Sunday 23 October 2016

VS  

Sunday 30 October 2016

VS  

Go Back   NFL UK Forums > National Football League > NCAA College Football

Sponsored Links

Old 10.05.2016, 01:16 PM
All Pro

Wasn't expecting a great deal from Luke Falk (QB, Washington State) but pretty impressive. Not sure he's got a cannon for an arm - but good enough. At times he shows some really advanced stuff in terms of ball placement - sees where the defenders are and puts it away from them. Deeper balls tend to be floated in, so would like to see him stick his back foot in the ground and uncork a few more. Liked his eyes - gets through progressions very quickly. Release is quick - as expected in that kind of offense. Better than guys like Chad Kelly (he doesn't look comfortable at all in the pocket - weight on his heels) and Seth Russell (slingy release - lot of moving parts; feet -> ball placement not great) for me.

Arm talent wise, Mason Rudolph is impressive - looks nicely balanced in the pocket as well. Needs to speed things up and improve ball placement though.

Very loosely ranked at this stage, but I think with improvement/more experience (and expecting it with Richt as his coach) Brad Kaaya might be my number one to watch.
Sponsored Links
Old 10.05.2016, 02:18 PM
Hall of Fame

What are people's early thoughts on Dalvin Cook?

Dynamic enough to be another RB going top 10? Or will concerns over durability knock him down?

Quote:
Originally Posted by duesouth10 View Post
Wasn't expecting a great deal from Luke Falk (QB, Washington State) but pretty impressive. Not sure he's got a cannon for an arm - but good enough. At times he shows some really advanced stuff in terms of ball placement - sees where the defenders are and puts it away from them. Deeper balls tend to be floated in, so would like to see him stick his back foot in the ground and uncork a few more. Liked his eyes - gets through progressions very quickly. Release is quick - as expected in that kind of offense. Better than guys like Chad Kelly (he doesn't look comfortable at all in the pocket - weight on his heels) and Seth Russell (slingy release - lot of moving parts; feet -> ball placement not great) for me.

Arm talent wise, Mason Rudolph is impressive - looks nicely balanced in the pocket as well. Needs to speed things up and improve ball placement though.

Very loosely ranked at this stage, but I think with improvement/more experience (and expecting it with Richt as his coach) Brad Kaaya might be my number one to watch.
Somebody compared Luke Falk to Chad Pennington a while back, I forgot where. An accurate passer who excels on short to medium throws but possibly lacks the arm to really throw the deep ball. I like him quite a lot and think he's the sort of guy that could be a good value pick as NFL teams seem to love the big arms.

Brad Kaaya is interesting and think he might rocket up boards over the year as Miami should be much improved under Mark Richt. Plus he's a young guy so lots of room for improvement, I haven't really watched his tape so working off memory of Miami games I saw.
Old 10.05.2016, 03:03 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolphin_Akie View Post
What are people's early thoughts on Dalvin Cook?

Dynamic enough to be another RB going top 10? Or will concerns over durability knock him down?

Somebody compared Luke Falk to Chad Pennington a while back, I forgot where. An accurate passer who excels on short to medium throws but possibly lacks the arm to really throw the deep ball. I like him quite a lot and think he's the sort of guy that could be a good value pick as NFL teams seem to love the big arms.

Brad Kaaya is interesting and think he might rocket up boards over the year as Miami should be much improved under Mark Richt. Plus he's a young guy so lots of room for improvement, I haven't really watched his tape so working off memory of Miami games I saw.
I'm going to move on to the RB's next - impression of Cook before detailed study is pretty simple. WOW when he wasn't 100% healthy in 2015 - how good is he going to be when he is 100%?! Not the biggest - so he's not Zeke Elliott in terms of being a carry the mail guy in the NFL - but how many teams do this? Very few. Likely going to carry the mail for FSU though - miles on the clock might be a concern... Not sure about top 10 - might depend on how the class pans out - but mid first, yeah - especially if he's healthier this year. One thing that might hurt the stock is it's looking like a top year for RB's - so you might pass on him in the first and get someone in the 2nd/3rd who is still really good.

I'm going to write a quick article on the QB's tonight - but will probably end up with Mason Rudolph ahead of Falk because of the arm strength. Rudolph has a cannon - Falk has to kind of touch those deeper balls in, rather than really drive them. Falk will need the right system, but there are some traits there to think he can start.

Kaaya's weakness is lack of experience and therefore reading defenses/decision making. I bet that would have improved anyway - but under Richt I would expect a big jump forward. Has a really nice feel for the rush in the pocket - can move with his eyes down the field. Big time upside!
Old 10.05.2016, 03:30 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
I'm going to move on to the RB's next - impression of Cook before detailed study is pretty simple. WOW when he wasn't 100% healthy in 2015 - how good is he going to be when he is 100%?! Not the biggest - so he's not Zeke Elliott in terms of being a carry the mail guy in the NFL - but how many teams do this? Very few. Likely going to carry the mail for FSU though - miles on the clock might be a concern... Not sure about top 10 - might depend on how the class pans out - but mid first, yeah - especially if he's healthier this year. One thing that might hurt the stock is it's looking like a top year for RB's - so you might pass on him in the first and get someone in the 2nd/3rd who is still really good.

