2017 Offseason Thread - News, Free Agency, all that jazz - Page 2 - NFL UK Forums
Watch NFL International Games Live!

Sunday 2 October 2016

VS  

Sunday 23 October 2016

VS  

Sunday 30 October 2016

VS  

Go Back   NFL UK Forums > National Football League > NFL season

Sponsored Links

Old 06.02.2017, 11:49 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCunliffe View Post
Romo's $24.7m will come off the books one way or another, then the Cowboys probably shuffle some money around in Tyron Smith's 10 year contract too. Lee and Witten might get their contracts manipulated too. Basically the FO will create as much cap space as they need.

The offence is pretty much set (with Romo's departure). Ron Leary probably leaves in FA to be replaced by the cheaper La'el Collins. They probably need a #2 WR, or at least some depth but that could depend on Terrance Williams/Bryce Butler and who is available.

The focus will be on defence. Outside of Bryon Jones, Orlando Scandrick and Anthony Brown the secondary is in flux. They need to decide on the durability of Brandon Carr or the 'upside' of Mo Claibourne, or both. Bringing back Barry Church is probably a on their list of priorities too.

Don't see how they can fix the pass rush in FA, just don't think the top names will be out there. Same goes for CB really.

They'll add a veteran or 2 but focus on the draft. Fingers crossed for Jaylon Smith too.
Agree we aint gonna get a pass rusher in FA sure JPP will re sign and we couldnt afford him anyway, dont think the Cowboys will play much in FA and look to the draft for CBs
Sponsored Links
Old 07.02.2017, 12:55 AM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollyrules View Post
Pats wise they got 50m worth of cap space, likely gonna have two first round picks once Jimmy G is traded - Billy is alright at this NFL lark
I'll make a friendly bet that if Garoppolo is traded the Pats won't get anything like a mid 1st round pick. They're obviously welcome to make the noise that that's the cost etc, but I just don't see it for numerous reasons.

---

Lot of free agents this year, key players too.

Top 2 priorities of resignings are...

Perry is a must sign, finally showed some really good play throughout a whole season and coming into his prime but he'll command a fair whack given his position.

Cook is up with Perry in terms of priorities too. Another FA bargain from TT, he was a key cog in our offense getting back to it's peak. He'll surely not want to leave, and his age/previous form may mean he's not going to get top whack elsewhere either.

Next up...

I think we'll look to keep Tretter to become a starter. Has done well, will be relatively cheap, and is versatile in the interior. Barclay isn't that good but has improved since switching inside.

Micah Hyde is a good solid player and lines up at outside corner, nickel and safety. With the raft of injuries we seem to get in the secondary I'm sure McCarthy will want to keep him.

Datone Jones is better at OLB last season but really hasn't been worth the draft selection overall. If kept, he's a reasonable depth option.

Have recently changed my mind and I'm coming around to keeping Lacy, because of the emergence of Montgomery. McCarthy seems to want him to stay, and there were flashes of 2014 before he got injured again. The market for him probably isn't that great given his injury record and previous fatboy reputation, so he'll probably be cheaper and is best used in a limited-carry committee with Montgomery, to protect his durability etc.

...and I think it's a farewell to...

Rodgers won't like it but I think we'll let Lang go - another team will be able to pay him pretty big, it's earned, a combo of his age and position isn't what we normally give fat contracts to.

He's still decent but Peppers could possibly move on (or retire?) too unless there's a drop in salary. What a superb FA signing he was.

I also think Shields will/should retire. Suffering from a W1 concussion there's no way our or any other team doctors should clear him.

