VS  

Sunday 30 October 2016

VS  

Go Back   NFL UK Forums > National Football League > NFL TV coverage

Sponsored Links

Old 18.01.2017, 12:02 AM
Rookie

Angry Sky giving the game away!

Am I the only person who is furious at Sky after their play-off highlights coverage?

I didn't have time to watch 4 divisional play-offs at the weekend so decided to avoid the scores of the games and watch the hour-long highlights shows on Sunday/Monday instead.

Before the third game, Green Bay @ Dallas, the presenter opened the show by saying something like "let's see who's going to win and travel to Atlanta for the NFC Championship game". I'm thinking "D'oh!" If Dallas won they would have hosted Atlanta, so the comment gave the game away before it had even started! So despite one of the most exciting play-off endings in years, I kinda knew what was about to unfold.

Then, at the end of the Dallas game - and with highlights of the next game, Pittsburgh @ Kansas City, about to be shown, they advertised the following week's Championship games i.e. Green Bay @ Atlanta and you've guessed it, Pittsburgh @ New England! (They had also done something similar the week before during the Wild Card games.)

My enjoyment of both games was ruined. So Sky, my simple message for you is, please pre-empt such comments/adverts with the words "If you don't want to know the score, look away now." It's been done for years, is tried and trusted and shouldn't be difficult!
Sponsored Links
Old 18.01.2017, 12:41 AM
GOAT

a pain and i'm not sure of the overall scheduling but you were probably better off watching them in order.

also On Demand might be the best way to get them when it comes to the ads.
Old 18.01.2017, 03:49 AM
All Pro

Thumbs down Sky giving the game away!

I watched the games live (on Game Pass) but can quite understand your frustration - I think you should send your thoughts to Sky Sports management directly as they are more than valid. Also threaten if they cant do something so simple as to preface spoilers with a warning you will go else where for your NFL coverage - i.e. Game Pass!

GP would not only allow you to watch games live but they are then there to access and watch when you want and so if you do not have the time to watch the full broadcast you can get condensed games - so you still get the full game play but without all the stuff in between when the clock is stopped - in effect you can watch a whole game in about 45mins.

Failing that avoid Sky spoilers and wait for the BBC NFL Highlights show.

However I feel your pain bro - I have experienced this with other sports trying to avoid reults to watch events/matchs/meets whatever at a later point when I have the time and had the news or something spoil it.
Old 18.01.2017, 12:27 PM
Rookie

Agree 100% Craig. I watched the GB v DAL game live but couldn't stay up to watch KC v PIT. I recorded both highlights shows the following morning as my son wanted to watch the GB game after school. So , he's watching the highlights when I get back from work on a Monday and I sit down to watch the incredible finale with him. Then straight after the highlights they announce the Championship games next week even though the Steelers Chiefs game was up next. That's crazy! Did no one at Sky think that people would be watching the very next programme?
Old 18.01.2017, 03:00 PM
All Pro

The problem is you have people editing and putting together the highlights of the games that possibly aren't that interested in NFL nor have the mindset a lot of NFL fans have in this country of going on a social media/sports website blackout until you catch up with the games.

This is always the problem with growing the game for me. No doubt NFL UK would love nothing more than for NFL results/news to be a feature in all news and morning programmes on mainstream channels. However if that ever happened it would decrease my enjoyment of the sport by around 80% because other than the early Sunday evening games I watch all my NFL on catch up avoiding the scores before I've had a chance to watch them.
Old 18.01.2017, 04:07 PM
Pro

I found that the highlights shows were so poorly cobbled together anyway that you are better off recording the live games and fast forwarding through all the breaks.

It doesn't take much longer to watch a recorded live game than the highlights shows (I can watch a whole game in about an hour), you get to see every play that way and more importantly there are no spoilers!
Old 21.01.2017, 11:56 AM
Rookie

Default Sky giving the game away!

Thanks for the feedback guys - some interesting thoughts there.

goodkarma84: I did watch the games in order - deliberately to avoid a spoiler - but unfortunately it didn't work.

bluelionman: I don't know much about Gamepass but will investigate further. Thanks for the tip. I'm also enjoying the BBC highlights show but come play-off time, I'm looking for a bit more of the action and their clips are fairly brief. I will write to Sky though. I'm still angry about this almost a week later!

