VS  

Sunday 30 October 2016

VS  

Go Back   NFL UK Forums > National Football League > NFL TV coverage

Sponsored Links

Old 02.02.2017, 05:13 PM
Rookie

Default My last Sky season

Since Sky started showing Redzone in HD every week I didn't see much of the studio team this season and recording the overnight games without the studio team in between the breaks was a blessing. I suffered enough of them during the woeful playoffs where we got 1 really exciting game. I think Sky is ready to offload the NFL when it comes to the end of its contract. So the only way to go is Gamepass. Being a Bears fan it makes sense and with no real commitment in new programming from Sky. Goodbye Sky Sports enjoy your endless coverage of soccer and it's endless competitions.
Sponsored Links
Old 02.02.2017, 05:29 PM
Pro

I must admit, Redzone is fantastic. So nice at times during the regular season to stick with RZ and not have the endless commercial breaks with that annoying Draft Kings Ad.
I don't get the impression that Sky will dump the NFL when the contract is up, but then who knows....
There is always Gamepass but I have heard people say it has problems some weeks with buffering/freezing, and I'd rather watch the NFL on TV not on a computer/tablet screen.
Old 02.02.2017, 08:22 PM
Rookie

I think you can watch game pass on tv via the nfl ap on an amazing fire stick
Old 02.02.2017, 10:20 PM
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by totti View Post
Since Sky started showing Redzone in HD every week I didn't see much of the studio team this season and recording the overnight games without the studio team in between the breaks was a blessing. I suffered enough of them during the woeful playoffs where we got 1 really exciting game. I think Sky is ready to offload the NFL when it comes to the end of its contract. So the only way to go is Gamepass. Being a Bears fan it makes sense and with no real commitment in new programming from Sky. Goodbye Sky Sports enjoy your endless coverage of soccer and it's endless competitions.
Bye bye then.
Old 02.02.2017, 11:49 PM
Pro

Quote:
I think Sky is ready to offload the NFL when it comes to the end of its contract.
I doubt that will happen.

Sky are probably paying peanuts for their NFL coverage. It's a cheap way of filling a massive gap in their schedules.

I doubt the NFL will want their product to be seen by a smaller audience on BT (especially after seeing how UEFA aren't happy with their current Champions League partnership with BT).

And finally no terrestrial broadcaster is going to be interested in showing anything other than the International Series games the Superbowl and maybe SNF or MNF.
Old 03.02.2017, 12:02 AM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean42 View Post
I must admit, Redzone is fantastic. So nice at times during the regular season to stick with RZ and not have the endless commercial breaks with that annoying Draft Kings Ad.
I don't get the impression that Sky will dump the NFL when the contract is up, but then who knows....
There is always Gamepass but I have heard people say it has problems some weeks with buffering/freezing, and I'd rather watch the NFL on TV not on a computer/tablet screen.
If your internet is good enough Gamepass is better quality than the TV. And you can tell, because it's on your TV. Use Chromecast to put it on the big screen, or an HDMI if you're old fashioned. I've had one ropey game in terms of choppiness in the last 3 years - Jets @ Steelers this year.

Redzone is killing the sport... turning it into nothing but highlight reels of touchdowns, interceptions and 80 yard catch plays. No context, no idea what's really going on. It's the Chinese tourism of sport - at the end of the day you've seen everything but you've also really seen nothing. Football for the age of short attention spans and droning on about your fantasy football team to anyone who will listen. Give me a whole game any day.

Last edited by European Bob; 03.02.2017 at 12:59 AM.
Old 03.02.2017, 12:02 AM
GOAT

Quote:

weird comment given your username

i think Sky seem quite committed, NFL live on 2 channels for the whole of Sunday night.

also game quality isnt down to sky.

GP always makes the most sense for fans of teams that dont get covered that much and only want to watch the NFL.
although if the Bears do half decent, i would expect them to get picked more often.
Old 03.02.2017, 12:08 AM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM_Punk View Post
I doubt that will happen.

Sky are probably paying peanuts for their NFL coverage. It's a cheap way of filling a massive gap in their schedules.

I doubt the NFL will want their product to be seen by a smaller audience on BT (especially after seeing how UEFA aren't happy with their current Champions League partnership with BT).

And finally no terrestrial broadcaster is going to be interested in showing anything other than the International Series games the Superbowl and maybe SNF or MNF.
Agree, NFL will stick with Sky probably - they need a home for it somewhere and Sky seem willing. Terrestrial mainstream channels will not be willing. BT has a smaller audience - you wouldn't choose it over Sky.

I have German TV at home among others and they get Sky-style NFL coverage (games on Sunday cutting back to a TV studio) on a free TV. It's one of the spin-off channels of the mainstream channels. Like the equivalent to ITV 4 or More 4 or something. I don't know if that would be preferable to Sky in terms of reaching more viewers. Maybe. The NFL in the US got so popular by being on accessible channels rather than expensive subscription channels. Not possible to be live on mainstream channels here but maybe less popular free access channels could find room for it.
Old 03.02.2017, 12:15 AM
Pro Bowler

I agree with the posts above - cannot see Sky ditching the NFL, like Scottish football, it is something that fills their schedules. They have a 'roster' of sports, NFL, a lot of the big golf tournaments, and erm, Scottish football.

I also agree about Redzone being NFL bite-size-lite... don't like it, nothing beats a real full game. If a team is down in the red zone, I want to know how they got there, there's no context to any of it.
Old 03.02.2017, 12:28 AM
GOAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by pozbaird View Post
I agree with the posts above - cannot see Sky ditching the NFL, like Scottish football, it is something that fills their schedules. They have a 'roster' of sports, NFL, a lot of the big golf tournaments, and erm, Scottish football.

I also agree about Redzone being NFL bite-size-lite... don't like it, nothing beats a real full game. If a team is down in the red zone, I want to know how they got there, there's no context to any of it.

in RZ you often see drives and the key plays before they got into the RZ.

i like the full games and RZ and given the windows for games you can watch plenty of both, when the live Sky game doesnt appeal.