Get The Latest News On

NFL Network
Take a knee
Old
  (#1)
GREENBAYPACKER
All Pro

Default Take a knee - 20.09.2004, 04:29 PM

I remember the 2002 season when Terry Glenn was playing for the Pack. I cant remember who we were playing but Terry had the ball and he saw a defender ready to tackle him, so he took a knee right where he stood..........Is this legal because i never found out the outcome and i was confused for a few days...any help would be appreciated

cheers

Re:Take a knee
Old
  (#2)
danh
Starter

Default Re:Take a knee - 20.09.2004, 04:50 PM

Taking a knee is usually done in the endzone when fielding a kick-off. It indicates that the kick won't be returned, so a touchback ensues.

It's still a legal play to take a knee and has been used mostly in the past by DBs making interceptions. They take a knee to allow the offense to come and take over. (Edit - How could I forget a QB running out the clock?! Take a knee, play over, despite no contact from the defense.) Although 'down by contact' is still the majority ruling, taking a knee is acceptable. It's a bit like a QB sliding feet first when scrambling, technically it's taking a knee. I remember Doug Williams 'fumbling' in SB XXII (?) when he hyper-extended his left knee. Rulon Jones picked up the ball, but the officials said that as Williams had 'voluntarily' gone to ground, the play was over, hence when the ball 'came out' the play was already dead.

The danger with 'taking a knee' in outfield play is that if the tackler is unsure what you're doing, you'll get levelled from a very unprotected position. I'm sure an unnecessary roughness penalty would ensue, but as per the 'downed' thread, a severe concussion isn't cured by a fifteen yard penalty :-\

Old
  (#3)
GREENBAYPACKER
All Pro

Default Re:Take a knee - 20.09.2004, 05:01 PM

kool, cheers mate

Old
  (#4)
MattThunder
All Pro

Default Re:Take a knee - 20.09.2004, 05:04 PM

There was an interesting take-a-knee play on one football show yesterday - I think it was a College Gameday recap on NASN.

The QB at the end of the game took a knee, but tried to run out the clock as he hovered with his knee a couple of inches off the ground. The DE cleaned him out and got a Personal Foul against him for doing it.

AFAIC, the QB was live when he was hit, so was fair game.

Bet the QB won't try that again...

Old
  (#5)
Crackity-Jones
All Pro

Default Re:Take a knee - 20.09.2004, 05:11 PM

I recall a game last year where a WR caught the ball in the middle of the field with literaly seconds remaining. Rather than hitting the floor/taking a knee after the catch (no defenders near by, too far from the sideline), he carried on running up the field. Why take a knee you ask? It would have given the O chance to get upfield and spike the ball (stop the clock). As it is, by carrying on up the field the play clock ran out and his team lost the game.

(Anyone remember which game this was? Doing my head in now I've thought about it. Think it was the Bengals or someone like that).

Old
  (#6)
MattThunder
All Pro

Default Re:Take a knee - 20.09.2004, 05:21 PM

I do remember that, and I have a feeling KC were involved...

Old
  (#7)
uk-cowboy
All Pro

Default Re:Take a knee - 20.09.2004, 10:45 PM

I think that game was the Rams-49ers. I think had he taken a knee the 49ers could have called a timeout and kick a fg to send the game to OT

Old
  (#8)
Hail Mary
All Pro

Default Re:Take a knee - 21.09.2004, 06:10 PM

It gets used a lot in Madden (as in the games) when you or the computer wants to run down the clock. You lose a few yards but don't stop the clock.