Sunday 30 October 2016

VS  

Go Back   NFL UK Forums > Miscellaneous > Off-Topic - Sports

Sponsored Links

Old 11.02.2017, 07:05 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCunliffe View Post
It was 'accidental' handball to be fair, it's not as if Sanchez tried to put it in with his hand. It was a ricochet. I agree it would be nice to see him acknowledge the handball but I'm not sure the ref would change his mind. Outside of Di Canio and Fowler I cant remember many players ever going out of their way to 'penalise' their own team, and in Fowler's case the ref awarded the penalty despite his protests.

Fair point about cheating, but I think the act has to be deliberate. If Sanchez punches it in he does get booked.
from the replay i saw Sanchez's right hand is almost above his head so definetly in an un-natural position and he either palms or pushes towards the goal,we saw the hull defender get sent off for stopping the ball on the line with the top of his arm and he will miss a game.

why cant there be a system where players like Sanchez today and going back to Snodgrass a few months back be charged with un-sporting behaviour/actions and atleast be asked to go and make there case to a 3 man panel,if they believe it was accidental then no problem but if they find enough evidence to say the player knew that what he did was "conning" the ref then ban them for a game or two.maybe if players know's there can be retro-active punishment maybe they will think twice.surely the only way to help officials is to start cracking down on certain incidents.
Sponsored Links
Old 11.02.2017, 08:28 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee harris 10 View Post
from the replay i saw Sanchez's right hand is almost above his head so definetly in an un-natural position and he either palms or pushes towards the goal,we saw the hull defender get sent off for stopping the ball on the line with the top of his arm and he will miss a game.

why cant there be a system where players like Sanchez today and going back to Snodgrass a few months back be charged with un-sporting behaviour/actions and atleast be asked to go and make there case to a 3 man panel,if they believe it was accidental then no problem but if they find enough evidence to say the player knew that what he did was "conning" the ref then ban them for a game or two.maybe if players know's there can be retro-active punishment maybe they will think twice.surely the only way to help officials is to start cracking down on certain incidents.
I thought it was more a case of Sanchez' momentum moving towards goal. His hand was up but I don't think it was planned.

I might be wrong, would have to see it again.

I think there should be a team/panel that flags up incidents of all shapes and sizes. If there is video evidence, and a consensus opinion, then they should act. Problem is, even with replays, people can see things differently.
Old 12.02.2017, 01:11 AM
All Pro

Quote:
It was 'accidental' handball to be fair, it's not as if Sanchez tried to put it in with his hand. It was a ricochet. I agree it would be nice to see him acknowledge the handball but I'm not sure the ref would change his mind. Outside of Di Canio and Fowler I cant remember many players ever going out of their way to 'penalise' their own team, and in Fowler's case the ref awarded the penalty despite his protests.

Fair point about cheating, but I think the act has to be deliberate. If Sanchez punches it in he does get booked.
I may have misrembered but in Serie A Danielle De Rossi came clean when he handballed it in and Roma went on to lose as it wiped out a would be equaliser!
Old 12.02.2017, 02:49 AM
GOAT

Bilicis starting to become quite annoying now, moaning about correct decisions.
you could even make a case that the ref gave them the biggest break of the game, offside players goes for the ball on the first goal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee harris 10 View Post
The ref has been let down by his assistant who is either not 100 % sure or has just bottled it but how about we start holding players accountable for blatant cheating.Sanchez knows he has punched that into the net then runs off celebrating.maybe its about time 3 match bans where brought in for these kind of actions.you can get 3 game bans after the fact for violent conduct but guess cheating is just somehow part of the game.
the post you quoted was just after the Gibbs challenge.

i agree, the lino needed to give the handball.

Quote:
Think the Gibbs challenge would have been a red if it was a sliding challenge rather than two players going for a ball in the air. It should have been red imo. The only (weak) defence is that he was some way from goal, but it's still a goal scoring opportunity if he isn't taken out really.

The penalty is a penalty, and a red. Jakup-whathisname going kamikaze out of his goal was stupid.

