VS  

Sunday 30 October 2016

VS  

Go Back   NFL UK Forums > Miscellaneous > Off-Topic - Entertainment/News

Sponsored Links

Old 01.08.2007, 04:34 PM
All Pro

Default Re:American TV series

[quote author=LSUevilmoo link=board=24;threadid=27293;start=15#msg700687 date=1185979593]
Please tell i'm not the only person on here who watched all of Day Break.
That show was pure genius. Anyone who hasnt seen it on TV should down it, its only a 13 part series but its extremely clever. Think Groundhog day but with a guy being framed for murder, and he spends the same day trying to clear his name but it keeps repeating, but with tons of weird bits where it all changes and stuff. Awesome show, probably the best i've ever seen
[/quote]

Started off very promising with a nice idea. While it was pretty pointless cancelling it as there were only 13 episodes, by the end it was obvious why they did - the plot had become overly convoluted and it had become a bit one-dimensional. Still it's better to see a programme that takes a few risks rather than half the crap they commision to be shown these days.
Sponsored Links
Old 03.08.2007, 01:14 AM
All Pro

Has anyone ever seen the Prisoner? I know its a really old show but its looks so physcadelic and was hilariously spoofed by the Simpsons.
Old 03.08.2007, 02:44 AM
All Pro

[quote author=Adamjk link=board=24;threadid=27293;start=15#msg700731 date=1185982447]
[quote author=LSUevilmoo link=board=24;threadid=27293;start=15#msg700687 date=1185979593]
Please tell i'm not the only person on here who watched all of Day Break.
That show was pure genius. Anyone who hasnt seen it on TV should down it, its only a 13 part series but its extremely clever. Think Groundhog day but with a guy being framed for murder, and he spends the same day trying to clear his name but it keeps repeating, but with tons of weird bits where it all changes and stuff. Awesome show, probably the best i've ever seen
[/quote]

Started off very promising with a nice idea. While it was pretty pointless cancelling it as there were only 13 episodes, by the end it was obvious why they did - the plot had become overly convoluted and it had become a bit one-dimensional. Still it's better to see a programme that takes a few risks rather than half the crap they commision to be shown these days.
[/quote]

But i thought they cancelled it mid-series and said they werent going to finish it?
It was then recommisioned and it wrapped the whole thing up nicely? As it was over, so there was no point for anymore episodes anyway as the story finished?
The whole series of Day Break is one thing thats never leaving my laptop, that and the film Beerfest (if you don't like it then you just don't appreciate stupid humour and beer)
Old 03.08.2007, 09:19 AM
Starter

[quote author=Rockne link=board=24;threadid=27293;start=0#msg699921 date=1185895504]
Sorry to rain down on you Dude,but The Wire from HBO on the FX Channel makes The Shield look like Bambi in the headlights of a 60 tonner bearing down on it
[/quote]

Sorry, but nothing comes close to The West Wing, my all-time favourite show.
Just started watching first series of The Wire on FX after a few recommendations.
Old 03.08.2007, 01:13 PM
Starter

The 6th series of The West Wing tailed off with the emphasis on the race for the Democratic nomination and more focus on that than what was happening in The White House, but I thought the final series was back to it's best.
Only watched the first episode of The Wire, FX are rerunning all the series before the new series starts next year.
Old 04.08.2007, 06:19 PM
Rookie

The basic rule seems to be that an HBO label serves as a mark of quality. The Wire is one of the finest reasons to own a telly, though 5 seasons is alas too few, but if David Simon thinks that the show will have played itself out storyline wise, it's encouraging that they admit that and stop rather than keep spinning it out.

The West Wing was sheet awesomeness too, though the post Aaron Sortkin years, (Season 5 onwards) did lose a step in the writing. For anyone with an interest in the nitty gritty of US electoral politics, seasons 6 and 7 are a return to form of sorts.. Studio 60 is a fine follow on piece from Sortkin though, and a pox on NBC for pulling the plug.

Homicide Life on The Street, currently in re-runs on ITV4 is a great Cop Show also from David Simon, and also is interesting in seeing how the writing got from there to The Wire. Also in the ITV outposts, Entourage is solid comedy again from HBO.

Now, if only someone would repeat Murder One.
Old 04.08.2007, 10:04 PM
All Pro

[quote author=ianfalcfan link=board=24;threadid=27293;start=15#msg702392 date=1186247966]
The basic rule seems to be that an HBO label serves as a mark of quality. The Wire is one of the finest reasons to own a telly, though 5 seasons is alas too few, but if David Simon thinks that the show will have played itself out storyline wise, it's encouraging that they admit that and stop rather than keep spinning it out.

The West Wing was sheet awesomeness too, though the post Aaron Sortkin years, (Season 5 onwards) did lose a step in the writing. For anyone with an interest in the nitty gritty of US electoral politics, seasons 6 and 7 are a return to form of sorts.. Studio 60 is a fine follow on piece from Sortkin though, and a pox on NBC for pulling the plug[/quote]

That's it though. Assuming season 5 if the Wire is up to the same standards as the previous material I'd rather they went out on that note. Too many shows outstay their welcome these days, it's great when a great show comes to a halt in a peak rather than trough.

The Wire and The West Wing are the two best TV dramas I've ever seen, mainly because they are so uncompromising towards the viewer. Both require a heavy commitment, you have to start from the very beginning to get all the nuances, understand the characters and get into the story arcs.
Old 05.08.2007, 05:53 PM
All Pro

[quote author=ianfalcfan link=board=24;threadid=27293;start=15#msg702392 date=1186247966]Studio 60 is a fine follow on piece from Sortkin though, and a pox on NBC for pulling the plug.[/quote]

Viewers were not interested, even after its premier was heavily promoted and had Heroes as a lead-in.

It is amazing it lasted as long as it did, any other network would have cancelled it then instead of renewing it for a full season as NBC optimistically did.

As for Homicide: Life on the Street, another truly fantastic show (so much so I was on Channel 4 complaining about their treatment of it, to little avail). It is such a shame that NYPD Blue got all the hype, particularly over here, while the better show was neglected.

Michael.
Old 06.08.2007, 11:26 PM
All Pro

NYPD blue if you can find it anywhere. probably on FX. greatest cop drama ever
Old 07.08.2007, 12:24 AM
MVP

[quote author=Soko link=board=24;threadid=27293;start=15#msg700644 date=1185977722]
The Wire is starting from the beginning on FX again. Monday nights I think, 2 episodes gone so far
[/quote]

Yeah I did see that. I may have to partake in some viewing.

Is the current series of The 4400 any good? I did see most of the first series but kinda lost track. What happened to The Lost Room? It seems to have disappeared without trace.

Is Carnivale worth any time?