Sunday 30 October 2016

VS  

Go Back   NFL UK Forums > Miscellaneous > Off-Topic - Entertainment/News

Sponsored Links

Old 24.09.2009, 05:05 PM
GOAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack1 View Post
High earners alreay pay an unfair rate of tax, IMO there should be a flat rate of tax for all.

On you second point, speak for yourself I think we need a cut in public services.
Oh the high end earners on ludicrous bonuses and salaries. . they pay over the odds do they. . flat rate for all. . so someone on 150.00 per week should pay the same rate of tax as someone on 150.000 a week should they. . wow when are you running for office
Sponsored Links
Old 24.09.2009, 05:11 PM
All Pro

Send a message via MSN to jack1 Send a message via Skype™ to jack1

Quote:
Originally Posted by syborg View Post
Oh the high end earners on ludicrous bonuses and salaries. . they pay over the odds do they. . flat rate for all. . so someone on 150.00 per week should pay the same rate of tax as someone on 150.000 a week should they. . wow when are you running for office
Surely the two figures you have posted are in fact the same? Unless you have mistakenly put full stops instead of a commas.

But back to the point, yes of course there should be a flat rate of tax, not to mention council tax should also be based on income, because it rewards sucess and creates a fairer system where people don't get punished for achieving.
Old 24.09.2009, 05:14 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Surely the two figures you have posted are in fact the same? Unless you have mistakenly put full stops instead of a commas.

But back to the point, yes of course there should be a flat rate of tax, not to mention council tax should also be based on income, because it rewards sucess and creates a fairer system where people don't get punished for achieving.
Another Jack1 hall of shame post
Old 24.09.2009, 05:19 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrvincent1 View Post
Another Jack1 hall of shame post
What a stupid comment to make.
Old 24.09.2009, 05:23 PM
All Pro

Talking

Quote:
More money for the police!!
Gwent Police yes, but not South Wales Police.
Old 24.09.2009, 05:35 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal View Post
Gwent Police yes, but not South Wales Police.
Haha, now thats just mean!

Jack, not as stupid as a fixed rate of tax for all. That kind of suggestion deserves to be derided.
Old 24.09.2009, 05:37 PM
All Pro

Quote:

Jack, not as stupid as a fixed rate of tax for all. That kind of suggestion deserves to be derided.
As usual JR your berate people without coming up with a sensible arguement, sorry that I want to encourage sucess.
Old 24.09.2009, 05:45 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
As usual JR your berate people without coming up with a sensible arguement, sorry that I want to encourage sucess.
I am sorry, I keep forgetting that its only you who can state opinions as fact.

Its all about spreading the wealth. Why cant that happen without encouraging success?
Old 24.09.2009, 05:46 PM
All Pro

Quote:
As I personally am a conservative libertarian I think its strange that someone with a libertarian view point would support the NHS.

If people are willing to accept the money they are being payed then we are paying people the right amount, if we have a staff shortage then people need to be payed more.
Well, I was opposed to it before I studied it in depth (I wrote a dissertation on the NHS as opposed to the Massachucetts Health Care reform bill) but I'm an empirical libertatrian - I believe that most (and just about everything for that matter) things operate most effectively and efficiently under a market system, but healthcare is one of the few things that simply doesn't (although introducing some quasi-markets can improve internal efficiency.) There are too many complications that throw the market off efficiency - the third party payment problem, adminstration costs, drug company contracts to name but a few.

As regards to the pay issue - you're quite right in many ways. What I mean is there's a disparity in terms of pure market value (what someone could charge for their skills and recouping the cost of training, stress of the job and hours worked) - I.E what top healthcare professionals earn in the states, compared to what they are paid here. Generally it's the old "non-cash" job benefits explanation that's applicable - people are prepared to work for a lower cost because they believe their work has social value, and thus are prepared to accept being paid below skills. Plus bleed-off is reduced because medical licensing issues means it very difficult to transfer to another healthcare system if dissatisfied with pay.

If this low wage cost ever changes though (and there is some pressure) then we'd be better off scrapping the NHS. It's just at the moment the benefits of price outweigh the costs of inefficiency. If I felt the system would work better under a market at present I'd support it like a shot.
Old 24.09.2009, 05:57 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Its all about spreading the wealth. Why cant that happen without encouraging success?
I would hope it isn't about that, and it is more about giving people the tools to suceed.

The reason the two can't work together is because for example say I was a sucesful lawyer who had spent his whole life working to get to this position, why on earth should I fund someone who has no intention of working and has spent his whole life doing no work?

That surely can't be a fair system.