PDA

View Full Version : Atlanta Falcons Thread

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5

towen5
06.04.2007, 04:48 PM
Why do all these none falcons fans come on OUR thread and abuse Michael Vick? I'll get proof all day long to defend him. He's the best QB we could have and he embodies everything about us.

Think we did a good job defending him Falcon91.

Sorry - but news flash. Its not YOUR thread. Its there for everyone to use and to argue their opinions and debate. The worst thing I see is when someone who doesnt support a team steps into another teams thread, makes a fair point and gets shouted down because they're of the wrong team.
\

sorry, i didnt mean it as in ours like that. i go on the skins thread sometimnes but only to contribute rather than slag their players off. everyones entitled to their opinons but sometimes i think people do it just to get a reaction. i just get fed up with the stick Vick gets.

sorry guys.

falcon_91
06.04.2007, 05:26 PM
I HATE the idea of moving up in this draft. We need OT, OG/C, DE, and FS together with depth at OG, CB, DT, WR, HB, LB and TE.

I'd rather hoard picks, address the first 4 on day 1, and use our day 2 picks to address many of our depth needs. In fact, I would seriosuly consider trading down to get 1 or 2 more picks in rounds 1-4 and try to address all of our holes in 1 draft.

we could fix 3 of those within the top 40 with one trade up. With the trade i showed we only lose 2 picks, that would still leave us with 8 picks i believe. I dont think we need anothe TE as we recently re-signed Blakley, and personnally i dont like the idea of TE taking up 3 spots, 2 should be enough.
DT - i think we need to wait and see how the FO deal with Grady sueing us, whether its just a plea for a big contract or whether its genuine.

falcon_91
06.04.2007, 05:27 PM
Joey Harrington-QB-Dolphins Apr. 6 - 10:39 am et

NFL Network's Adam Shefter reports that Joey Harrington will visit the Falcons this week.

Harrington is safely settling into the backup stage in his career. With Carolina having signed David Carr, there aren't a lot of available jobs left.

also apparently DE TIm Crowder visited us yesteray, could be agood 2nd rounder.

packerboy
06.04.2007, 09:08 PM
Why do all these none falcons fans come on OUR thread and abuse Michael Vick? I'll get proof all day long to defend him. He's the best QB we could have and he embodies everything about us.

Think we did a good job defending him Falcon91.

Sorry - but news flash. Its not YOUR thread. Its there for everyone to use and to argue their opinions and debate. The worst thing I see is when someone who doesnt support a team steps into another teams thread, makes a fair point and gets shouted down because they're of the wrong team.
\

sorry, i didnt mean it as in ours like that. i go on the skins thread sometimnes but only to contribute rather than slag their players off. everyones entitled to their opinons but sometimes i think people do it just to get a reaction. i just get fed up with the stick Vick gets.

sorry guys.

If you can't put up with it, support another team.

Also, Vick is better than Delhomme. Vick can put the ball on the money, but he tends to put a few yards either side. That's why you never see the Falcons receivers making amazing catches (or any that appear to be slightly hard, apart from Jenkins. He can one hand them :)). That's why Steve Smith looks so good. Delhomme always puts it stupid places and that's why Smith has amazing hands, he has to catch passes off of Delhomme every week. And Vick's arm is like a rocket.

FuJ
06.04.2007, 10:39 PM
^ i cant say i agree with any of that youve basically said WRs look better with worse QBs. Tell it to Harrison and Wayne.

packerboy
06.04.2007, 10:43 PM
^ i cant say i agree with any of that youve basically said WRs look better with worse QBs. Tell it to Harrison and Wayne.

That's not my point. My point is the Panthers receivers are better because of Delhommes inablility to be accurate. Meanwhile, everyone except Jenkins on the Falcons WR squad is worse.

nearmy05
06.04.2007, 10:47 PM

That's not my point. My point is the Panthers receivers are better because of Delhommes inablility to be accurate. Meanwhile, everyone except Jenkins on the Falcons WR squad is worse.

What a stupid comment. Have you ever even watched Panthers games.

falcon_91
06.04.2007, 10:51 PM
I think hes saying that a inaccurate QB can make Wrs look very good.

but a accurate QB can look bad because of his receivers.

part a = panthers
part b = falcons

packerboy
06.04.2007, 10:56 PM

Yes, you see that word better. It in no way means that the Panthers WR are bad. Infact they're all talented. But they make better looking catches beacuse of an inaccurate QB.

nearmy05
06.04.2007, 11:01 PM

Yes, you see that word better. It in no way means that the Panthers WR are bad. Infact they're all talented. But they make better looking catches beacuse of an inaccurate QB.

Dont at sometime or another all recivers make there QB look better than what there passes were .
Plus my fault mis read your comment . Sos

towen5
10.04.2007, 10:35 AM
what do you guys think of the harrington signing?

its good to have previous starter ready to step up and the guy has talent. can only add to the roster, cant see him staying longer than the two year contract though unless he gets some time at starter and impresses, even then he might leave to be a starter if we stick with vick.

falcon_91
10.04.2007, 03:00 PM
i think it could end up being a 1yr deal, depending on how the contract if, if its greatly backlogged then i think it'll only be a 1yr deal.

Overall im happy with it, i think Redman will go and shockley stay at #3

CRAIGFALCONS
11.04.2007, 06:11 PM
Here is the Falcons' schedule:

Sep 9 @Minnesota 1:00pm
Sep 16 @Jacksonville 1:00pm
Sep 23 Carolina 4:15pm
Sep 30 Houston 1:00pm
Oct 7 @Tennessee 1:00pm
Oct 15 N.Y. Giants 8:30pm
Oct 21 @New Orleans 1:00pm
Week 8 BYE
Nov 4 San Francisco 1:00pm
Nov 11 @Carolina 1:00pm
Nov 18 Tampa Bay 1:00pm
Nov 22 Indianapolis 8:15pm
Dec 2 @St. Louis 1:00pm
Dec 10 New Orleans 8:30pm
Dec 16 @Tampa Bay 1:00pm
Dec 23 @Arizona 4:05pm
Dec 30 Seattle 1:00pm

Gutted that the Falcons start off on the road at Minnesota then Jacksonville but then again should be a nice easy win for the Falcons first home game of the season...

;)

Looks like they've got two MNF games (subject to change of course during weeks 11-17). Can't get enough of the Falcons on the T.V! Bye week is in a better place than last season.

falcon_91
11.04.2007, 10:33 PM
15-1 seems like a possibility ;)

Soko
12.04.2007, 01:57 AM
Its a good schedule except for the start. 2 road games to open is horrible

towen5
12.04.2007, 10:18 AM
i wouldnt be so confident to say 15-1, i think 10-6 might be more realistic if not optimistic.

FuJ
12.04.2007, 10:30 AM
I think these four could be tricky games and id reckon falcons finish 11-5 dropping these games and another along the road.

Nov 22 Indianapolis 8:15pm
Dec 30 Seattle 1:00pm
Oct 21 @New Orleans 1:00pm

However as we all know falcons can win the big game and lose the easy ones so who knows (detriot and the browns last season for example.)

oglalakev
12.04.2007, 11:02 AM
What is the likelihood of Dunn still being the starter at RB for the Falcons next season?

If the Falcons are going for a more power running style, which seems to be the plan, then it's unlikely they would want to have a pairing of Dunn and Norwood as their starting RBs, so they could draft a more powerful RB and pair him with either Dunn or Norwood. Since Norwood has the greater upside it would seem Dunn would have a much reduced role or simply be moved on. Or is it likely he would be kept as starter with more carries going to other runners?
I like Dunn and he has done well for the Falcons (and for my fantasy football teams as 2nd/3rd RB in the last 2 seasons) but the new regime doesn't appear to suit him and if it comes down to choosing between him and Norwood I think Norwood has to get the vote as he has a good future.

Basically I wanted to know if he is likely to be on his way of Atlanta?

towen5
12.04.2007, 11:29 AM
IMO i think we will try and get michael bush in the 2nd round and pair him with dunn for one season. then dunn will leave next season and we will have bush and norwood as a pair.

Jay Jenkins
12.04.2007, 11:34 AM
Norwood is class, he should be starter next year. As for the season i see the falcons going 10-6/11-5 i'm a bit stuck on the 2nd game of the season, very hard game for the falcs but nonetheless great year for them

Khaled
12.04.2007, 01:03 PM
IMO i think we will try and get michael bush in the 2nd round and pair him with dunn for one season. then dunn will leave next season and we will have bush and norwood as a pair.

Reach.

Bush could drop to day 2 (and probably should because he's such an injury risk) so the earliest I'd even think about trading for him would be the 3rd. That said, he's probably not the power back we need to provide a compliment.

I wasn't impressed with Dunn last year ... 1st and 10, became 2nd and 9 far too often when he was given the ball and he lacked explosiveness and didn't really cut back well. That said he was apparently injured last year so we'll see how he performs this year, especially since his role should be reduced to allow the more explosive Norwood to get some more touches.

How we upgrade in the draft (especially the O-line) will probably determine how well our season goes. I imagine we'll be better then last year regardless, and look for improvements of talent especially at QB and WR

Vick07Falcons
12.04.2007, 01:28 PM
Norwood is class, he should be starter next year. As for the season i see the falcons going 10-6/11-5 i'm a bit stuck on the 2nd game of the season, very hard game for the falcs but nonetheless great year for them

I'm not that confident. 9-7 at best, unless Petrino's idea for the offense works perfectly.

falcon_91
12.04.2007, 07:28 PM
What is the likelihood of Dunn still being the starter at RB for the Falcons next season?

If the Falcons are going for a more power running style, which seems to be the plan, then it's unlikely they would want to have a pairing of Dunn and Norwood as their starting RBs, so they could draft a more powerful RB and pair him with either Dunn or Norwood. Since Norwood has the greater upside it would seem Dunn would have a much reduced role or simply be moved on. Or is it likely he would be kept as starter with more carries going to other runners?
I like Dunn and he has done well for the Falcons (and for my fantasy football teams as 2nd/3rd RB in the last 2 seasons) but the new regime doesn't appear to suit him and if it comes down to choosing between him and Norwood I think Norwood has to get the vote as he has a good future.

Basically I wanted to know if he is likely to be on his way of Atlanta?

I think Dunn will be the starter atleast this year, if we get a brusier to take goal line situations of him, i reckon he will almost have a new lease o life, i can see him being on top for 2-3 years more.

I think these four could be tricky games and id reckon falcons finish 11-5 dropping these games and another along the road.
However as we all know falcons can win the big game and lose the easy ones so who knows (detriot and the browns last season for example.)

im pretty confident of a win, i dont fear the jags :P

towen5
12.04.2007, 08:14 PM

Reach.

Bush could drop to day 2 (and probably should because he's such an injury risk) so the earliest I'd even think about trading for him would be the 3rd. That said, he's probably not the power back we need to provide a compliment.

I wasn't impressed with Dunn last year ... 1st and 10, became 2nd and 9 far too often when he was given the ball and he lacked explosiveness and didn't really cut back well. That said he was apparently injured last year so we'll see how he performs this year, especially since his role should be reduced to allow the more explosive Norwood to get some more touches.

