NFL Network
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > National Football League > NFL in the UK

How to spot a fake NFL authentic jersey
Old
  (#1)
billsfan
Pro Bowler

Default How to spot a fake NFL authentic jersey - 06.12.2007, 11:52 PM

There have been lots of posts on the retailers in the UK thread so here's my article from my website http://nfljerseyfanparadise.forumotion.com/index.htm
hope it helps.

Edit 24/01/09: See my video guide on YouTube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAgxTbQZkqE

Unless you buy from NFLshop.com or the teams proshop,we think of good old eBay and hey everyone likes a bargain don't they?, you are going to come into contact with the bootleg jersey. Some are obvious and others are so good that even Reebok admit that they can't tell the difference. eBay is a wonderful place for a bargain and so it attracts counterfeiters.

That being said I believe that most of the UK based sellers are not sure of what they are selling. Reebok does not import the Authentic jerseys and so we don't see them in the stores and therefore have no idea what to look for and up until a few months ago I was one of those unknowing fans. In a few short months I have undergone a master-class of jersey collecting and spotting from our American cousins.

I have been caught out by people I trusted and have fake jerseys in my wardrobe which I bought as genuine. I don't want to debate the rights and wrongs of counterfeiting products. We all know it's against the law.

So, firstly then.

Price

Most Authentic jerseys in retail stores cost $200 to $250 on average. That's £100 to £125 in our money. So can you sell a genuine jersey for £19.50, like some sellers on eBay. Yes if you are clinically insane or so rich that you do it for the love of the sport. The real reason..... fake jersey made somewhere in the far east and bought for £10. Remember if it looks too good then it's got to be just that.

Photo's

How many close up pictures are there in the listing. An honest seller, even if he/she is not aware that the jersey is a fake, will supply as many pictures of the jersey as the customer wants, hey they are after your money, no? Beware of sellers who only have one far away shot of the jersey and won't email you any more.

Numbers

An authentic range jersey will have one to three layers of tackle twill numbers zig zag stitched onto it. Never one layer tackle twill and then embroidered with the other colours.

These should be almost stiff and almost cardboard like and flat. There could be some bubbling to single numbers, like the Giants or Steelers but mostly it should be flat.

Construction

A few of the worst fakes are the replica bodies with numbers sewn on, these are easy to spot as the back is longer than the front, known in the trade as the droptail. These also have dazzle material side panels
Others have inferior quality materials and stitching, which is why the seller won't send you a close up picture. Now Reebok also use factories in the far east and South America and their stitching can also leave a bit to be desired. I know for example that the Bears jerseys nearly always have the wrong font on the shoulders. That's Reebok for you.
Authentic jerseys have spandex sidepanels, just like the game jerseys made by Ripon in Berlin, USA ( the Reebok logo is stitched on afterwards on a gamer by Ripon). Fakers know this and put it in so it's only a guide.

Patches
Many fake Reebok jerseys on eBay have patches attached, etc anniversary or captains patches. These patches are not put onto genuine jerseys by Reebok. Some are available to buy on their own and added to the jersey. Mitchel and Ness jerseys do come with patches. The rule of thumb here is be very wary of patched jerseys, unless the seller is trusted or states that the patch has been added after purchase.

Country of origin, tags

Most genuine jerseys are made in El Salvador or Korea, some have been made in China also. Fakers are putting on tags with the correct country of origin so you can't rely on this.

Tag Hologram

The hologram on the tag can also give it away as a fake. There are a couple of holograms out there.
1st - the helmet hologram - helmets surrounding the NFL shield. Genuine holograms show different coloured helmets. Fake same colour.
2nd - footballs hologram - There are 2 kinds in 2006 it went to LEATHER color footballs. Then in 2007 the footballs are different colors and it has the AFC and NFC logos in the background. Some sellers like to show the hologram on the fakes. If you see one with a helmet perimeter on a 06-07 jersey...you know it's a wrong un.

Updated 24/06/08

Genuine tag (right) alongside fake tag (left). Notice the hologram on the fake is from 2005 and the genuine tag has the 2007/8 tag with coloured footballs and it's brighter and more dynamic.

(click to enlarge)

Membership to the forum is free, so register and we can build a community in the UK and put pressure on the bootleggers to remove the rubbish from the hobby. Feel free to check out the legit/questionable sellers lists.

http://nfljerseyfanparadise.forumotion.com/index.htm

Several images from this excellent guide http://www.thumper300zx.com/jersey/fake_vs_real.htm

Last edited by billsfan; 08.11.2011 at 07:39 PM..

