PDA

View Full Version : Atlanta Falcons Thread

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5

steven a h
01.09.2008, 11:08 AM
i see pollard got cut so he did not last long

Stubbsy #21
02.09.2008, 10:59 AM
Harrington got cut and signed with the Ravens.

Week 1 and definitely a winnable game although i'm not expecting great things.

falcon_91
02.09.2008, 04:40 PM
CBS4 has learned that the Denver Broncos have traded Domonique Foxworth to the Atlanta Falcons. The Broncos will receive a 7th round draft pick for the 4th year defensive back. Foxworth is in the final year of his current contract and if he were to resign with Atlanta after this season, the Broncos would also receive a 6th round draft pick.

VERY HAPPY WITH THIS for a 7th maybe a 6th i consider this agreta bit of business and a steal for definete.

Lavalamp
03.09.2008, 03:02 PM
Defiantly a great pick up, adds some veteran experience to a young DB core and helps with the loss to Von Hutchins. He should fit the cover2 scheme well and is a very aggressive tackler.

As for the Marcus Pollard, he was only signed for the Baltimore game, otherwise we would have only been able to dress two TE's. not much of a mystery really. Although we might have kept him if there were no alternatives in the cuts, but with Justin Peelle available we had an easy decision, as he can block as well as be a threat. He may pressure Milner for the spot as second TE.

dangerdanger
05.09.2008, 12:25 PM
young DB core

Lavalamp i'm pretty sure you mean DB corps :P

I'm pretty nervous about Sunday, I think we're going to be ripped apart by Calvin and Roy Williams :'(

towen5
07.09.2008, 11:20 PM
young DB core

Lavalamp i'm pretty sure you mean DB corps :P

I'm pretty nervous about Sunday, I think we're going to be ripped apart by Calvin and Roy Williams :'(

"im pretty sure" he could still mean core, as in the centre, as in the starters as opposed to all the DB's in the squad

steven a h
08.09.2008, 04:23 PM
good start for falcons running game looked great

SteButt
08.09.2008, 05:42 PM
You guys sure made me sit up and take notice, with a rookie QB in I had you down to lose, but Turner was exceptional.

However, it was only the Lions, I'm looking forward to seeing how you fare at Tampa next time out.

CRAIGFALCONS
08.09.2008, 10:42 PM
Wow, what a game! It may have "only been the Lions" but I did hear some promising things about them at the beginning of the season especially with their supposed balanced offence (introducing the running game) where as the Falcons were rated by many as the worst team in the league.

I'm probably getting way ahead of myself with it being the first game of the season but when the score went too 21-0 after the first three drives I would've cried if I was a lesser man.

The running game was simply amazing, the line completely dominated the Lions defence. 22 Carries and averaging 10 yards a pop on 'Burner' Turner's part, Awesome. It seems San Diego let the wrong man go... Ha!

As for Matt Ryan, what a start! First pass, 62 yards touchdown! And to Michael Jenkins of all people. I mean I didn't even know he could run that fast. He did seem a bit shakey, nearly threw an interception, but played well for the most part.

There were even positives on the defensive side of the ball also, Milloy intercepting Kitna to regain the momentum when the Lions were looking to tie the game and really turned the game back in the Falcons favour. Abraham was a beast racking up 3 sacks, it was a shame that the others on the line were so quiet. Though in fairness Jamal Anderson should've been credited with half a sack was clearly held at one point denying him from sacking Kitna. No penalty though, yet on the next play Houston got called. Damn referees!!

Well there we go if things continue the way it started we can all look forward to a closely contested NFC South as the other games turned out to be good ones too. Bring on the Bucs!

towen5
08.09.2008, 10:50 PM
it was fantastic but i dont think anyone should get carried away, Ryan didnt get many attempts and almost threw 2 INT's. we wont be able to run like against everyone, i will reserve judgment until i see us against more intense defenses.

i think the lions handed this one to us a bit more than we made it ours, the first quarter was where we dominated, the lions nearly made a comeback and i think a better team could have finished the job against us.

