Sunday 30 October 2016

VS  

Go Back   NFL UK Forums > 32 NFL Teams > New York Jets

Sponsored Links

Old 11.02.2005, 06:43 PM
Rookie

Default Re:New York Jets Thread

Quote:
The Jets notified John Abraham that they intend to make him their "franchise" player, effectively removing him from the free agent market.
New York Daily News

What do you Jets fans think of the New York Jets organisation move to try and keep John Abraham? Who effectively choose to sit out the Playoffs to try and secure his future and get a big pay packet, rather than playing for the Superbowl. Obviously a lack of team spirit lies in Abraham.
Sponsored Links
Old 11.02.2005, 07:06 PM
MVP

i want to keep abraham,i'm not happy with how he ruled himself out of the playoff games but he could quite clearly not play.He couldn't go at full speed and considering Abraham is more speed than power,Bryan thomas should of been starting over an injured Abraham.

The one thing that really bugs me about Abraham though,is that he is always injured,i think he has only played 2 full seasons out of 5.
Old 11.02.2005, 07:21 PM
All Pro

It is easy to view the Abraham situation as him bailing out on the team. As a Jets fan I obviously tend to view things differently! I would have to give Abraham the benefit of the doubt because it is impossible to know how badly he was injured. However, Terrell Owens just gave a master class in 'giving it up' for the team. If Owens could play with a plate in his ankle just six and a half weeks after surgery I would have liked to see Abraham at least try to play.

But as I said, I have to give him the benefit of the doubt. He is a great player, he'll be healthy for next season and there's no way the Jets can afford to lose him. The Jets defense is very good without him - with him it could be championship calibre.

There are far more questions on offense. Losing LaMont Jordan, as seems inevitable, would be a huge blow. He is capable of ripping off big gains, while Curtis Martin tends to chug along at four and five yards a carry. If Jordan goes the Jets will have to draft an RB in the second or third rounds to try and replace him.

Santana Moss had a quiet season, but Pennington was hurt and Carter was poor. He could rebound if Chad regains full fitness and stays on the field next season.

As for the AFC East, the Bills will struggle if they turn the reins over to Losman - not because he's bad but because young QBs nearly always struggle. The Jets are still the biggest threat to the Pats in the division.
Old 11.02.2005, 07:26 PM
MVP

[quote author=ukjetsfan link=board=1;threadid=8297;start=0#msg171734 date=1108146103]
It is easy to view the Abraham situation as him bailing out on the team. As a Jets fan I obviously tend to view things differently! I would have to give Abraham the benefit of the doubt because it is impossible to know how badly he was injured. However, Terrell Owens just gave a master class in 'giving it up' for the team. If Owens could play with a plate in his ankle just six and a half weeks after surgery I would have liked to see Abraham at least try to play.

But as I said, I have to give him the benefit of the doubt. He is a great player, he'll be healthy for next season and there's no way the Jets can afford to lose him. The Jets defense is very good without him - with him it could be championship calibre.

There are far more questions on offense. Losing LaMont Jordan, as seems inevitable, would be a huge blow. He is capable of ripping off big gains, while Curtis Martin tends to chug along at four and five yards a carry. If Jordan goes the Jets will have to draft an RB in the second or third rounds to try and replace him.

Santana Moss had a quiet season, but Pennington was hurt and Carter was poor. He could rebound if Chad regains full fitness and stays on the field next season.

As for the AFC East, the Bills will struggle if they turn the reins over to Losman - not because he's bad but because young QBs nearly always struggle. The Jets are still the biggest threat to the Pats in the division.
[/quote]

another reason for Moss playing so poorly was the fact we were a very stale predictiable run on 1st and 2nd down offense.With Hackett gone,our offense can finaly live up to its full potential.Our defense and our improved offense means we should be able to make a good run at the AFC east.
Old 17.02.2005, 01:02 AM
All Pro

Send a message via MSN to bigsur

Free Agency '05: Defensive Backs

The New York Jets finished the 2004 season with the 14th ranked pass defense (207 yards/game) in the National Football League. That was a very respectable number considering the unit featured three new starters and a fourth in veteran Donnie Abraham who had started just two games in 2003.

Abraham, coming off an injury-riddled 2003 campaign, returned to action and led the secondary with 17 passes defensed and added two touchdowns. Rookie Erik Coleman, a fifth round selection last April from Washington State University, started all 16 regular season games at free safety and totaled 88 tackles and four interceptions. Last year’s free agency class included cornerback David Barrett and strong safety Reggie Tongue. The 5-10, 195-pound Barrett, who spent the first four seasons of his professional career in Arizona, seemingly played better and better with each passing week. After the Jets’ Divisional Playoff loss in Pittsburgh, Steelers head coach Bill Cowher told New York GM Terry Bradway that Barrett was the best corner his team had faced all season. Tongue, who turns 32 in April, had two postseason interceptions including that spectacular 85-yard return for a score in Pittsburgh.

