Go Back   NFL UK Forums > National Football League > New to the NFL?

A Question on Rules
Old
  (#1)
robo3020
Pro Bowler

Default A Question on Rules - 14.12.2009, 08:39 PM

When a player fumbles the ball but and it rolls out of bounds before being recovered by another player, the team who fumbled the ball keep it and the ball is spotted at the point it went out. Is there anything in the rules to prevent a player deliberately fumbling the ball forward out of bounds to gain an extra yard or so?

I understand that the risk would not ever really be worth it but I was curious and guessed that someone on here would have the answer.

Old
  (#2)
John Breitenbach
MVP

Default 14.12.2009, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robo3020 View Post
When a player fumbles the ball but and it rolls out of bounds before being recovered by another player, the team who fumbled the ball keep it and the ball is spotted at the point it went out. Is there anything in the rules to prevent a player deliberately fumbling the ball forward out of bounds to gain an extra yard or so?

I understand that the risk would not ever really be worth it but I was curious and guessed that someone on here would have the answer.
Yes. An "illegal forward pass" can be called which I believe is a 5 yard penalty from the spot of the foul.

Also within the last 2 minutes of a half a fumble cannot be advanced by the team that fumbles, the ball is placed at the spot of the fumble.

I was wondering what happened to time run-offs inside the 2 minute warning. I was under the impression 10 seconds was run off if there was a false start but this happened in the Eagles game and no such thing occcurred.

Old
  (#3)
markyb2301
All Pro

Default 14.12.2009, 09:49 PM

Im sure others will confirm or correct me.

If a player fumbles and and the ball goes forward from where he fumbles, then the ball is spotted where he fumbled it.
If a player fumbles and the ball goes backwards then spotted where the ball went out of bounds.

Old
  (#4)
Spartan Off.Tackle
Pro Bowler

Default 15.12.2009, 09:09 PM

It's not an illegal forward pass,rather two penalties under NFL rules apply which both carry a 10 yard penalty :-

Deliberately batting or punching a loose ball

or

Deliberately kicking a loose ball

This covers a deliberate act, if the ball is 'muffed' meaning touched in an unsuccessful legitimate attempt to gain possession the above penalties do not apply.

Marky you are correct, if the ball is fumbled forwards and goes out of bounds it is spotted at the point of the fumble.

Old
  (#5)
John Breitenbach
MVP

Default 15.12.2009, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan Off.Tackle View Post
It's not an illegal forward pass,rather two penalties under NFL rules apply which both carry a 10 yard penalty :-

Deliberately batting or punching a loose ball

or

Deliberately kicking a loose ball

This covers a deliberate act, if the ball is 'muffed' meaning touched in an unsuccessful legitimate attempt to gain possession the above penalties do not apply.

Marky you are correct, if the ball is fumbled forwards and goes out of bounds it is spotted at the point of the fumble.
I disagree. Its neither of the above if the player neither punches nor kicks the ball.

Old
  (#6)
Spartan Off.Tackle
Pro Bowler

Default 15.12.2009, 10:42 PM

John

The answer I gave was for a loose football

The NFL rulebook states :-

Illegal Bat

A player may not bat or punch :

a) A loose ball in the field of play towards an opponents goal line
b) A loose ball in any direction if in the end zone
c) A backward pass in flight may not be batted forward by an offensive player

Exception : A forward pass in flight may be tipped,batted or deflected in any direction by any eligible player at any time

Penalty : For Illegally batting or punching the ball, 10 yards

I wont bore you with the details of the illegal kicking wording

However, after re reading the original question we are talking about a ballcarrier deliberately fumbling the ball forward he is in possession of (my mistake !)

You are correct in stating 'Illegal forward Pass' which as you mention is 5 yards, it also carries a loss of down penalty.

Old
  (#7)
John Breitenbach
MVP

Default 15.12.2009, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan Off.Tackle View Post
John

The answer I gave was for a loose football

The NFL rulebook states :-

Illegal Bat

A player may not bat or punch :

a) A loose ball in the field of play towards an opponents goal line
b) A loose ball in any direction if in the end zone
c) A backward pass in flight may not be batted forward by an offensive player

Exception : A forward pass in flight may be tipped,batted or deflected in any direction by any eligible player at any time

Penalty : For Illegally batting or punching the ball, 10 yards

I wont bore you with the details of the illegal kicking wording

However, after re reading the original question we are talking about a ballcarrier deliberately fumbling the ball forward he is in possession of (my mistake !)

You are correct in stating 'Illegal forward Pass' which as you mention is 5 yards, it also carries a loss of down penalty.
Ah didn't know that. Good info.

Old
  (#8)
martin_golds
Team Captain

Default 15.12.2009, 10:52 PM

Always wondered why no players ever kicked a loose ball forward and gave chase.