How we upgrade in the draft (especially the O-line) will probably determine how well our season goes. I imagine we'll be better then last year regardless, and look for improvements of talent especially at QB and WR

petrino coached him in college and loved his style of running. i think he would take the risk of the injury. i just hope we get landry in the draft and not someone else.

falcon_91
12.04.2007, 08:19 PM
yeh, but because of the injury, Bush will be available in the 3rd round (im 99& sure of it)

in the the 1st 2 rounds we need to go, S,O-line and DE, in some order. I wouldnt mind him in the 3rd, but he could drop along way, and we have needs other than a RB

towen5
12.04.2007, 10:06 PM
yeh, but because of the injury, Bush will be available in the 3rd round (im 99& sure of it)

in the the 1st 2 rounds we need to go, S,O-line and DE, in some order. I wouldnt mind him in the 3rd, but he could drop along way, and we have needs other than a RB

i can see the sense in that.

towen5
15.04.2007, 01:45 PM
one of our young RB's T. Henderson played quite well in NFL Europa this weekend.

towen5
21.04.2007, 09:57 AM
i just read on nfl.com that the redskins might swap picks in return for our third round. what do you guys think about it?

oglalakev
21.04.2007, 10:00 AM
perhaps talk of the Vikings being interested in Landry would make the Falcons want to move up to get him.

towen5
22.04.2007, 12:36 AM
perhaps talk of the Vikings being interested in Landry would make the Falcons want to move up to get him.

a lot of people think that if we dont swap the redskins may want landry to pair with taylor.

packerboy
22.04.2007, 12:37 AM

a lot of people think that if we dont swap the redskins may want landry to pair with taylor.

2 Free safteys? probaly not a good idea.

Dawkins#20
22.04.2007, 12:59 AM

pshh its the redskins what do u expect?

towen5
22.04.2007, 01:06 AM

pshh its the redskins what do u expect?

landry can play either, hes good in coverage as well as against the run.

Gman84
22.04.2007, 01:16 AM
The Redskins would move Taylor to SS if they did draft Landry. I do think the redskins like Landry and would love to draft him. If they had a full complement of picks, I think they'd take him and address DL in round 2 but as it is, if the Falcons offered a pick to move up to #6 and be sure to get Landry, the Redskins would take it.

towen5
22.04.2007, 01:32 PM
http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/NFL_SC-RUMOR

theres another rumour we may trade to number 2 to try and get calvin johnson. even if he does go first, that gives us the opportunity to pick joe thomas, laron landry, or jamarcus russell, who we could then trade away ala eli manning.

although there is an argument for keeping the picks and building a squad.

falcon_91
22.04.2007, 01:44 PM
SAY NO TO CJ

we could become the next Detriot, 3 1st round WRs. I dont understand why people think that giving up a bunch of picks, giving up on our 2 previous 1st round WRs and over looking real problems will make us improve.

Where would CJ fit in? #1 - ahead of horn?, #2 - ahead of Jenkins who had a decent eason and got a fair few amount of TDs. So he would be #3- kicking out Roddy White. There is no need for him, and all we do is leave our secondary, o-line and d-line, unattended, til the later rounds.

towen5
22.04.2007, 01:46 PM
SAY NO TO CJ

we could become the next Detriot, 3 1st round WRs. I dont understand why people think that giving up a bunch of picks, giving up on our 2 previous 1st round WRs and over looking real problems will make us improve.

Where would CJ fit in? #1 - ahead of horn?, #2 - ahead of Jenkins who had a decent eason and got a fair few amount of TDs. So he would be #3- kicking out Roddy White. There is no need for him, and all we do is leave our secondary, o-line and d-line, unattended, til the later rounds.

i understand you're point and im not saying its right to trade for him, but he is an unremarkable talent that is likely to be a pro bowler for years to come.

Giants_27
22.04.2007, 01:51 PM
Hes the best talent since Randy Moss and he would anyone.

towen5
22.04.2007, 01:53 PM
Hes the best talent since Randy Moss and he would anyone.

i just dont think we should miss out on a talent like that, especially as we are gettin another 2nd round next year of the texans. if you want a long term plan for improvement, then you need to take these kind of players when you can.

falcon_91
22.04.2007, 02:00 PM
moving upto #2 would cost more than our 1st and a 2nd.

it would cost our 1st, both 2nd rounders and our 3rd rounder. (all from this year)

And why are you giving up on Jenkins and White they are both 1st rounders, they both have talent and potential, they where both thrust inbto the starting line up probably to quickly, give them time.

People act like CJ will be straight of the bat brilliant, he himself will take time to learn the PB etc. and isnt going to be a top 5 WR overnight.

While he is probably the best player in the draft it doesnt mean he is the best player for us to get.

towen5
22.04.2007, 02:22 PM
he's the most ready to play player in this years draft.

falcon_91
22.04.2007, 03:07 PM
yes he is ready to play physically, im not doubting that.

But he doesnt know our PB, he has gotten in practice with Mike Vick so he doesnt know his tendancies.

If you can give me one good valid reason why Getting CJ is better than, improving our o-line so vick has time to pass, improving our secondary so we dont keep getting beat deep, improving our pass rush/ replacing Kerney so that opposing QB dont have all day to look read and make the throw, and pretty much giving up on our previous 1st round picks who have pnly had 2 and 3 years in the league respectively, (and one of those has been injured in both season) Then i will be all for it.

But how will CJ be better than doing all of those things

towen5
24.04.2007, 06:29 PM
falcons resign demorrio williams.

Giants_27
24.04.2007, 07:16 PM
i can see roddy white having a big year, he was improoving at the end of last year. Will crumpler still be vicks biggest target with the sighnings of horn and have you sighned bryant.

falcon_91
24.04.2007, 09:31 PM
i can see roddy white having a big year, he was improoving at the end of last year. Will crumpler still be vicks biggest target with the sighnings of horn and have you sighned bryant.

well with Petrino supposedly airing out our offense i think Crumpler wont be so relied on and as long as Horn and Vick get some sort of rythm i think Horn will get alot of passes his way.
I had a look and cnt find anything on us signing Bryant, where did you see/hear that?

Giants_27
25.04.2007, 04:00 PM
I must have mis read it on NFL.com.

falcon_91
25.04.2007, 09:56 PM
its cool, i dont want him :P

Roque
25.04.2007, 10:36 PM
he is an unremarkable talent that is likely to be a pro bowler for years to come.

Bit harsh on the guy. How many times have you been labelled the "best player" in a draft class for anything ever?

towen5
26.04.2007, 08:32 PM
he is an unremarkable talent that is likely to be a pro bowler for years to come.

Bit harsh on the guy. How many times have you been labelled the "best player" in a draft class for anything ever?

sorry meant remarkable lol.

Giants_27
26.04.2007, 08:43 PM
What do you guys think of DJ Shockley is he a right handed vick?

falcon_91
26.04.2007, 09:50 PM
Well he was a one year starter when we drafted him so he's still pretty raw. In preseason he looked decent, but with Harrington now in the picture he will more than likely have to be traded for anyone to see more of him. Certainly has Vick type arm strength.

Giants_27
27.04.2007, 06:35 AM
I think if you keep him 3rd string, he will learn a lot off Harrington and Vick and we might see him second string in a couple of years. i think he is a project player.

towen5
27.04.2007, 05:26 PM
well if all this crap about vick doesnt go away and harrington becomes a starter if there is a ban then we may see him in action as a second string.

towen5
29.04.2007, 11:57 AM
im more than happy with our 2nd round choices!!! first round was ok but i maybe would have prefered okoye but he picked a guy in a more needy position so no probs! just michael bush in the 4th!

does anyone know about anything about laurent robinson???

it looks like hes just small schooler who got injured a lot, but his numbers are quite good.

falcon_91
29.04.2007, 04:52 PM
I guess Jimmy williams will be moving to FS, with our selection of Chris Houston. Im happy with Blalock, man #6 and #7 really fudged us up,Landry was the guy i really wanted, and if Peterson had dropped, we would of been able to trade down.

towen5
29.04.2007, 06:27 PM
I guess Jimmy williams will be moving to FS, with our selection of Chris Houston. Im happy with Blalock, man #6 and #7 really fudged us up,Landry was the guy i really wanted, and if Peterson had dropped, we would of been able to trade down.

i think it turned out perfect for us because if we had got landry then we wouldnt have picked houston which was a steal that late on, and would have had to go for a DE. there werent many top quality ones left at that point. also, if levi brown had been picked at 8 then we wouldnt have got blalock, who was also a possible 1st rounder.

falcon_91
29.04.2007, 07:27 PM
id of preffered Landry and blalock :P

but its not the worst draft ever, would of liked to of got a big RB, has Tony hint been picked yet? (missed the whole first day >:( )

Vick07Falcons
30.04.2007, 12:00 AM
id of preffered Landry and blalock :P

but its not the worst draft ever, would of liked to of got a big RB, has Tony hint been picked yet? (missed the whole first day >:( )

We had one of the best drafts, at least top 5, so there's nothing really to complain about.

falcon_91
30.04.2007, 12:06 AM
Yeh, before that was my own ego coming out :P

ive sseen some people siggesting it is the best draft since 01, when we got Vick, Crump, Forney, Garza and Stewart.

Which is possibly true.
I cant wait til wk1 because i think Anderson Blalock and houston all have chances of starting right of the bat

Vick07Falcons
30.04.2007, 12:07 AM
Yeh, before that was my own ego coming out :P

ive sseen some people siggesting it is the best draft since 01, when we got Vick, Crump, Forney, Garza and Stewart.

Which is possibly true.
I cant wait til wk1 because i think Anderson Blalock and houston all have chances of starting right of the bat

Blalock definitely will, and Anderson probably will too, Houston could be the nickleback, not really sure yet.

falcon_91
30.04.2007, 12:14 AM
yh if houston doesnt start day 1 i think he could possibl ycome in around mid-way season but i thought the same about j-will last year :-\
did you see that video of our 6th rounder Stone jumping over a car it's amazing!

also d-mo could be injured so our 4th round Nicholas could be starter at the beginning

towen5
30.04.2007, 12:21 AM
do you guys think that the 6th rounf center might start? todd mcclure is a greater zone blocking center but he's not big enough for the new system, this new guys is like 20/30 pounds heavier and a couple of inches taller.

falcon_91
30.04.2007, 12:36 AM
Yeh its i think there will def be a starting battle as the new guy would seem to fit Petrinos blocking system better.

http://boards.atlantafalcons.com/index.php?showtopic=245591 - Mckay discusses 2nd round picks (houston and blalock) seems we tryed moving up for one of the 2 but got them both!

towen5
01.05.2007, 03:42 PM
cant believe colemans injured, this could ruin what was looking like a promising season. coleman will miss about 3 weeks at the start when we need good wins on the road. grady jackson is still suing us and probably wont return and babineux maybe banned for killed that dog, and is also quite small.

towen5
01.05.2007, 03:49 PM
lets all pray for walter thomas to join us......

towen5
07.05.2007, 10:32 AM
www.tokenleaguefootball.com (http://www.tokenleaguefootball.com)

check it out. load of falcons fans on it.

towen5
09.05.2007, 09:19 PM
we signed a new tackle :D Leandro Jordan

falcon_91
09.05.2007, 09:51 PM
he'll probably just battle it out for back up LT i dont really see him pushing out Gandy.

falcon_91
11.05.2007, 04:30 PM
Falcons terminate contract of CB Webster
By Chris Pika, AF.com
May 10, 2007

The Falcons terminated the contract of veteran CB Jason Webster on Thursday.

Webster (5-9, 187 pounds) played in eight games with seven starts in 2006 for Atlanta. He posted 47 total tackles (38 solo) with two interceptions, one forced fumble and five passes defensed. He was inactive for seven consecutive games before he was placed on Reserve/Injured on Dec. 30.