CRAIGFALCONS
08.09.2008, 11:06 PM
Yeah I agree, I just believe that we're not as bad as the media et al claimed that we were. Mularkey stuck with the running game, which clearly worked against the Lions, hence why there wasn't a lot of passing attempts. But as you said he nearly threw two interception and had the Lions defensive players knew how to hold on to it we defiantly wouldn't have walked away winners.

Hopefully Ryan can learn from his miscues along with the rest of the team and build from there (Like Grimes trying to grow!).

And yeah, I'll try not to get too carried away... Woooo! ;D

dangerdanger
08.09.2008, 11:08 PM
What a win! ;D The thing I liked most was the fact that Mularkey actually got Norwood involved in the offense. Over on the official Falcons messageboard theyre thinking of names for our explosive tandem, the best I've seen so far is TNT but I don't get where the second T comes from? Anyone got any good suggestions?

towen5
08.09.2008, 11:10 PM
Yeah I agree, I just believe that we're not as bad as the media et al claimed that we were. ARE. Mularkey stuck with the running game, which clearly worked against the Lions, hence why there wasn't a lot of passing attempts. But as you said he nearly threw two interception and had the Lions defensive players knew how to hold on to it we defiantly wouldn't have walked away winners.

Hopefully Ryan can learn from his miscues along with the rest of the team and build from there (Like Grimes trying to grow!).

And yeah, I'll try not to get too carried away... Woooo! ;D

Corrected

CRAIGFALCONS
08.09.2008, 11:28 PM
What a win! ;D The thing I liked most was the fact that Mularkey actually got Norwood involved in the offense. Over on the official Falcons messageboard theyre thinking of names for our explosive tandem, the best I've seen so far is TNT but I don't get where the second T comes from? Anyone got any good suggestions?

I suppose the second T could be Touchdown. Turner-Norwood-Touchdown perhaps. TNT, blowing up the teams defences’ and lighting up the endzone for seasons to come. Awesome. As for suggestions I'm not very creative I'm afraid.

Norwood did provide a good change of pace (nearly gaining 100 yards on the ground), which sounds strange considering how fast Turner is himself.

towen5
08.09.2008, 11:43 PM

I suppose the second T could be Touchdown. Turner-Norwood-Touchdown perhaps. TNT, blowing up the teams defences’ and lighting up the endzone for seasons to come. Awesome. As for suggestions I'm not very creative I'm afraid.

Norwood did provide a good change of pace (nearly gaining 100 yards on the ground), which sounds strange considering how fast Turner is himself.

Turner - Norwood - Thomas Brown (when he's back!)

speaking of Thomas Brown i was dissapointed that Snelling didn't get any carries, i would have thought when they were running the game out and trying to prevent an injury to either of the star backs they could have given him a run-out.

thejuice
09.09.2008, 01:21 PM
Great win but looking at our schedule I cant see us doing much better than last year. The Saints and Panthers look strong and the Bucs havent got worse from what I've seen. I Cant see us beating Denver or Green Bay either. But it will be a good test for Ryan, and thats whats most important right now, building for the future.

towen5
09.09.2008, 02:55 PM
Great win but looking at our schedule I cant see us doing much better than last year. The Saints and Panthers look strong and the Bucs havent got worse from what I've seen. I Cant see us beating Denver or Green Bay either. But it will be a good test for Ryan, and thats whats most important right now, building for the future.

you do know that Denver have one of the worst run defenses in the league....

towen5
10.09.2008, 05:06 PM
i hope that after week 1 when teams shut down the run to try and force Ryan to throw he can step up. It will be an interesting challenge against tampa's defense this weekend.

Khaled
10.09.2008, 05:51 PM
It will be interesting. But that running game is only going to make his adjustment to the NFL easier with teams forced to stack the box. We have a team that in my mind can run over most defensive lines and force an 8th man into the box.

TNT apparently stands for Turner, Norwood Together

That's pretty lame.

towen5
10.09.2008, 06:38 PM
It will be interesting. But that running game is only going to make his adjustment to the NFL easier with teams forced to stack the box. We have a team that in my mind can run over most defensive lines and force an 8th man into the box.

TNT apparently stands for Turner, Norwood Together

That's pretty lame.

im surprised that Snelling hasnt had a run out yet ???

and thats very very lame

NBlair
10.09.2008, 07:01 PM
Hey guys.

