Go Back   NFL UK Forums > National Football League > New to the NFL?

what do the QB's mean when they say numbers and colours?
Old
  (#1)
monta8mixes
Starter

Default what do the QB's mean when they say numbers and colours? - 15.01.2012, 10:54 PM

like in this Giants and packers game what does Aaron Rodgers mean when he says '3 19' before the snap?

Old
  (#2)
vann_mcelroy
Banned

Default 15.01.2012, 11:42 PM

They are snap counts .

Basially its so his own offense know when to move or go in motion etc and the defense doesnt

Old
  (#3)
Lastminuteman
Rookie

Click here to choose your avatar

Default 16.01.2012, 12:11 AM

They're coded messages and can mean a variety of things, such as:
- a change to the play that was called in the huddle (aka an "audible" play)
- instructions for blocking assignments after seeing the defense's alignment
- a call for a planned formation shift or to put a receiver in motion
- a word sequence alerting the team that they're about to snap the ball
- gibberish to mislead the defense so they can't pick out the real code

Old
  (#4)
richardhosker
Rookie

Default 16.01.2012, 12:12 AM

I wish i new exactly what it means, but I understand the following is true:

Usually they come to the line, the QB calls out the Mike linebacker (doesn't have to be a linebacker) which then tells the linemen what the protection is. Then in the so called 'cadence' you hear something like "Green 19, Green 19 set hut!" and the ball is snapped. Green is the live colour which means the ball will be snapped on the pre-determined signal (in this case hut).

If the QB wants to try and draw the defense off-side they go on a hard count.You might hear "Blue 82, Blue 82 Set Hut! (Pause) Hut Hut" (pause) "Green 19 Green 19, set hut". In this case the live colour is use to tell the offense this is not when i want to hike the ball. Obviously you have to change the live colour if you are to do this quite often. Favre was good at the hard count.

Live colours are often used to fake audibles to confuse the defense. I'm sure Peyton Manning dummy audibles 40% of the time.

Some times you'll hear: "Green 19 Green 19 43 set hut". The 43 is the defensive front, and there many differnt numbers that are attributed to differnt fronts depending where the linemen and backers line up.

Search West Coast Offense Playbook and you'll find the basics described.

The Giants use Omaha set when they want to hike the ball quickly. Tom Brady appears to use Alpha to do the same.

Hope this helps.

If any of this is inaccurate I welcome corrections.

Old
  (#5)
jrt55555
MVP

Default 16.01.2012, 01:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardhosker View Post
I wish i new exactly what it means, but I understand the following is true:

Usually they come to the line, the QB calls out the Mike linebacker (doesn't have to be a linebacker) which then tells the linemen what the protection is. Then in the so called 'cadence' you hear something like "Green 19, Green 19 set hut!" and the ball is snapped. Green is the live colour which means the ball will be snapped on the pre-determined signal (in this case hut).

If the QB wants to try and draw the defense off-side they go on a hard count.You might hear "Blue 82, Blue 82 Set Hut! (Pause) Hut Hut" (pause) "Green 19 Green 19, set hut". In this case the live colour is use to tell the offense this is not when i want to hike the ball. Obviously you have to change the live colour if you are to do this quite often. Favre was good at the hard count.

Live colours are often used to fake audibles to confuse the defense. I'm sure Peyton Manning dummy audibles 40% of the time.

Some times you'll hear: "Green 19 Green 19 43 set hut". The 43 is the defensive front, and there many differnt numbers that are attributed to differnt fronts depending where the linemen and backers line up.

Search West Coast Offense Playbook and you'll find the basics described.

The Giants use Omaha set when they want to hike the ball quickly. Tom Brady appears to use Alpha to do the same.

Hope this helps.

If any of this is inaccurate I welcome corrections.
Right, the Omaha/Alpha call seems to mean 'forget what I said in the huddle, we're running out of playclicok so go on my next "hike"'!

Old
  (#6)
Deal or No Deal
All Pro

Default 16.01.2012, 01:23 AM

Eli is so predicable in his snap counts, I always say "omaha set" in my head and I'm usually spot on and don't try to listen to Matt Ryan, he's gone too far naming ever colour in the rainbow and talking about everything under the sun

He's not quite Peyton Manning yet though...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZI07...eature=related

Last edited by Deal or No Deal; 16.01.2012 at 01:44 AM..

Old
  (#7)
jrt55555
MVP

Default 16.01.2012, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deal or No Deal View Post
Eli is so predicable in his snap counts, I always say "omaha set" in my head and I'm usually spot on and don't try to listen to Matt Ryan, he's gone too far naming ever colour in the rainbow and talking about everything under the sun

He's not quite Peyton Manning yet though...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZI07...eature=related
I don't even need to click that link to know which video it is

"Chocolate!"

Old
  (#8)
Bobbynogz
Starter

Default 16.01.2012, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrt55555 View Post
I don't even need to click that link to know which video it is

"Chocolate!"
"Sally buffalo! Apple apple! HUT!"

Lmao, brilliant video.

Old
  (#9)
Chris_Marks
Starter

Default 16.01.2012, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deal or No Deal View Post
The commentators even called it out on a Giants game a few weeks ago - having apologised for doing so first.

Of course, the Giants will have a few months during the off season to teach Eli the name of another US state...

Anyway, back to the OP - some of the audibles are codes for certain plays, usually the QB's seen something that he can take advantage of, or sees a blitz coming, so will audible to another play that'll stand a better chance of succeeding. Others are just meaningless gibberish, or simply to confirm what the play was - or actually designate it if they're going no huddle.

Old
  (#10)
boomer07uk
All Pro

Default 16.01.2012, 08:38 PM

Yeah you'll also hear "Alert Alert" at times, particularly from Eli. Watch for a blitz on plays like that, he's most often right.