PDA

View Full Version : Who should be our Head Coach next season?

JamesGall13
23.12.2013, 03:13 AM
Just wondering who should be our Head Coach next season?

If he gets sacked, I would love to see Rex Ryan get the Job. Our defense has been a disgrace for years now and I believe he would turn it around given time. Mike Smith has to go.

georgia dome
23.12.2013, 03:21 AM
I agree he has to go too
but don`t think we are going to be that lucky???
I got a feeling he`s still going to be there next season
i don`t want rex tho not for me anyway
and yes out d is in a bad way but so is our o line

Stubbsy #21
23.12.2013, 02:53 PM
I've got thoughts on this. Few names I'd consider:

Mike Zimmer
Jay Gruden
David Shaw

Quite why we let Zimmer go after the mess of the 2007 season is a mystery. Our defense was not the weak point that year as any offense run by a combination of Joey Harrington and Byron Leftwich wasn't going to cut it! I'd have given him the Interim HC position then after Petrino cried off back to college.

steven a h
24.12.2013, 12:01 AM
dream on guys we are getting mike smith back so you will just have to get over it .

DirtyBird98
24.12.2013, 01:16 AM
Just wondering who should be our Head Coach next season?

If he gets sacked, I would love to see Rex Ryan get the Job.

Sexy Rexy? You gotta be kidding me.

JamesGall13
24.12.2013, 04:59 AM
I've got thoughts on this. Few names I'd consider:

Mike Zimmer
Jay Gruden
David Shaw

Quite why we let Zimmer go after the mess of the 2007 season is a mystery. Our defense was not the weak point that year as any offense run by a combination of Joey Harrington and Byron Leftwich wasn't going to cut it! I'd have given him the Interim HC position then after Petrino cried off back to college.

From what I have seen of the Bengals offense, I wouldn't want Jay Gruden. Yes they have put up a lot of points in some games this year but his playcalling at times is baffling. I think Zimmer deserves an interview at least if we get rid of Smith.

JamesGall13
24.12.2013, 05:02 AM
Sexy Rexy? You gotta be kidding me.

Why? He has got the Jets to 2 AFC Championship games. Knows how to create a mean defense. This year he has got that roster to over achieve, and the thing that has always held his teams back is not finding a franchise QB. Offensive weapons and Franchise QB are things we have.

Domed Outter
24.12.2013, 05:12 AM
Why? He has got the Jets to 2 AFC Championship games. Knows how to create a mean defense. This year he has got that roster to over achieve, and the thing that has always held his teams back is not finding a franchise QB. Offensive weapons and Franchise QB are things we have.

We've got Nolan. An offensive-minded HC is the way to go and let Nolan have full control of his side of things.

JamesGall13
24.12.2013, 05:18 AM
We've got Nolan. An offensive-minded HC is the way to go and let Nolan have full control of his side of things.

Any suggestions? I wouldn't mind going down that route either. Would a new head coach give Nolan full control of the defense though? He called a great game tonight I must say. Personal hurt us.

Dartmoor Falcon
25.12.2013, 10:14 AM
dream on guys we are getting mike smith back so you will just have to get over it .

I've seen that as well :mad:

falcon_91
26.12.2013, 03:26 AM
David Shaw isn't leaving Stanford, potentially ever

equinoxx
28.12.2013, 09:19 AM
Sorry to butt in, but wow.

One losing season and you want him gone?

He deserves at least one more season. If that.

Domed Outter
28.12.2013, 10:14 AM
Sorry to butt in, but wow.

One losing season and you want him gone?

He deserves at least one more season. If that.

Its not just because of one season. People are sick of us playing not to lose rather than to win. The players have no fire (barring a couple), and get mugged by almost every set of opposition players who see us as a soft touch.

He'll get one more year and be on the hot seat by time the Wembley game is upon us. Another wasted season.

Stubbsy #21
28.12.2013, 10:44 AM
Past seasons have somewhat masked our shortcomings as we've been relatively injury free and been winning games. With neither of these being the case this year all these shortcomings have come to the fore. We need to bring in line coaches that can get both our O and D lines playing with a bit of fire and aggression and playing through the whistle. That and we need to draft better in both these areas.

