PDA

View Full Version : 2014 Schedule/ Who is heading over this year?

Graeme_1987
23.04.2014, 06:07 PM
With the schedule hours away from being released, I thought we could use a thread to discuss which games we will be attending as things unfold.

Ideally I want to head over for the first or second home game. Didn't manage over last year so not going to miss out in '14.

First time travelling on my own (have friends over there) to a Saints game so if anyone Who Dats are making the pilgrimage across and would like to meet up feel free to get in touch with me.

Any games in particular people are desperate to attend?

I know the other thread but if anyone has stories to share from previous trips as well as travel advice or restaurant or bar reviews could be useful as well in here.

I'm pretty sure the UK Packers fan club have organised a trip to New Orleans in the past, if anyone had any info on that as well would be cool.

Arathrael
23.04.2014, 06:24 PM
I'm planning to head over for the first time. No particular game in mind, it depends on the schedule - the loose plan is to go to NY for a Giants game first (with a friend who's a Giants fan), and then head down to NO, so if that's what I do the options are limited to Saints home games the week after a Giants home game.

I don't know anyone over there in person at all, so if anyone does end up being there at the same time, it'd be great to meet up. But we'll have to see who's going when for that. :)

holdingrrr
24.04.2014, 09:09 AM
Full Schedule:
PRESEASON
Week 1 Aug. 8 at St. Louis 7 pm
Week 2 Aug. 15 Tennessee 7 pm
Week 3 Aug. 23 at Indianapolis 7 pm
Week 4 Aug. 28 Baltimore 7 pm
REG. SEASON
Week 1 Sept. 7 at Atlanta Noon
Week 2 Sept. 14 at Cleveland Noon
Week 3 Sept. 21 Minnesota Noon
Week 4 Sept. 28 at Dallas 7:30 pm
Week 5 Oct. 5 Tampa Bay Noon
Week 6 BYE WEEK - -
Week 7 Oct. 19 at Detroit Noon
Week 8 Oct. 26 Green Bay 7:30 pm
Week 9 Oct. 30 at Carolina 7:25 pm
Week 10 Nov. 9 San Francisco Noon
Week 11 Nov. 16 Cincinnati Noon
Week 12 Nov. 24 Baltimore 7:30 pm
Week 13 Nov. 30 at Pittsburgh Noon
Week 14 Dec. 7 Carolina Noon
Week 15 Dec. 15 at Chicago 7:30 pm
Week 16 Dec. 21 Atlanta Noon
Week 17 Dec. 28 at Tampa Bay Noon

holdingrrr
24.04.2014, 09:15 AM
I'm going for the first time also! Now I can afford it.
I'm looking at week 12 MNF against the Ravens, mainly because my friend I will be going with supports the Ravens. Was hoping for a Thursday/Sunday combination so we could do both teams matches but didn't work out.

If not that game then Week 3, 5, or 11. Due to prior commitments/IS games.

I don't know anyone either so would be happy to meet up with some fellow UK WhoDats!
My excitement is building already :D

beer_bart
24.04.2014, 09:30 AM
What do you roughly pay or flights guys? I understand you can't fly to NLO direct.

I probably wont make it this year with a nipper on the way but I'm definitely thinking next season.

holdingrrr
24.04.2014, 10:00 AM
What do you roughly pay or flights guys? I understand you can't fly to NLO direct.

I probably wont make it this year with a nipper on the way but I'm definitely thinking next season.

All depends where you fly to and from. Internals to NOLA can be cheap if you fly to a smaller airport. I just use skyscanner and try a few different routes. Should we just charter a flight direct and get all the UK saints fans over for a game? :p

Arathrael
24.04.2014, 10:56 AM
Looks like Week 10 49ers @ Saints for me!

