Jimmy Garoppolo - Page 4 - NFL UK Forums
Watch NFL International Games Live!

Sunday 2 October 2016

VS  

Sunday 23 October 2016

VS  

Sunday 30 October 2016

VS  

Go Back   NFL UK Forums > National Football League > NFL season

Sponsored Links

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #31  
Old 14.02.2017, 06:38 AM
ChibaMarines ChibaMarines is offline
Rookie
 
Join Date: 12.02.2017
Posts: 12
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic Patriot View Post
I think Brady realistically has one more year left before he retires. No hard evidence obviously, just how I see it.

Ideally, Jimmy G will still be in Patriot uniform and seems a capable replacement if he can be persuaded to stay.
Patriots are going to work on his contract and expect 3-5 more years out of him. Garoppolo is done as a Pat.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #32  
Old 16.02.2017, 07:31 PM
payton3434's Avatar
payton3434 payton3434 is offline
All Pro
 
Join Date: 06.11.2005
Location: Nottingham
Posts: 1,138
Default

Some team keeping very quiet will likely be plotting a trade for a j mccaron, which will shake up the pot a little.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 16.02.2017, 08:05 PM
lee harris 10's Avatar
lee harris 10 lee harris 10 is online now
MVP
 
Join Date: 05.09.2010
Posts: 6,660
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by payton3434 View Post
Some team keeping very quiet will likely be plotting a trade for a j mccaron, which will shake up the pot a little.
reports the Steelers are trying to lock down Landry Jones to an extensionguess the Chase Daniels deal with the Eagles last year probably sets the back-up QB market.the Chiefs are going to decline Nick Foles 2017 option and he could be a starter,think there where reports of teams trying to trade for him last off-season.

Ed Werder of ESPN has said he was around the patriots at the spuerbowl and he thinks from conversations that Jimmy G wont be traded this year.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 17.02.2017, 03:36 PM
olig23's Avatar
olig23 olig23 is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: 16.07.2005
Location: London
Posts: 4,898
Default

I don't really understand why a team would give up a 1st Round pick for Garoppolo. He's proven nothing. And there are a bunch of additional factors that make him even less desirble that the draft pick you are giving up - hypothetically speaking.

Frst off, Garoppolo was a second round prospect. Some viewed him as a potential first rounder player, but non of the teams in that draft selected him. They had the opportunity to. So it's fair to say that he wasn't deemed a 1st round player. QBs are almost always over-drafted too.

Since then, he's barely played. When he has it has been with mixed results in a small sample size. Prior to this year, my biggest takeaway with him had been that he looked like a deer in headlights when blizted. I think those fears were to some extent allayed during his few games at the start of 2016, where he looked pretty good. But you really cannot draw too many conclusions from a game or two. Every single QB in the NFL has played well at times, and poorly at others. But it's where the median is that matters. What's your consistency. The answer is that we simply have no idea.

On top of that, you have to accept that he's had far more than a rookies chance to learn the offence he plays in with New England. So he should be playing at a higher level of comfort. On top of that he's on a team who can keep games close, thus allowing you to play smart football. Also it's a team with a strong supporting cast and All-Time great coaching. This upshot being that he is in an ideal sport to showcase his skills when the opportunity allows. Also, any team who is going to acquire him will run a different offence. And its extremely likely that said team is far less talented and certainly less well coached. So he's entering a more difficult situation. Thus, it's fair to expect a dip in performance.

Matt Cassel is the cautionary tale here. Because he benefited from all of the above and when placed in rebuilding or incompetent lineups he was poor. Now, Matt Cassel was far inferior prosepct than Garoppolo so you lok for some upside with the latter than Cassel never had. But that same upsid exists with any rookie, provided your scouts like them. And in some cases (Mahomes, Trubisky) the upside is far, far higher.