In three seasons after signing with the Falcons as an unrestricted free agent in 2004 from San Francisco, Webster had 178 tackles in 33 games (29 starts).

The Texas A&M product has played in 86 games with 73 starts in his career.

yey

morris2k
11.05.2007, 11:35 PM
Quality !!!!!!!, that is a great move.

curiousgeorge
15.05.2007, 07:15 AM
sorry to hear about this, finneran is one of the falcons i actually like:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2870483

ESPN's Len Pasquarelli reports Brian Finneran likely tore his ACL again during the Falcons' recent round of minicamps.
If true, Finneran will go on injured reserve after suffering the same injury that cost him all of the 2006 season. The possession wideout was expected to compete for Atlanta's third-receiver position, but his career could be over. The job will likely now fall to Roddy White or rookie Laurent Robinson. May. 14 - 9:01 pm et
Source: ESPN.com

hope it all works out for him

falcon_91
15.05.2007, 06:48 PM
i think finneran will be cut(sad to say) as we have a lot of youth at WR, White, Jennings and robinson, a 3rd yr player, 2nd yr player and a rookie, And if he is kept finn will probably just be put on IR from what some reports say.

FuJ
15.05.2007, 07:43 PM
with all this bad luck happening to him with injurys he should of been on the madden cover 4 times in a row already!

Donners
30.05.2007, 02:19 PM
Guys I am really getting tired of this Vick story. Now I hear that the investigation is going to last anything from 9- 14 months!! So that means this story is gonna hover over our QB all season, even if we go to the superbowl you can hear all the "dog questions".

Black athletes will be treated differently to white players anywhere they go which is pretty sad but think about the Pat Kerney allegations - a girl gets gang raped in HIS OWN HOUSE WHILST HE IS THERE and the story goes away!!!!

I ask you what is a worse crime?

T-Jack7TD
19.07.2007, 06:20 PM
So do you think that if Goodell does not suspend Vickdo you think that Blank will sit him. If he does this i think that you might have to get C-Pep or have Joey ( who has somehow got another chance to proove hgim self} or maybe DJ Shockley starting.

FuJ
20.07.2007, 12:15 AM
neither harrington on shockley can be season long Qb's coz tbh they are poo.
Culpepper might still leave us in the crapper if we bought him due to his injury and lack of good form so i cant see falcons puttin money in that pot.
I dont think blanks gonna bench him, i know there will be alot more pressure on vick for it but i think he owes it to the team to put in a good effort while this investigation goes on.
and donners we aint gettin to the superbowl anyway so dont worry mate :D

psj3809
20.07.2007, 07:24 AM
Guys I am really getting tired of this Vick story. Now I hear that the investigation is going to last anything from 9- 14 months!! So that means this story is gonna hover over our QB all season, even if we go to the superbowl you can hear all the "dog questions".

Black athletes will be treated differently to white players anywhere they go which is pretty sad but think about the Pat Kerney allegations - a girl gets gang raped in HIS OWN HOUSE WHILST HE IS THERE and the story goes away!!!!

Oh for gods sake, why do we always have to bring colour into it !

If ANY white player was found of doing something like this there would be uproar as dog fighting is barbaric like anything. Its NOT a race thing at all.

Why are you getting tired of it ? Because you are a biased Falcs fan. I'm not a huge fan of Vick but hes a great player to watch when hes on fire and hes been very interesting seeing his development the last few years.

MANY black leaders (Al Sharpton and others) have criticised Vick for this, are they being racist ?

Granted we live in a world where a drunk driver kills someone and gets a small sentence or a paedophile seems to somehow get a 6 month sentence and thats it when those crimes should be much bigger but dont bring up a single case saying its unfair the way Vick is being treated by the media.

NFL players sadly get treated differently, look at Jamal Lewis, Ray Lewis, Leonard Little the classic example.

Vicks one of the biggest sports stars in the US, something like this wont just go away. Reading your biased view also is disgusting. If a Raiders player was involved in something like this whoever it was i would want him off the team. Someone getting raped is obviously a worse crime but are you saying if you do dogfighting you shouldnt get a sentence ? All because there 'seems' to be a bad miscarriage of justice regarding that **** case you mentioned doesnt mean other cases should be ignored.

If your 3rd string QB or 5th string WR was involved in this then months ago he would have been cut but no as its Vick lets not do that until we're practically forced to.

T-Jack7TD
20.07.2007, 07:58 AM
neither harrington on shockley can be season long Qb's coz tbh they are poo.
Culpepper might still leave us in the crapper if we bought him due to his injury and lack of good form so i cant see falcons puttin money in that pot.
I dont think blanks gonna bench him, i know there will be alot more pressure on vick for it but i think he owes it to the team to put in a good effort while this investigation goes on.
and donners we aint gettin to the superbowl anyway so dont worry mate :D

How do you shockley is crap when he hasnt played a game yet. and i think harrington will turn his carear around with the falcons but the running game will have to help him.

Soko
20.07.2007, 10:47 AM

Oh for gods sake, why do we always have to bring colour into it !

If ANY white player was found of doing something like this there would be uproar as dog fighting is barbaric like anything. Its NOT a race thing at all.

Why are you getting tired of it ? Because you are a biased Falcs fan. I'm not a huge fan of Vick but hes a great player to watch when hes on fire and hes been very interesting seeing his development the last few years.

MANY black leaders (Al Sharpton and others) have criticised Vick for this, are they being racist ?

Granted we live in a world where a drunk driver kills someone and gets a small sentence or a paedophile seems to somehow get a 6 month sentence and thats it when those crimes should be much bigger but dont bring up a single case saying its unfair the way Vick is being treated by the media.

NFL players sadly get treated differently, look at Jamal Lewis, Ray Lewis, Leonard Little the classic example.

Vicks one of the biggest sports stars in the US, something like this wont just go away. Reading your biased view also is disgusting. If a Raiders player was involved in something like this whoever it was i would want him off the team. Someone getting raped is obviously a worse crime but are you saying if you do dogfighting you shouldnt get a sentence ? All because there 'seems' to be a bad miscarriage of justice regarding that **** case you mentioned doesnt mean other cases should be ignored.

If your 3rd string QB or 5th string WR was involved in this then months ago he would have been cut but no as its Vick lets not do that until we're practically forced to.

2 months ago, well done

FuJ
20.07.2007, 10:59 AM
Motor City
How do you shockley is crap when he hasnt played a game yet. and i think harrington will turn his carear around with the falcons but the running game will have to help him.

I dont think either of them will be anything more than back ups or 3rd string and ive never had any faith in Harrington hes just one of those players whose always on the edge he can have good moments and bad moments and those bad moments can cost a team big. And i think the bad outweighs the good in his situation. i cant see him being an improved player in ATL.

batemans25
20.07.2007, 12:29 PM
Silly question [not in good taste]

Are the Falcons scheduled to play in front of the 'Dog Pound' this season?

???

T-Jack7TD
25.07.2007, 05:21 PM
July 24, 2007) -- Now that they have faced the media regarding the Michael Vick situation, the business of putting the best team on the field is the challenge facing the Atlanta Falcons front office and coaching staff right now.

Here are the things Atlanta likely will look into when camp gets going July 26 without Vick:

1. Without Vick, someone has to pick up the slack in the area of throws per practice. Instead of four quarterbacks throwing at every practice, there will be only three arms working, and in less than one week -- or 14 practices -- someone's arm is going to be dragging. So they must think about getting another camp arm right away. How about former NFL Europa star J.T. O'Sullivan?

2. Put the personnel department on overtime working to evaluate the quarterback depth on all 31 teams. Philadelphia, Chicago, Tampa Bay and Cleveland might be good places to start. The Falcons don't expect to trade for a big-time starter at this point, but they might get a shot at a solid player who could be their No. 2 behind Joey Harrington. Kelly Holcomb in Philadelphia would be a guy I would go sometime after the second preseason game. No team is going to move a backup quarterback much earlier than that and leave itself vulnerable.

3. There doesn't appear to be any interest in Daunte Culpepper, Drew Bledsoe or Vick's cousin, Aaron Brooks, so don't count on any of those players being signed now or later. Of course, if Harrington were to get hurt early in camp, then all bets are off.

4. Take all phone calls from teams around the league who might feel they have an answer to the Falcons' quarterback situation.

5. Decide as quickly as possible if D.J. Shockley or Chris Redman can take over this football team if Harrington gets injured or falters. Then decide how much of the original offense, put in while Vick was at the facility, still can be used with the rest of the quarterbacks on the roster.

Finally, with brand new head coach Bobby Petrino trying to set this team up in his image and establish how things are going to be for years to come, this is a big challenge. An offense developed around Harrington will be a lot more conservative looking, but could be just as effective.

Who is Atlanta's real quarterback of the future? Most likely, he is still in college right now, and this is just a bump in the road.

from NFL.com

CRAIGFALCONS
25.07.2007, 08:36 PM
As if things weren't bad enough for the Falcons. Direct from ESPN.com.

Atlanta Falcons running back Warrick Dunn underwent surgery for a herniated disc last week and is expected to miss six weeks, which would encompass all of training camp, ESPN's Ed Werder reported Wednesday.

It's the second surgery the 32-year-old has had since the Falcons completed a 7-9 season. In January, he had arthroscopic surgery for a damaged shoulder that bothered him much of the season. At the time, the team said that Dunn would need several months of rehabilitation before he's able to resume football workouts but was expected to make a full recovery.

The 10-year veteran started every game for the third year in a row. Dunn had a career-high 286 carries and rushed for 1,140 yards.

Soko
25.07.2007, 09:50 PM
Eh, not that bad. Norwood is better anyway but we Dunn to stop him getting worn down

SteButt
26.07.2007, 07:35 PM
I wonder whether Blank and the Falcons consider this option if they think they can get under the cap?

Certainly would move all the attention onto Vick and allow the Falcs to concentrate on trying to win.

Falcons' cap ramifications if Vick is released

By Pat Kirwan
NFL.com Senior Analyst

(July 26, 2007) -- I was in France all last week and learned that even the French have an opinion about what to do with Michael Vick. We all hear the different options: a leave of absence with pay; a leave without pay; a year-long suspension; status quo, maybe termination. And anything in between.

Commissioner Roger Goodell has ordered Vick not to report to camp and has told the Falcons to hold off on any team discipline. It's a great move on two levels: It permits the Falcons to start camp without Vick, thereby creating less turmoil around the facility; and it buys time to decide the ultimate fate of the player.

Vick deserves due process like any other American and the Falcons need to study their options. As the season gets closer and the final rosters to be declared, there will be another major decision that will be made. As one personnel man said, "The lawyers are going to make this messy no matter which way the league and the club decide to go. At that point it may be in the best interest of the Falcons to release Vick and walk away from all the headaches."

If Michael Vick is out, QB Joey Harrington could be Atlanta's opening day starter.
The Falcons coaches can resolve their 2007 quarterback situation with Vick out of the equation. It may be Joey Harrington or it may be another quarterback currently on another roster.

We are not saying the Falcons should release Vick today, but we do want to clear up the misconception that Atlanta cannot afford to cut Vick for financial reasons. That is not necessarily accurate. There are a lot of numbers floating around, but these are the contract numbers the Falcons are studying:

As of July 20, the Falcons sat with $5,817,795 of salary cap space. Vick is No. 1 on the team's ledger with a $13,579,577 cap charge. But if he is released before the final 53-man roster is determined they will get back $6 million in cap space by terminating him before opening day. Combining their present space with a Vick termination and that would create $11,817,795 of cap space. Consider that Atlanta's rookie pool allocation to sign its draft picks is $6,171,000 -- so the franchise would easily have enough space to sign all the rookies and plenty left over to absorb the salary of a quarterback it might trade for, or to extend some young players.