Any of you been to Atlanta to see the Falcons play? I'm headed over for the Chiefs game in week 3 and I'm looking for tips on the area

Thanks!

dangerdanger
15.09.2008, 09:11 AM
Good morning

So, what does everyone think of yesterday's result? I watched the game with mixed emotions. Obviously, Ryan's first half was not pretty, but the way that he settled down in the second impressed me. I really thought we we're going to come back at the end. Our defense looked solid, Babineaux played brilliantly. I think we will win the return game at the Dome!

Sinico1234
15.09.2008, 10:04 AM
I was getting deja vu watching Matt Ryan at the start. Seemed last last year all over again. But then i remembered he's a rookie! In a way he needs to come up against tough D's to show him what the NFL is about. But i thought we could have won it, Red Zone offense isn't perfect yet. But rule out his interceptions and give us a TD on one drive and we would have been ahead. Tampa didn't have that much offensively that troubled our defense. Your right Babineaux looked like a beast! =] Still miss big Grady in the mix though.

Overall i thought both defenses really showed up last night. Just Matt's mistakes cost us. But the second half made me proud to be a Falcon. And next week will we own the Chiefs!

Khaled
15.09.2008, 11:05 AM
We knew Ryan would go through something like this ... and he handled it well. I think we got the gameplan a bit wrong and was a tad obvious expecting them to defend the run and nothing else. so going a bit pass and happy and not sticking with the run, especially in the redzone.

Still the defence played a good game for the most part even without Grady and Ryan showed that he has the confidence to get through this year. If we continue to improve then by the time we play them at the Dome I don't se why we couldn't beat them.

steven a h
16.09.2008, 03:13 PM
growing pains for our QB bot good news is he improved during the game. is it just me or does anybody else think the buccs are a dirty lot three late hits on ryan including being speared but he stuck with it so i give him a lot of credit

towen5
16.09.2008, 05:06 PM
Lawyer Milloy arrested for speeding and DUI on the way home from a strip club

http://www.ajc.com/blogs/content/shared-blogs/ajc/schultz/entries/2008/09/15/we_will_now_find_out_about_fal.html

exactly what we didn't want from the veteran leaders of the team. Interested to see whether the team bans him for a few games or not.

psj3809
16.09.2008, 05:38 PM
Hey guys.

Any of you been to Atlanta to see the Falcons play? I'm headed over for the Chiefs game in week 3 and I'm looking for tips on the area

Thanks!

Just go to Buckhead ! Thats all you need to know ! Been there before and it was brilliant, put on a 'Dick van ****' type english accent, tons of 'bloody hell mate' and that and you wont be sleeping alone ! ;) I had a brilliant time there, if i was a single bloke i would go straight there !!

Tons of friendly people, cute girls with great accents, you'll have a blast.

Riggo
16.09.2008, 05:55 PM

http://www.ajc.com/blogs/content/shared-blogs/ajc/schultz/entries/2008/09/15/we_will_now_find_out_about_fal.html

exactly what we didn't want from the veteran leaders of the team. Interested to see whether the team bans him for a few games or not.

Why isn't anybody ever ticketed for speeding home from church, or volunteer work?

towen5
16.09.2008, 06:03 PM

Why isn't anybody ever ticketed for speeding home from church, or volunteer work?

he was he just stopped by to pick up his friend..... ::)

NBlair
16.09.2008, 06:19 PM
Hey guys.

Thanks!

Just go to Buckhead ! Thats all you need to know ! Been there before and it was brilliant, put on a 'Dick van ****' type english accent, tons of 'bloody hell mate' and that and you wont be sleeping alone ! ;) I had a brilliant time there, if i was a single bloke i would go straight there !!

Tons of friendly people, cute girls with great accents, you'll have a blast.

