09.02.2014, 06:17 PM
Hi guys:)

just want to see what other peoples opinion is on the Texans
1. who do you think the Texans will get in the draft. :rolleyes:
2. how well the Texans will do next year.:confused:
3. and just wondering has any team in the history of the NFL
did what the Texans did this year go 2-0 and then finish 2-14
(or any thing else like that) :D

1. I think we'll end up picking Manziel as QB, though I'd prefer us to pick Clowney to pair up with Watt. But if it has to be a QB then I'd prefer us to take Bridgewater.

2. Depends on the draft and how well the players respond in camp to the new coaching team. I'd love us to do what the Chiefs did and turn a 2-14 season into a 9-0 start and ultimately a play off birth.

3. much worse teams in the past, Lions had an 0-16 season couple years back.

Texan Bar
09.02.2014, 07:51 PM
Agree that Clowney and Watt in that defense would cause problems for any QB up against them.
Problem is, if we choose Clowney as our no. 1 pick , then there will certainly be no Manziel or Bridgewater still left for our next pick (The Browns & Jags/Rams will see to that).
That would mean (once again) that have to go with Shaub or pick up a veteran QB in free agency.
Without a decent starting QB , I fear that the team know that it will be an average season at best, and will play accordingly.
Also def. required is a RT, to shore up the O line, and CB.

Texan Oiler
09.02.2014, 10:34 PM
I really don't want us to pick Manziel just don't think he really is the No1 QB in this draft, for me that is definitely Bridgewater.

I don't see the Rams taking an early pick QB, they've got a good starting QB if they can keep him fit and sure up their O-line to protect him.

Shaub I don't see being out starter even if we don't pick a QB at No1. Keenum is ahead of Shaub now I'd say anyway, there are a couple of decent options in free agency that could do a good job with a bolstered O-Line. Plus there are other options that could be available in round 2 not everyone is going to pick off all the QBs on round 1. Could be that Taj Boyd would be available in round 2, maybe not the Bridgewater or Manziel everyone is craving but he is a good dual threat QB that could be developed.

I agree about the need for a RT & CB though. One thing is for sure its promising to be a very good draft this year.

Ollyrules
10.02.2014, 12:44 PM
For me, you simply can't pass up the opportunity to pair up Clowney and Watt. That'd be incredible, you'd only need to rush those two guys :D

I also don't think any of the QBs in this draft warrant being picked first overall. Don't see a Luck/RG3 type standout among them, they're all gonna be average MFL players imo

jarhead_7900
11.02.2014, 12:04 PM
Clowney and Watt in defense would be very strong, just have to look at seahawks for that

I DONT think we should take Manziel ,if not Bridgewater ,then Bortles he would fit in well i think .

Texan Oiler
11.02.2014, 02:18 PM
Clowney and Watt in defense would be very strong, just have to look at seahawks for that

I DONT think we should take Manziel ,if not Bridgewater ,then Bortles he would fit in well i think .

Totally agree with you, I'm hoping we will take Clowney as No.1 pick and sacrifice Manziel as I really don't want to see him in a Texans Jersey..

Bridgewater for me is the NO.1 QB in this draft but still it has to be Clowney for us (i hope), Would also take Bortles over Manziel, Manziel is to much about him and we need to forge a strong team not count on an individual. Pretty much just like the Seahawks

Texan Bar
11.02.2014, 08:44 PM
Well it looks at the moment like our #1 pick is going to be from 1 of 3 players.
QB's Manziel or Bridgewater , OR DE Clowney - unless we trade down.

Clowney. my main concern here would be where he would fit in in a 3-4 defence?
Obviously JJ on one side of the line. Can we afford to have another aggressive edge rusher on the other side? In theory JJ + Clowney sound like the dreamticket , but in reality... i'm not so sure!
Does a guy with only 3 sacks to his name last season really challenge for the overall no.1 pick?

Manziel / Bridgewater - Certainly no Andrew Luck, but, without that franchise QB, we ain't gonna challenge for the AFC South title let alone challenge for a superbowl place. Bridgewater would be the safer pair of hands, but with Manziel, this is the guy that can make those plays that only a special talented QB can.
Therefore I hope we go with Manziel, and also make that o line stronger to give him the time to make those plays.

Tobytexans
12.02.2014, 07:16 PM
1. I think we'll end up picking Manziel as QB, though I'd prefer us to pick Clowney to pair up with Watt. But if it has to be a QB then I'd prefer us to take Bridgewater.

2. Depends on the draft and how well the players respond in camp to the new coaching team. I'd love us to do what the Chiefs did and turn a 2-14 season into a 9-0 start and ultimately a play off birth.

3. much worse teams in the past, Lions had an 0-16 season couple years back.

3. I know teams have gone on losing streaks but I want to know has any team gone good to bad just like that E.G 3-0 then go 3-13:)

Ollyrules
13.02.2014, 12:15 PM
3. I know teams have gone on losing streaks but I want to know has any team gone good to bad just like that E.G 3-0 then go 3-13:)

I'd argue the Texans were never very good tho...;)

Texan Oiler
13.02.2014, 01:24 PM

Certainly rings true for this year, even the Jags were better than us:eek:

Still the positive being the only way is up and this year we're gong to push for a playoff place.... Got to try and be positive.

Tobytexans
15.02.2014, 04:41 PM
At lest we don't have glory hunter fans :p

Tobytexans
15.02.2014, 04:42 PM

Texan Oiler
15.02.2014, 09:15 PM

Certainly very true we can't ever be called glory hunters or trying to live off past glory.

What we do have is the basis of a very good team that needs a few tweaks and a bright future

Tobytexans
17.02.2014, 07:51 PM
Certainly very true we can't ever be called glory hunters or trying to live off past glory.