Because it is after June 1, the Falcons would not have to take the big hit on the Vick signing bonus until next year. So in 2008, the Falcons would have to absorb the $14,682,000 charge for all the bonus money paid to Vick that was being spread out over the length of the contract. At the same time, the salary cap next year probably will go up by $5 million to the $115 million range, give or take a few million. Vick's hit will still leave the Falcons with $100 million to field a team. Keep in mind, the Texans are presently taking a salary cap hit well over $20 million for players they released … yet they are getting better.

Falcons general manager Rich McKay knows how to absorb the big hit in 2008 and still help new head coach Bobby Petrino build his team.

Petrino will have a year under his belt and will be in a much better position to change personnel. There are some older players who average 12 years of experience -- Wayne Gandy, Lawyer Milloy, Warrick Dunn and Grady Jackson -- who have contracts for 2008, but might not still be there. This will create even more space while the Falcons are in transition.

As one GM said, "A clean break at the right time may be the only way to keep all the lawyers, union officials and protestors out of the process." If and when the Falcons decide to release Vick, they will pull out a form from their files that has four boxes on it. They will be required to check the box that states the reason Vick is being terminated, should they decide to go in that direction.

If the Falcons decide to keep him and pay him it will cost a lot more. As one former Falcon said, "We aren't going anywhere this season, so it may be time to change the roster." If Michael is on that Falcons roster on Sept. 2, his $6 million is guaranteed.

Jacks Jets
01.08.2007, 12:33 AM
http://img404.imageshack.us/img404/3359/vickdog13rw1.gif

:D ;)

falcon_91
01.08.2007, 12:43 AM
http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/2011/gayzc1.gif

limited edition mate worth more now ;)

and id prefer a VIck jersey over Pennington

Jacks Jets
01.08.2007, 01:03 AM
http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/2011/gayzc1.gif

limited edition mate worth more now ;)

and id prefer a VIck jersey over Pennington

LOL, I have both (no guesses as to which one I prefer)

falcon_91
01.08.2007, 01:56 AM
Vick..you have some sense

Jacks Jets
01.08.2007, 08:42 AM
Vick..you have some sense

Unlike him.

towen5
06.08.2007, 11:54 PM
i have to say ive watched all the interviews with most of the players and im really looking forward to this season. i cant wait to see harrington prove everyone wrong and our defence tear people apart.

ive had two £15 bets with mate who is a redskin fan - 1. falcons beat 8-8 2. Jason Campbell doesnt make the pro bowl

30 quid easy.

slyheroleon
07.08.2007, 09:28 AM
i have to say ive watched all the interviews with most of the players and im really looking forward to this season. i cant wait to see harrington prove everyone wrong and our defence tear people apart.

ive had two £15 bets with mate who is a redskin fan - 1. falcons beat 8-8 2. Jason Campbell doesnt make the pro bowl

30 quid easy.

Campbell will struggle to make the probowl in a conference with Brees, Bulger, Hasselbeck, Leinart, Mcnabb, as for the Falcons, even if it comes in you could've got better odds on an exchange or something.

askey07
07.08.2007, 03:04 PM
Just watched NFL-Total Access on SS3 and Terrell Davis has given a 6-10 season for the Falcons after he did a "season preview" on the Falcons... I am hoping for a better season than 6-10, hopefully a 9-7 and with Harrington to guide us towards a wild card spot.

curiousgeorge
07.08.2007, 03:17 PM
you'll be lucky to get 6-10 this season imo

Soko
07.08.2007, 07:43 PM

The NFC South is horrible, 8-8 is well achieveable

towen5
07.08.2007, 10:37 PM

cant see panthers doing much better, or the bucs. its a straight shot between us and the saints. panthers are average and havent really done much to improve on last season apart from a few draft picks. without steve smith and peppers they'd be nothing.

curiousgeorge
08.08.2007, 05:31 PM

cant see panthers doing much better, or the bucs. its a straight shot between us and the saints. panthers are average and havent really done much to improve on last season apart from a few draft picks. without steve smith and peppers they'd be nothing.

i really can't be bothered arguing with this post, i think i'll just let the season play out

askey07
10.08.2007, 10:26 PM

i really can't be bothered arguing with this post, i think i'll just let the season play out

If you were going to let the season play out, then whya re you saying what your division rivals are going to get and posting on their thread. Surely you should be more worried about your team as you've got a lot to worry about.

Dawkins#20
10.08.2007, 11:26 PM
looking forward 2 seeing a lot of norwood this preseason was watching him a lot in last years preseason and he was awesome 2 watch so many big plays. was kinda like watching Westbrook when we first got him. looked like he could break a big play any time

falcon_91
11.08.2007, 03:27 PM
looking forward 2 seeing a lot of norwood this preseason was watching him a lot in last years preseason and he was awesome 2 watch so many big plays. was kinda like watching Westbrook when we first got him. looked like he could break a big play any time

If we can get him the ball on the sideline with a yard or 2 in space he will be electric

curiousgeorge
11.08.2007, 10:10 PM

If you were going to let the season play out, then whya re you saying what your division rivals are going to get and posting on their thread. Surely you should be more worried about your team as you've got a lot to worry about.

i just didnt seem to see the point in arguing with towen's post. when someone says that the falcons are on a par with the saints there's no hope in trying to change their mind

macky81
12.08.2007, 12:37 PM
I watched the Falcons game the other night and the up coming season and i wouldn't say its looking good for you, there were no real threats from your offense :-\

falcon_91
12.08.2007, 12:40 PM
Laurent robinson http://img146.imageshack.us/img146/3919/cheerleadersmileyym2kr2.gif
I think we will get a tonne more rushing TDs though as Snelling looked like he will be a major upgrade on Dunn in goal line situations.

andy82
12.08.2007, 06:28 PM

I thought I'd never say this, but the Saints are undisputed in the NFC South. Oh, and the Panthers are a lot better than the Falcons on paper.

FuJ
12.08.2007, 09:05 PM
falcons i think will finish 3rd in the nfc south this season even then im pretty scared of finishing 4th behind the buccs. Basically if the saints play like they did last year its all sewn up. Who knows what the panthers will do they are more unpredictable than Rex Grossman.

FuJ
12.08.2007, 09:08 PM
I watched the Falcons game the other night and the up coming season and i wouldn't say its looking good for you, there were no real threats from your offense :-\

ohh cmon man the starters must have had 3 plays and im sure in that i saw 1 pretty nice catch by Horn. Then shockley hit the field and his accuracy is horendous from what i saw so i dont even think our reserve wideouts got a chance there.
Also im gonna use the ever classic phrase "its the preseason" and im sure a different outfit will turn up to the field on day 1 and for once i have some hope in our receiving core.

falcon_91
12.08.2007, 09:29 PM
Most annoying thing for me was that Jets 1st team didnt pass, i really wanted to see our new pass rush. Didnt seem like Abe was pushing 100% though...sensible if he got injured i would be so annoyed

curiousgeorge
12.08.2007, 09:49 PM
i found it funny that when the jets passed for the first time chris houston completely manhandled the receiver, he didnt even try to hide it lol. get used to seeing a lot of that during the season :D

falcon_91
12.08.2007, 09:52 PM
hes a physical CB, part of the reason he was so good 1 on 1. He'll adapt though...although that interference call better not stick in his mind. It'd take away a chunk of his game if he went soft

FuJ
14.08.2007, 09:11 AM
a quick kick in the recievers man parts before the play starts when the refs not looking thats the best way to play physical corner.

I cant see to much depth in our cornerback situation at the moment though maybe the "best in the game" as he himself reminds us should step up this year.

Riggo
14.08.2007, 09:58 AM
I think now that Vick is officially out for the season it will make the situation better for all involved.

falcon_91
14.08.2007, 01:29 PM
a quick kick in the recievers man parts before the play starts when the refs not looking thats the best way to play physical corner.

I cant see to much depth in our cornerback situation at the moment though maybe the "best in the game" as he himself reminds us should step up this year.

theres depth its just mainly young guys.. D'hall Houston Irons and sanders are all under 26 (i think). And crocker will probably play some nickle if J-Will does properly win FS spot.

falcon_91
18.08.2007, 02:13 PM
If anyone wants to see highlights of the falcons vs Bills try this
http://buffalobills.com/multimedia/index.html
then click on the preseason game 2..its not a great view (touchline) but it does :)

T-Jack7TD
19.08.2007, 07:00 PM
shockly is having an MRI scan, hope its not serious.

T-Jack7TD
20.08.2007, 02:13 PM
its serious hes out for the season.

davlar
20.08.2007, 08:38 PM
Breaking news on nfl.com says that Vick will make a plea deal and do jail time between 10 and 12 months.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d8019d902&template=without-video&confirm=true

Bit of a problem with the link there, but it's on nfl.com main page.

FuJ
20.08.2007, 10:58 PM
i dont really know alot about the legal sentance for this sort of issue but if it was anyone else would they be doin a hell of a lot more time even with the plea deal?

falcon_91
20.08.2007, 11:06 PM
i dont really know alot about the legal sentance for this sort of issue but if it was anyone else would they be doin a hell of a lot more time even with the plea deal?

I tryed finding out, but couldnt find anything about the other guys plea agreement(to do with their sentence)

although as they are saying Vick financed it, he will get longer as he would be seen as the ring leader

Borat
24.08.2007, 07:35 AM

I thought I'd never say this, but the Saints are undisputed in the NFC South. Oh, and the Panthers are a lot better than the Falcons on paper.

When did that count for a damn thing? We were told the Panthers were going to walk into a Superbowl against Miami last year and look what happened. After two weeks we were told Grossman would be MVP and Mike Vick would probably finish second. A football season is 17 weeks of impossible-to-predict action (I should know, I bet on it ;D)

The Saints aren't undisputed or anything like it. No one is sewn for anything. How many games to the Colts win if Manning injures himself on the first snap of the year? If they play like they did last year, they'll be tough nuts to crack, no doubt about it. So will any of the teams who got to the CC.

I will admit that if I were to bet on it, I'd put us at third in the South right now. That doesn't mean I'm resigned to it, I live in hope.

That said, if we are gonna fail badly, we might get Brohm. ;D

phr102
25.08.2007, 10:18 AM
A good time for Falcons fans to be pondering next season, in my opinion...i certainly don't think that you guys will end up having a disaster this year, especially considering the robust health of your young secondary, but won't be easy, an ideal learning situation for newbies like Houston, Irons and Blalock.
But next year, just think....Brian Brohm back with Petrino and two early second round picks in a supposedly-deep defensive draft class could make this a franchise going in the right direction. Always a silver lining if you have a 'mare of a year!

falcon_91
01.09.2007, 02:33 PM
But next year, just think....Brian Brohm back with Petrino and two early second round picks in a supposedly-deep defensive draft class could make this a franchise going in the right direction. Always a silver lining if you have a 'mare of a year!

Ive been think about Brohm and i had a thought. Lets say we do get a top 5 pick(hopefully not) what if we dont take Brohm and instead take Jake Long or Sam Baker. Then pick up Culpepper from FA hes only got a 1 year deal at Oakland. He would probably fit into Petrinos O just as well, and we would of upgraded our weakest part of our line LT,....and our left side would be sorted for the next 10 years.

lukiebaker
05.09.2007, 04:27 PM
I have a question for Falcons fans (or anyone really, i'm not picky!) Who will start at WR for the Falcons and will Roddy White or Michal Jenkins get a look in? If so, which one is more likely to play and who will post the better numbers? Thanks a lot. ;)

falcon_91
05.09.2007, 04:34 PM
Horn and Jenkins will be #1 and #2. Although as Petrino uses 3,4 and 5 WR sets alot Roddy White Robinson and Jennings will all gets a look in.