But another cautionary tale springs up here - Brock Osweiler. Osweiler was a second round talent. He was the long-term backup on a winning team. He showed very little, but in a small sample and the team they were on allowed their reputations to become larger than their body of work. Osweiler is a terrible QB and Houston completely screwed up in signing him. Goroppolo is a different player, of course, but taking the blindly optimistic view of a totl unknown quantity is a fools game. Sure, you can roll the dice and hit. But that doesn't make it smart. What Garoppolo has shown in the NFL is nothing. So he remains that second round player he was coming out.

And here is the last part, where I have huge issues. He's older. His contract is going to need sorting. If you roll the dice on Trubisky, Kizer, Watson, Mahomes you at least get a good financial deal while you figure out what you have. With Garoppolo, if he's good you have to pay him. You may end up with a Osweiler or a Cousins situation. It makes little sense. I'd stack up their college tape, and simply go for it that way. But if Garoppolo has the same grade as, say, Watson you still take Watson. Since you don't need to pay him so soon.

The only way I think a 1st is good business, is if you pick at the bottom of the 1st Round, your preferred guys go, and you grade Garoppolo above, the guys on the board. But that's a draft day deal.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 17.02.2017, 03:40 PM
olig23's Avatar
olig23 olig23 is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: 16.07.2005
Location: London
Posts: 4,898
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by payton3434 View Post
Some team keeping very quiet will likely be plotting a trade for a j mccaron, which will shake up the pot a little.
AJ McArron is a nice option if you want a guy to compete. But you need a relatively finished team. I think we know where McCarron's ceiling is, and that's good game manager. I don't see a giy who has the arm both in terms of arm strength or accuracy outside the lines to consistently be "the guy". If you're picking near the top of the draft I think you take a chance on finding a guy. Like Philly did with Wentz.

If you feel like you're close, but need a safe pair o hands, I think teams can do a lot worse than McCarron.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 17.02.2017, 04:17 PM
RichardCunliffe's Avatar
RichardCunliffe RichardCunliffe is online now
Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: 13.09.2006
Location: There or thereabouts
Posts: 14,705
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by olig23 View Post
AJ McArron is a nice option if you want a guy to compete. But you need a relatively finished team. I think we know where McCarron's ceiling is, and that's good game manager. I don't see a giy who has the arm both in terms of arm strength or accuracy outside the lines to consistently be "the guy". If you're picking near the top of the draft I think you take a chance on finding a guy. Like Philly did with Wentz.

If you feel like you're close, but need a safe pair o hands, I think teams can do a lot worse than McCarron.
I don't get why McCarron has suddenly emerged as a viable candidate for teams in need of a QB.

163 players were drafted ahead of him 3 years ago. He's attempted 119 passes in the NFL in 3 years, and made 3 starts.

What makes him more appealing than one of the rookies in this class, a free agent, or Jimmy G. Other than draft compensation perhaps I don't see it, especially when we're talking about the QB position.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 17.02.2017, 04:51 PM
olig23's Avatar
olig23 olig23 is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: 16.07.2005
Location: London
Posts: 4,898
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCunliffe View Post
I don't get why McCarron has suddenly emerged as a viable candidate for teams in need of a QB.

163 players were drafted ahead of him 3 years ago. He's attempted 119 passes in the NFL in 3 years, and made 3 starts.

What makes him more appealing than one of the rookies in this class, a free agent, or Jimmy G. Other than draft compensation perhaps I don't see it, especially when we're talking about the QB position.
Me either. I honestly think part of it, is that they are bigger names entering the league. McCarron was high profile player at Alabama so I feel like that's a factor. In the same way that Tim Tebow was never an NFL prospect at QB when you look at hi actual skill set, but even the NFL couldn't resist the idea of what he could be.

