Sunday 23 October 2016

VS  

Sunday 30 October 2016

VS  

Go Back   NFL UK Forums > National Football League > NFL TV coverage

Sponsored Links

Old 26.10.2016, 09:04 AM
All Pro

Interesting that Sky's EPL viewing figures have suffered a big drop this season too so it could all be part of a wider trend with viewers either losing interest in sports where the participants are paid outrageously large sums or finding alternative ways to follow the action.

It'd be useful to know how many Gamepass subscribers there are in the UK. Also with social media now there seems to be a growing trend towards following sporting events on your phone while out doing something else.

You also have to wonder with a terrestrial FTA audience how many viewers are actively engaged with the content as opposed to the tv being on as background noise.
Sponsored Links
Old 26.10.2016, 12:26 PM
Pro Bowler

If Sky want to cut costs and ditch the studio why not take the BT Sport approach and just host the US broadcast? This works very well with the MLB and College football coverage in my opinion; I'd much rather watch the American studio commentary team than Shaun Gayle and Neil Reynolds.

Airing Red Zone on sky sports mix is also a great idea. Free to view, people will pick up and watch it casually, and see the "interesting" bits across every team. It has the potential to turn more fans onto the game. This year I have recommended red zone to a few colleagues who "didn't get" the rules and now they have been watching they understand more and watched the BBC coverage of the last 2 London games.
Old 31.10.2016, 10:39 AM
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big C View Post
If Sky want to cut costs and ditch the studio why not take the BT Sport approach and just host the US broadcast? This works very well with the MLB and College football coverage in my opinion; I'd much rather watch the American studio commentary team than Shaun Gayle and Neil Reynolds.

Airing Red Zone on sky sports mix is also a great idea. Free to view, people will pick up and watch it casually, and see the "interesting" bits across every team. It has the potential to turn more fans onto the game. This year I have recommended red zone to a few colleagues who "didn't get" the rules and now they have been watching they understand more and watched the BBC coverage of the last 2 London games.
Sky Sports Mix is NOT free to view as you need a minimum of a Sky Entertainment subscription on satellite, whilst it needs at least a mid level Virgin subscription not their cheapest one. On satellite it is encrypted to lapsed Sky subscribers like me even if you still have a former viewing card in your Sky box.

Also with Now TV it is only included with the sports pack and not included with the entertainment pack.
Old 31.10.2016, 02:53 PM
All Pro

Week 7 on Sky Sports Mix drew 26,000 for Red Zone.

Neither live games featured in Sky Sports 2's top ten shows so both got at least less 45,000. As seems to recently happen, fans attending the International Series seems to directly affect the numbers tuning into Sky (although all it probably really means that a bunch of people who have Barb panels in their home probably also have International Series season tickets!)
Old 31.10.2016, 03:22 PM
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillyTrencher View Post
Interesting that Sky's EPL viewing figures have suffered a big drop this season too so it could all be part of a wider trend with viewers either losing interest in sports where the participants are paid outrageously large sums or finding alternative ways to follow the action.

It'd be useful to know how many Gamepass subscribers there are in the UK. Also with social media now there seems to be a growing trend towards following sporting events on your phone while out doing something else.

You also have to wonder with a terrestrial FTA audience how many viewers are actively engaged with the content as opposed to the tv being on as background noise.
I imagine there are quite a few people who watch via "other means" the trend is growing for Premier League games and they are fairly easy to find, although the streams are pretty dire quality I believe
Old 31.10.2016, 05:44 PM
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelts_Cowboys View Post
I imagine there are quite a few people who watch via "other means" the trend is growing for Premier League games and they are fairly easy to find, although the streams are pretty dire quality I believe
Yeah the quality of streams are quite hit or miss and always seem to freeze just as something exciting is about to happen!

I have a Sky sports & BT sports subscription and just use streams for things which aren't televised in the UK like 3pm Saturday football games. I understand why there are used, but I don't think I would ever ditch paying for the high quality and reliability of the proper channels.
Old 07.11.2016, 02:40 PM
All Pro

39,000 watched Redskins v Bengals last Sunday afternoon on BBC Red Button. Another 45,000 watched on Sky Sports 3. So that's almost the same number of people inside Wembley watching on TV however no data for Sky Sports Mix was provided for last week on Barb unfortunately, this will likely have tipped it over 84,000, probably over 100,000.

The other games on Sky Sports 3 - Bills v Pats, Packers v Falcons - both got 31,000. Again poor numbers but expected on a Wembley sunday.

Also, I wrote something about NFL TV coverage and ratings over the last few years here... http://www.nflgirluk.com/2016/11/06/...erage-ratings/
Old 14.11.2016, 01:38 PM
Rookie

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big C View Post
YES!

One of the things I love about the US broadcasts is that the commentators are at the stadium, which really adds to the atmosphere of the game broadcast. For me it really kills the feel of the game when we cut back to the Sky studio, especially as more often than not it's Shaun and Neil pointing out the patently obvious.
Old 14.11.2016, 05:21 PM
All Pro

Week 9 figures from BARB.

The live late Sunday afternoon game on Sky Sports continues to fall off a cliff, less than 15,000 tuned in to watch Titans v Chargers.
54,000 for the earlier Eagles v Giants.

However 43,000 for Redzone on Sky Sports Mix across 7 hours is good again. No wonder they extended it until the end of the season.
Old 14.11.2016, 06:19 PM
Pro Bowler

I'd say Pitt/Dallas last evening should draw the numbers back. And Pats/Seattle too. By comparison, Tennessee/Chargers doesn't quite hit the spot right now. And just when you start to think the Chargers might be worth watching again, they fail to ko Miami on their home patch. Remarkable that Rivers passes out Elway on the all-time top TD throwers, and then throws FOUR 4th qtr picks in the immediate aftermath to cough up the W chargers style.