Sunday 23 October 2016

VS  

Sunday 30 October 2016

VS  

Go Back   NFL UK Forums > National Football League > NFL TV coverage

Sponsored Links

Old 26.08.2015, 02:44 PM
Pro Bowler

Disappointing that it's not available on free to air, hope it doesn't have a big impact on viewing figures and support for the NFL in Britain.

I do have Sky, but Mike Carlson is my favourite commentator, so hoping he's involved somewhere along the line.
Sponsored Links
Old 26.08.2015, 04:00 PM
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonDay View Post
I think this is a shame and will impact the sports growth in the UK. I subscribe to Sky, but know a few casual NFL fans who don't. They'd stay up or record SNF and watch it on Monday. Now they won't be able to do that.

Whilst there are clearly a lot of die hard fans here, the IS games are still reliant of casual fans wanting to go, without FTA games their interest may well dwindle.

It's similar to the participation problems facing cricket and golf. Take away the exposure and it's harder to generate interest in watching/playing the sport.
This is what I used to do. Record the Channel 4 coverage then watch it Monday afternoon. I won't pay for Sky and Game Pass is not affordable for me at the moment so I fear without easy access to coverage my interest will wane.
Old 26.08.2015, 04:43 PM
Team Captain

what a kick in baws for fans that cant afford sky sports
Old 26.08.2015, 04:52 PM
Rookie

As the last 6 weeks will be shown on Sky 1 this is the compromise with it no longer being on free to air, as you don't have to fork out for sky sports you just get the basic sky TV. Also these will be games with play off implications.
Old 26.08.2015, 05:47 PM
Rookie

Yes terrible day for those not in apposition to subscribe to Sky Sports. Feel Alistair Kirkwood has let us down - I know you cant force FTA channels to show it - but I still feel let down. I could cry!
Old 26.08.2015, 05:52 PM
GOAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by giantmike View Post
As the last 6 weeks will be shown on Sky 1 this is the compromise with it no longer being on free to air, as you don't have to fork out for sky sports you just get the basic sky TV. Also these will be games with play off implications.

its an odd one has surely getting it on pick or challenge would of been better options even though they lack HD.
Old 26.08.2015, 05:58 PM
All Pro

Depends if it was easier for them to sell live rights to Sky and then sell a full replay on someone like Challenge later in the week.
Old 26.08.2015, 06:05 PM
GOAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by FallenFlyer View Post
Depends if it was easier for them to sell live rights to Sky and then sell a full replay on someone like Challenge later in the week.
Challenge and Pick are both Sky owned.
Old 26.08.2015, 06:16 PM
All Pro

I can't believe this was NFLUK's first choice; it's probably more a reflection on the attitudes towards sports coverage with the terrestrial providers and their slight obsession with anything British, regardless of the quality of the competition or it's domestic popularity.

I personally couldn't pay Sky a penny on moral grounds given their ownership. Plus the blackouts on Sundays makes Gamepass a complete no-no. Even if Eurosport still have highlights of MNF, which seems unlikely, well... it's MNF!

I hope those with Sky enjoy the season though and may all your teams avoid injury crises!
Old 26.08.2015, 06:34 PM
All Pro

So another year backwards for the NFL in the UK. This time FTA coverage is gone.

Also there is again no tv coverage outside of the games (except Hard Knocks) either.

The NFL is really struggling in the UK now. I would hope that going forward the NFL and NFLUK take a step back and look at what we had (in regard to tv coverage) a few years ago and think to themselves...Where did we mess up?

I just hope Sky at least bring us the pre game coverage from the US for MNF, like we used to have (and perhaps SNF).