I'm going to write a quick article on the QB's tonight - but will probably end up with Mason Rudolph ahead of Falk because of the arm strength. Rudolph has a cannon - Falk has to kind of touch those deeper balls in, rather than really drive them. Falk will need the right system, but there are some traits there to think he can start.

Kaaya's weakness is lack of experience and therefore reading defenses/decision making. I bet that would have improved anyway - but under Richt I would expect a big jump forward. Has a really nice feel for the rush in the pocket - can move with his eyes down the field. Big time upside!
Yeah 2015 was a good glimpse of how dangerous Cook can be with just a dozen carries. He's what the Dolphins are probably hoping Kenyan Drake will be, a speedster who can catch passes and make big plays whilst sharing time with another back.

Nick Chubb is another back I love but big question marks over his recovery from that injury at the moment and whether he'll be ready week one.

Look forward to seeing the article, I'll be honest and say I've barely seen Mason Rudolph outside of a few highlights. Gunner Kiel was another guy I liked a lot heading into 2015 but struggled on the field and missed time due to injuries. One to keep an eye on I guess.

Any views on Patrick Mahomes? Was at his game with Baylor at AT&T in 2014 and fell in love with his ability. Obviously will have insane stats playing for TT and is a bit raw at this point, needs to work on his mechanics but potential is there.
Old 10.05.2016, 03:50 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolphin_Akie View Post
Yeah 2015 was a good glimpse of how dangerous Cook can be with just a dozen carries. He's what the Dolphins are probably hoping Kenyan Drake will be, a speedster who can catch passes and make big plays whilst sharing time with another back.

Nick Chubb is another back I love but big question marks over his recovery from that injury at the moment and whether he'll be ready week one.

Look forward to seeing the article, I'll be honest and say I've barely seen Mason Rudolph outside of a few highlights. Gunner Kiel was another guy I liked a lot heading into 2015 but struggled on the field and missed time due to injuries. One to keep an eye on I guess.

Any views on Patrick Mahomes? Was at his game with Baylor at AT&T in 2014 and fell in love with his ability. Obviously will have insane stats playing for TT and is a bit raw at this point, needs to work on his mechanics but potential is there.
I didn't watch Mahomes - but I'll have a look tonight and build him into the article!

Moving on to the RB's - if anyone has any requests, happy to oblige as long as there's Draft Breakdown tape for them!
Old 10.05.2016, 08:19 PM
All Pro

Here's the QB article - including Mahomes!
Old 10.05.2016, 08:28 PM
Starter

I am definitely looking forward to watching the running backs the most this year. Leonard Fournette (LSU), Christian McCaffrey (Stanford), Dalvin Cook (Florida State), Nick Chubb (Georgia) should have good seasons. Add to them the likes of Elijah Hood (North Carolina), Wayne Gallman (Clemson), Royce Freeman (Oregon) and there’s plenty of talent!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FallenFlyer View Post
Adams' father was a first round pick for the Giants in the mid-80s and he is coming out of the system that developed Tyrann Mathieu, Eric Reid and Patrick Peterson (amongst many other DB contributors). He's also 6'1, over 200lbs and has good hands. May be the highest taken true safety since Eric Berry (5th, 2020).
Good to see Jamal Adams mentioned, I’d also add linebacker Kendall Beckwith from the same defense at LSU.

Just to throw some more names onto the QB list: Baker Mayfield (Oklahoma), C.J. Beathard (Iowa), Josh Rosen (UCLA).
Old 10.05.2016, 10:34 PM
All Pro

One small school running back that has caught my eye is Matt Breida (Georgia Southern (I think)). Has a burst about him that makes me think he can be a factor at the pro level.
Old 11.05.2016, 09:26 AM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Here's the QB article - including Mahomes!
Cheers! Spotted it on twitter last night but this was my first chance to read it. Thanks for the mention first off.

Liked the review on Mahomes, certainly a player I'm going to monitor closely over the year. He looks very young so hopefully he can improve as you mentioned this year, I know Kliff Kingsbury is a big fan of his which is why he gave him the starting job so early.
Old 11.05.2016, 11:27 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by FallenFlyer View Post
One small school running back that has caught my eye is Matt Breida (Georgia Southern (I think)). Has a burst about him that makes me think he can be a factor at the pro level.
Saw him a couple of times last year, got the impression he was the no.1 RB in their offence, think they run the triple option (maybe?). Think they talked about him as a home run hitter.

Looking at his stats, over 1600 yards, 17 TD's, he certainly knows how to make the most of his carries.