VS  

Sunday 30 October 2016

VS  

Go Back   NFL UK Forums > 32 NFL Teams > San Francisco 49ers

Sponsored Links

Old 20.01.2017, 12:36 AM
Pro

Default Visiting San Francisco!

I'm really eager to go to San Francisco some time next season to catch a Niners game (girlfriend fancies New York more though, she may need convincing)

I just wanted to get a feel of people's experiences who have visited the city and gone to Levi's for a Niners game? What was the city like itself, the sightseeing ? The atmosphere at the game, tailgating ect?

Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Old 23.01.2017, 05:42 PM
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstb-94 View Post
I'm really eager to go to San Francisco some time next season to catch a Niners game (girlfriend fancies New York more though, she may need convincing)

I just wanted to get a feel of people's experiences who have visited the city and gone to Levi's for a Niners game? What was the city like itself, the sightseeing ? The atmosphere at the game, tailgating ect?

Thank you!
I visited San Francisco back in 2004 so cannot speak of experience of visiting Levi, I went to Candlestick and loved every minute bar the result (we lost to a Michael Vick lead Atlanta). I understand it isn't particularly near to San Francisco itself but what I can say is San Francisco is one of the great American cities and I regret that I was only there for 4 nights.

I am sure others can add their experiences here but one should obviously see Golden Gate Bridge, visit Alcatraz, Pier 39, travel on a cable car, see Lombard street, visit China Town, not to mention Yosemite.

Check out trip-advisor on things to do out there

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attrac...alifornia.html

I would also ask on the offical 49ers message board about Levi

http://forums.49ers.com/
Old 27.01.2017, 01:09 PM
Pro Bowler

Haven't been to a game but have been to the city. Very nice city with plenty to do. I usually stay around Fishermans Wharf. It is nice around there and close to the Pier, Sea Lions & the Alcatraz dock is also close. Alcatraz is a must. Really enjoy eating at the Joes Crab Shack down there too.
Old 13.02.2017, 12:02 AM
Pro

Again haven't been to the stadium or Santa Clara, but SF is a great city to visit. Obviously Alcatraz is a must (book well in advance or you're relying on dodgy resale agencies!) Also take the views from Coit Tower, stroll around Chinatown and the esplanade, take a ride on the famous cable car.

Fisherman's Wharf/Pier 39 area has a bit of a Blackpooly feel to it but plenty of attractions in that area, taking a boat trip under the Golden Gate (they depart from close to there) is another must do. Yosemite's probably a bit of a trek for a day trip if you don't have a lot of time, but certainly worth the effort if you can do it properly.
Old 17.02.2017, 07:21 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstb-94 View Post

Thank you!
Have been to Candlestick for games and visited Levis in the offseason last April.

Biggest piece of advice I'd give you is to split your SF bit with your Niners game bit. The new stadium is a long way from San Francisco, in Santa Clara. San Jose is a lot closer.
Old 22.02.2017, 09:42 PM
MVP

Loved San Francisco when I visited, though not for football. We stayed in the Nob Hill / Russian Hill area of the city instead of the usual tourist places like Fisherman's Wharf and Union Square and I think it was absolutely the right decision: very pleasant areas to walk around at night whereas to be honest downtown is a bit creepy in the evenings. You should definitely visit the wharf but it is a little bit Blackpool as someone else said. Quite liked staying up on the hills as there were locals around in the evenings and it felt extremely safe, plus spectacular views too. We often walked to the tourist sites in the morning (downhill!) and then took an Uber back in the evenings. You have to experience how steep the hills are in San Francisco to believe it! Really enjoyed my visit there anyway, probably my favourite city I've visited in the USA. It has its downsides - the number of crazy and homeless people around was shocking - even for someone like me from a major city and who visits the USA a lot too. But there are spectacular views, no shortage of things to do, a nice vibe to the city, people from every walk of life, excellent food, especially seafood. Just remember as some others have said that the stadium is nowhere near San Francisco nowadays.
Old 22.02.2017, 09:43 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillips_11 View Post
Haven't been to a game but have been to the city. Very nice city with plenty to do. I usually stay around Fishermans Wharf. It is nice around there and close to the Pier, Sea Lions & the Alcatraz dock is also close. Alcatraz is a must. Really enjoy eating at the Joes Crab Shack down there too.
Joes is a chain - I go in Pittsburgh all the time. It's OK but in a place like San Francisco you can probably do better for crab legs. In Pittsburgh you're a long way from the sea so I can't complain!