Horn will probably put up the best numbers..Jenkins should put up decent numbers..last year he had 7TDs he should have that number at a minimum

lukiebaker
05.09.2007, 04:46 PM
Thanks falcon_91. :)

FuJ
06.09.2007, 12:07 AM
haha i like how its nfl kick off day and you guys are already looking forward to next season WOOHOO only 365 days to go! Lets just enjoy this season eh lads and ladettes ;)

phr102
06.09.2007, 01:47 PM

Ive been think about Brohm and i had a thought. Lets say we do get a top 5 pick(hopefully not) what if we dont take Brohm and instead take Jake Long or Sam Baker. Then pick up Culpepper from FA hes only got a 1 year deal at Oakland. He would probably fit into Petrinos O just as well, and we would of upgraded our weakest part of our line LT,....and our left side would be sorted for the next 10 years.

Personally can't see Petrino passing on Brohm, a kid who he has helped develop would settle right in. And he has been looking s**t-hot in the opening round of the NCAA season! Pretty deep OT class next year, too. We'll see, i guess. Don't really want to see Atlanta do badly, but three early draft picks (assuming that Houston fail to deliver, as per) could really revitalise the squad

phr102
19.09.2007, 10:12 PM
I fully take back my belief that Brohm is heading to the Falcs! Bring on Baker, Long, McFadden et al!

falcon_91
19.09.2007, 10:30 PM
because we signed leftwich for 2 years?

But the most important signing of this week was Morten Anderson

phr102
20.09.2007, 07:44 AM
I'd say that Leftwich will be given an adequate chance to be the starter for the foreseeable years, and if he takes that opportunity, i think that drafting Brohm would prove to be a bit of a waste, considering the talent on both sides of the ball expected to come out for this years draft

falcon_91
20.09.2007, 04:13 PM
If leftwich couldnt make it at Jax what makes you think he wil lturn it around behind a worse line.

Draft a QB in the top 2 rounds is almost a certainity....and i'll eat my hat if they werent starting within 3 years

towen5
23.09.2007, 10:31 PM
when are people going to take me seriously when i say that roddy white will be a serious playmaker for us. and i said joey could perform for us too.

steven a h
21.10.2007, 01:45 PM
FALCONS SUCK...... THIS YEAR IS OVER .we need a new QB [yous think brian brohmm] ;new Olineman new power runner . D tackle middle LB AND aFREE SAFTEY. but apart from that were fine .should be competative in only 3 years

falcon_91
21.10.2007, 01:58 PM
Jimmy Williams will be our future FS...theres a reason we took Houston, Houston replaces J-Wil as nickel corner(would like to see him be #2 tbh), Williams will eventually replace Crocker at FS, then when Milloy retires Crocker will go to SS.

raz15
21.10.2007, 04:09 PM
FALCONS SUCK...... THIS YEAR IS OVER .we need a new QB [yous think brian brohmm] ;new Olineman new power runner . D tackle middle LB AND aFREE SAFTEY. but apart from that were fine .should be competative in only 3 years

i agree with this dude, falcons 2007 season is over...
however i think the team has potential and if they have decent drafts within the next two years they might pick it up.... or then again they might not ;)

deanwebley
21.10.2007, 08:40 PM
i hope Michael vick is happy - look what he's done to us! he ruined out hopes of success and he deserves everything he gets for dog fighting! >:( >:(

steven a h
21.10.2007, 09:02 PM
i hope vick gets 5 years .he deserves it. i only hope we get some of his cap money back .when we get brohmm next year.,
[cause we are going 3 and 13] a couple of good drafts and we will be there.

Khaled
21.10.2007, 09:17 PM
Why is everyone talking about Brohm. Obviously there's the Petrino connection, but he has durability issues and he's not an elite prospect. Odds are we have a top 5 pick next year (with a team thats better then that) and I'm not convinced that any of the top 3 QB's coming out are worth that high a pick and would much rather bring in McFadden, Long or Dorsey. As scary as it is we have bigger concerns then QB. Leftwich looked good today until the injury (which was a nasty fall more then him being injury prone) and Harrington is an adequate back up. We need to start investing some high picks along the lines.

Todays game was given away by a coach who punted on fourth down in the final two minutes, and a coach who much like Mora cant make adjustments

themouth18888
21.10.2007, 09:57 PM
Todays game was given away by a coach who punted on fourth down in the final two minutes, and a coach who much like Mora cant make adjustments

couldnt understand that decision what was he hoping for by doing that??? he had nothing to lose! unless he had a bet on the falcons on the spread and was scared of losing a few points that would cost him money!!!!!!! ;D

Khaled
23.10.2007, 09:54 PM
In a move that signifies we have now given up on this season and our going to give the youngsters a chance and see what they are made of

By STEVE WYCHE
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Published on: 10/23/07

Flowery Branch — The Falcons cut defensive lineman Grady Jackson Tuesday. Rookie Trey Lewis will move into the starting lineup.

Last season, he started all 16 games and helped them improve 17 spots in the NFL rankings from 26th in 2005 to ninth last season. He led the NFL in tackles for loss with 13 and was the only projected starter on the defensive line to play in all 16 games.

falcon_91
23.10.2007, 10:35 PM
theres looking to the future, and then theres stupidity.

FuJ
15.11.2007, 12:22 PM
Dunno if this has been put somewere else but since Leftwitch looks like hes gonna get the starters job over Joey, whose just lead the team to two straight wins (which is now 3 more wins than anyone ever thought we'd get this season). Who do you guys think should get the job
1. Byron Leftwitch, whose injury prone and doesnt suit a quickfire offence that petrino has tried to install.
2. Joey Harrington, inconsistent at best.
3. Who cares lets make Warrick Dunn our QB!

*again apology's if this has been put up elsewhere*

falcon_91
15.11.2007, 05:24 PM
Leftwich looked good when he played as starter. He has a bigger arm than Joey does so it means we can open up the playbook more, and can take longer shots down the field

falcon_91
20.11.2007, 05:32 PM
FLOWERY BRANCH, Ga. -- Tuesday the Atlanta Falcons placed defensive tackles Rod Coleman and Trey Lewis on injured reserve, signed free agent defensive tackle Jesse Mahelona, activated defensive end Kevin Huntley from the practice squad to the 53-man roster and signed defensive end Derrick Jones to the practice squad.

Both Coleman and Lewis were injured in last Sunday’s home game against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. In five games, Coleman totaled eight tackles, including a two-sack performance and a forced fumble against the Carolina Panthers in Week 10.

Lewis made his first career start against Houston in Week 4 and posted 23 tackles, one interception and one pass defensed in nine games.

Mahelona, 6-0, 311 pounds, was originally selected by the Tennessee Titans in the fifth round (169th overall) of the 2006 NFL Draft. In his rookie season with the Titans, he compiled 21 tackles and one sack in 10 games. Mahelona was waived by Tennessee in September and was signed by Miami. The Dolphins released him last month.

Huntley joins the 53-man roster after previously being signed to the Falcons practice squad on Sept. 12, 2007. He was a member of the Oakland Raiders last season and was released by the team on Aug. 28, 2007. In 2006, he tallied 10 tackles and 2.5 sacks for a loss of 20 yards in six games.

Jones returns to the Falcons practice squad following his initial release from the team on Nov. 6, 2007. He continues his rookie season as a former standout from Grand Valley State University

http://www.atlantafalcons.com/News/Articles/2007/11/11-21/Coleman_Lewis_placed_on_injured_reserve.aspx

joy

bucs_till_death
20.11.2007, 05:48 PM
Leftwich looked good when he played as starter. He has a bigger arm than Joey does so it means we can open up the playbook more, and can take longer shots down the field

Nah, he played poorly. When Harrington came in though, he led Atlanta straight onto a long scoring drive completing the vast majority of his passes, 1 TD, 0 INT

Harrington led you to 2 straight victories, and imo in the key game against us, your coaching staff were stupid to replace Harrington.

falcon_91
20.11.2007, 06:10 PM

Nah, he played poorly. When Harrington came in though, he led Atlanta straight onto a long scoring drive completing the vast majority of his passes, 1 TD, 0 INT

Harrington led you to 2 straight victories, and imo in the key game against us, your coaching staff were stupid to replace Harrington.

i posted that before the TB game...about his previous and only other start.

Leftwich's long wind up came back to haunt him again, also thought it was intressting how as soon as Joey came in the WR's stepped up and stopped the drops. Guess they just prefer his throws.

FuJ
21.11.2007, 04:30 PM
^probably coz theres less power in them and theyve had longer to work with harrington.
No Starting Defensive Tackles= Joseph Addai 10000 yards through the middle :(

bucs_till_death
21.11.2007, 06:22 PM

i posted that before the TB game...about his previous and only other start.

Leftwich's long wind up came back to haunt him again, also thought it was intressting how as soon as Joey came in the WR's stepped up and stopped the drops. Guess they just prefer his throws.

Ahh I see lol. Assumed you posted after the Bucs game.. ah well...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cdtxqqNuSY ;)

thewiseoldman
13.12.2007, 07:46 PM
Nothing on Petrino? I'm no Falcons fan but the organisation has displayed a bit of class in a very difficult year. Petrino has behaved like a complete slimeball.

Stubbsy #21
13.12.2007, 08:20 PM
What ****** me off is that he didn't even talk to the players before he left to say how and why he was leaving which showed a lack of respect for the players.

In terms of a new coach their are several approaches that should be made. I believe that Arthur Blank should throw as much money as necessary at Cowher but would be want to come to the Falcons? Failing that i'd love to see Jason Garrett come in from the Cowboys but in all likelihood he'll wait a couple of years and then take over from Phillips in Dallas. Mike Singeltary could be in with a shout as could Marty Schottenheimer. Outside of them i don't see too many other options.

However this does open the door for us drafting a QB other than Brohm or even drafting someone like mcfadden.

steven a h
14.12.2007, 12:56 AM
good shout we need a figure head who will carry respect from the players. but we aint going to be winning for acouple of years who will be our QB we are going to draft our QB so who??? ryan brohm woodson bernann ? i dont know who will be the best pro or i would be a scout.but we need O line help BIG TIME .also a new RB <dunn i love him but his time is over > .can anderson make the step up and become apass rusher next year. a real MLB and a free saftey who can cover at least a bit and then we could be 8 and 8 .and the real work will begin . aint being a falcons fun??

FuJ
14.12.2007, 10:49 AM
we have Norwood man, Rb isnt our issue. An ageing set of linebackers that are basically carried by brooking could be a weakness but its really the offence that needs rebuilding.

Khaled
14.12.2007, 11:59 AM
We're going to have a high pick, we shouldn't waste it on a good player, we should select an elite prospect (which means DMAC, Long or Dorsey) all of which offer an upgarde on what we have (people should stop kidding themselves that Norwood is anything other then a change of pace bak ... his body couldn't cope with being a number 1 back)

I know people like to build aroudn a QB, but you need to build around an elite QB for that to work and none of the guys in the draft are that.

Any of DMAC, Long or Dorsey instantly upgrades key positions for our team (although this could change depending on free agent acquisitions)

falcon_91
18.12.2007, 10:36 PM
Former Pittsburgh Steelers coach Bill Cowher has told the Atlanta Falcons he intends to sit out another year of coaching and will not consider the team's vacant head coach position.

