.

Looking at who else was on the board, I'm not sure what other direction we could have gone? Anzalone maybe?

Sutton - Slightly disappointed with this pick as Rasul Douglas was my highest rated corner who I though would have suited us well. Sutton doesn't look like the sort of player we normally go after (change in scheme/philosophy perhaps?) Hes solid in pass coverage but can't tackle and isn't very good against the run. I see him playing exclusively in sub packages on obvious passing downs (whether thats on the outside or nickel) as well as playing special teams.

Connors - This guy is going to be a local legend for years to come. We all know his story but on the field he can be a thumper to wear down defenses & run the clock down as well as short distance yards. Hopefully he gets enough touches to warrant selecting a rb this early (I thought with the addition of Davis we wouldn't go after a rb this early - Reeves-Maybin, Rayshawn Jenkins & Tedric Thompson were all available on the D side of the ball)

Dobbs - I'm not a fan of taking a QB here. I see Dobbs as a replacement for Jones rather than Ben (after giving jones that $4.5m contract although with little guaranteed money). I know he didn't play behind a great line in college but he played in a spread system which obviously favors the qb without them having to think too much. He reminds me a bit of Dennis Dixon coming out of college - not the greatest pocket passer (although Dobbs has a tighter spiral than Dixon) and looks to use their athleticism to move outside of the pocket. Hes going to have a lot to learn as he adapts to the pros (reading defenses etc.) but like any qb ever drafted the odds are against him but if he puts it all together it could work out well.

George Kittle, Jordan Leggett & Jake Butt were all available.

Allen - I like this pick. Obviously a developmental pick but he has the size and speed if he can put it all together. Worth the gamble at this stage of the draft.

Holba - When I came home drunk on saturday night and looked at our draft it took me a couple of minutes to work out what position LS was... Could have probably have snagged him in the 7th or as a UFA and redcar has already listed a few players also available. As un-sexy as this pick is Holba could end up staying on the team a long time.

Adams - I like this pick and think Adams offers good value here. A decent enough pass rusher who can make the team as a backup (nfl.com compares him to Moats who he could end up replacing) The only player we've taken with some character concerns (allegedly)

As redcar mentioned the UDFAs are underwhelming (The Browns signed 1 of my sleepers - Kai Nacua)
Cooper could make the team as OL depth (we only have 3 guards on the roster currently), the small amount of tape I've seen on him looks good but its against lower competition. Hopefully Munch can work his magic.
Orndoff has the potential to displace Johnson for a roster spot. Schuessler has just as much of a chance of turning into a starting qb as Dobbs but getting any sort of reps in camp is going to be a big issue for him, his best bet is the practice squad. Kelsey is a 2 down lb who I don't see as an improvement over anybody on the roster but he could sneak onto the team through special teams.
Sponsored Links
Old 03.05.2017, 10:48 AM
All Pro

To summarize - Overall I think it was a solid draft, I don't see any draft steals here and Holba is the only "reach".
I think 5 of these players can contribute straight away (1st 4 picks & Holba) and the other 3 will struggle to get a helmet (unless Adams or Allen excel in special teams)

As redcar mentioned with Timmons gone if Shazier goes down we're looking weak at ilb (Matakevich?) and overall I don't see any massive improvements on the D.
Juju and Connors should improve the O though so once again we'll be there or there abouts.
Old 04.05.2017, 09:57 AM
All Pro

I think the front page is up to date now (not bothering adding UDFA and reserve/future contracts) if you spot anything that I've missed let me know!

Could probably do with Hunter & Davis not making the team if we are to get any compensatory picks
Old 19.05.2017, 08:40 AM
All Pro

Green & Warren both released due to failed physicals.
Old 04.09.2017, 10:58 AM
All Pro

A lot of action from the Steelers towards the end of preseason. The biggest addition is the signing of Joe Haden! (3 year, $27,000,000)
As a result of this Cockrell has been traded to the Giants (Conditional pick)
We also traded for safety JJ Wilcox (I know nothing about him)
Sammie Coates has also been traded to the Browns for a 7th round pick.

With the improved secondary I'm feeling slightly confident for the new season now! Bring on sunday!

Notable names on the 53:

Terrell Watson - beat out Davis & Fitz for the 3rd RB spot
Justin Hunter - Hunter & Rogers beat out Ayers & Hamilton for the final 2 receiving spots.
Daniel McCullers - Been practising with the 3rd string most of training camp, surprising to see him retain his 53.
Bryan Allen - Glad to see him on the 53. 5th round project pick who is still learning the position but should contribute on special teams.
Kameron Canaday - Erm... Long snapper... yeah...

Notable cuts:

Golson - Always injured
Holba - This is why you don't waste a draft pick on a long snapper!
Ayers & Hamilton - Competitive receiving core - Ayers also turned down a PS spot
Knile Davis & Touissant - Fitz signed to the PS
David Johnson
Old 04.09.2017, 09:44 PM
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheshiremulisha View Post
A lot of action from the Steelers towards the end of preseason. The biggest addition is the signing of Joe Haden! (3 year, $27,000,000)
As a result of this Cockrell has been traded to the Giants (Conditional pick)
We also traded for safety JJ Wilcox (I know nothing about him)
Sammie Coates has also been traded to the Browns for a 7th round pick.