JamesGall13
29.12.2013, 11:24 PM
The last few weeks have convinced me that we need to give Smith another season. This season is more on Dimitroff then him, I couldn't think of many coaches who would get more wins with an O-Line like that.

Dartmoor Falcon
30.12.2013, 08:16 AM
If we are keeping Smith (and i think we are), then we need a really good draft for both lines to make us competitive next season.

Devilfalc
30.12.2013, 09:34 AM
A: Anybody but Mike Smith

Domed Outter
30.12.2013, 11:12 AM
Well if Dimitroff can't acquire the players on either line this season, then that should be that.

Dartmoor Falcon
31.12.2013, 08:18 AM
Well no new HC but saw this on the Falcons facebook page this morning - The Falcons have announced that offensive line coaches Paul Dunn and Pat Hill and defensive line coach Ray Hamilton will not return for the 2014 season

Domed Outter
31.12.2013, 12:13 PM
In the presser yesterday, a lot of the questions asked were about the offensive line. From the answers given I'd say that's where the priorities will be in both free agency and the draft.

No excuses with the cap space we have, and a full compliment of draft picks (open to picking up a couple more).

JamesGall13
31.12.2013, 02:22 PM
In the presser yesterday, a lot of the questions asked were about the offensive line. From the answers given I'd say that's where the priorities will be in both free agency and the draft.

No excuses with the cap space we have, and a full compliment of draft picks (open to picking up a couple more).

Dimitroff said they'll have to continue to develop the talent they have. Hope we go O-Line and D-Line heavy and don't put the blame on the coaches. Dimitriff doesn't have a great record with our 1st round picks.

Steve_Killman
02.01.2014, 07:38 PM
There were a few whisperings of us drafting in that DE Clowney guy with our first pick. I'm not too clued up on college football but hope he's not another Jamaal Anderson.

Dartmoor Falcon
02.01.2014, 08:40 PM
I've not seen much college football but he looks like a quality DE.

falcon_91
07.01.2014, 12:42 AM
Clowney is about as far away from Jamaal Anderson as a DE can be from another.

Clowney is a physical freak, in the same way Megatron is. HE's mailed it in this year mainly to help avoid injury, especially after seeing Lattimore injuries destroy his stock.
Anderson was a decent run stuff DE but couldn't get to the QB, Clowney is a pass rushing phenom.

Georgiaboy
19.09.2014, 06:42 PM
If Smitty is replaced, I would like to see a coach come in with an offensive background. Smitty was the Jags def coordinator and we have one of the best offenses in the league. Having a DC run this team with our weapons is like having a one armed man drive a lamborghini.

Stubbsy #21
29.10.2014, 02:27 PM
Thought I'd revive this thread given how this year is turning out. One name I've seen mentioned is Dan Quinn who is the Seahawks DC currently and I'd be open to that. However on Sunday I was checking out the Arizona game and I liked what their DC Todd Bowles was doing. Even late in the game he was being aggressive, sending blitzes and creating pressure in different ways. He made some good adjustments during the game and given that Arizona have been missing key people on their defense at various points in the season and yet have still been getting results surely deserves some credit.

Although as he's got no connection to Jacksonville (that I'm aware of) he may be fighting a losing battle :D

DirtyBird98
30.10.2014, 01:11 AM
Harbaugh!!

Dartmoor Falcon
14.11.2014, 03:40 PM
Harbaugh!!

Which one?

I'm assuming you mean Jim.

I'm with Stubbsy though and think Todd Bowles would be worth a go.

georgia dome
14.11.2014, 07:12 PM
Jon Gruden
for me all the way

Dartmoor Falcon
14.11.2014, 07:18 PM
Really he's been out of the game for a while now?

georgia dome
14.11.2014, 07:23 PM
i know he has
but i really think he could do wonders with our team
i may be wrong but thats what i think anyway?

boknows34
15.11.2014, 03:41 PM
Which one?

I'm assuming you mean Jim.

I'm with Stubbsy though and think Todd Bowles would be worth a go.