For flights, at the moment it's looking at around £375 return Heathrow to JFK, and then about £170 return JFK to MSY - but that route is because I'll be in NY for a week before heading down to NO (taking in the Colts @ Giants game with a Giants supporter friend). The London to NY price looks pretty good, no idea if the NY to NO price is good or not.

holdingrrr
25.04.2014, 12:40 PM
Where does everyone like to sit in the dome?
How much do you normally pay?
I was looking on ticketmaster exchange as tickets are already being sold on there, I'm happy to pay more but want to be reasonably close and get a good view of the action.

Arathrael
25.04.2014, 02:06 PM
I was going to ask a similar question. Looked at the ticket exchanges as well and if the prices are typical and not likely to drop, I'm basically looking at upper sidelines or lower endzone. Better view from the upper sidelines no doubt, and I'm sure the atmosphere will be fantastic throughout, but is it better in the lower endzone? I get a great view from TV, what I want is the most intense atmosphere going. :)

Trickums
25.04.2014, 08:59 PM
I was going to ask a similar question. Looked at the ticket exchanges as well and if the prices are typical and not likely to drop, I'm basically looking at upper sidelines or lower endzone. Better view from the upper sidelines no doubt, and I'm sure the atmosphere will be fantastic throughout, but is it better in the lower endzone? I get a great view from TV, what I want is the most intense atmosphere going. :)

Have been lucky enough to go twice (and tempted to go this year!). Both times the atmosphere was incredible - if you haven't been before and are doing one game I'd recommend paying the extra for lower tier. I was in block 150 I think and it was great view. The stadium has a view from seat function which is worth using too. Such a great experience, like nothing over here! If you have an evening ok be prepared to drink from about 10am-ish, Bourbon Street is packed and the drinks offers are great!

WhoDatMonkey87
26.04.2014, 08:00 PM

Haha glad it's not just me!

I managed to get out there last season, desperate to go back!

Trickums
26.04.2014, 09:45 PM
It is proving too tempting with all those home games together! Just trying to price it all up....! be good to get a few of us out there this year

beneaththetides
27.04.2014, 02:55 AM
Week 14 Panthers home game and week 17 Bucs away in December for me. Been to NOLA before, loved it, but it was offseason. One home, one away on the bucket list, shall be done!

martin3026
27.04.2014, 04:49 PM
Saints uk facebook page organised a trip last year took in two Saints games a visit to LSU stadium (no home game that week) high school play off game and a swamp tour, mardi gras tour, + other stuff.

A great way to meet fellow fans and not be on your own. Hit up sports travel tours and check out if there anything organised yet.

holdingrrr
28.04.2014, 09:12 AM
Well that's decided then. I'm going to sit lower end zone, hopefully saints side for the Monday night game against the Ravens. Probably go via Miami for a couple of nights. Then on to NOLA. Although those 3 home games in a row look very tempting I don't think I could get the time off and they clash with IS (Which I have season ticks for).
If anyone else is planning to be there then, give me a shout!
WhoDat!

James07
28.04.2014, 07:22 PM
I'm there for week 3 :D

Booked and paid block 132, staying at Bienville house for 7 nights 19th sept onwards, flying with Virgin from Manchester.

Can't wait!!!!!!

Please check out my thread if you've been before, posted earlier asking for advice!

alonso11
29.04.2014, 03:35 PM
Going to see them play the Bengals in November

any must go too places in New Orleans ......think im going to spend alot of money there ha!

guards1656
29.04.2014, 05:07 PM
Got all my tickets now ,Rams at Bucs, Cheifs at Dolphins, yankees at Rays

Sorted

mdaley
13.05.2014, 12:22 PM
Week 14 Panthers home game and week 17 Bucs away in December for me. Been to NOLA before, loved it, but it was offseason. One home, one away on the bucket list, shall be done!

Me too, I will do these two games. Tampa away is fun and always plenty of Saints fans.
Cant wait!

mdaley
13.05.2014, 12:30 PM
Saints uk facebook page organised a trip last year took in two Saints games a visit to LSU stadium (no home game that week) high school play off game and a swamp tour, mardi gras tour, + other stuff.

A great way to meet fellow fans and not be on your own. Hit up sports travel tours and check out if there anything organised yet.