The other thing is that McCarron played well in terms of holding down the fort for Dalton. When I say he did "well", he didn't lose them the game. He put up good numbers in terms of traditional metrics like passer rating. But the issue with him remains, the same reason he was drafted so low, he's not a guy who can carry your offence. That's ok too if the team is good. But when you're talking about handing over picks, you're looking for a guy you feel can be the face of the team. So, I see no rationale in him being traded for either the Bengals or a team looking to add an arm.
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 17.02.2017, 05:16 PM
RichardCunliffe's Avatar
RichardCunliffe RichardCunliffe is online now
Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: 13.09.2006
Location: There or thereabouts
Posts: 14,705
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by olig23 View Post
Me either. I honestly think part of it, is that they are bigger names entering the league. McCarron was high profile player at Alabama so I feel like that's a factor. In the same way that Tim Tebow was never an NFL prospect at QB when you look at hi actual skill set, but even the NFL couldn't resist the idea of what he could be.

The other thing is that McCarron played well in terms of holding down the fort for Dalton. When I say he did "well", he didn't lose them the game. He put up good numbers in terms of traditional metrics like passer rating. But the issue with him remains, the same reason he was drafted so low, he's not a guy who can carry your offence. That's ok too if the team is good. But when you're talking about handing over picks, you're looking for a guy you feel can be the face of the team. So, I see no rationale in him being traded for either the Bengals or a team looking to add an arm.
You're probably right about the 'bama connection, leading a successful college team etc. Funny thing is, I don't recall too many Alabama QB's making an impact in the NFL lately.

I agree with what you said earlier to some extent, teams just need to compare the college tape of this year's rookie class and guys like JG and AJMc. The rookies have the advantage of cheaper contracts and 5th year options, but if JG is markedly better for instance then he's their guy.

It's unlikely teams picking at the end of the round need to trade for a QB, so that makes it hard to see a 1st round pick being traded. If JG is seen to be the best of the bunch though, trading a 2nd round pick makes sense to me.
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 17.02.2017, 05:32 PM
olig23's Avatar
olig23 olig23 is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: 16.07.2005
Location: London
Posts: 4,898
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCunliffe View Post
You're probably right about the 'bama connection, leading a successful college team etc. Funny thing is, I don't recall too many Alabama QB's making an impact in the NFL lately.

I agree with what you said earlier to some extent, teams just need to compare the college tape of this year's rookie class and guys like JG and AJMc. The rookies have the advantage of cheaper contracts and 5th year options, but if JG is markedly better for instance then he's their guy.

It's unlikely teams picking at the end of the round need to trade for a QB, so that makes it hard to see a 1st round pick being traded. If JG is seen to be the best of the bunch though, trading a 2nd round pick makes sense to me.
Yep. Although, never under-estimate teams with dumb owners/GMs. I think we often think teams are way better run than they really are - see Houston. I wouldn't be at all shocked if somebody talked themselves into handing over a haul for Garoppolo. Dumb as it would be.
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 17.02.2017, 08:43 PM
lee harris 10's Avatar
lee harris 10 lee harris 10 is online now
MVP
 
Join Date: 05.09.2010
Posts: 6,660
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by olig23 View Post
Yep. Although, never under-estimate teams with dumb owners/GMs. I think we often think teams are way better run than they really are - see Houston. I wouldn't be at all shocked if somebody talked themselves into handing over a haul for Garoppolo. Dumb as it would be.
thats the point with QB's,teams do sometimes think the gamble of over paying through either the draft or trades/free agency is worth the risk.we saw last year how much the Rams and Eagles gave up for Goff/Wentz or the Broncos taking a project like Paxton Lynch who may take 2 or more years to be a possible starter.

guess all it takes is one team to fear missing out on there new QB for 3 or so years to overpay and its also good for the pats to have the nfl insiders all talking up his value and which teams are interested or draft experts talking about the lack of quality in this years 1st round.

Garoppolo played around 6 quater's and some trash time in other games and went 43/63 for 502 yds 4TD's 0 Ints.put those tape's on and a GM or owner may see a guy who looked very comfortable and avoided making bad mistakes in his 1st real starts.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Sponsored Links


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:06 PM.