John Breitenbach
MVP

Default 2011 NFL pre-combine community mock pick thread - 06.02.2011, 12:41 PM

. 1 round
. no trades
. starts on Tuesday at 10 am
. teams are on the clock for 6 hours
. window closes at 10 pm everyday

Any objections post them in the other thread.

1. Carolina (2-14) - Smith 89 - Nick Fairley, DT, Auburn
2. Denver (4-12) - VABrit - DaQuan Bowers, DE, Clemson
3. Buffalo (4-12) - Goodfry - Patrick Peterson, CB, LSU
4. Cincinnati (4-12) - mde203 - Robert Quinn, DE, North Carolina
5. Arizona (5-11) - Northern Soul - AJ Green, WR, Georgia
6. Cleveland (5-11) - leebladedawg - Marcel Dareus, DE/DT, Alabama
7. San Francisco (6-10) - Secret Admirer - Prince Amukamara, CB, Nebraska
8. Tennessee (6-10) - The_Titan - Von Miller, LB, Texas AM
9. Dallas (6-10) - cheshiremulisha - Cameron Jordan, DE/DT, Cal
10. Washington (6-10) - HolyRoller 10 - JJ Watt, DE/OLB, Wisconsin
11. Houston (6-10) - 118 Man #9 - Aldon Smith, DE/OLB, Missouria
12. Minnesota (6-10) - Swain - Akeem Ayers, OLB, UCLA
13. Detroit (6-10) - Chris Caulfield - Mark Ingram, RB, Alabama
14. St. Louis (7-9) - Oselly - Julio Jones, WR, Alabama
15. Miami (7-9) - emeraldfin - Cameron Newton, QB, Auburn
16. Jacksonville (8-8) - IrishLion 09 - Ryan Kerrigan, DE, Purdue
17. New England - from Oakland (8-8) - Magnitude - Greg Romeus, DE/OLB, Pittsburgh
18. San Diego (9-7) - John Breitenbach - Nate Solder, OT, Colorado
19. New York Giants (10-6) - Rodgers2Driver - Mike Pouncey, C/OG, Florida
20. Tampa Bay (10-6) - TJack - Adrian Clayborn, DE, Iowa
21. Kansas City* (10-6) - Grazdf - Stefan Wisniewski, C/OG, Penn State
22. Indianapolis* (10-6) - Clint Session - Anthony Costanzo, OT, Boston College
23. Philadelphia* (10-6) - Shoelessboy - Gabe Carimi, OT, Wisconsin
24. New Orleans* (11-5) - comrade - Justin Houston, DE/OLB, Georgia
25. Seattle* (7-9) - Lord_Levy - Jimmy Smith, CB, Colorado
26. Baltimore* (12-4) - LeedsCowboy - Brandon Harris, CB, Miami
27. Atlanta* (13-3) - Stubbsy #21 - Kyle Rudolf, TE, Notre Dame
28. New England* (14-2) - Magnitude - Cameron Hayward, DE, Ohio State
29. Chicago* (11-5) - N.J.S - Tyron Smith, OT, USC
30. New York Jets* (11-5) - Taylor 091 - Jon Baldwin, WR, Pittsburgh
31. Pittsburgh* (12-4) - DTS737 - Corey Liuget, DE, Illinois
32. Green Bay* (10-6) - Coombser - Muhammad Wilkerson, DE/DT, Temple

Last edited by John Breitenbach; 14.02.2011 at 07:45 PM..

Old
  (#2)
Smith89
All Pro

Default 08.02.2011, 10:36 AM

With the 1st pick in the 2011 NFL draft the Carolina Panthers select :

Nick Fairley DT Auburn

What the Panthers really want is a franchise QB but there really doesn't seem like there's one in the draft worth the first pick. The fact that the FO only interviewed 4 defensive candidates for the HC position is clear indication of what type of team they want to be. Fairley has the potential to be the centerpiece of the D-line and should form a solid unit alongside Charles Johnson, Jon Beason, Thomas Davis, and James Anderson.

Also considered:

DaQuan Bowers DE Clemson
AJ Green WR Georgia
Patrick Peterson CB LSU
Cam Newton QB Auburn
Blaine Gabbert QB Mizzou

Old
  (#3)
VABrit
All Pro

Click here to choose your avatar

Default 08.02.2011, 02:02 PM

With the Second Pick The Denver Broncos select:

Da'Quan Bowers - DE - Clemson

Fairly easy choice to be honest. I'm not a fan of Peterson and would never draft him especially when there a CBs littered at first and second round talent. Same for DTs. Denver needs a good DT but there are enough to snatch a good one in the 2nd-3rd maybe even 4th round.

