Get The Latest News On

NFL Network
BAFCA Coaching Level 1
Old
  (#1)
d-ghagan
Starter

Default BAFCA Coaching Level 1 - 21.10.2010, 07:56 PM

Having been a fan of the NFL for quite a while now I'm looking at ways to get more involved in the sport. I've applied to take the BAFCA Coaching level 1 in Bristol next Saturday, but I'm a little worried that never having played the sport will hinder my chances of passing?

I am particularly concerned about the practical aspect of the course, could anyone here tell me what the practical element of the level one consists of?

Any help is much appreciated

Old
  (#2)
simon58glads
Pro

Default 21.10.2010, 10:27 PM

Dont worry. You will be in safe hands with any of the BAFCA guys and being in Bristol I would presume Jon Wyse will be one of them and he is a great guy and a remarkable teacher. Its very Health and Safety orientated but will have you demonstrate a drill in the afternoon. Speak to the course leader and expalin and you ill additional tuition for sure.

Good luck and you will looking forward to Level 2 in no time.

Old
  (#3)
mrgo
Team Captain

Default 22.10.2010, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-ghagan View Post
Having been a fan of the NFL for quite a while now I'm looking at ways to get more involved in the sport. I've applied to take the BAFCA Coaching level 1 in Bristol next Saturday, but I'm a little worried that never having played the sport will hinder my chances of passing?

I am particularly concerned about the practical aspect of the course, could anyone here tell me what the practical element of the level one consists of?

I did the course last year, Jon Wyse wasnt there and im not informed whether he is posted to be there this year, but Ben Herod (HC of the Bristol Pride American Football Academy), Simon Hatcher and name of the other tutor escapes me, they were excellent teachers.
Like you i was looking to further my depth of knowledge and involvement in the game. The course was an excellent foundational intro about fundamental health and safety requirements which i really came to realise to be an absoloute pre-requisite to anyone putting themsleves into a mentoring role at any level.

The practical aspect of the course is REALLY walked through. There isnt any attempt to trip you up here but ENSURE everyone's competency to conduct a drill in tackling or blocking, ensuring clear communication and a process of demonstration and correction.

There was a real mix in the paticipants from Uni players, current coaches and staff through to Fans who havent played the game. I really do encourage you and any other fans with the opportunity to attend to do so. You will come out the other end a much better informed and placed individual to get involved in the game.

Old
  (#4)
mde203
MVP

Default 22.10.2010, 12:18 PM

Quote:

I'm the same, I'll be there, and I've never played in my life. The practical bit is a little confusing as they haven't given any indication of what it is, but it will be fine, just be clear and be loud. Throw yourself into it and you'll be fine.

I'll see you there

Old
  (#5)
satchmo
Starter

Default 23.10.2010, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mde203 View Post
I'm the same, I'll be there, and I've never played in my life. The practical bit is a little confusing as they haven't given any indication of what it is, but it will be fine, just be clear and be loud. Throw yourself into it and you'll be fine.

I'll see you there
I attended the clininc in Edinburgh today, excellent course, practical element was my main concern never having been a player. The focus is on basic safe technique and as mrgo said, is basically a walk through, covering elementary tackling and blocking and the approach to ensure players all understand what they're being shown. I'd recommend this to anyone wanting to become more involved in the game whether you've played before or not.

Old
  (#6)
mde203
MVP

Default 29.10.2010, 11:35 AM

Any idea of what room/building we need to head to tomorrow? I haven't heard anything...

Old
  (#7)
IrishLion09
All Pro

Default 29.10.2010, 11:57 AM

Great Course material,

We covered the Course Material here in Dublin,We had the GB Lions Defensive Backs Coach Phillips,The Head Coach of the Spanish National team Coach also gave us his time.
Ted Seay came over from the States to do the level 2 Course,but took time out to give us a lecture on a Offensive system he was working on.

BAFCA the IAFL are two great Coaching orgnizations.

If anybody is thinking about getting to Coaching or getting a better understanding of what goes on behind the Closed doors of Football in American then I highly recommend taken a Course.

www.americanfootball.ie

www.bafca.com

Last edited by IrishLion09; 29.10.2010 at 12:03 PM..
  Send a message via Skype™ to IrishLion09 
Old
  (#8)
IrishLion09
All Pro

Default 29.10.2010, 12:01 PM

Quote:

d-ghagan,

You have nothing to fear as the Lectures are student friendly and Q&A are a part of the course.Enjoy your time and I hope to hear how you got on.

Regards
  Send a message via Skype™ to IrishLion09 
Old
  (#9)
Magnitude
Hall of Fame

Default 29.10.2010, 01:01 PM

Will there be additional courses in spring? Especially in the north...? I'd be very keen to do this, but being out of work at the moment, money is tight.

Old
  (#10)
martin3026
All Pro

Default 29.10.2010, 03:02 PM

The British American Football Coaches Association (BAFCA) have a stand at the GBTP tailgate party, as do The referees association (BAFRA)

www.gbtp.co.uk
facebook http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref...y/256300652309
  Send a message via Skype™ to martin3026