Cowher
Cowher was contacted by the Falcons after Bobby Petrino resigned as coach last week, league and team sources told ESPN's Chris Mortensen. It was an exploratory contact, not an offer for the Atlanta job, the sources said.

Cowher told Falcons officials he is committed to a two-year sabbatical as he works as an NFL studio analyst for CBS. Bill Parcells, currently working as an ESPN analyst, also has reaffirmed that he will not coach again.

Petrino abruptly resigned as Falcons coach on Tuesday and, hours later, made official his return to the college ranks with his introduction by the University of Arkansas as its new coach.

Longtime Falcons assistant coach and former player Emmitt Thomas, who has been the team's secondary coach since 2002, has been named interim head coach for the final three games of the season.

Falcons owner Arthur Blank said Wednesday he felt betrayed by Petrino's shocking decision to resign midseason. Petrino's departure came the day after the Falcons lost to the Saints and quarterback Michael Vick was sentenced in federal court to 23 months in prison for taking part in an illegal dogfighting ring.

"I do feel a sense of betrayal, a sense of trust lost that just was not right given the circumstances," Blank said. "This year was a perfect storm for us in a negative way but we will get through that and we will move forward."

Petrino was in his first season as coach and Blank said he did not blame him for a string of poor results that had left the Falcons with a 3-10 record and bottom of the NFC South division.

Atlanta plays at Tampa Bay today.

Khaled
19.12.2007, 09:27 AM
Look like Rich McKay will have his powers cut back. Bill Parcells is being offered a position as a VP (although from the description sounds like he'll have the powers of a GM) and Blank wants to reduce the influence of McKay.

Bout time, McKay wanted Petrino, his drafting strategy has been perplexing at times (its come out he didnt even give Jamaal Anderson an individual workout before selecting him) and he just hasnt lived up to expectations.

Wholesale changes, and I commend Blank for finally showcasing some balls

gilderda
19.12.2007, 02:22 PM
Don't be surprised if Cowher does end up back in the NFL for 2008, but it won't be in Atlanta - strong rumours linking him with the Skins once they shunt Gibbs back upstairs in the off-season.

The Falcons locker room needs a leader of men post-Petrino, and to me that means an experienced NFL head coach. The problem you have then is who is currently out of work and desperate enough to take the job on? Schottenheimer maybe, but how would he work with someone like Parcells effectively "over" him? Surely someone of Marty's experience wouldn't want another coaching legend looking down on him from the front office?

Alternatively do you take a punt on a current co-ordinator or assistant (Garrett, Singletary etc) and hope you hit lucky? The latter could be an interesting choice who would certainly command the respect of the players, but is an unknown quantity in a head coach role.

One thing you don't do, is look into the college game. Enough fingers have been burned in recent years with the likes of Saban and Petrino to put franchises off that route for a while.

themouth18888
21.12.2007, 03:32 AM
Sending a little humor your way guys enjoy!!

http://saintsreport.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55564

steven a h
05.01.2008, 12:44 AM
why are the falcons not trying to get marty shotenheimmer he must be top of any list he is good at getting winning teams that is what the falcons need.

falcon_91
05.01.2008, 12:46 AM
We are keeping everything on low, we've already been rejected by Cowher
Im prety sure Blank will have a list, but from what ive heard Marty said that ATL wsn't the right place. Which means more money and get Nix.

steven a h
26.01.2008, 03:45 PM
MIKE SMITH GOOD HIRE IN ATLANTA ????. well i listened to the guys press conference on af.com and i thought he sounded good. he should be around for agood few years and that is what the falconns need stability. i also liked his philophsy on the game. you win the game by running the ball and stopping the run.you must control the line of scrimmage and play hard . i like the sound of that.so i look forwad to new more physical linemen coming in via the draft and free agency.

falcon_91
26.01.2008, 03:49 PM
i also liked his philophsy on the game. you win the game by running the ball and stopping the run.you must control the line of scrimmage and play hard

I'm just looking forward to his and Dimitroff's first big decision (if it is a decision that has to be made) McFadden or Ellis. Will probably show if we are going to try to have a high powered offense or a high powered defense

steven a h
26.01.2008, 04:18 PM
you like ellis better than long or dorsey or you think they will boyh be gone

falcon_91
26.01.2008, 04:21 PM
I like Ellis a hell of a lot more than Long, infact i like Ryan Clady more than Jake Long(as a LT in the NFL)
Ellis vs Dorsey is a toughy but all signs hint that Dorsey will be gone before we pick so i doubt its a decision we will have to make.

Soko
26.01.2008, 06:54 PM
I give up. We now have the worst co-ordinators in the NFL and a rookie HC. We haven't got a chance

steven a h
27.01.2008, 11:47 PM
it will take acouple of years especially if we draft a QB in round one so it is time to be patient we were in a real mess after mr vick. the only way is up

falcon_91
28.01.2008, 07:05 PM
it will take acouple of years especially if we draft a QB in round one so it is time to be patient we were in a real mess after mr vick. the only way is up
It will take a couple of years for me to stop crying if that happens

towen5
04.02.2008, 08:40 PM

i second that motion. middle rounds PLEASE guys.
were building i new team, we dont want a 1st round BUST!
the talent isnt there at Qb this year, dont waste it!

phr102
04.02.2008, 09:23 PM

i second that motion. middle rounds PLEASE guys.
were building i new team, we dont want a 1st round BUST!
the talent isnt there at Qb this year, dont waste it!

Some perfectly legit talent in the 3rd round. Those first 3 picks of yours could make a real difference to the foundations of your franchise.
But where do you prioritise? Do you take DMC if he falls to you? Ellis maybe?

steven a h
09.02.2008, 01:00 PM
D linemen and O linemen is where the falcons must be the starting point for falcons retooling skill players can do nothing without a solid line.

Packer_Gaz
17.02.2008, 10:56 PM
bye bye Alge!

steven a h
18.02.2008, 03:31 PM
only reason alge got cut is falcons must think his knee is shot

steven a h
24.02.2008, 04:47 PM
deangelo hall trade him now.

falcon_91
24.02.2008, 05:52 PM
if you think the falcons are btter without him than with him you my friend are mistaken.

curiousgeorge
24.02.2008, 06:01 PM
hey falcon 91 mike smith is gonna be implementing tampa 2 next year, right? because that would at least make some sense in trading hall

steven a h
24.02.2008, 06:11 PM
hall is not worth the 10 mill ayear he thinks he is so if you aint going to give him a 7 year deal worth 70 to 80 mill ala nate clemens you must trade now and get something for him.

falcon_91
24.02.2008, 06:25 PM
it's not 10M a year though the way contracts are structured its would be going up every year.

And it's all well and good saying YES TRADE HIM NOW GET HIM OF MY TEAM but who the hell is going to replace him? Houston is decent but he's not good enough and too raw to be a #1, a draft pick? no-one is worth a selection at #3, and if we trade with Giants theres a big chance the top 5-6 CB's are gone already.

If he wants a big contract i would give it to him, try something like 60Mover 7 years which i think he would accept, if the hit starts getting more than he is worth you restructure or then conisder trading not when the guy is so young and can improve so much.

Sa14
25.02.2008, 10:49 PM
who are you guys looking to draft then? Ryan? Long? Macfadden?
Will you get a 1st round pick for hall?
How did Jammal Anderson do for you guys last year?

valityr
25.02.2008, 10:51 PM
lol @ name of the thread starter.

steven a h
01.03.2008, 09:26 PM
dt glen dorsey no1 pick of the atlanta falconns in the 2008 draft.

lmidbn
03.03.2008, 08:05 AM
Hey guys just wanted to drop in and congratulate u on the signing of 'the Burner' also known as Michael Turner.

Not only is he a great RB just waiting for his chance to start he is a real quality human being. U won't have any issues with MT. All of us Bolt Fans while sorry to see him go know he deserves and opportunity to start somewhere and get paid. I hope u have/get some good fat boys now to block for him.

C'mere will it be Matt Ryan in April then?.... Who is gonna start at QB day 1?.

falcon_91
03.03.2008, 05:40 PM
Chris Redman will be our starter week 1 unless Brohm/Henne do outstanding in TC.
If we draft ryan i might just have to go to Atlanta and slap TD/Mike Smith.

lmidbn
03.03.2008, 05:54 PM
Chris Redman will be our starter week 1 unless Brohm/Henne do outstanding in TC.
If we draft ryan i might just have to go to Atlanta and slap TD/Mike Smith.

Interesting, so u think there is a chance Brohm will be there at pick 34 or whatever it is round 2?. Surely u won't be picking either of these with the 3rd pick?. Who would u like to see at pick 3?.

I reckon the 'longs' might go 1 and 2. Then who?. The number 3 might be worth a nice haul from a team that wants McFadden (Cowboys) or Ryan (if the Falcons don't want him).

falcon_91
03.03.2008, 06:52 PM
For some reason Brohm seems to be slipping, imo theres 3 people he could go to(CAR,Bears and Tampa)..if he doesn't go to any if them who knows how far he oculd fall, and personnally i wouldnt object to moving up a couple of spots for him.
At #3 I'd like on of Glenn Dorsey/Sederick Ellis (both DT) as at the moment our DT situation is easily on par with QB/LT troubles, and there is real value at #3 for them.

falcon_91
05.03.2008, 06:10 PM
Harrington Cut
FLOWERY BRANCH, Ga. – The Atlanta Falcons today released six-year veteran quarterback Joey Harrington.

In 12 games (10 starts) last season, he completed 215 of 348 passes for 2,215 yards, seven touchdowns and eight interceptions for a 77.2 passer rating.

Harrington was originally acquired by the Falcons as an unrestricted free agent on April 9, 2007.

A first-round pick out of the University of Oregon in the 2002 NFL Draft, Harrington leaves the Falcons with 76 career starts at quarterback and more than 14,500 passing yards and 79 touchdown passes. His career passer rating is 70.5.

Will be a good back-up for someone.

steven a h
05.03.2008, 06:17 PM
so we will be dafting a qb at some point. but d tackle trey lewis has reinjured his knee so we must drart ellis or dorsey with 3rd pick and hope brohmm is there 1n round2.

falcon_91
05.03.2008, 06:27 PM
but d tackle trey lewis has reinjured his knee

how bad?

steven a h
05.03.2008, 06:42 PM
needs an op on it again may be ready fo season. is it time to send for big gady jackson.

falcon_91
05.03.2008, 07:12 PM
Yeh, we visibily lost something (and not just the site of him) when he left, our push up the middle was a joke..only thing is if he will want to come back after the way he was treated
Regardless we need to draft Ellis/Dorsey

lmidbn
05.03.2008, 07:38 PM
If the Dolphins pick Chris Long, can the Falcons pass on Ryan?. If they pass on him and Brohm is there when the Chargers pick at 27 wanna trade us your 2nd rounders?. Miami will probably pick him in the 2nd round before you.

steven a h
05.03.2008, 09:38 PM
is brohm the no2 qb on the board what about flaco

steven a h
05.03.2008, 09:50 PM
henne, flacco or brohm is asecond round pick for the falcons or they trade the 2 second ound picks to the bottom of the first to get ahead of miami to get habrohm and already have jake long to protect him

steven a h
09.03.2008, 05:16 PM
falcons to have woodson and flacco to come in to workout for falcons.at flowery branch so does this mean they think ryan overrated at 3rd pick.