--------------

Draft-wise, highest picks will surely be on corner, then pass rush. These 'expert' draftniks already suggesting we're taking a TE or RB all such nonsense

Last edited by jimbobjoylove; 07.02.2017 at 12:59 AM.
Old 07.02.2017, 07:33 AM
MVP

With the Browns having 2 firsts this year (1 & 12) I can see them flipping that 12th as part of a package for Jimmy G.
Old 07.02.2017, 09:44 AM
All Pro

I personally don't think Jimmy G should be worth more than a 2nd round pick, but there is seemingly legit interest from Browns, 49ers and Bears (potentially others) as there is such a lack of quality QB prospects - I can't see us not getting a 1st as part of a deal. We also don't *need* to trade him
Old 07.02.2017, 10:21 AM
All Pro

I don't see a team giving up a pure mid-round 1st for a player that'll need a new contract in one year, i.e. losing all value on the rookie deal, with such a small sample of work in three years. With the most strongly linked team in the Browns, a lot of made of the Browns having all these picks and therefore that must mean they'll package a bunch to throw at another team, but that surely ignores that the Browns under DePodesta guidance will look to get 'value' in all picks. Plus the Browns are talent-bereft, I just don't see it.

Happily eat my hat if I'm wrong, but should it happen it'll be unprecedented (to my knowledge) for such a high pick given up for a previously low 2nd round QB with so little game experience.
Old 07.02.2017, 01:35 PM
All Pro

Whilst all our backup QBs get vastly over valued, mostly by our own deluded fans that every QB we draft is the next Brady (see Mallet, Ryan). Jimmy G is a decent QB from the limited sample size we've seen on him, a first is still to steep, but can see a QB desperate team willing to give up a 1st for him.
Old 07.02.2017, 03:06 PM
Hall of Fame

I can't see the Browns trading 1 (Obviously) or 12 for Jimmy G. As others have said, you're going to have to make a costly long term investment in him soon without much of a CV. I think they are comfortable with Kessler until the right opportunity arises. If the price is a 2nd round pick then perhaps they are tempted.

Can't see the Pats trading him to the Bills or Jets. That leaves Chicago and SF. Shanahan and Lynch potentially have 6 years, does that give them more flexibility in finding THEIR QB? Chicago looks a decent bet, for a 2nd rounder?

If no one bites at the 2nd round cost then the Pats probably get a 3Rd Rd comp pick in 2018 anyway (or he stays a Pat).

Last edited by RichardCunliffe; 07.02.2017 at 03:15 PM.
Old 07.02.2017, 03:29 PM
Hall of Fame

The Steelers released CB Justin Gilbert, the 8th overall pick in the 2014 draft.

People at the time, and in hindsight, have said he was drafted too high, but it's amazing that someone could achieve so little in his time in the NFL.

It says a lot when someone like Joe Thomas tweets:

'If you don't like football, it doesn't matter how talented you are, your star will burn out quick'.
Old 07.02.2017, 08:58 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbobjoylove View Post
I'll make a friendly bet that if Garoppolo is traded the Pats won't get anything like a mid 1st round pick. They're obviously welcome to make the noise that that's the cost etc, but I just don't see it for numerous reasons.
as of this last weekend the Bears/49ers/Texans/Browns where all expressing interest in Jimmy G and all it takes is 2 teams to start a bidding war.He has 1 year at around $1m so he is very cheap cap wise and even with a 2018 tag if he played well and in a Kirk Cousins way a team would get a starter for 2 years at around $11m a year(better than say over paying for a free agent like Brock who with 2 teams wanting him got 2 years $37m in guarantees)

Think the Patriots would probably prefer multiple mid round picks rather than something Top 10 as we can get more depth unless there is a Mayo type guy who Bill would be comfortable with.
Old 07.02.2017, 09:08 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCunliffe View Post
Romo's $24.7m will come off the books one way or another
guess with Dallas and Romo its what the front office want more cap space or a draft pick.if they think there is a market for Tony and trade him his dead money of $19.6m will all stay on the 2017 cap so they only save $5.1m but if they release him with a post june designation he will count $10.7m in 2017 and $8.8m in 2018.

also any cap saving's on Romo will be off-set by the need for a free agent backup QB or risk drafting another young QB and been 1 play away form maybe 2015 again.