Sunday 23 October 2016

VS  

Sunday 30 October 2016

VS  

Go Back   NFL UK Forums > National Football League > NFL season

Sponsored Links

Old 12.02.2017, 11:52 PM
Pro

Someone's going to take the gamble given the lack of first round QB talent this year. Would he be any more of a risk or have less upside potential than the three QBs being projected as first round possibles this year, none of whom seems to be a consensus top 10 pick? He has six more quarters of NFL tape than them, for a start...

There's four QB-desperate teams in the top six of the draft, then perhaps Buffalo at #10 and Cleveland with another shot at #12... not much in free agency, Romo will surely only go to a team with immediate playoff prospects, so the Patriots really hold all the aces here. As usual!
Sponsored Links
Old 13.02.2017, 07:07 AM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibaMarines View Post
They need to move him this year. He'll be a free agent next year. No team is motivated to buy since Jimmy can just come to them in free agency.
...which is no use to you if you got fired in the meantime because you didn't have a quarterback this year.
Old 13.02.2017, 09:18 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rory426 View Post
...which is no use to you if you got fired in the meantime because you didn't have a quarterback this year.
Exactly. Team's have to make their move quickly.
Old 13.02.2017, 11:15 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest49 View Post
Someone's going to take the gamble given the lack of first round QB talent this year. Would he be any more of a risk or have less upside potential than the three QBs being projected as first round possibles this year, none of whom seems to be a consensus top 10 pick? He has six more quarters of NFL tape than them, for a start...

There's four QB-desperate teams in the top six of the draft, then perhaps Buffalo at #10 and Cleveland with another shot at #12... not much in free agency, Romo will surely only go to a team with immediate playoff prospects, so the Patriots really hold all the aces here. As usual!
I'd say he has less upside than Kizer. Comparable to Watson and Trubisky though. Except he's ready to run out of the gate whereas I don't see Watson, Trubisky, or Kizer as Day 1 starters.
Old 13.02.2017, 06:14 PM
Starter

I know this is just fan opinion rather than hard stats but there are more than a few Patriots fans who would be sad to see Jimmy leave, and I'm one of them.

I think he has shown all of the early attributes to make it in the NFL and with Brady merely postponing the inevitable there's a real possibility he could turn out better than what we'll end up with post TB12. But that is the NFL.
Old 13.02.2017, 08:57 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToonPatriot View Post
I know this is just fan opinion rather than hard stats but there are more than a few Patriots fans who would be sad to see Jimmy leave, and I'm one of them.

I think he has shown all of the early attributes to make it in the NFL and with Brady merely postponing the inevitable there's a real possibility he could turn out better than what we'll end up with post TB12. But that is the NFL.
its a fair point,the 1st 6 quaters this year showed a player who can start and its not like we tweaked our offence for him or he was not in command enough to do everything Brady does.Also think without Gronk he used Bennett more better than Tom.

but Brady is not getting any worse and looks like he has atleast 2 more years playing at near MVP quality and Jimmy is not going to sign a cheap deal as a back-up to sit and wait.he shares the same agent as Brady(Don Yee) so he will know what extension the Patriots are offering Tom as well which will reflect his long term prospects with us.

Think like the Colts when they drafted Luck its nice to have the choice.Belichick will not trade Jimmy away unless he has convidence in Brissett who looked decent last year and we had him higher rated than Prescott.
Old 13.02.2017, 10:10 PM
All Pro

I think Brady realistically has one more year left before he retires. No hard evidence obviously, just how I see it.

Ideally, Jimmy G will still be in Patriot uniform and seems a capable replacement if he can be persuaded to stay.
Old 13.02.2017, 10:13 PM
Super Moderator

Brady could of course play another 4 years - he's fit and his game relies more on his brain than his physical attributes. However at his age (at any age, but particularly in those 30+) he's only one bad hit away from retirement.
Old 13.02.2017, 10:58 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSTDriver View Post
Brady could of course play another 4 years - he's fit and his game relies more on his brain than his physical attributes. However at his age (at any age, but particularly in those 30+) he's only one bad hit away from retirement.
its a good point about the "one hit" as we saw Favre put up some great seasons into his early 40's with the Vikings but when he finally got hurt you could see he was done.Brady and Brees both need 3 more good years to get up near Peytons'Favre's yards TD's numbers and think Tom is also playing for rings not just stats.Bradys cap hit in 2017 is $14m but then hits $22m in 2018/2019 so maybe thats when it becomes more of a factor.
Old 14.02.2017, 01:28 AM
All Pro

On how long Brady can play for, we really don't know. History suggests the cliff will come quickly, Manning is the obvious recent example of having a career year and then being carried two seasons later. Could easily see Brady playing on until that season hits, then retire at that season end.