O-Line
09.03.2008, 05:19 PM
Enjoy the services of Simon Fraser.

falcon_91
09.03.2008, 08:08 PM
Simon Fraser is a god...

personnally im not a fan of Flacco or Ryan, however i am starting to arm to Woodson and i think his delivery isn't as big of a deal than alot of people are making it out to be.

phr102
09.03.2008, 10:20 PM
Simon Fraser is a god...

personnally im not a fan of Flacco or Ryan, however i am starting to arm to Woodson and i think his delivery isn't as big of a deal than alot of people are making it out to be.

And would be good value in the 3rd

JeromeNeil
09.03.2008, 10:30 PM
Simon Fraser is a god...

Well, let's say you skip over Ryan and Baltimore pick him up, if Brohm's still there in the second round, you wouldn't pick him up? I think that you'd get alot more for your dollar from Brohm in the second round than you would Woodson in the third.

falcon_91
10.03.2008, 01:37 AM
Of course if Brohm is there in the 2nd i would take him in a heartbeat, but it's doubtful that he is, even if he drops to the 2nd Phins oculd still pick him, so outside of that i think Woodson would provide good value in the 3rd, as his "problems" are easier to fix than some make out.

steven a h
12.03.2008, 01:37 PM
JOEY IS BACK. mr harrington back in atlanta. this looks like there is less of achance matt ryan in the 1st round so OT or DT in the first round and a QB IN THE later rounds

steven a h
16.03.2008, 01:32 PM
deangelo hall to raiders for a 2nd and 6th round picks brilliant move by falcons to get rid of overated bighead with no concept of team he and the raiders deserve each other

phr102
16.03.2008, 02:22 PM
deangelo hall to raiders for a 2nd and 6th round picks brilliant move by falcons to get rid of overated bighead with no concept of team he and the raiders deserve each other

Link?

Still seems to be in the works.

gazza100
17.03.2008, 11:19 AM
falcon 91 do you go on falcons life you have very similar opinions to people on there. and are similar to mine

i personally hope that we draft long and the dorsey if he is gone because we could get a Balmer, or laws in the second whilst most good tackles are likely going first round.

i expect on of the good corners to slip into the second maybe Talib or Flowers so if we trade D hall then we should get one of them . personally i think we should draft hall but we should be looking for more for him than a second rounder.

as for QB i dont like ryan at 3 at all i want henne in the second im not as high on flacco as others but i do like him. brohm could drop into the second but i could see miami or kansas taking him before us.

also any falcons fans should take a look at falcons life type it into google and its the top one its quite a good forum.

falcon_91
17.03.2008, 07:14 PM
Yeh I am, but i mainly just go on pure football/NF Draft/Free agency bit, i can't be dealing with TATF anymore as anything you say someone takes offense and it leads to a 10 page arguement about well nothing.

On the corners issue, im hoping Jimmy Williams is moved back to CB, he was a top corner when he came out but the whole dela over tryiong to move him to Saferty has rally stunted his NFL growth, but imo he is a prototypical cover -2 CB, although if Flowers falls to the 2nd i would like us to pick him up aswell.

steven a h
22.03.2008, 01:58 PM
jason elam signs with falcons i think its agood move fo falcons.

falcon_91
03.04.2008, 08:09 PM
http://www.atlantafalcons.com/News/Articles/2008/04/1-10/Preseason_opponents_announced.aspx

FLOWERY BRANCH, Ga. -- The Falcons will open the preseason on the road at Jacksonville on either Aug. 8 or 9 AtlantaFalcons.com has learned.

The Birds will play the Jaguars -- Head Coach Mike Smith's former team -- for the first time since the 2006 preseason. Other preseason opponents include a home opener against Indianapolis Aug. 15 or 16, another home game against Tennessee Aug. 22 or 23 and a Thursday-night contest at Baltimore Aug. 28. That game is scheduled for a 7:30 p.m. kickoff.

Scheduled times are expected in the coming weeks.

Each opponent is a familiar preseason foe.

Atlanta lost to Jacksonville in the 2006 preseason in a rain-soaked affair. The Falcons also won a preseason game in Tennessee that season.

In 2005, The Falcons defeated the Colts in a preseason game, 27-21, in front of 45,203 fans at the American Bowl held at the Tokyo Dome in Tokyo, Japan.

Baltimore has been a very familiar warm-up opponent, appearing on the preseason schedule four of the last five years.

Atlanta holds a winning preseason series record against Jacksonville (3-2) and Indianapolis (2-0) while claiming victories in their last preseason meetings against Tennessee (2006) and Baltimore (2007). Atlanta has not posted a losing preseason record for four consecutive campaigns dating back to 2003. During that time span, the Falcons tallied an 11-6 record with six of those wins coming at home.

Home games will be played in a newly-renovated Georgia Dome. Improvements including the addition of red and black seats, fresh paint on the exterior and re-designed concourses are expected to be completed in time for the start of the preseason. Individual game tickets wil go on sale in the summer.

Stay with AtlantaFalcons.com for more news as it becomes available.

Falcons 2008 Preseason Opponents

Date/Time Opponent Location
Aug. 8 or 9/TBD Jacksonville Jacksonville, Fla.
Aug. 15 or 16/TBD Indianapolis Georgia Dome
Aug. 22 or 23/TBD Tennessee Georgia Dome
Aug. 28/7:30 p.m. Baltimore Baltimore

phr102
04.04.2008, 07:44 AM
Potentially some exciting times in Atlanta this year, in light of your wealth of draft picks. Three 2nds? How many 3rds and fourths?!

falcon_91
04.04.2008, 12:19 PM
2 3rds (one is a comp pick) and one 4th.

We have 4 picks in the top 48, and 7 picks in the top 103 picks i believe.

phr102
04.04.2008, 12:22 PM
2 3rds (one is a comp pick) and one 4th.

We have 4 picks in the top 48, and 7 picks in the top 103 picks i believe.

Some serious potential for the rebuilding of a franchise then! Am a little jealous in fact, if the scouts can do a good job and get some good mid-round value, is there a legit chance of the Falcons having a young generation of starters, or do you simply have too many holes to fill?

falcon_91
04.04.2008, 02:19 PM
Our team is getting younger, and are doing it quickly.

We had 11 picks last year, and seemingly 11 picks this year(barring trade). So assuming they are all kept on (all of last tears picks are onboard) we will have 22 out of 53 players all who have been drafted within the last 2 years. (Although this year we have more picks higher uip the draft board so the talent level should be higher)
Last year we had 4 rookies starting regularly - Anderson,Blalock,Houston,Nicholas - and i would expect to find 3/4 starters this year + a QB who will sit. So that is 7 or 8 places filled with young talented players. Rebuilding has it's upsides ;)

gazza100
27.04.2008, 10:30 AM
what do the other atlanta falcons fans think of our draft.

i hate the ryan pick but we did well to trade back into the first as texans would have taken him and we would have faced a huge drop off in OT quality.

i like the lofton pick he was my no.2 mlb and we should have a great linebacker core next year.

hindsight is a wonderful thing but if we had went dorsey at 3 and got brohm at 37 it would have been awesome.

i know its early but i think smith and dimitriouf did well so far as long as we can get a tackle and corner in the 3rd.

themouth18888
27.04.2008, 10:37 AM
Being a Saints fan I was very happy with your draft! ;) Yopu guys had the picks to do soooo much better imo. As you mentioned you could have had Dorsey & Brohm! Matt Ryan seems like a sound guy pitty he went to the Falcs ha! Ellis will have him lying on the ground all next year anyways!

boknows34
27.04.2008, 10:52 AM
hindsight is a wonderful thing but if we had went dorsey at 3 and got brohm at 37 it would have been awesome.

I was thinking about that all through the 2nd rd when Brohm started falling.

And with hindsight you could even have traded down in the 2nd, picked up another choice and still selected Brohm.

With all the ammo Atlanta had I thought they could have done better.

falcon_91
27.04.2008, 06:05 PM
With hindsight we could of done this

1)Glenn DOrsey
2)Sam Baker - would of probably dropped
2b)Brian Brohm
2c)Dan Conners

But in reality we seem to have totally turned a blind eye to the trenches, it's ridicuous. Instead we take 2 LB's 2!

5aints0wn4ll
27.04.2008, 06:31 PM
tbh if i was a Falcons Coach i would take Ryan ( :o ) lol he is the Franchise QB you needed imo yes he threw Interceptions but that was only trying to make plays with poor recievers if you give him a chance you may eat your words

gazza100
27.04.2008, 07:17 PM
have we completely forgotten our huge need at DT.

2 LBs is not needed especially after lofton.

dimitriouf has messed up what could have been a great draft

Stubbsy #21
27.04.2008, 08:28 PM
These later rounds are head scratchingly strange. Do they not realise that we need a DT and TE and more o-lineman. Oh and we could do with a KR as well.

falcon_91
27.04.2008, 10:13 PM
have we completely forgotten our huge need at DT.

2 LBs is not needed especially after lofton.

dimitriouf has messed up what could have been a great draft

Got to agree, round 3 are the only picks i like - Jackson, Douglas and DeCoud - from a personale perspective BAker is a good pick bt only came after a reach and a horrible trade up.
Lofton could be a good pick up but with no DT's infront of him he wont improve us too much.
Thomas Brown pick makes no sense to me, he'll be in a battle for #3 RB and it's not like he will move up in the next year or 2, turner and norwood are long term.
Supposedly Rob James might be better suited to S than OLB, his pick just makes 0 sense to me. Same with Kroy Biermann there just not even need, and imo one of them might get cut, which for a team with so many wholes to happen to a 5th rounder is disappointing.
Wilrey Fontenot don;'t have much knowledge of him but supposedly a zone guy again.
and Zinger is just a pure blocking TE who im sure we could of picked up via UFDA and taken an lineman of some form

Im othis is lucky to be a D gade considering our needs, number of picks and quality available at some of our picks. A potential franchise changing draft turns out to be a disapointing one - i just hope their on field play changes my mind.

ukfalc
28.04.2008, 10:04 AM
The James and Biermann picks in particular are strange to me. We needed depth at OLB, but taking a 220lb makes no sense, and I doubt that we took him to convert to safety given that'd already taken a safety in the 3rd and signed another via FA (and a slow Cb who some projects as a better safety). If we really wanted a hardworking underisized OLB we could have just kept Demorio Williams.

The Biermann pick is the same. We needed depth at DE, but a 246lb end is going to wear down very qucikly with 290+lb OTs hitting him. Biermann has a great Youtube highlights package, but I really can't see him reeking havoc in the NFL based on pure speed. If so, every team in the NFL would be using ther quickest LBs as DEs on passing downs. TD liked his versatility, but do we need an undersized DE who can plan OLB when we have Brooking, Lofton, Nicholas, Boley and James at the LB spots? It seems to me like we sacrficied abillity at DE to get a player who could be a 6th LB in a pinch.

To me, these gusy both look like the long sort of projects that you take a punt on in the 7th or as UFAs when you are more willing to gamble on guys who lack the ideal measureables. I just think that we could have had so much better at the top and middle of the 5th round.

sat dhaliwal
28.04.2008, 01:22 PM
To all Falcons fans.......

i really hope Ryan is the man needed to give the franchise a well needed boost.

The dismise of Vick who was arguably the most exciting QB in the game at the time was a huge loss to the team and the NFL as a whole.

In some parts a bigger loss than Favre was to Packers and NFL. (You could also say Falcons. but we wont go there!).
As im sure he still had much to offer and the NFL hadn't yet seen his full potential.

Miracles don't happen over night, but with a patient franchise like Falcons i am sure they will give all the support they can to Ryan to develop into the leader he looks like he will be.

