Sunday 23 October 2016

VS  

Sunday 30 October 2016

VS  

Go Back   NFL UK Forums > National Football League > NFL TV coverage

Sponsored Links

Old 23.01.2017, 01:40 PM
Pro

Anyone who thinks Dara is 'ok' needs their bumps felt. She can't even form a coherent sentence, doesn't seem to understand the game and just interrupts for no reason.

Awful, awful host. I mean she can't even talk.
Sponsored Links
Old 23.01.2017, 08:35 PM
Pro

Richard Graves is the 'jack of all trades' Sky sports news correspondent, he is based in the North, i've seen him here in Hull covering Hull City on transfer deadline day and also interviewing the various managers here, also covers Rugby League and Yorkshire cricket.
Can't see the point myself in sending him all the way over to the States just for fill ins about crowd atmospheres and the odd soundbite from the press conferences he's attended.

As already posted on here, when you think of the sports journalists that Sky have made redundant due to cost cutting, then why send one all the way out to the States for some banal chat to fill in the time between breaks when they have studio guests doing exactly the same!

As for Dara and studio guests, for me it just doesn't work, seems so disjointed and just a complete mess. I've said before that i think Reynolds is the token Brit, an NFLUK cheerleader if you like, full of enthusiasm but lacking any real substance. Reinbold has credibility as someone who has coached at various levels in the US and Canada, understands the game, has a knowledge of the college ranks and offers a genuine insight week in week out. Gayle has the credibility as an all pro player who played and won a Super Bowl with arguably one of the greatest defenses that the game has ever seen, but his personality doesn't seem a great fit, maybe he just finds it hard to convey it on screen, but he has improved and he and Reinbold seem to enjoy each others company and bounce off each other better than they used to, from what i can remember anyway!

Dara just doesn't seem to cut it for me, i never really rated Cadle and thought he was fortunate to get the hosting gig with his basketball background rather than football, he often seemed to get muddled during the broadcast but Dara has plummeted to levels never reached by Kev! She often seems to be totally oblivious to the game situation and i just wonder if she got the hosting gig to improve the equality and quota at Sky. As a caveat, i'm sure hosting for 6 hours plus is no easy task, but surely they can do better at Sky, or is it the fact that we are watching a minority sport in the UK, they just don't care as they are ploughing their resources into programming that will help their subscriber base, certainly not NFL?

I'don't watch Sky's coverage every week nowadays, i enjoy Redzone and also watch Niners games (someone has to), but when i do see Sky and have seen most of their playoff coverage, it is a bit like car crash TV these days, and it never used to be like this from what i remember, they do seem to be going backwards.

However i remember the old adage and it is a fact, that these are just opinions, nothing more and as long as the execs and powers that be in the Sky departments are happy with Dara, Neil and guests, then i suppose it doesn't matter what we think, can our opinions on forums change the format, hosts and guests at Sky, probably not!
Old 24.01.2017, 09:33 AM
Rookie

Lets face it, filling the six hours is a challenge for any broadcaster..no surprise its a bit of a shambles. To be honest I would rather Sky just do what BT Sport do with College football...take the US network feed - pregame and halftime shows etc.

On the longer ad breaks , end of quarter, 2 minute warning etc could invest a bit of money saved by no presenters into some pre recorded stuff - highlights, great plays, historical games etc. As long as this was fairly fresh, this would be enough.

There is plenty of analysis from the colour commentator to make further breakdowns unnecessary - look at the US networks half time shows - they are about 2 minutes long!
Old 24.01.2017, 12:27 PM
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by woosiep@aol.com View Post
Lets face it, filling the six hours is a challenge for any broadcaster..no surprise its a bit of a shambles. To be honest I would rather Sky just do what BT Sport do with College football...take the US network feed - pregame and halftime shows etc.

On the longer ad breaks , end of quarter, 2 minute warning etc could invest a bit of money saved by no presenters into some pre recorded stuff - highlights, great plays, historical games etc. As long as this was fairly fresh, this would be enough.

There is plenty of analysis from the colour commentator to make further breakdowns unnecessary - look at the US networks half time shows - they are about 2 minutes long!
That's an option! They do it with MNF (quite like their half time show actually!). SNF the same, although they just show highlights at half time, which isn't so bad (especially if you recorded it and can skip forward).
Old 24.01.2017, 07:49 PM
Pro Bowler

I disagree - Dara / Neil / Shaun / Jeff or anyone else may not be my personal cup of tea, but in my opinion, it matters greatly that they are in a UK studio talking directly to me, a UK fan. Then, these same people go out on the road with the excellent UK fan roadshows. They also appear at IS games. It personalises it, love them or not, I absolutely believe we'd miss them greatly and the NFL in the UK would be the poorer if they weren't there.
Old 24.01.2017, 08:19 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by pozbaird View Post
I disagree - Dara / Neil / Shaun / Jeff or anyone else may not be my personal cup of tea, but in my opinion, it matters greatly that they are in a UK studio talking directly to me, a UK fan. Then, these same people go out on the road with the excellent UK fan roadshows. They also appear at IS games. It personalises it, love them or not, I absolutely believe we'd miss them greatly and the NFL in the UK would be the poorer if they weren't there.
I agree completely that connection is important, but more so why they must have the right people in post. Dara Kennedy detracts from that to the point people are skipping the studio input

Reynolds can be a good host, he does it on stage at IS games, interviews players and takes the host role in the Inside the Huddle podcasts. Moving him to host and bringing in another analyst may well fix a broken presentation
Old 24.01.2017, 08:53 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillips_11 View Post
No idea who he is but he was in Dallas thanksgiving. Just screams of that irritating, boring and cliche sky sports news correspondent type.
to be fair anytime Dara asked him a question it was normally "whats the atmosphere like there" or "what was it like there when ...." happened.

guess he's not in the stadiums to offer x's & o's and his links just stopped Jeff and the others doing some real analysis.