Injuries forced changes to the depth chart throughout the season. Ray Mickens, who has made a name for himself playing nickel, suffered a training camp knee injury and was placed on IR in September. Then rookie corner Derrick Strait, a third round selection from Oklahoma, broke his foot and was able to play in only five games. Those voids created a lot of playing time for 33-year old CB Terrell Buckley. T-Buck, a riverboat gambler, finished the season with three thefts and now has 50 interceptions for his career. Supremely talented safety Jon McGraw played in 12 games and continues to play at a high level when healthy. Rookies Roderick Bryant and Rashad Washington both saw action primarily on special teams.

The unit finished strong (exception being the regular season finale at St. Louis) and was buoyed by the fine coaching efforts of coordinator Donnie Henderson and first-year defensive backs coach Corwin Brown. But the Green & White would like to see their defensive backfield get younger in ’05.

“In the back end, at corner and safety, we’ll try to get some more young guys in here,” said New York GM Terry Bradway. “I don’t think you can get enough good, young corners. So I think that’s an area that we’re going to try to address.”

So it comes as no surprise that people are suggesting the Jets may use their first round draft selection in April - #26 overall – on a cornerback. The hot names floating about of late include the physical Carlos Rogers from Auburn and Brandon Browner, an early entry from Oregon State. And the club also has an option to address their area of need in free agency. With that in mind, let’s take a look at the open market.

At cornerback, the conversation starts with Charles Woodson. The former Heisman Trophy Winner at the University of Michigan has already played seven seasons with the Raiders and is a four-time Pro Bowl selection. You can’t question Woodson’s athleticism or ability, but his durability and attitude have left a little to be desired. In his first four seasons, Woodson played and started in all of his team’s 64 games. Over the past three seasons, Woodson has participated in just 36 contests. In December, Woodson and teammate Marques Anderson were arrested in the wee hours of the morning on the charge of public intoxication. Woodson has totaled just six interceptions over the past four seasons, but teams don’t challenge the 28-year old too often. The Raiders placed the franchise tag on Woodson last season.

Gary Baxter stands to get a healthy raise in pay. The 26-year old Tyler, Texas native spent the previous four seasons with the Baltimore Ravens and his defensive back coach from 2001-’03 just happens to be current Jets’ defensive coordinator Donnie Henderson. At 6-2, 215 pounds, Baxter has the ideal size and strength of a physical corner. Baxter is said to have good closing speed, but can struggle in coverage with some smaller, quick wideouts. He accounted for 88 tackles and two sacks in ’04.

The Seahawks ball-hawking secondary was led by Ken Lucas, a fourth-year player who broke out last season with six interceptions. At 6-0, 205 pounds, Lucas has efficient size and speed, but has lacked consistency in the past.

Another member of the six interception club last fall was Tennessee’s Andre Dyson. The obvious knock on the 5-10, 183-pound Dyson is his size. But the 25-year old Utah alum is a burner and a playmaker. Despite his size limitations, the guy can flat out cover and he doesn’t shy away from run support.

Down on the Beltway, Fred Smoot amassed 16 interceptions in his first four seasons with the Washington Redskins. Since his days at Mississippi State, Smoot has played with a swagger. The downside with Smoot is he weighs 174 pounds and doesn’t provide much of a physical presence. But Smoot has shutdown corner potential.

Allen Rossum has never blossomed into a big-time defensive player, but the 29-year old is one of the best return men in football. He averaged 12.4 yards per punt return last season and covered at least 20 yards on seven punt returns. Rossum also has scored three touchdowns on kickoff returns over the course of his seven-year career. In 2004, the Notre Dame alum racked up 20 defensive tackles and two picks.

Other Notables: Terrell Buckley (JETS), Aaron Beasley (Atlanta Falcons), Jason Craft (New Orleans Saints), Nick Harper (Indianapolis Colts), Anthony Henry (Cleveland Browns),

Renaldo Hill (Arizona Cardinals), Kevin Mathis (Atlanta Falcons) & Willie Williams (Pittsburgh)

This year’s safety class is led by Donovin Darius. The 6-1, 225-pound Darius, a Camden, New Jersey native, is a classic big hitter who makes receivers take note of where he is on the field. Darius had 89 tackles last season to go along with a career-high five interceptions. This guy loves to go down in the box to mix it up.