Another mate told me to go there too! Don't think my girlfriend would approve :-\

towen5
18.09.2008, 02:55 AM
i hear its a very reputable area...

towen5
21.09.2008, 06:05 PM
Quite a few big plays for us, i was watching the first few possessions and we looked a bit flat but hopefully we can get this together

towen5
21.09.2008, 06:06 PM
Theres another, Coleman with the INT :P

towen5
21.09.2008, 07:28 PM
Is Anderson incapable of getting a sack, i mean its KC

towen5
21.09.2008, 08:45 PM
I think we can build on this and try and improve. We weren't superb today and a better team would have beaten us. Our schedule is tight from now on so we need to try and build on this confident performance.

dangerdanger
29.09.2008, 02:23 PM
I was just browsing Wikipedia whilst meant to be working and found out something interesting. Domonique Foxworth was born in Oxford, England! I think he should definitely start instead of Grimes now 8)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Domonique_Foxworth

towen5
29.09.2008, 06:10 PM
I was just browsing Wikipedia whilst meant to be working and found out something interesting. Domonique Foxworth was born in Oxford, England! I think he should definitely start instead of Grimes now 8)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Domonique_Foxworth

I wouldn't 100% trust that wiki page as its not locked. i could go on now and say he's born in China instead.

falcon_91
29.09.2008, 08:01 PM
I've heard that he was from Oxford when he was in Denver. Wiki although not 100% they do change lies when posted so something such as a Place of Birth would be pretty high up to be rechanged.

dangerdanger
30.09.2008, 09:16 AM
http://www.nfl.com/players/domoniquefoxworth/profile?id=FOX813566

There's proof for you :P

towen5
30.09.2008, 05:58 PM
Thats pretty cool. If we end up playing at Wembley you know they would not stop talking about it haha

towen5
01.10.2008, 02:02 PM
Falcons will using the No Huddle a lot more, it gained them the best drive of the game against the panthers

http://www.ajc.com/falcons/content/sports/falcons/stories/2008/09/30/falcons_matt_ryan_huddle.html

steven a h
01.10.2008, 10:18 PM
should have used it more against panthers

dangerdanger
02.10.2008, 11:55 AM
should have used it more against panthers

I read somewhere that they couldn't go back to it more as they only scripted one drive.

towen5
02.10.2008, 10:13 PM
yeh but the whole point of a no huddle offense is to pick plays based on the defense and give the QB control so it shouldnt have to be THAT scripted

dangerdanger
03.10.2008, 01:27 PM
True, but Ryan is still a rookie. Give him time and he'll be able to run it without the need of scripting.

towen5
09.10.2008, 01:24 AM
Cant wait for this game to be on SKY sunday night

steven a h
09.10.2008, 07:44 PM
boy i think this will be agood game

towen5
10.10.2008, 12:22 AM
white got injured after colliding with milloy in practice. not good. check game thread for link

Magnitude
10.10.2008, 12:39 AM
It'll be a good game ;D I nearly picked you for the upset (I did last week! :D)

towen5
10.10.2008, 02:48 PM
I think we can cause an upset

falcon_91
10.10.2008, 04:31 PM
Us beating the bears wont be an upset
They are a surprise team so far...but so are we

towen5
11.10.2008, 12:33 AM
Us beating the bears wont be an upset
They are a surprise team so far...but so are we

I know what you mean, but i simply meant it in the simple meaning that they will be upset because we have beaten them. i should of said i think we can win lol

Magnitude
11.10.2008, 12:46 PM
The Falcons O taking the Bears D down really would be an upset, I'm afraid :P Their run D is gonna hurt Turner (and my fantasy game!)

steven a h
11.10.2008, 08:00 PM
roddy white is qestionable if he dont play i dont fancy our chances

towen5
12.10.2008, 09:51 PM
that was an absolutely fantastic game and a credit to both organisations.

Spadesaregood
12.10.2008, 09:57 PM
Well played boys, the best 2 minutes of the season so far.

towen5
15.10.2008, 01:21 PM
I think this bye week has come at the perfect time

towen5
18.10.2008, 04:27 PM
Roddy White was told in the off season to try and play more like Torry Holt and Reggie Wayne....

