Sunday 30 October 2016

VS  

Go Back   NFL UK Forums > 32 NFL Teams > New York Jets

Sponsored Links

Old 23.03.2017, 03:53 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolley_Man View Post
Must admit I like the sound of Trubisky from the scouting reports, good in the pocket and accurate in the short and intermediate range. That's two of the three core skills that all great QBs have (the 3rd being the ability to read the field).

I'm leaning towards taking Trubisky if he's there at 6. It's all very good saying we should wait for Darnold or Rosen but those guys may not even come out next year.
I don't know enough Trubisky although I haven't seen much buzz on here about him until now.

My one and only opinion on this is... we cant keep taking QBs in early rounds to wrap them in bubble wrap.

If we take a QB at 6 I hope he is good enough to start, I know its foolish maybe but how many times can we take a QB and never really see him play and never see a reason we took him when we did..

Our roster needs to be built round good young players and we need to draft well... at 6 we should be able to take an awesome starter... and we need some! - If this guy is the real deal.. take him... if he is a gamble... pass... we have McCown for this year .... take a guy that starts.. we have a roster that allows us in probably all but what 1 or 2 positions to take best (reliable) talent on the board...

QB is the hardest position to solve my miles... its very difficult.. I just don't want us wasting picks on more Petty/Smith/Heck/etc/etc/etc that we have cluttered our roster with in recent years when we have passed up proper talent...

I also think if we pick someone we have to stand behind him properly and support him. Like we did Sanchez.. he was at least made the guy...
Sponsored Links
Old 23.03.2017, 06:03 PM
All Pro

The problem with Trubisky is he's even less experienced than Sanchez was. You really have little idea what you are getting because there isn't enough to go on. I guess that's why you have to flood the pro days etc with scouts.

Every QB is different imo. Would Rodgers have become the player he is if he hadn't sat for 3 years? He had some mechanical issues to iron out behind the scenes. Unless you have a generational Luck like talent every QB is a project. Some need to learn a pro offence, they may need to sit for half a season or more; others you can throw in straight away and see how they adjust - some take to it immediately, some take a while and others never do; and some need to figure it out in the background before being exposed. Unfortunately there is no magic key that guarantees success or even a one-size fits all formula to developing a QB. What works for one doesn't for another. That's why it is so difficult to find one. It's really just guesswork, luck and trying to work out what is best for that individual - we have done a really bad job of that in the recent past. At least with Hackenburg we do seem to have a plan and are trying to stick to it.
Old 23.03.2017, 06:19 PM
Hall of Fame

Deshaun Watson's the only QB I'd consider at #6, and he's far from the finished article. There's about 5 or 6 players who could be available at #6 who I'd take over any of this year's QB class.

Personally, I still think the best option is to trade down. Rebuilds (proper rebuilds, not the band aid approach) are built around the Draft. Free Agency has it's uses, but you can't buy success.

If we can move down 5-6 spots in the first round, we can gain a couple of extra picks and hopefully come away with 4 or 5 players who either start or play a significant role from year one. I think that is the main reason for our "interest" in Trubisky tbh, to try and tempt someone into moving up. I personally think he has bust written all over him, but we'll see...
Old 23.03.2017, 07:41 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne ellis View Post
Deshaun Watson's the only QB I'd consider at #6, and he's far from the finished article. There's about 5 or 6 players who could be available at #6 who I'd take over any of this year's QB class.

Personally, I still think the best option is to trade down. Rebuilds (proper rebuilds, not the band aid approach) are built around the Draft. Free Agency has it's uses, but you can't buy success.

If we can move down 5-6 spots in the first round, we can gain a couple of extra picks and hopefully come away with 4 or 5 players who either start or play a significant role from year one. I think that is the main reason for our "interest" in Trubisky tbh, to try and tempt someone into moving up. I personally think he has bust written all over him, but we'll see...
This is how I feel.

I don't mind not drafting down if we can take a big starter at #6 however trading down can work too. We should be able to draft several starters at this point.

On the point of QBs being a project I agree but doesn't mean we need to take one in the first two rounds every year.

At some point we have to take our guy...

I think Rodgers is a good example - however there are plenty of QBs in the league that didn't sit for three years.... I'd say Rodgers is more of the exception than the rule...
Old 24.03.2017, 03:07 PM
Starter

Would be amazed and dissapointed if we went QB in Round 1 and agree that a trade down would be the best scenario given the draft depth in areas we could upgrade.

I think we are just doing our due diligience with Mitch but can't bring myself seeing Mac pulling the trigger that high on another QB without even seeing Hack hit the field as essentially he is admitting failure to drafting two previous QBs (although Petty could arguably have always been drafted as a backup with possible starter potential) - and for a guy billed as a "Draft Guy" experience wise that is a pretty big wif on his part given his first season free agency splashes have largely been failures in addition and effectively would seal his own sacking.

Won't have long now to wait
Old 24.03.2017, 03:54 PM
All Pro

Yeah don't really think QB in the first is the right choice at all really. Trade back is an option for sure, but if there's a guy at 6 that Mac thinks is a potential HOF candidate and he's a need, you take him, no questions asked. There could well be in this draft.
Old Yesterday, 01:54 AM
Hall of Fame

Starting to get the horrible feeling that we're going to Draft Jabrill Peppers at #6...
Old Yesterday, 10:19 AM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne ellis View Post
Starting to get the horrible feeling that we're going to Draft Jabrill Peppers at #6...
Urgghh! You just ruined my morning Wayne,
Old Yesterday, 11:23 AM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetupandgo View Post
Urgghh! You just ruined my morning Wayne,