One of the most intriguing names available is Kenoy Kennedy, a 27-year old former University of Arkansas standout. The 6-1, 215-pound Kennedy has been playing out West in Denver, so he doesn’t receive the publicity of other quality safeties. But Kennedy packs a wallop and will have great value.

Sammy Knight will turn 30 in September, but should be productive for a couple more seasons. Knight, a 6-0, 215-pound veteran who has spent the past two seasons with the Dolphins, finished ’04 with 96 tackles, four interceptions and two forced fumbles. Knight’s feet aren’t getting any quicker, but this guy’s a competitor always eying the turnover.

Marlon McCree doesn’t have great size (5-11, 202 pounds) and can get swallowed up at times, but he’s adequate against the run and a decent cover safety.

Pay close attention to the negotiations in Tampa with Dwight Smith. Like the aforementioned McCree, Smith (5-10, 201 pounds) is lacking in size, but he plays big. Last season, Smith totaled six turnovers with three picks and three forced fumbles. In his past three seasons, Smith has combined to record 12 interceptions.

Former Super Bowl MVP Dexter Jackson is looking for employment. Jackson was released by Arizona after six games last season, but resurfaced in Tampa. Just two seasons ago, Jackson had six interceptions for the Cards.

Two restricted players of note are Brian Russell (Minnesota Vikings) & Chris Hope (Pittsburgh Steelers). Russell, an above average athlete and good run supporter, plays with good effort and is adequate in coverage. Hope, a good, young athletic player, is a willing hitter and possesses above average range as a pass defender.

Other Notables: Idrees Bashir (Indianapolis Colts), Jay Bellamy (New Orleans Saints), Tyrone Carter (Pittsburgh Steelers), Keion Carpenter (Atlanta Falcons) & Antuan Edwards (St. Louis Rams) *Will Demps (RFA – Baltimore Ravens

From newyorkjets.com
Old 17.02.2005, 01:23 AM
MVP

David Barrett was very good this year,doesn't really grab the INTs but he did do a good job on a lot Pro bowl Receivers this year.Erik Coleman was a nice suprise,i'd love to get Darius from the jags.We would then have one hard hitting safety and one quick safety who can make plays.Then nab a cornr with our 1st rounder and thats our secondery set for a long time.
Old 17.02.2005, 01:44 AM
All Pro

Send a message via MSN to bigsur

That would be good, but i imagine tht Darius wont be cheap, and i know that our cap isnt full but isnt empty i think that we will end up with a 1st round CB, a new kicker, maybe another WR, i think our O is all rounded team, but our d-backs is our only major concern
Old 18.02.2005, 05:37 PM
Team Captain

I thought the Jets had a pretty good season but it should have been better in the end. I read the NY press quite a bit with being a Knicks and Mets fan, and I don't have a good feeling that the stadium will be built.

For those who don't know, the Jets with the political backing of the NYC Mayor Bloomberg, and pretty much all the top state and city officials are planning to build a city on the west side, which will also be used to expand the Jacob Javits convention centre. The main objectors to this plan are Cablevision, who own Madison Square Garden, who are worried that a big stadium and convention centre would take away a lot of their business. Cablevision have actually put a bid in for the site where they would build housing on the site. At the moment, Cablevision do not have any housing developments, so their bid is purely to block the stadium.

My feeling is that they will delay it, and New York will not win the Olympic bid, the stadium project will lose support and will be abandoned. Within the metropolitan area, Queens would be the obvious site, but obviously other cities would be interested. The problem facing NY sports teams is that all of the teams are looking for new stadia at the same time, particularly the baseball teams and the city will not be able to support all of the projects. There were reports last year that New Jersey were making efforts to try and woo the Mets and Yankees into crossing the Hudson to replace the losses of the Jets and Nets, so the next year will be interesting.
Old 18.02.2005, 06:21 PM
MVP

Quote:
My feeling is that they will delay it, and New York will not win the Olympic bid, the stadium project will lose support and will be abandoned
thats exactly what i think will happen.Have you seen the re-designed plans of what the stadium would like.Its horrible.Looks like a big Green house,although it dos look nice on the inside.I just want us to get a stadium.It would be nice for it to actualy be in New York state though.

Although i wouldn't mind if we chipped in with The Giants to renovate the medowlands.As long as it would be the joint home of the Jets and Giants and not just the Giants.It sucks that we are the only team with out a home.

some shinny pics of what the stadium would look like.

Old 18.02.2005, 07:46 PM
All Pro

I really hope that stadium gets the go ahead! I spend a lot of time in New York, and west manhattan definitely needs some skyline improvement.

This stadium will defintely do that. I would defintely take in a game there...