SundanceDragon/jonno: It's good to know that it's not just me that enjoys the NFL by avoiding the score and watching later - and it's not just me who is frustrated by Sky's approach. On this basis, I will write to them and make the point.

CM_Punk: I might try your suggestion about recording the live game this weekend. I'll have to clear some stuff of my Sky box first though!
Old 21.01.2017, 05:25 PM
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigi99 View Post
Thanks for the feedback guys - some interesting thoughts there.

goodkarma84: I did watch the games in order - deliberately to avoid a spoiler - but unfortunately it didn't work.

bluelionman: I don't know much about Gamepass but will investigate further. Thanks for the tip. I'm also enjoying the BBC highlights show but come play-off time, I'm looking for a bit more of the action and their clips are fairly brief. I will write to Sky though. I'm still angry about this almost a week later!

SundanceDragon/jonno: It's good to know that it's not just me that enjoys the NFL by avoiding the score and watching later - and it's not just me who is frustrated by Sky's approach. On this basis, I will write to them and make the point.

CM_Punk: I might try your suggestion about recording the live game this weekend. I'll have to clear some stuff of my Sky box first though!
If, like me, you have SkyQ - you need to watch your recording by putting your hand over the bottom of the screen when you fast-forward adverts, pause it to put the kettle on, or for any reason.

The muppets who designed the interface included a progress bar at the bottom of the screen which, at the far right, displays the total recorded time... so, in a close game that may or may not go to OT - you automatically know if it did or didn't if your eyes clock the progress bar and you see your recording has ten minutes or so to go, and not, let's say, 45 mins, had it went to OT.

Absolute idiots. On the old Sky box it never showed any of this 'giving the game away' nonsense. Let's say you had recorded the Andy Murray Olympic tennis final - or any live sporting event such as that to watch later. SkyQ gives the game away if the match was over in three sets, or not - if you catch sight of the idiotic progress bar. Same deal with a soccer cup game that may or may not have ET and pens....

Sky - Believe in Stupid.
Old 21.01.2017, 07:48 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by pozbaird View Post
If, like me, you have SkyQ - you need to watch your recording by putting your hand over the bottom of the screen when you fast-forward adverts, pause it to put the kettle on, or for any reason.

The muppets who designed the interface included a progress bar at the bottom of the screen which, at the far right, displays the total recorded time... so, in a close game that may or may not go to OT - you automatically know if it did or didn't if your eyes clock the progress bar and you see your recording has ten minutes or so to go, and not, let's say, 45 mins, had it went to OT.

Absolute idiots. On the old Sky box it never showed any of this 'giving the game away' nonsense. Let's say you had recorded the Andy Murray Olympic tennis final - or any live sporting event such as that to watch later. SkyQ gives the game away if the match was over in three sets, or not - if you catch sight of the idiotic progress bar. Same deal with a soccer cup game that may or may not have ET and pens....

Sky - Believe in Stupid.
Same on gamepass too with games that aren't live. Gives it away so I try not to pause it. Rubbish. I don't log in from a PC anymore I use the iPad certainly in the past on PC it did this thing where as soon as the last game that week finished (usually Monday) it would immediately on the front page as you log in list the next week's games with a link to watch the . No biggie in the regular season but in the playoffs if you were trying to avoid the scores til you got home from work on Monday you would log on and instantly know the 4 winners. I used log on having to hide most of the screen with my hand. People just don't think. As if we needed access buttons to click on the following week's games anyway on the Monday, 5-6 days before kick off.

Anyway, I took an emergency day's holiday this Monday once we made the Championship game at 11:40pm Sunday night. I have to go to work Monday and work long hours such that starting the week on three to four hours' sleep isn't viable and at this stage in the season it is just too risky with spoilers now - normally just stay of NFL.com, espn, other US sports websites and social media but now any old mainstream media might contain spoilers or some idiot in the office who knows nothing about it but knows you do will manage to spoil it. Day off is a must!