Bowles has just signed a contract extension with the Cards this week.

iffies
15.11.2014, 04:02 PM
Bowles has just signed a contract extension with the Cards this week.
He can still go for a head coach position according to this -
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000427503/article/todd-bowles-cardinals-strike-extension-through-2017

Dartmoor Falcon
15.11.2014, 04:53 PM
i know he has
but i really think he could do wonders with our team
i may be wrong but thats what i think anyway?

Fair enough mate, looks like my tip is out anyway, I can't see him leaving the cards now.

Dartmoor Falcon
16.11.2014, 08:03 PM
Harbaugh!!

Ian Rapoport is reporting that he is not expected to be with the 49ers next season.

JamesGall13
16.11.2014, 10:07 PM
Mike Smith.

Stubbsy #21
16.11.2014, 11:35 PM
Mike Smith.

What? He should be or he will be?

If somehow we get to the playoffs then yes I agree he probably would be. Should he be? Probably not.

He's taken us out of the mess of the Vick & Petrino debacle but I can't see us ever winning the Super Bowl with him as Head Coach.

Domed Outter
17.11.2014, 04:19 AM
Soon turning into anyone but Mike Smith. That's how sick I am with this teams inability to play for 60 minutes of game time. Still no complete games this season.

RedRage
17.11.2014, 02:25 PM
Please stay away from Todd Bowles, thanks :)

JamesGall13
23.11.2014, 12:48 AM
I was being sarcastic with the Mike Smith recommendation. I don't watch enough college football to know who could be the next Harbaugh.

As well as a new head coach, I want a General Manager whose Ego isn't massive. Dimitroff spends more time being friendly with the media (who avoid criticising him) and doing his hair than he does building a team who don't have blatant needs in several areas.

Stubbsy #21
23.11.2014, 09:28 PM
Please stay away from Todd Bowles, thanks :)

That could be wishful thinking if you saw our game tonight!

JamesGall13
24.11.2014, 03:30 AM
If we go after a defensive minded coach, I'd like Todd Bowles. He has done a great job with Arizona's defence. If we go after an offensive minded head coach, I'd like Josh McDaniels.

Domed Outter
24.11.2014, 09:37 AM
If we go after a defensive minded coach, I'd like Todd Bowles. He has done a great job with Arizona's defence. If we go after an offensive minded head coach, I'd like Josh McDaniels.

Adam Gase or Todd Bowles. Dirk "puppet strings" Koetter is taming Pinocchio .

RedRage
29.11.2014, 03:26 AM
That could be wishful thinking if you saw our game tonight!

I know, but I can hope. He has said he'll only leave for what he feels to be a good fit, but I can't see why he wouldn't want the Atlanta job :(

steven a h
30.11.2014, 04:35 PM
josh mcdaniels ????

Stubbsy #21
30.11.2014, 04:47 PM
I know, but I can hope. He has said he'll only leave for what he feels to be a good fit, but I can't see why he wouldn't want the Atlanta job :(

Hope may be all that's left. This evening could be considered his audition for the job. He'd have some pieces for an offence and a defense lacking in playmakers but which he could have in influence on and shape as he sees fit.

josh mcdaniels ????

Nope - comes across as a bit of a douchebag to me and from what I've heard he's not exactly liked in the Patriots locker room.

Stubbsy #21
29.12.2014, 04:56 PM
Time to bump this thread again. If I was hiring a new coach my shortlist would be as follows:

Todd Bowles
Teryl Austin
Dan Quinn

I don't think Rex Ryan would be the worst hire in the world but he wouldn't be at the top of my list (maybe he'd take the D Co-ordinators job if we're lucky :D)

JamesGall13
30.12.2014, 04:17 AM
Time to bump this thread again. If I was hiring a new coach my shortlist would be as follows:

Todd Bowles
Teryl Austin
Dan Quinn

I don't think Rex Ryan would be the worst hire in the world but he wouldn't be at the top of my list (maybe he'd take the D Co-ordinators job if we're lucky :D)

I want Bowles or Rex Ryan because I put McDaniels and Gases success down to their Quarterbacks and our defence has been a shambles for years.

Saying that, I can't get exciting about this team anymore knowing that the cancer is still our general manager.

Domed Outter
30.12.2014, 10:21 AM

Todd Bowles
Teryl Austin
Dan Quinn

That is an excellent pool of candidates. Also, read up on Austin and he has had a decent amount of success.