I think he's been achieving it!

http://www.ajc.com/falcons/content/sports/falcons/index.html

mikeyjets
18.10.2008, 04:39 PM
Falcons have a real good chance of seeing the playoffs

towen5
18.10.2008, 04:50 PM
Falcons have a real good chance of seeing the playoffs

Hate to be pessimistic as you really seem to believe teams like the Falcons and Jets will make the playoffs this year you might be saddened to find i don't think we will be there. The Panthers and something called the NFC East will make sure of that.

towen5
18.10.2008, 07:40 PM
Ive written a blog and a thread on the Brady Ryan comparison i just wondered what you guys thought.

http://forum.nfluk.com/showthread.php?p=763493&posted=1#post763493 --- Thread

http://forum.nfluk.com/blog.php?b=40 --- Blog

towen5
29.10.2008, 05:38 AM
http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sports/falcons/stories/2008/10/28/falcons_sam_baker.html

Baker is out against Oakland so our run game might suffer, Oakland are weak against the run and I don't want to have to rely on Ryan and White beating Hall and Asomugha without any play action and rushing help.

steven a h
29.10.2008, 10:20 PM
falcons have signed LT wayne gandy so maybe sam bakers back surgery is worse than there saying.

falcon_91
29.10.2008, 11:34 PM
Baker isnt the be all and end all of our run game, i would hope that Dahl and Clabo can open up some nice lanes on the right.

But Gandy does suck

towen5
30.10.2008, 09:29 AM
He's big enough just to be placed in and he's not going to be expected to pancake everyone and get to the pro bowl. i think its a good experienced pick to last up until Baker gets healthy.

towen5
30.10.2008, 10:50 PM
But Gandy does suck

This is the same Gandy that started 16 games in 2006, the same season we were 1st in rushing, albeit we had Vick, but someone had to block for Vick too.

Khaled
30.10.2008, 10:54 PM
This is the same Gandy that started 16 games in 2006, the same season we were 1st in rushing, albeit we had Vick, but someone had to block for Vick too.

Agreed ... I always felt Gandy was useful if nothing else, especially in the run game. He's much better then Quinn Ojinnaka regardless in every face. In pass protection against a good team he'll probably be found out - but Weiner will be back by then hopefully, maybe even Baker.

towen5
30.10.2008, 10:59 PM
Agreed ... I always felt Gandy was useful if nothing else, especially in the run game. He's much better then Quinn Ojinnaka regardless in every face. In pass protection against a good team he'll probably be found out - but Weiner will be back by then hopefully, maybe even Baker.

I read your article it was very well written, where did you learn that?

falcon_91
30.10.2008, 11:10 PM
Even though we were #1 i nrushing for those years we weren't the best rushers, see how we did running th eball after Vick left. It was Vicks 700-1000 yards that made us #1 not amazing blocking and running backs and that was proved in 07 when we were 26th

Just likeVick covere dover holes in the pass blocking by running for his life to avoid sacks. I prefer to forget last year but if it showed anything it showed how poor our offensive line, and Gandy at LT was a big part of that.

As a back up i guess i can deal with him but i would prefer he wasn't even on the team.

towen5
30.10.2008, 11:14 PM
Even though we were #1 i nrushing for those years we weren't the best rushers, see how we did running th eball after Vick left. It was Vicks 700-1000 yards that made us #1 not amazing blocking and running backs and that was proved in 07 when we were 26th

Just likeVick covere dover holes in the pass blocking by running for his life to avoid sacks. I prefer to forget last year but if it showed anything it showed how poor our offensive line, and Gandy at LT was a big part of that.

As a back up i guess i can deal with him but i would prefer he wasn't even on the team.

you sound like you'd rather have 4 in the line than him....

falcon_91
30.10.2008, 11:15 PM
honestly i doubt you would see a difference

towen5
30.10.2008, 11:19 PM
I personally think he's better than anything we've got (borderline between him and Ojiinaka) he has been here before, knows his way around the place which will count for something. who else would you prefer!?

falcon_91
30.10.2008, 11:23 PM
he's been here but he was most successful under Alex Gibbs, he was dire under Petrino which is alot close to than ZBS to what we run now.

