VS  

Sunday 30 October 2016

VS  

Go Back   NFL UK Forums > National Football League > NFL season

Sponsored Links

Old 10.02.2017, 04:01 AM
MVP

Default Jimmy Garoppolo

Heard a few people in the media saying it would be a good idea for a team to flip New England a 1st round pick to acquire Jimmy Garoppolo.

Really?

That's way too rich for my blood. I don't think Garoppolo has shown anything like enough to make me part with a 1st round pick for him. One of the teams that have inevitably been suggested has been Cleveland. If I was a Browns fan, and they gave up one of their two first round picks to get Garoppolo, I would be getting that 'oh no, not again' feeling.

Anyone else think Jimmy G is worth that much?
Sponsored Links
Old 10.02.2017, 04:07 AM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvus corax View Post
Heard a few people in the media saying it would be a good idea for a team to flip New England a 1st round pick to acquire Jimmy Garoppolo.

Really?

That's way too rich for my blood. I don't think Garoppolo has shown anything like enough to make me part with a 1st round pick for him. One of the teams that have inevitably been suggested has been Cleveland. If I was a Browns fan, and they gave up one of their two first round picks to get Garoppolo, I would be getting that 'oh no, not again' feeling.

Anyone else think Jimmy G is worth that much?
Any Patriots' backup QB is automatically considered worthy of at least a second round pick in any trade...

Sad thing is, it wouldn't surprise me at all if someone like the Bears or Browns takes the bait, considering their desperate need at the position and the weak looking Draft class...
Old 10.02.2017, 04:32 AM
All Pro

I've talked about it elsewhere but in short I don't think the Pats will get a mid-1st round pick as a pure trade. If they did it manage it, it would be unprecedented for someone of limited experience and previous 2nd round nature to suddenly be worth that much, despite estimations of the QB market, college QBs are etc.

I'm not even sure BB wants to trade him. If he rates him then surely he'd be better off keeping him and then lose him in a year or a likely 3rd round comp pick a year later. That way he keeps the Brady insurance for another year, and also moves a year closer to Brady's retirement if Brady suddenly hits the age wall and they reckon Jimmy is the guy going forward.
Old 10.02.2017, 05:38 AM
All Pro

Kirk Cousins is the only F.A. QB I'd even consider 'going after' this off-season even considering the likely cost of prising away a potential Franchise Tag player. Nobody else has a significant enough resume to convince me they're worth pursuing over and above staying pat in the draft and taking the best (of a bad bunch) QB who becomes available. Garoppolo looked nothing more than 'OK' in a system which has always flattered the QB. Had he continued on for an entire season and done it in the post-season, then yeah, ok, you're looking at a proven commodity. Right now I'd hedge my bets and avoid overpaying by simply spending my allotted draft pick unless I could swing a beneficial deal for Cousins.
Old 10.02.2017, 06:54 AM
All Pro

Surprised Brock Osweiler's name hasn't been mentioned yet. A Superbowl winning team and a backup Quarterback who has played in the season, this sounds like a familiar story, and that story didn't turn out too well last time.
Old 10.02.2017, 07:37 AM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne ellis View Post
Any Patriots' backup QB is automatically considered worthy of at least a second round pick in any trade...

Sad thing is, it wouldn't surprise me at all if someone like the Bears or Browns takes the bait, considering their desperate need at the position and the weak looking Draft class...
That's what Patriots fans and media seem to believe anyway. I saw one fan looking to get #1 and #12 for Jimmy and Gronk! The thing is that it doesn't actually ever happen. They had to throw in Vrabel to get a 2nd and a 4th for Cassel who had started 15 games. Mallett and Hoyer and all these others were basically traded for nothing.

Now, I think Garoppolo is better than all those guys put together, but I still think it's more likely to be Cleveland's #33 than their #12 for example.

What could make it work in New England's favour is the fact that they don't have to trade Garoppolo. He's easy to keep on the cap for next year, and that means they're in no rush, and can get the best deal.
Old 10.02.2017, 10:11 AM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martz View Post
Surprised Brock Osweiler's name hasn't been mentioned yet. A Superbowl winning team and a backup Quarterback who has played in the season, this sounds like a familiar story, and that story didn't turn out too well last time.
Good point but the big difference is that any team trading for Jimmy G will get him with 1 year left on his rookie deal so if he does play and turns out to be another Brock then they can just let him leave without any cap issues.think his $1m cap number in 2017 actually pushes up his trade value when you compare him to trading for say Romo or Cutler who have base salaries of over $15m for 2017.
Old 10.02.2017, 12:07 PM
All Pro

From the limited sample size I've seen I think he is. He's certainly better than the QB prospects in this draft class.

He was a 2nd round pick when drafted and has got better. I know he only played six quarters but he was really damn good. Quick release, good footwork and he's smart. Was reading the blitz against Arizona very well, and there's plays against Miami where he holds the safety with his eyes and goes back to hit a receiver (the Marty Bennett touchdown in particular). All good traits, but obviously the issue is he hasn't had an extended period of time to prove it.

I think the contract helps a trading team - if he sucks you're not tied to him for multiple years (hey Brock!) but if he is as good as advertised then you can lock him down mid season or franchise him.

Pats also have no need to trade him. He is under contract next year extremely cheaply, and who knows Brady could fall off a cliff etc

I think all those factors mean the Pats have a strong hand, there's a lot of demand for QBs - I'd be surprised if they didn't get a 1st rounder.
Old 10.02.2017, 02:28 PM
All Pro

Someone including the bears will bite, the more interest the higher the price. 3rd pick is a very high price, but, if you are drafting a QB in the first what ever happens, he has a couple years and a little nfl game time compared with the complete unknown of a rookie. I can see Cleveland using their lower 1st round pick in trade quite easily.

As with every other backup in NE you need to ask what will they do out of the golden palace, into the nfl ghetto.... probably be decent but that's it.
Old 10.02.2017, 04:52 PM
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvus corax View Post
If I was a Browns fan, and they gave up one of their two first round picks to get Garoppolo, I would be getting that 'oh no, not again' feeling.
Almost every move the Browns make seems to have that 'oh no, not again' feeling.