Also, I'd like to think if it was one of those they could also double up as the DC with maybe a young understudy, or in Rex's case whoever he wants.

Adz
04.01.2015, 08:44 PM
Personally like Ryan, think he was hamstrung in NY with Idzik, not giving him what he needs to make his D work, ie corners who can play press and man to man, I don't think we are that far away, we have the most expensive positions to fill, QB, LT, WR CB already sown up with some amazing talent, I don't want a rookie coach coming in and finding his feet, I want someone who can motivate a talentless D ( with the exception of Tru) and Blank wants someone who can sell PSL's.

And it wasn't TD who didn't want an edge rusher the last couple of drafts, it was Smitty and Nolan who wanted players who could collapse the pocket up the middle, and defend the run better, hence the 2 big DT's last year in free agency, TD got what his coaching staff wanted.

JamesGall13
05.01.2015, 01:09 AM
And it wasn't TD who didn't want an edge rusher the last couple of drafts, it was Smitty and Nolan who wanted players who could collapse the pocket up the middle, and defend the run better, hence the 2 big DT's last year in free agency, TD got what his coaching staff wanted.

So we are told but Dimitroff has had 7 years to get us a pass rusher. Can't believe so many fans are lapping up Blank and Dimitroffs nonsense. Hopefully the new head coach that comes in doesn't want Dimitroff because he is a cancer in the organisation.

Domed Outter
05.01.2015, 03:53 PM
So we are told but Dimitroff has had 7 years to get us a pass rusher. Can't believe so many fans are lapping up Blank and Dimitroffs nonsense. Hopefully the new head coach that comes in doesn't want Dimitroff because he is a cancer in the organisation.

Ok then, so from 2008-2012 we had Abraham. Smith has been quoted as saying that sacks are overrated.

Mike Nolan wanted 10 players with 4 sacks instead of 4 with 10.

Dimitroff also attempted to trade up for Dee Ford and Demarcus Lawrence in the 2014 draft. Other players he drafted haven't got enough game time, even Massaquoi has had next to no pass rushing snaps (at a low snap percentage as it is).

What did it take to find our best group of linemen this season? Injuries.

What was our D-line like when they were playing better as a unit? When Hageman got more snaps, and Babs wasn't played out of position at DE and Osi was rushing the QB.

I despair.

Adz
05.01.2015, 05:32 PM

A pass rusher hasn't been a priority for 7 years, he was drafting the nucleus of the team in the early years and as the guy above points out the guys he did draft have not been on the field.

JamesGall13
06.01.2015, 04:36 PM
Ok then, so from 2008-2012 we had Abraham. Smith has been quoted as saying that sacks are overrated.

Mike Nolan wanted 10 players with 4 sacks instead of 4 with 10.

Dimitroff also attempted to trade up for Dee Ford and Demarcus Lawrence in the 2014 draft. Other players he drafted haven't got enough game time, even Massaquoi has had next to no pass rushing snaps (at a low snap percentage as it is).

What did it take to find our best group of linemen this season? Injuries.

What was our D-line like when they were playing better as a unit? When Hageman got more snaps, and Babs wasn't played out of position at DE and Osi was rushing the QB.

I despair.

A pass rusher hasn't been a priority for 7 years, he was drafting the nucleus of the team in the early years and as the guy above points out the guys he did draft have not been on the field.

Dimitroff has drafted and signed poorly. Who hasn't seen the field? Massaquoi? Our fanbase like to think he is the 2nd coming of Lawrence Taylor. He has the worst PFF grade of any Falcons pass rusher. The only defensive players we have that would start on other NFL teams are Trufant, Moore and maybe Alford. Our Linebackers are the worst group of Linebackers in the NFL. Worrilow, Bartu and Shembo shouldn't be on the roster nevermind starting. The signing of Tyson Jackson was baffling. Signing him just because his mate Pioli told him too. The coaches made mistakes but that shouldn't hide the fact that Dimitroff has built a team devoid of talent.