Re:How to spot a fake Reebok authentic jersey
Old
  (#2)
whambamsam
Team Captain

Default Re:How to spot a fake Reebok authentic jersey - 07.12.2007, 12:28 AM

Top Class, thanks for passing on your wisdom billsfan

Old
  (#3)
Robo Ramone
Starter

Default Re:How to spot a fake Reebok authentic jersey - 07.12.2007, 09:57 AM

So I Take It The Giants Jersey I Bought At Wembley Was Real?

As I Only Paid £40/£60 Pound.

Pretty Sure It Was From An Offical Stand.

Old
  (#4)
JonEve
All Pro

Default Re:How to spot a fake Reebok authentic jersey - 07.12.2007, 10:07 AM

An interesting article, that.

I'd be interested to know whether or not my Hasselbeck Superbowl XL Commemortative Jersey is real of fake. Not that it bothers me too much as a.)If it IS fake, it's really, REALLY well done...It feels quality, the numbers are stiff, it's got all the correct labels etc...and it's got the Superbowl Logo on it. and b.) it only cost me £40 with a free hat.

but it would still be interesting to know.

Robo: Are the numbers Screen Printed on your Giants Jersey? If so, then yes, it will probably be the real deal. The "EQT" and Authentic Jerseys are the ones made out of heavier materials and have the numbers/names all sewn on and cost an arm and a leg from the official stores. £40-£60 for a screen printed replica is the RRP.

I'm not 100% convinced that unless you buy from the NFL shop or a team's shop then you're going to have yourself a bootleg...Of course there are going to be authentic Jerseys on eBay...They're just harder to spot.

Old
  (#5)
Robo Ramone
Starter

Default Re:How to spot a fake Reebok authentic jersey - 07.12.2007, 10:31 AM

Im In School Just Now, So Ill Check When I Get Home And Reply.

Old
  (#6)
JonEve
All Pro

Default Re:How to spot a fake Reebok authentic jersey - 07.12.2007, 10:47 AM

[quote author=Robo Ramone link=board=4;threadid=30755;start=0#msg801089 date=1197023514]
[/quote]

You shouldn't be checking forums then! get back to work!

(Posted from work ;D)

Old
  (#7)
billsfan
Pro Bowler

Default Re:How to spot a fake Reebok authentic jersey - 07.12.2007, 07:13 PM

Fella's I am a real sado when it comes to jersey spotting, so if you want to post some pictures then I'll have a look for you.

There are some real jerseys on eBay, but as Jon say's they are few and far between and harder to spot. In my experience there are only about 4-5 based in the UK at the moment.

It also depends on how you personally feel about bootleg jerseys.

I the seller sells it as a genuine authentic, as most do, then you are being decieved, even if you get it cheaper. If they sold it without making these claims then you get a jersey you can wear for a price that you are comfortable with and you know it's not the real deal. It's like being down the local market and paying a tenner for that 'Nike' jacket that fell to bits 3 weeks later. That's what eBay is the biggest market in the world.

I got mugged off loads of times. There are some great fakes out there, got a couple in my wardrobe. I rarely get it wrong now, no boasting there. If you've got the time then you can find some really good stuff on eBay. I just bought a Jim Kelly team issued jersey and got it for £45! Can't get anymore genuine than issued by the team or game worn.

Cheers fella's and happy hunting

Old
  (#8)
Red Arrow 1075
All Pro

Default Re:How to spot a fake Reebok authentic jersey - 07.12.2007, 07:53 PM

[quote author=Robo Ramone link=board=4;threadid=30755;start=0#msg801075 date=1197021474]
So I Take It The Giants Jersey I Bought At Wembley Was Real?

As I Only Paid £40/£60 Pound.

Pretty Sure It Was From An Offical Stand.
[/quote]
yes! Everything at wembley was real. Anything you find in the shops will be genuine (I hope). But £40 is the normal price for a replica jersey, it's the authentics you need to be suspicious of at that price.

Old
  (#9)
madden550
Starter

Default Re:How to spot a fake Reebok authentic jersey - 11.12.2007, 03:17 PM

[quote author=Robo Ramone link=board=4;threadid=30755;start=0#msg801089 date=1197023514]
[/quote]

ditto

im wearing my marshawn lynch jersey now and well i dont think its fake
but im not so sure about my peyton manning one cost me £40 off ebay but looks real? ill take picutres of it and post it on here please ? so i can get help thanks
and great thread btw billsfan

oh and what do you mean by "These also have dazzle material side panels"
  Send a message via Yahoo to madden550 Send a message via MSN to madden550  
Old
  (#10)
biglil
Starter

Default Re:How to spot a fake Reebok authentic jersey - 11.12.2007, 05:04 PM

dazzle material is the shiny material that doesn't really stretch

You have to remember he is only discussing shirts with stictched on numbers, not those that are screen printed (the cheaper replica ones)