And I can vouch for it as I went (with the Mrs). It was a great tour and martin3026 was our man on the ground. Although I have been lucky enough to get to NOLA quite a few times for Saints games, the tour did lots of cool stuff I had never done before. The Tailgate and High School game were both awesome.

mdaley
13.05.2014, 01:08 PM
I'm there for week 3 :D

Booked and paid block 132, staying at Bienville house for 7 nights 19th sept onwards, flying with Virgin from Manchester.

Can't wait!!!!!!

Please check out my thread if you've been before, posted earlier asking for advice!

Hey James07, well done, you will love it.
Just some thoughts a bit outside of the box for you..

Saints gear:
The Saints merchandise store is at the Superdome. Its about the only place that I have found that does the gameday Jerseys on a I need it now basis. If you go there as soon as you get there, you can get your own choice of player, but you have to go back to pick it up. When I was last there was only Brees and Graham available off the rack.
There is a very well know store in Metarie called the Black and Gold Sports Store:

http://www.blackandgoldsports.com/

If you can get there its worth going to as it has a slightly different range of Saints gear as the official store. Also, if you get to a Macys etc, they sometimes have better deals (and even stock) on Saints gear.

Tours:
If you do a river cruise, go on the Natchez rather than the Creole Queen if you want to go on a real steamer and a fancy more of a cruise (with food etc) rather than a tour. The Creole Queen is more touristy, this is good to do the Battlefield (if you are into history and dont mind going to a battlefield where the British were defeated!)
The plantation tours are always goof (Oak Alley etc) and you have to do a bayou tour!
Most of them are good but martin on the forum here knows really good ones.

Katrina tours a very interesting, we have done the Grayline one. You should do one.

Music:
If you are into music, you are in a good place. Dont forget to check out Kermit Ruffins who usually has a residency somewhere on a Tuesday night (His Thursday residency cancelled when I was there last season. Also, Frenchman Street is more local and a good alternative to the Quarter. But the Quarter is awesome, just watch those hurricanes at Pat Obriens as they can catch up on you..

I love the Rebirth Brass Band (they have a late night Tuesday residency). I guess you have heard of legends like Dr John too (who is in London in November).

If you dont watch it already, then get the Treme TV series out and watch it as well as Spike Lees Katrina vid. Its good to try to understand the soul of the place a little and these help a little.

Eating:
Everywhere is good but try going to Mothers on Poydras, its a tradition. Bengiets at Cafe Du Monde are another just oncer. Dont worry about Mannings, its pretty good if there is a sporting event on there but nothing really special otherwise. Probably try Mulates for a cajun night if you cant get out into Cajun country.

Saints radio:
WWL is great to listen to for Bobby Hebert and sports. You can listen to it online and access the podcasts to get ready for the trip!

UK Saints facebook page:
You may know this but there is a UK Saints facebook page:

http://www.facebook.com/NewOrleansSaintsFansuk?fref=ts

Martin is our man on the ground over there and is a top bloke.

Gameday:
What can i say, brilliant. Check out Champions Square if you have nothing else to do, right next to the stadium and it has bands, booze, babes (Cheerleaders), all the B's!

Volunteering:
If you really want to make a difference and locals will appreciate you even more, think about donating a day to do some voluntary work for Habitat for Humanity

http://www.habitat-nola.org/involved/volunteer

I have worked in the warehouse (I am no builder). Its a good way to meet people and do your bit for New Orleans. And putting in a little sweat really gives you that feeling like you are now a little bit of a part of NOLA.

Further out:
If you decide to get out of town and you dont mind a decent drive, Natchez is a very romantic and beautiful place to visit. You have lots of alternatives if you want to get out of town but if you decide to go here, you must stay in Bisland House - your hosts Christine and Byron are from New Orleans and are massive Saints fans and will take good care of you there! This is probably a good idea for your next trip.

Cant think of anything more at the mo, let me know if you have questions.
Cheers