With the improved secondary I'm feeling slightly confident for the new season now! Bring on sunday!

Notable names on the 53:

Terrell Watson - beat out Davis & Fitz for the 3rd RB spot
Justin Hunter - Hunter & Rogers beat out Ayers & Hamilton for the final 2 receiving spots.
Daniel McCullers - Been practising with the 3rd string most of training camp, surprising to see him retain his 53.
Bryan Allen - Glad to see him on the 53. 5th round project pick who is still learning the position but should contribute on special teams.
Kameron Canaday - Erm... Long snapper... yeah...

Notable cuts:

Golson - Always injured
Holba - This is why you don't waste a draft pick on a long snapper!
Ayers & Hamilton - Competitive receiving core - Ayers also turned down a PS spot
Knile Davis & Touissant - Fitz signed to the PS
David Johnson
Certainly been more going on than we are used to.

Cockrell -Done well at times but it looked like a lack of confidence in the player when the Steelers signed him to the lowest-level tender.Suprised to see Peter King describe him as feisty and physical as I thought he was lacking in there areas.

Wilcox - Described as a big hitter,very good athlete,not the best in coverage and takes bad angles.Sounds a little like Mike Mitchell.Pleased to see steps taken to strengthen at safety where health is a concern atm.Has return skills.

Haden - Had a rough couple of years.Injuries have taken there toll.A big ask to get back to where he was.

With Connors and now Terrell Watson we have a couple of physical runners to help out.Missing a scatback type but we dont seem to be able to implement that type of runner anyway.Lets hope we can trust them thus allowing Bells workload to be lessened.

I feel a little sorry for Coates,was left in far too long after his injury problems and confidence was shot to pieces.One dimensional but a good fit with Bens deep ball skills.Hoped he would be able to become a replacement for DHB as a core special teamer and occasional shock weapon at the very least.

Also had a good feeling about Ayers in the very limited time we seen him.Maybe counted against him that we already have two smaller types in Brown and Rogers.Could have done a job as a returner.

Vance Johnson - The TE group didn't inspire much confidence so another welcome addition.Can get downfield,can block but hands are suspect.

In summary I would have taken Coates and Ayers over DHB and Hunter but good to see us address some obvious areas of need in other positions.Also liked that we were able to recoup some picks for players who were going to be let go
Old 07.09.2017, 01:34 PM
All Pro

hello all, will be back with a few thoughts later today!

go steelers!
Old 07.09.2017, 08:21 PM
All Pro

Well that has been quite the off season, very entertaining...

just going to make a few observations through the team...

all pretty quiet on the Ben front....is he still capable of taking us to the dance and winning it, yes,...is he past his best, yes...he's never had as many weapons, so its make or break time.

Dobbs, well he's made some eye-catching throws and i'm warming to him. can he be our starting qb for the next ten years or so? only time will tell, be nice to get a qb in the next draft and pitch them head to head.

its hard to like bell at the moment, but he's back, lets see how he runs. will he be fully committed? we'll soon see.

conner - it makes for a great story, will it have a fairytale ending?,....though i see his touches being minimal, it will be interesting to see how he does and we will be wise to take a good look, as he could make bell dispensable come draft day...?

juju seems quite the character, martavis back n looking sharp. It was between hunter and coates, and hunter showed good things whilst sammy never really did, so no harm there, he was only drafted as insurance for bryant anyway really.

I was disappointed we kept DHB over Ayers. i thought Ayers showed well tail end of last season and in the last pre-season game. if he returns for a td when we play the patriots i will not be happy.

i like the acquisition of McDonald, he boosts what was a very mediocre te corps. still can't believe we didn't draft a te knowing mr concussion was walking dead!

on defense....

liking what hargrave has shown, this looks to be a very solid d line.

how will vince williams play now he's a starter? not sure...

bud looks improved, and anything below 10 sacks will be a failure, i'll be keeping an eye on bud to see how the rest of his game shapes up too.

watt....i'm not ready to anoint him the next JH quite yet. good player, but might be limited getting to the qb? 6 or more sacks i'd be happy.

haden....lets see, i think wee can get three good years out of him, but he needs to stay healthy, good pick-up and cockerall was just a guy imho.

mike hilton has been the camp surprise,..well done....senquez,...blimey someone somewhere has a voodoo doll of this guy....

excited to see how davis and burns mature this year, both have potential allpro in them.

....on paper this a very talented team and we better make it count.

if haley can't get plus 30 points out of this offense in every game he needs the boot!

i suspect the defense will take a few weeks to find its feet, but all being well it should be a top 5 defense.

buck stops with mike...this team barring major injury should be in the superbowl.