And the notion that pass rush wasn't a need is nonsense. Pass rush has been this teams achilles heel for years. Abraham was the only player we had that could rush the passer and they cut him for Umenyiora but that was all Mike Smiths fault :rolleyes: Dimitroff simply cannot draft or sign defensive linemen. Peria Jerry, Ray Edwards, Tyson Jackson, Kroy Biermann and Malliciah Goodman etc.... prove it.

He also spent 3rd round picks on the following; Chevis Jackson, Harry Douglas, Thomas DeCoud, Chris Owens, Akeem Dent, Mike Johnson, Lamar Holmes and Dezmen Southward. Simply embarrassing. This team is going to stay crap unless Dimitoff and his mates are sacked too.

Domed Outter
06.01.2015, 05:30 PM
Dimitroff has drafted and signed poorly. Who hasn't seen the field? Massaquoi? Our fanbase like to think he is the 2nd coming of Lawrence Taylor. He has the worst PFF grade of any Falcons pass rusher. The only defensive players we have that would start on other NFL teams are Trufant, Moore and maybe Alford. Our Linebackers are the worst group of Linebackers in the NFL. Worrilow, Bartu and Shembo shouldn't be on the roster nevermind starting. The signing of Tyson Jackson was baffling. Signing him just because his mate Pioli told him too. The coaches made mistakes but that shouldn't hide the fact that Dimitroff has built a team devoid of talent.

And the notion that pass rush wasn't a need is nonsense. Pass rush has been this teams achilles heel for years. Abraham was the only player we had that could rush the passer and they cut him for Umenyiora but that was all Mike Smiths fault :rolleyes: Dimitroff simply cannot draft or sign defensive linemen. Peria Jerry, Ray Edwards, Tyson Jackson, Kroy Biermann and Malliciah Goodman etc.

Ok. Have you actually watched Mass play or just write him off as if he was like some of those 3rd round draft picks? He is a competent pass rusher who should've got far more playing time and PASS RUSHING snaps. Jeez.

Most players have to have the opportunity to develop in game situations. With Smith, they haven't. God forbid Abe being young enough to develop under Smith, as he wouldn't have. As it stands he has health issues like he had during his time with us and look who played our only pass rusher in a meaningless game and got injured and rendered ineffective during the 2 playoff games.

JamesGall13
07.01.2015, 06:04 PM
Ok. Have you actually watched Mass play or just write him off as if he was like some of those 3rd round draft picks? He is a competent pass rusher who should've got far more playing time and PASS RUSHING snaps. Jeez.

Most players have to have the opportunity to develop in game situations. With Smith, they haven't. God forbid Abe being young enough to develop under Smith, as he wouldn't have. As it stands he has health issues like he had during his time with us and look who played our only pass rusher in a meaningless game and got injured and rendered ineffective during the 2 playoff games.

Of course I have watched him play but unlike you I think his ceiling would be 8 sacks. He showed up vs. the Bears, Buccaneers and Ravens (Who had OL injuries) this season. The Bears and Buccaneers are teams with poor O-Lines. Fans act like playing Massaquoi would have changed our season. It wouldn't have, the roster is devoid of defensive talent and that falls on the General Manager. Keeping him around for another season or two will just waste more of Matt Ryans career.

What would change our season would be sacking Dimitroff and his mates and getting a GM who can draft Defensive linemen and one who would not throw his head coach under the bus to divert criticism. If anything our young players play too much. Worrilow, Bartu, Shembo and Goodman spend way too much time on the field as does Toilolo.

Domed Outter
11.01.2015, 03:45 PM
Of course I have watched him play but unlike you I think his ceiling would be 8 sacks. He showed up vs. the Bears, Buccaneers and Ravens (Who had OL injuries) this season. The Bears and Buccaneers are teams with poor O-Lines. Fans act like playing Massaquoi would have changed our season. It wouldn't have, the roster is devoid of defensive talent and that falls on the General Manager. Keeping him around for another season or two will just waste more of Matt Ryans career.

What would change our season would be sacking Dimitroff and his mates and getting a GM who can draft Defensive linemen and one who would not throw his head coach under the bus to divert criticism. If anything our young players play too much. Worrilow, Bartu, Shembo and Goodman spend way too much time on the field as does Toilolo.