Interesting that Huddlestone didn't get booked for consciously elbowing Walcott in the back of the head. Clattenburg even explained that the foul was for a forearm/elbow to the head. Strange really that it doesn't deserve at least a yellow.

A fortunate 3 points for Arsenal when all is said and done. Outside of Sanchez and Koscielny no one really looked on form. Impressed by a few of the Hull players, Robertson, N'diaye and Markovic amongst them.

I see Clattenburg apologised to the Hull players at HT for missing the handball. Fair enough...............but wonder if the lineman apologised too????
maybe, its clear what Gibbs was doing, he had eyes for the man not the ball.

it probably is a pen, i didnt feel he was intentional but its hard not to give it, just interesting it happens in the same game as the other incident.
Old 17.02.2017, 12:50 AM
All Pro

Late to the party but I fully admit Bilic does get away with a lot of criticism of refs, mainly because he's smart enough to frame it and say it in a way that suggests he's on the refs side and the difficulty of the job etc. He does seem to tip toe that line very well, and rarely do you see him deliver his post match interviews in an outright snide or aggressive way either, which surely helps. Obviously this time kicking a microphone saw him cross the line.

Crikey, I couldn't believe the Gibbs non-red card. The only argument I could possibly see is that the high ball would have taken a little more time than normal to bring down for it to develop into a goal scoring chance, but that said it was about as clear a last-man red offence as I've recently seen.
Old 17.02.2017, 01:26 AM
GOAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbobjoylove View Post
Late to the party but I fully admit Bilic does get away with a lot of criticism of refs, mainly because he's smart enough to frame it and say it in a way that suggests he's on the refs side and the difficulty of the job etc. He does seem to tip toe that line very well, and rarely do you see him deliver his post match interviews in an outright snide or aggressive way either, which surely helps. Obviously this time kicking a microphone saw him cross the line.

Crikey, I couldn't believe the Gibbs non-red card. The only argument I could possibly see is that the high ball would have taken a little more time than normal to bring down for it to develop into a goal scoring chance, but that said it was about as clear a last-man red offence as I've recently seen.

tbh i think its more the size of the club but many people also let him off for the reason you state.
i dont mind the manager having ago when the refs get it wrong but it just comes across as silly when its either a super soft call thats rarely given or when the fella is moaning about correct calls.
Old 18.02.2017, 07:55 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodkarma84 View Post
tbh i think its more the size of the club but many people also let him off for the reason you state.
i dont mind the manager having ago when the refs get it wrong but it just comes across as silly when its either a super soft call thats rarely given or when the fella is moaning about correct calls.
Mark Hughes is bar far the biggest moaner in the premier league,if his team dont win its always down to the officials.

maybe it would be to much to ask for premier league chairman to punish there own managers when they cross the line and drag down the image of there clubs and off-course the product that is sold all around the world but instead they just say nothing and leave it to the FA to occasionally act.
Old 20.02.2017, 07:38 PM
Super Moderator

Didn't know where to put this, but has anyone read The Numbers Game: Why Everything You Know About Football Is Wrong?

I'm about half way through it, and it is fascinating. Like Moneyball, but not telling a story the way that book does - this is just using data to analyse the game of football and put to bed some hackneyed old beliefs and ideas.

It's genuinely very thought provoking. I'll never grumble when a team elects to take a short corner again It'll also give you some good pub ammo to use when your irritating mate starts telling you what England should have done there, or why 'Robbie Savage has got that point absolutely right' (Of course I'm making that one up, Robbie Savage never gets a point right)

Last edited by HSTDriver; 20.02.2017 at 07:41 PM.
Old 23.02.2017, 09:09 PM
All Pro

Ranieri sacked. The dreaded vote of confidence strikes again.
Old 23.02.2017, 09:10 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by iffies View Post
Ranieri sacked. The dreaded vote of confidence strikes again.
An utter disgrace.

Tags
better than istanbul , cardiff are going down , crystanbul , dumb predictions r us , joses always crying , rodgersspecalistinfailure , sunderland are cheats , swansea are going down. , swansea town=down , team news spies , the fix is in , utd fans = easy targets