Bowers led the nation in sacks, was the Nagurksi award winner, Hendricks award winner and ACC defensive player of the year. He has terrific speed of the edge, long arms and often does not get fooled on play-actions, bootlegs etc.

He will fit in Denver well. We need a pash rusher and one who is intelligent at that. We have Dumervil (assuming he will be back to full strength) and Ayers of which I can see one or both not being the featured pass rusher. Bowers is good with his hand down in the dirt which is exactly what we need.

My one reservation is Clemson has a history of producing solid college D linemen who sometimes do not transition to have a prosperous pro career.

Old
  (#4)
Goodfry
MVP

Default 08.02.2011, 04:14 PM

Buffalo select with the 3rd pick Patrick Peterson

Looking at the trends, team needs and last season’s draft Buffalo are most likely going to pick a CB.

Buffalo needs a franchise QB but with nothing close to value and Fitzpatrick looking decent i think Buffalo save drafting a QB till later in the draft. Chan Gailey belief that he can turn average QBs into good QBs will encourage the front office to pass on the mediocre 2011 1st round QB clas.

Buffalo needs to improve their front 7. They drafted in 2010 with their 2nd and 3rd round pick a NT and DE to play alongside 2nd team all pro NT/DE Kyle Williams. They won't give up on those two becoming starters yet. Linebacker is an option. Shawn Merriman is said to be looking healthy and is on a big contract. Mega bust Aaron Maybin will likely be cut but the Bills still have enough young talent to avoid risking picking the talent at 3# which are a group which isn't close to being blue chippers.

The O-Line will likely not be touched in the first two rounds due to Buddy Nixs draft history and his liking for current left tackle Demetrius Bell. I believe a combination of 24 year 1000 yard WR Stevie Johnson, loyality to Lee Evans and talented youthful depth at WR will result in AJ Green being passed up.

The Chargers during Buddy Nixs tenure as assistant GM the Chargers drafted Quentin Jammer at 5th overall 2002, Drayton Florence 2nd round pick 2003, Antonio Cromartie with the 19th overall pick in 2006 and Antoine Cason with the 28th overall pick in 2008 apart from showing how useless the Chargers are at drafting CBs Nix is part of a draft which took Cbs high. The Bills have said they are looking for impact players they are not to value positional importance and take what they view as the best player available. This was proven last season when they drafted CJ Spiller. Both Buffalos 1# and 2# CB are often injured and McGee while productive is getting to the end of his career. The Bills lack young talented CBs so they add one. With Buddy Nix southern bias for picks this will make the pick that much easier.

Patrick Peterson is the marquee CB in the class. He brings swagger, unlimited potential and proven production. Great on field awareness, shut down potential, size to handle run stuffing and an all round top prospect. Not my preferred pick but the one i think Buffalo will make.

Last edited by Goodfry; 08.02.2011 at 04:27 PM..

Old
  (#5)
mde203
MVP

Default 08.02.2011, 04:32 PM

With the fourth pick in the 2011 NFL Draft, the Cincinnati Bengals Select...

Robert Quinn, Defensive End, North Carolina.

This pick was very difficult. With Fairley (my first choice) and Bowers (my second choice) off the board, there were a number of options to go for.

AJ Green was one such option, but the Bengals will not trade Chad Ochocinco this season, and we have Jerome Simpson and Andre Caldwell coming through to play the outside role and Shipley and Gresham over the middle, so there seems little point in drafting Green, although he would undoubtedly be a valuable addition in the long-term.

Marcel Darreus was another option, but he doesn't seem worth the fourth pick if he is going to be playing at defensive tackle. I don't see us picking a guy who is so much of an inbetweener with this pick, as it is a big risk. Also, picking a defensive tackle this high means they have to be super-elite, and Darreus is not that player.

Given the Bengals propensity for drafting defense in the first round- Leon Hall, Jonathan Joseph and Keith Rivers in 2006-2008, with Maualuga and Dunlap being second round picks with first round talent. After the Andre Smith pick, the Bengals will be wary of taking a similar risk with such a high pick.

OUr biggest needs are on the defensive line, mainly at defensive tackle, but defensive end is a position where we could do with a big upgrade. Quinn should be able to be that upgrade, and he will fit into a good rotation with Dunlap and Johnson straight away.

This pick isn't an ideal pick, as getting value at four considering who is gone is difficult. However, it addresses a need with a potentially elite player, so I'm relatively happy to make it.

Old
  (#6)
Northern Soul
MVP

Default 08.02.2011, 07:59 PM

Nightmare situation.
The guys the Cards can use have gone. Reach or Best Player available?
With the drafting of Levi Brown and passing on Adrian Peterson still fresh in the memory, the Cards cant reach for a Solder even tho the O line is desperate.