Ravens had good o-line depth as has been the case all season. The bottom line is that the head coach was signing off on having one pass rusher at the most at one time. Mass could get 8 sacks, or more, or less, but you have to play your better players regardless.

Goodman will be fine but they decided he needed to put on 15lbs which wasn't necessary when they switched back to a 4-2-5. Toilolo I agree wouldn't start for any other NFL team.

If we can avoid McDaniels and Marrone then i'll be happy. Still some decent candidates out there.

JamesGall13
11.01.2015, 03:53 PM
Ravens had good o-line depth as has been the case all season. The bottom line is that the head coach was signing off on having one pass rusher at the most at one time. Mass could get 8 sacks, or more, or less, but you have to play your better players regardless.

Goodman will be fine but they decided he needed to put on 15lbs which wasn't necessary when they switched back to a 4-2-5. Toilolo I agree wouldn't start for any other NFL team.

If we can avoid McDaniels and Marrone then i'll be happy. Still some decent candidates out there.

Disappointed we didn't get Rex Ryan. Seems like Dimitroff was the reasoning behind it. The cancer in the organisation is getting worse.

Domed Outter
11.01.2015, 04:06 PM
Disappointed we didn't get Rex Ryan. Seems like Dimitroff was the reasoning behind it. The cancer in the organisation is getting worse.

My preference is Quinn with Shanahan/Trestman as OC. Don't think any of those will be here.

Can't help but think that Blank's mother passing away has delayed the process enough, which is unfortunate. Also, it'd be interesting to know what findings Korn Ferry manage to highlight as I don't understand why we need them outside of a neutral view.

Adz
14.01.2015, 07:41 AM
Dimitroff has built a team devoid of talent

Really.....?

Must've dreamed those playoff appearances then.....

JamesGall13
14.01.2015, 11:10 AM
Really.....?

Must've dreamed those playoff appearances then.....

We haven't been to the playoffs in 2 years and are 10-22 in the past two seasons. If you think the team is not devoid of talent I would have to ask have you watched the Falcons the past two seasons?

Adz
14.01.2015, 08:44 PM
We haven't been to the playoffs in 2 years and are 10-22 in the past two seasons. If you think the team is not devoid of talent I would have to ask have you watched the Falcons the past two seasons?

I have indeed, and the 4 seasons before that when we had winning records went to the playoffs, and I've also seen the team get decimated by injuries over the past 2 seasons but then I guess they were all TD's fault as well?

I guess we're not going to see eye to eye on this are we, shall we agree to disagree and see where we are at seasons end?

Dartmoor Falcon
18.01.2015, 08:02 PM
Sounds like its going to be Quinn.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000459983/article/falcons-telling-people-they-plan-to-hire-dan-quinn

Domed Outter
20.01.2015, 02:25 AM
Sounds like its going to be Quinn.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000459983/article/falcons-telling-people-they-plan-to-hire-dan-quinn

So will certain people be having a go at Blank for hiring Quinn, Quinn for wanting to be a head coach in Atlanta, Korn Ferry for working with us, Dimitroff for offering Quinn some of his hair products?

Positive thoughts!

Dartmoor Falcon
20.01.2015, 12:55 PM
So will certain people be having a go at Blank for hiring Quinn, Quinn for wanting to be a head coach in Atlanta, Korn Ferry for working with us, Dimitroff for offering Quinn some of his hair products?

Positive thoughts!

I've noticed some people struggle with the positive thoughts.

Stubbsy #21
20.01.2015, 02:16 PM
So will certain people be having a go at Blank for hiring Quinn,

No

Quinn for wanting to be a head coach in Atlanta,

No

Korn Ferry for working with us,

Not sure

Dimitroff for offering Quinn some of his hair products?

Yes :D

Positive enough?

Also rumoured that Quinn wants Kyle Shanahan as his OC. Thoughts on that?

Domed Outter
20.01.2015, 03:30 PM
No

No

Not sure

Yes :D

Positive enough?

Also rumoured that Quinn wants Kyle Shanahan as his OC. Thoughts on that?

Yesssss, and....yes. Zone blocking with only Blalock to replace and a back up in Holmes who would also suit that style. Just a couple more for depth and we should be set to on the line.