Sunday 30 October 2016

VS  

Go Back   NFL UK Forums > National Football League > NCAA College Football

Sponsored Links

Old 09.05.2016, 01:41 PM
All Pro

Default 2017 NFL Draft Prospects Discussion Thread

Time to move to the 2017 Draft

I'm going to see how many of the top prospects I can get through in the off-season from Draft Breakdown stuff, just to give me a general idea and a loose top 5 by position if I can.

QB wise - think Brad Kaaya might be my guy this year - as long as he grows in terms of reading defenses and his decision making. Mason Rudolph is a bit slow with his eyes, but arm is "plus" and looks comfortable in the pocket, nice base and throwing motion. Deshaun Watson is #1 on a lot of early lists and mocks - eyes are better than I expected - but lower body doesn't sync up with the upper body. Bit wide with his base - frame will also be much discussed I suspect...

Just watched Joshua Dobbs and Chad Kelly. Dobbs almost looks more comfortable in chaos - doesn't seem happy with time in a clean pocket. Has a bunch of upside. Kelly didn't impress me at all. Weight is on his heels in the pocket - throwing motion is all arm, doesn't step into his throws. Arm and ball placement so-so - gets the ball out quickly and "plus" ability to extend plays/run though.

A few more to look at - suspect games might be easier to find for QB's than OL or something, but I'll see how it goes... Also noticed on the list of names I've taken from various early rankings/mocks around the 'net, not many group of five or FCS prospects...
Sponsored Links
Old 09.05.2016, 03:05 PM
Team Captain

Listening to one of the Dave Dameshek podcasts following the draft, with Bucky brooks. BB raised a fantastic point, and one I thought might provide a bit of thought when compiling a top 100.
Dameshek asked why Billings fell so far in the draft.
Brooks compared him to (I think) Rankins. BB pointed out both were mocked in the first. And the reason Rankins did, and Billings didn't was input from DCs, and the way they like to plan their defensive schemes.
Rankins has a discernible talent in run stuffing. If all else fails you know you can play him against the run.
Billings, who has first round talent as well, is good at everything but not extra good at either run stuffing or pass rushing. That isn't to say he can't do either, he can. But he didn't have that stand out, wow factor, at one job, that a DC would say, he is our guy in this situation.

I've tried to show the emphasis I hope I have.

I thought it was very enlightening that the DC would think this way, and pass on such a top talent. It might be useful to guys like you Paul, when compiling your 100. Did you have him in? I did. Top 25.
Old 09.05.2016, 03:26 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Soul II View Post
Listening to one of the Dave Dameshek podcasts following the draft, with Bucky brooks. BB raised a fantastic point, and one I thought might provide a bit of thought when compiling a top 100.
Dameshek asked why Billings fell so far in the draft.
Brooks compared him to (I think) Rankins. BB pointed out both were mocked in the first. And the reason Rankins did, and Billings didn't was input from DCs, and the way they like to plan their defensive schemes.
Rankins has a discernible talent in run stuffing. If all else fails you know you can play him against the run.
Billings, who has first round talent as well, is good at everything but not extra good at either run stuffing or pass rushing. That isn't to say he can't do either, he can. But he didn't have that stand out, wow factor, at one job, that a DC would say, he is our guy in this situation.

I've tried to show the emphasis I hope I have.

I thought it was very enlightening that the DC would think this way, and pass on such a top talent. It might be useful to guys like you Paul, when compiling your 100. Did you have him in? I did. Top 25.
Cheers, NS. Yup - had him in - and not like it was a close one, he was a slam dunk. There are often one or two who the media are too high on - he was one. If anything with Billings, I was guilty of just putting him in without enough thought. I didn't think he would go first round, but thought the tape was good enough for day two for sure...

In a round about way, I kind of applied that logic to some guys. Alex Collins - Combine numbers weren't great and then my question was, does he have the "wow factor" - answer = no, so left him out. As noted on the other thread - Ronald Blair was more a how will teams use him question - couldn't work it out so left him out. Pharoh Cooper slow 40 and didn't return, so left him out. Cyrus Jones I wasn't in love with his CB tape - but PR ability "plus", so put him in, etc.

The lesson is not to take any prospect for granted. Of course, leaving out someone like Billings who was in every other top 100, I suspect, is one that would take some guts!
Old 09.05.2016, 06:16 PM
Team Captain

It was Charles Davis not Bucky.
Old 09.05.2016, 08:14 PM
Hall of Fame

If Myles Garrett isn't a top 3 pick, I'll be very surprised. Other than him, Deshaun Watson and one or two of the RB's, I'm currently in the dark...
Old 10.05.2016, 06:38 AM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne ellis View Post
If Myles Garrett isn't a top 3 pick, I'll be very surprised. Other than him, Deshaun Watson and one or two of the RB's, I'm currently in the dark...
Pass rusher looks to be a deep group next year so Garrett will need to keep producing numbers. Saying that, it would appear that he wants to be playing at around 275 next year so if he does produce numbers, he will be a blue chip prospect that is completely NFL ready.

Two names to know early are Jamal Adams (Strong Safety, LSU) and Jabril Peppers (Defensive Back/Linebacker, Michigan).

Adams' father was a first round pick for the Giants in the mid-80s and he is coming out of the system that developed Tyrann Mathieu, Eric Reid and Patrick Peterson (amongst many other DB contributors). He's also 6'1, over 200lbs and has good hands. May be the highest taken true safety since Eric Berry (5th, 2020)

Peppers looks to be this year's version of Jalen Ramsey. Played corner, safety and returner, his athleticism will excite many. It looks like he will make the switch to linebacker in 2016 where his size (6'1, 208) may be the only question about his effectiveness.
Old 10.05.2016, 08:48 AM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne ellis View Post
I'm totally biased as an Aggies fan but love his athleticism. He was the first guy making tackles on WR screens, designed to avoid the pass rush.

Although Laremy Tunsil did an excellent job against him so thats the tape I'd recommend you check out on Garratt cos' thats the standard he'd face every week.
Old 10.05.2016, 09:08 AM
Team Captain

Two linebackers I am excited to be watching this year are Skai Moore South Carolina . And Anthony Walker Northwestern.

Both really caught my attention in 2015.
Old 10.05.2016, 11:18 AM
Hall of Fame

Another Aggie to watch next year is Josh Reynolds. Under-rated WR who has put up decent numbers despite shaky QB play in the past two years, decided to stay another year rather than declare.
Old 10.05.2016, 12:20 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by FallenFlyer View Post
Peppers looks to be this year's version of Jalen Ramsey. Played corner, safety and returner, his athleticism will excite many. It looks like he will make the switch to linebacker in 2016 where his size (6'1, 208) may be the only question about his effectiveness.
Peppers is legit, have loved watching him play for Michigan. In addition to the above he's also played on offense and has a couple of TD's to his name! His best fit in the NFL will be at Free Safety I think.