So for me this is a toss up. Robert Quinn DE North Carolina. Can he be a 3-4 OLB?
He has the size, and the weight to be one. He is quick too.
My nagging doubts are about his ability to fight off tackles. His use of his hands has been criticised as has the length of his arms. I want to take him, but again I want value at #5. And I want to try to pick who the Cardinals would pick.

So my pick has to be

The Cards wont be drafting an early QB IMO. They will look for a proven performer.

Breaston and Doucett are free agents. And Stevie B was less and less involved towards the end of 2010. AND of course Fitz may be traded away. He is in the last year of his deal and people are talking about him wanting 18 mill.
AJ Green looks to be the real deal. And he IS the type of prospect you want to be selecting with a #5 pick.

I wanted O line or OLB. The O line guy was never doing to be there. But the OLB may have been. Given the scenario that presents itself with the 4 picks going as they have. I would have been looking to trade down were I in the Cardinals FO.

EDIT

I rule out Von Miller because I have doubts about his weight and ability to be the type of guy Davis the likely new DC will want. I think there will be a few better prospects in the 2nd round. Not necessarily better than Miller, just better for the Cardinals than Miller.

Last edited by Northern Soul; 08.02.2011 at 08:07 PM..

Old
  (#7)
leebladedawg
Hall of Fame

Default 08.02.2011, 09:54 PM

Soz guys wasnt expecting this to go so quickly and wont have time in the morning to meet the time limit so cant put an image up as its been so long i have forgotten how to do it.

With the 6th Pick the Cleveland Browns select
Marcell Darius DT.

Wasnt my first choice to be honest but with Quinn,Bowers and Fairely gone along with Quinn i had to go with value. With us moving to a 4-3 Darius will fit alongside Rubin to form a very solid middle though i have concerns about his ability against the run so will see lots of rotating along with Robaire Smith

Secret admirer and the 49ers are now on the clock

I have just sent message to Secret

Last edited by Dave_R; 08.02.2011 at 10:49 PM..

Old
  (#8)
Gengar
MVP

Default 09.02.2011, 01:31 PM

With the 7th overall pick of the 2011 NFLUK Community Pre-Combine Mock Draft the San Francisco 49ers select:

Prince Amukamara, CB, Nebraska

Quote:
http://www.zimbio.com/Prince+Amukama...ince+Amukamara

Prince Amukamara is an exceptional player who keeps his head in the game at all times and shows a complete skill set as an NFL cover corner. His technique stays relatively sharp and he won’t incur many holding penalties. In some games I observed there were times where opposing quarterbacks wouldn’t look to test his side of the field.

Amukamara could easily dominate lesser talent, but had trouble against NFL caliber receivers with a good combination of size and strength. Doesn’t have a ton of experience in zone coverage and it will likely take a little time to get comfortable with the nuances. His recovery speed is something he’ll need to improve to reach the elite level, and may benefit from playing safety early in his career. Has all the tools to be extremely good at the NFL level and should be off the board very early.

Old
  (#9)
THE_TITAN
All Pro

Default 09.02.2011, 04:21 PM

With the 8th overall pick of the 2011 NFL pre-combine community mock draft, the Tennessee Titans select.....

Von Miller LB-Texas A&M

Von Miller makes sense at 8th overall, he is the best linebacker in the draft and will instantly improve the Titans linebacking corps. I feel that he is a 4-3 linbacker but he has the skill and technique to be extremely well utilised in the a hybrid defense which Mike Munchak is looking to bring in to Tennessee. He will be effective as an all down LB and also on the hybrid 3-4 blitz or in coverage. He has the ability to be a terrific pass rusher in the league and be an elite linebacker.

Miller was outstanding at the senior bowl and has been drawing some comparisons with Clay Matthews which can only improve his draft stock. If he did arrive in Nashville then I would assume we would let Babin leave at DE as Miller would replace his pass rush contribution and Babin will be looking to push in a overpriced contract.

Dallas Cowboys and cheshiremulisha on the clock

Old
  (#10)
cheshiremulisha
All Pro

Default 09.02.2011, 07:05 PM

With the 9th pick of the 2011 NFL Draft the Cowboys take...

Cameron Jordan - DE - Cal

Tough pic this, as the 1 or 2 players I had penciled in as possibly falling to me have already gone and I don't expect Jerry to take Solder.
Jordan has great size and had an amazing senior bowl who is great against the run and also at pushing the pocket/rushing the passer who will sure up the cowboys d-line.

Other considerations:
Aldon Smith (freak that would provide awesome pass rush opposite Ware)
Nate Solder (what the cowboys need, but not what the cowboys do)

Washington Redskins are on the clock