Im sure they will turn the corner sooner rather than late.

Good luck for 2008/09 - time to looking forward with optimism

steven a h
25.05.2008, 07:40 PM
72 MILLION FO MATT RYAN ??? are we mad he might turn out great but why we guarante him 35 mill big gamble.

falcon_91
25.05.2008, 07:44 PM
Signing him to 6 years was the key, it was either that day - or the day after - which was the last day yuo could sign anybody to a 6 year contract or longer.

Obviously it's ALOT of the money but i think that was one of the reasons why we overpayed a bit to get it done for that amount of years. I still hope he doesn't see the field this season, maybe in the last game. Yes some QB's come in and start out great e.g. Peyton Manning but Ryan isn't at Manning's level coming out of college i think we need him on the bench for aslong as possible, learning and adjusting.

falcon_91
12.06.2008, 12:25 AM
FLOWERY BRANCH, Ga. -- The Atlanta Falcons today agreed to terms with 2008 NFL Draft third round selections, cornerback Chevis Jackson (68th overall) and safety Thomas DeCoud (98th overall), to four-year contracts and released tight end George Cooper.

Financial terms of the deals were not disclosed.

Jackson, 5-11, 185 pounds, was highly regarded as a shutdown cornerback during his four-year career with the LSU Tigers. In 50 games played, he started 40 contests while recording 142 tackles (103 solo), eight interceptions, 36 passes defensed, one forced fumble and one fumble recovery. Jackson earned All-America third-team honors by The NFL Draft Report following his senior campaign while garnering All-SEC first-team accolades by the league’s coaches.

DeCoud (pronounced Day-Cooh), 6-0, 197 pounds, started 45 career games at the University of California and totaled 198 career tackles (115 solo), one sack, one interception, seven passes defensed, two forced fumbles and two fumble recoveries. Last season, he was named an All-Pac 10 honorable mention selection while serving as the team’s defensive captain.

Cooper, a product of Georgia Tech, spent the entire 2007 season on the Falcons practice squad.

towen5
14.07.2008, 03:18 AM
cant wait for the pre season games? what does everyone think to the qb situation minus matt ryan......?

falcon_91
03.08.2008, 08:54 PM
Redman to start for the whole year will remain my stance unless we are at 0 wins by 12 games, then let Shockley start.

In other words no Ryan...what's the worse thing that will happen? we pick up a killer DT or OLman from a high draft pick...

towen5
05.08.2008, 01:12 PM
the reports of ryan in camp have been pretty good, i cant wait to see him in preseason, its all guessing till then

towen5
10.08.2008, 11:30 AM
the reports of ryan in camp have been pretty good, i cant wait to see him in preseason, its all guessing till then

i hate to get optimistic but ryan looked pretty good and composed and even when he fumbled twice he recovered both. if he keeps it up i wouldn't be surprised to see him start seeing as the vets we have aren't exactly standing out.

Khaled
10.08.2008, 03:48 PM
I'm undecided on the best approach for dealing with Ryan. Some people will flourish the sooner they are given an opportunity, while others it will be the breaking of them.

I trust in our coaches being patient enough that they don't put him in for the sake of putting him but that if he's ready and is the best current quarterback (by all accounts Redman has been the man so far in training camp) then I'm comfortable with him starting.

Soko
10.08.2008, 04:28 PM
Play Ryan if the OL can keep up. He can handle it

towen5
10.08.2008, 06:25 PM
Play Ryan if the OL can keep up. He can handle it

he took a couple of hits last night which can be taken either way, he can handle it or he'll get murdered in the season games. im still not sold either way, i want him to play because he looks the best but i dont want to risk future seasons for the sake of this one in which we can only realistically hope for 5 wins. ive always thought that harrington was better than his rep and prefer him to redman but i think it will take redman to screw up rather than joey play well before that happens. grudgingly i reckon that redman will start but theres another 3 games in preseason to see what will happen

steven a h
10.08.2008, 09:51 PM
i thought ryan looked good last night on the highlights and he should be our starter as long as the O line is not totally hopeless.

davlar
10.08.2008, 09:59 PM
I thought Ryan played well too, judging from highlights, but that TD pass to White was made by the receiver, not the QB. The ball was thrown off target. Great catch by Roddy, though. He's definitely a player to watch this year.

towen5
11.08.2008, 12:06 AM
I thought Ryan played well too, judging from highlights, but that TD pass to White was made by the receiver, not the QB. The ball was thrown off target. Great catch by Roddy, though. He's definitely a player to watch this year.

i agree he had a break out year last year with average QB's, i reckon if ryan starts and can stay consistent he could be a fantasy sleeper for the year

falcon_91
11.08.2008, 03:31 PM
Something else that hasn't been mentioned is the signing of Grady Jackson to a 1 year deal.
Was a bit surprised he came back after the "incidents" involving him last year, but if we can get 2 out of 4 downs from him id be very happy, a real need for the run D - which still needs work - and a big problem for the team (the DT's) has been partially solved.

towen5
11.08.2008, 03:37 PM
Something else that hasn't been mentioned is the signing of Grady Jackson to a 1 year deal.
Was a bit surprised he came back after the "incidents" involving him last year, but if we can get 2 out of 4 downs from him id be very happy, a real need for the run D - which still needs work - and a big problem for the team (the DT's) has been partially solved.

i read a lot of Grady issues were with petrino and that's what caused a lot of the players to divide when he released Grady. i would still like to see us resign Rod Coleman.

falcon_91
11.08.2008, 05:19 PM
I would and i wouldnt.

When healthy he can be a good player and our line would have the same potential it did at the beginning of last year(probably better depth wise) but he has been injury prone as of late, and would want a big contract. The only way i would want him would be a low salary but incentives galore so if he gets injuryed again its a low risk signing.

towen5
12.08.2008, 11:59 AM
our injury list is becoming ridiculous. i remember them saying that staying healthy was their biggest concern and while we have a good young 1st team we have no depth! i mean injuries are of course a common occurrence but it doesn't mean i cant moan about the state of our franchise at this second.

MIA

Alex Stepanovich
Chris Houston (Starter)
Laurent Robinson (Starter)
John Abraham (Starter)
Todd Weiner (Starter)
Todd McClure(Starter)

That's 3 offensive lineman and 2 centers gone. our best DE, our best CB and one of our main receiving threats. i know that most will be back before the season starts but they are missing out on practicing plays for this new offense and it can only be a bad thing.

towen5
15.08.2008, 09:47 PM
any thoughts for the upcoming colts game? im looking forward to seeing lofton vs taylor again, obviously see if Matty Ice can keep it going but im also intrigued too see how Quinn Ojinaka can do on the line ive been hearing promising things about him and he's still very young

falcon_91
15.08.2008, 10:04 PM
Joey Harrington is supposed to be starting..crucial game for him if he wants to avoid the cut.
$2M for a QB#3 is a lot of money!

SteButt
15.08.2008, 10:15 PM
Joey Harrington is supposed to be starting..crucial game for him if he wants to avoid the cut.

I thought Joey might actually start week 1. Is he liable to be cut? Thought they would be reluctant to throw Ryan in straight away.

towen5
15.08.2008, 10:21 PM

i thought you still had to pay a certain amount even if you cut them? by the way smith has been talking about him i think he might be favoured ahead of redman if he does well this pre season

falcon_91
15.08.2008, 10:28 PM

I thought Joey might actually start week 1. Is he liable to be cut? Thought they would be reluctant to throw Ryan in straight away.

Chris Redman is currently our #1,Smith said he would give a fair opppurtunity to all the QB's which he is doing by giving Joey the start,
Obviously we aren't going to cut Ryan so it's between Shockley and Harrington for the last spot.

On cutting him, you only have to pay the guarenteed money which would either be none exsistant or very little compared to his annual salary

EDIT:This is totlaly irrelevant, but on a video on nfl.com Matt Ryan just drove a golf ball...437 yards (429 before the first bounce) thats fricking insane

towen5
15.08.2008, 10:48 PM

Chris Redman is currently our #1,Smith said he would give a fair opppurtunity to all the QB's which he is doing by giving Joey the start,
Obviously we aren't going to cut Ryan so it's between Shockley and Harrington for the last spot.

On cutting him, you only have to pay the guarenteed money which would either be none exsistant or very little compared to his annual salary

EDIT:This is totlaly irrelevant, but on a video on nfl.com Matt Ryan just drove a golf ball...437 yards (429 before the first bounce) thats fricking insane

maybe its just me but from his videos on altalnatfalcons.com smith doesnt sound that enamored with redman and he keeps complementing joey on his "competing" but we all know thats code for at least hes trying. im not sure, if it was me i would prefer joey, i mean redman only played 6 games in 4 years, he hasnt exactly proven himself anymore than anyone else. incidently on the new madden game redman became a pro bowler in my season which was insane......

and i love those nfl.com movies that are nothing to do with football their always hilarious or gob smacking. im gonna watch it now

towen5
16.08.2008, 03:07 PM
that's videos awesome but i don't know if its as realistic as on a course with real weather conditions etc. although Ryan and Coach Smith look very pally together...hmmmmm

so we gonna beat the Colts tonight or what falcon_91?

towen5
17.08.2008, 12:06 PM
turner lit it up last night! :o

bit disappointed with Ryan's INT and in completions.

towen5
21.08.2008, 04:07 PM
http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sports/falcons/stories/2008/08/20/falcons_roster_trim_shockley.html

AJC reporting that Shockley may be cut next week as when coach smith was asked about how many QB's he wanted to take into the regular season was 3. This probably isn't a surprise but DJ has been around a while and is a local boy and loved by the community for all his charity work and is known for giving back to locals. it will b sad to see him go if it does happen and I'd rather get rid of Redman but its about quality and he hasn't really proved himself in camp and is still struggling to come back from injury while learning a new offense. :(

falcon_91
21.08.2008, 07:02 PM
turner lit it up last night! :o

bit disappointed with Ryan's INT and in completions.
Didnt get to see the game, only just got back from a festival so watching the highlights.
On Ryans INT, he seemed to stare down the receiver, and just didnt put enough heat on a throw you really need to slin it in on.
Very Happy with turner hit the hole with great speed and hopefully its a sign of things to come

towen5
23.08.2008, 07:09 PM
havent had chance to watch any game tape but the score and stats look great, all the defensive rookies performed really well!

towen5
25.08.2008, 06:07 PM
signed Marcus Pollard so we have a tight end who can moderately block and moderately catch

Khaled
25.08.2008, 08:25 PM
Lets face it, our tight ends aren't going to be factors this year. We may as well throw a couple of extra lineman on the ends.

towen5
25.08.2008, 09:46 PM
Lets face it, our tight ends aren't going to be factors this year. We may as well throw a couple of extra lineman on the ends.

if they're not going to factor why sign Pollard. he's a predominately a catching TE, we already have Hartsock and Zinger who mostly block.

Khaled
25.08.2008, 10:06 PM
My comment was part in jest but I hardly think an old tight end whose performance has dropped markedly over the past three years (whenever I've watched him over the past two seasons he's had trouble holding onto the ball) is going to rapidly improve our tight end options.

towen5
25.08.2008, 10:07 PM
My comment was part in jest but I hardly think an old tight end whose performance has dropped markedly over the past three years (whenever I've watched him over the past two seasons he's had trouble holding onto the ball) is going to rapidly improve our tight end options.

no but he provides...
1. better catching option
2. experienced receiver to help tutor our young receiving squad
3. a safe target for 3/4 and short