Sunday 30 October 2016

VS  

Go Back   NFL UK Forums > National Football League > NFL TV coverage

Sponsored Links

Old 19.10.2016, 06:18 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM_Punk View Post
Do you think in the next year or two we will see the full games at 6pm & 9pm phased out and replaced with Red Zone?

I know they tried it before and it was met with a big backlash, but these viewing figures must make Sky think.

I'd hate to see the full games go but from a business sense Sky are seeing a show with no production/studio costs getting similar or better ratings than their own produced shows, must make them think about going full time with Red Zone.
Perhaps if they dumped the studio and just showed the full games the ratings would improve.
Sponsored Links
Old 19.10.2016, 07:47 AM
MVP

Quote:
Do you think in the next year or two we will see the full games at 6pm & 9pm phased out and replaced with Red Zone?

I know they tried it before and it was met with a big backlash, but these viewing figures must make Sky think.

I'd hate to see the full games go but from a business sense Sky are seeing a show with no production/studio costs getting similar or better ratings than their own produced shows, must make them think about going full time with Red Zone.
Surely they are more likely to just ditch red zone? How do you make money from red zone when there are no advert breaks?

Does anyone know how many UK Gamepass subscribers there are? Surely this needs to be taken into account when looking at NFL viewing figures, I watch NFL every Sunday but never on British TV. I won't pay for Sky anyway and don't like a 'British twist' to my NFL particularly, but the main reason is I want to watch my team live every single week, not endless NFC East, Patriots and games of teams who are heading for London soon, which is what Sky generally choose. So Gamepass it is. I suspect that plenty of those who don't have Gamepass feel the same, which is why they watch red zone: at least they get to see a bit of their team's game (among various others) rather than watching teams they don't support. In the long run I think tiring of watching neutral matchups between teams you're not interested in just because that is what you are given is going to present challenges in terms of retaining existing fans, both on TV and at Wembley/Twickenham.
Old 19.10.2016, 06:02 PM
Team Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by boknows34 View Post
Perhaps if they dumped the studio and just showed the full games the ratings would improve.
Would certainly drag me back from Red Zone if this happened.
Old 19.10.2016, 07:40 PM
Pro

Quote:

Can the enhanced viewing figures for the Red Zone coverage partly be attributed to the fact it's on Sky Sports Mix, so even those without a Sky Sports subscription can watch?

It will obviously appeal to anyone who has Gamepass to watch their own team's games and/or refuses to pay for Sky Sports, or just casual fans. Sky's dumbing down of their coverage for new/casual fans has probably done more damage than anything else.

Surely, the model for Sky Sports is to experiment with their full game coverage on Mix to see if that bumps the numbers, and move Red Zone to one of their other channels, even if that annoys those who have been enjoying its FTA coverage so far this season.
Old 22.10.2016, 09:04 PM
MVP

name checked and linked from profootballtalk.someone's hit the big time.keep up the good work.
Old 24.10.2016, 12:10 PM
All Pro

Yesterday's game on BBC2 averaged 430,000. That's an increase over 381,000 for last year's second game. However last year's game was also on Sky Sports and Yahoo.
Yesterday's game also had a peak of 650,000 which is good considering the game was a bit of a turn off!
Old 25.10.2016, 03:07 AM
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonno View Post
Yesterday's game on BBC2 averaged 430,000. That's an increase over 381,000 for last year's second game. However last year's game was also on Sky Sports and Yahoo.
Yesterday's game also had a peak of 650,000 which is good considering the game was a bit of a turn off!
Pretty good considering that half of the game coincided with Chelsea v Man United too.
Old 25.10.2016, 11:13 AM
Starter

Shows you how much of a casual audience nfl would get if we had even a single game every sunday at 6pm on free to air TV.

And casual audiences turn into fans.

I don't know whether Sky sports pulling in 40k viewers will do anything to grow the sport.
Old 25.10.2016, 06:15 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by db316 View Post
Shows you how much of a casual audience nfl would get if we had even a single game every sunday at 6pm on free to air TV.

And casual audiences turn into fans.

I don't know whether Sky sports pulling in 40k viewers will do anything to grow the sport.
Maybe. The thing is though that someone needs to take a punt on it and be confident that it will bring in more viewers (and advertising revenue if not on BBC) for the price it costs than whatever else they would show instead.

It's tough to know for sure because of the different ways that TV is structured in the 2 countries, but the evidence suggests that Brits are not as big watchers of sports on TV as Americans are. Here you can see the top 10 most watched TV shows in the USA in 2015. 8 of the top 10 are football - either NFL or college. No1, the Super Bowl, beats everything else by miles. Contrast this to the UK, where in 2015 not one sports show makes the top 50, let alone the top 10. Bake Off dominates. In 2014 sport is at the top but it's the world cup (4 of top 5 but no more in top 20) and it doesn't dominate like the Super Bowl does in the USA. This suggests that club sports don't register here in the same way as in the US, even those that are on free to air TV like the FA Cup or Champions League final or Wimbledon. I don't know why that is. Anecdotally I would say that in the USA far more women appear to be into watching sports than is the case here, and women of course make up probably more than half of TV audiences. Certainly if you look at the British top 50 this year (Bake Off, Strictly, Downton Abbey, Call the Midwife, Eastenders), it's not to say that there aren't plenty of guys that watch them, but they are pretty much all shows you would suspect are more popular among women than men. If that's my line of thinking and I'm a TV exec on a mainstream channel looking at what I'm going to offer on Sunday evenings, NFL is probably a non-starter I would think.

Last edited by European Bob; 25.10.2016 at 06:20 PM.
Old 26.10.2016, 08:12 AM
Hall of Fame

The question with games on terrestrial TV, are the 500,000 people likely to watch every week, with more joining them, or are they just watching because its a one-off on BBC as a novelty?