Sunday 23 October 2016

VS  

Sunday 30 October 2016

VS  

Go Back   NFL UK Forums > Miscellaneous > Off-Topic - Sports

Sponsored Links

Old 04.03.2012, 09:17 PM
Pro Bowler

March Madness is truly one of the most exciting moments in the sporting calendar, and if I may suggest a somewhat controversial point, it's the closest the Americans have to the FA Cup in terms of upsets and turning up on the day. It's brilliantly simple - win and you're in, lose and you're out.
It's a shame that the Butler Bulldogs won't be in the tournament - unless the NCAA selection committee goes utterly hatstand...
Sponsored Links
Old 05.03.2012, 01:53 PM
Starter

Duke need to win the ACC tournament to get back at the damn tar heels!
Old 05.03.2012, 05:54 PM
Team Captain

Are you a Duke fan then? That game a few weeks ago with the 2 minute comeback and Austin River's buzzer beater was epic.

Up there with Kansas-Mizzou and Indiana-Kentucky (my personal favourite ending) for games of the season. Any other nominations?
Old 06.03.2012, 02:51 PM
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood_87 View Post
Are you a Duke fan then? That game a few weeks ago with the 2 minute comeback and Austin River's buzzer beater was epic.

Up there with Kansas-Mizzou and Indiana-Kentucky (my personal favourite ending) for games of the season. Any other nominations?
yes i am

I saw it! incredible game!
Old 06.03.2012, 03:32 PM
Team Captain

Syracuse Orange fan reporting for duty - I picked them for the same reason I picked the Oregon Ducks as my NCAAF team, before I knew anything about either league.

I was happy when I discovered that the Orange were a good team but I haven't been able to catch many games at all unfortunately.
Old 11.03.2012, 12:37 AM
MVP

Damn i hate sport sometimes painful loss for Syracuse against a Cinncinati team that just out played them. Syracuse is limping into the big dance. Seemed too easy to predict that the orange were going to struggle to win away from the dome.
Old 11.03.2012, 01:28 AM
Starter

Duke are out of the ACC
Old 11.03.2012, 08:53 PM
All Pro

my boys bring it home for the first time

go seminoles!!!!! champs! #3 seed now i hope....
Old 11.03.2012, 09:39 PM
Rookie

Can someone explain to me how the NCAA tournment works, I thought there was a bracket of 32 teams, but I'm sure I heard them say 60 odd the other day.

If a team like Duke loses their respective conference tournament, can they still get picked in the tournament, and does the overall winner of the bracket become national champions? (even if they lost their conference tournament).

Lasty, who decides the seeds and who goes to the 'big dance'?

Thanks for any answers
Old 11.03.2012, 09:50 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley2011 View Post
Can someone explain to me how the NCAA tournment works, I thought there was a bracket of 32 teams, but I'm sure I heard them say 60 odd the other day.

There are a total of 68 teams iirc. 8 teams play each other with the winners going on to the 'final' 64. That 64 is then divided into the four regions midwest, east, west and south, so 16 teams per region. Teams are seeds by region 1-16 then 1plays 16 etc. Its then just a simple knockout tournament to give us the final 4, one from each region.

If a team like Duke loses their respective conference tournament, can they still get picked in the tournament, and does the overall winner of the bracket become national champions? (even if they lost their conference tournament).

Yes they will still be in the tournament. The winner of each conf championship gets an automatic entry to the 'big dance' which is helpful for alot of the lower ranked teams and teams from less rated conferences. and yes the winner of the tourney is the national champion.

Lasty, who decides the seeds and who goes to the 'big dance'?

There is a committee of I think its ten conference commissioners and various schools athletics directors. They decide based on strength of schedule/rpi etc

Thanks for any answers

I hope that helps a bit, I'm not an expert myself either