What we do have is the basis of a very good team that needs a few tweaks and a bright future

with you on that :)

andybam86
28.02.2014, 01:03 AM
I think it will be a toss up between Clowney, Bortles and Bridgewater. Manziel is too high risk for Rick Smith. I like the idea of Clowney but we are not going to accomplish anything if we do not draft a qb. Unless we grab Vick in free agency but then i guess he is high risk too.

Def agree with you on the most loyal fans in the NFL. We have been through an awful lot since 02 and i'm still as proud to be Texan now as i was then.

Go Texans!!!

Texan Bar
28.02.2014, 08:48 PM
With regards to the RB position, its looking like Ben Tate will be off to free agency. Do we have a quality back up to Arian Foster? Dennis Johnson, Johnathan Grimes, and Ray Graham do not appear to be stand out replacements for Tate.
With the talk being that Tate will be the best RB in the free agency market, will the Texans perhaps be looking at drafting a back up RB in the later rounds,or with Fosters recent injury problems, are the GM and coaching staff possibly looking for Fosters future replacement in the earlier rounds?

Texan Oiler
02.03.2014, 12:00 PM
Would also hope we steer clear of Manziel. We do have a desperate need ay QB but passing up on Clowney to team him with JJ is going to be hard to do.

Would think we may look more to Bortles than Bridgewater of those 2, buy there is a lot of depth ay QB in this years draft that we could still take a round 2 pick and improve on what we have in Schaub, I mean look ay Seahawks Wilson wasn't a first rounder but is quality.

So if i could choose I'd say take Clowney, then look at someone like McCarron, Mettenburger or Garropolo in Rd2

Chip Butty Physicist
03.03.2014, 09:37 AM
Good morning Texans!

I'm new to this and I've settled on the Texans for a number of reasons.

From the limited videos I've viewed on youtube I think that pairing Clowney and Watt could be a beautiful thing to do.

Texan Bar
03.03.2014, 08:01 PM
Welcome to the Texans Forum Chip Butty Physicist!
It's nice to see the Texans fan base rising slowly but surely.

Chip Butty Physicist
04.03.2014, 01:59 PM
Slowly being the key word in that sentence! So far as I can tell we're the least followed team on this forum.

JOHN_P
04.03.2014, 11:36 PM
New Texans fan here too, I've been watching the NFL for quite some time now and have never settled on a team, the Texans being 1 of many teams I followed, I've now decided to stick with them for many reasons.

For the draft I would like to see Bridgewater drafted with the 1st pick, although if we did end up drafting Clowney I wouldn't be disappointed, I can't see many teams being able to stop Watt and Clowney, which will also help every other area of the defense but having a good QB will add more wins and that's what we need.

I've seen a few rumors today that we have contacted the Broncos about trading for Osweiler, not sure if there's any truth to them, whats all your thoughts on him?

Chip Butty Physicist
05.03.2014, 04:13 PM
I'm going to work my way through the past two seasons of Texans games after purchasing the off-season pass. I've only watched a few highlights so far but Schaub looks half-decent!

Texan Bar
05.03.2014, 08:10 PM
I'm going to work my way through the past two seasons of Texans games after purchasing the off-season pass. I've only watched a few highlights so far but Schaub looks half-decent!

You obviously haven't seen Schaub play in any of last seasons games then:D

He does hold a QB NFL record though - four straight games in which he has fired a pick-six!!!

Schaub won't be with the Texans next season, salary too expensive!

Tearstain
08.03.2014, 09:22 PM
I would be very surprised if we took Clowney at 1:1

My first worry would be Crenil's 2 gap system.
this is where he uses his DL primary to hold the line first each covering 2 gaps in the OL.

This for me takes away a big threat of Watt, never mind having Clowney also.

Then there is the wage cap. Watt is coming to the end of his rookie contract and if Clowney progress as expected then we could end up using a lot of cap space on 2 DL which would not leave much for other players.

Sentiment says take Matthews as in my opinion that name belongs in Houston.

Depending on how O'B rates De'Possey we could take Watkins and let Keenham throw him the bombs (will stop drinking now)

JOHN_P
08.03.2014, 10:42 PM
I would be very surprised if we took Clowney at 1:1

My first worry would be Crenil's 2 gap system.
this is where he uses his DL primary to hold the line first each covering 2 gaps in the OL.

This for me takes away a big threat of Watt, never mind having Clowney also.

Then there is the wage cap. Watt is coming to the end of his rookie contract and if Clowney progress as expected then we could end up using a lot of cap space on 2 DL which would not leave much for other players.

Sentiment says take Matthews as in my opinion that name belongs in Houston.

Depending on how O'B rates De'Possey we could take Watkins and let Keenham throw him the bombs (will stop drinking now)

If Watt isn't going to be effective in Crennels system I'm sure he would change to allow Watt to play to his strengths.

I see the same problem as you, if we was to take Clowney, Watt is going to be paid and if Clowney is as good as most people say, he will ask for the same money as Watt if not more and its not a good idea to have all that money tied into 1 position, the only way I see us taking Clowney is if there is a QB OB likes that he think he could get at the top of round 2.

Tearstain
08.03.2014, 11:46 PM
I am struggling to see how his system would fit Watt.

Moving Watt to NT would not work as Crenil likes his NT 330+ and as movable as a rock.
With the 2 gap the OLB is supposed to be an elite edge rusher (among other things) as his route should be free as the DE has plugged 2 OL..... so perhaps move watt to OLB?
He is no slouch running. I am not an e pert at this so could be way off.

I can also see us taking Nix if still on the board at 2:1 (dodgy knees apparently making him drop). He is the 330+ NT for the system.

Would prefer ASJ at 2:1 though.