I'd prefer if need to shift people around, blalock has versatility if he was needed to play at RT so Clabo could move across. Weiner starting is a better option over gandy(which seems to be what is happening). I would suggest Foster but have just seen he is on PUP list and will probably move to IR soon.

towen5
31.10.2008, 02:37 PM
see Mike Carlson agrees with me about Jennings

http://www.nfluk.com/features/FMTE_311008.html#pagetop

The Falcons put up a fight in Philly, and had a shot at tying the game if not for Adam Jennings misplaying a punt. Yes I know he didn't actually touch it, but by farting around with it, he created the illusion that fooled the refs.

towen5
31.10.2008, 05:49 PM

He was only part of that team for the first 5 games, then blew his knee out for the rest of the season so its harsh to blame him for the drop

towen5
31.10.2008, 05:51 PM
he's been here but he was most successful under Alex Gibbs, he was dire under Petrino which is alot close to than ZBS to what we run now.

I'd prefer if need to shift people around, blalock has versatility if he was needed to play at RT so Clabo could move across. Weiner starting is a better option over gandy(which seems to be what is happening). I would suggest Foster but have just seen he is on PUP list and will probably move to IR soon.

I think Clabo and Dahl have played well on the right with Weiner at LT

Twilight_Prince
31.10.2008, 07:44 PM
i know this is off topic so im sorry lol

so whats happening with vick?

i know he has been prosicated and will be in jail for another.... 2 years?

but i heard something about something else he did so he might get 10 years?

towen5
01.11.2008, 03:03 AM
i know this is off topic so im sorry lol

so whats happening with vick?

i know he has been prosicated and will be in jail for another.... 2 years?

but i heard something about something else he did so he might get 10 years?

Its not off topic just a touchy topic. i think his original sentence is up in spring but he is potentially under scrutiny for more charges.

towen5
03.11.2008, 02:05 PM
I cant believe i missed that game! DAMN!
3 first downs! wow! the D really stepped up.
John Abraham Monster.
Michael Jenkins - 3rd season showing he in a 1st round receiver.
This has been amazing news.

falcon_91
03.11.2008, 07:04 PM
I'm not trying to **** on everyones bonfire - and it as a great win - but is it just me who is concerned that we only fully show up against bad teams.
Turner has 794 yards 6TDs but 463 yards and 5 of those TDs have come against KC,DET and the Raiders, so outside of those games he only has 331 yards and 1 TD in 5 games
Same goes for John Abraham he has 10 sacks but again 8 of those have come against KC,DET and the Raiders. I lobve us blowing out teams like we did last week but a bit of consistancy would be nice

towen5
03.11.2008, 08:31 PM
Yeah but at the start of the season you would have taken blowing out those teams and those teams only, we couldn't have blown out a candle last year. I dont care who its against this year, a win is a win for a team thats rebuilding.

towen5
03.11.2008, 08:34 PM
Having said that thought im slightly annoyed we didnt score in the whole 2nd half.

steven a h
03.11.2008, 08:41 PM
playing safe and unning out the clock for the whole second half

towen5
04.11.2008, 03:34 AM
playing safe and unning out the clock for the whole second half

That doesnt mean we shouldn't be scoring. we should still be able to get at least a FG.

towen5
06.11.2008, 04:02 PM
Foxworth climbs to top of depth chart for this weekends game, its unclear if he will replace Grimes or Houston. Hes a better player than both but was still learning the system but they obviously want him back to try and counter Brees' pass attack.

http://www.atlantafalcons.com/News/Articles/2008/11/1-10/Foxworth_looks_to_make_plays_in_increased_role.asp x

falcon_91
06.11.2008, 08:02 PM
Good move, he has been very impressive to me from what i have seen of him in a falcons uniform and will hopefully be a steal for a 6th pick - hoping we resign him

towen5
08.11.2008, 03:21 AM
Ive got a feeling we can stick it to these Saints come sunday. we need to snap this 4 game losing streak and get a division win.

towen5
08.11.2008, 03:46 AM
http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sports/falcons/stories/2008/11/07/falcons_arthur_blank.html

Amen to that!

towen5
12.11.2008, 03:56 PM
Cut Adam Jennings

http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sports/falcons/stories/2008/11/11/falcons_adam_jennings.html

falcon_91
12.11.2008, 09:01 PM
Awful doesn't even come close to his performance in a falcons uniform

ManBearPig
13.11.2008, 07:00 AM
Cut Adam Jennings

http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sports/falcons/stories/2008/11/11/falcons_adam_jennings.html

About time. Still wish we would use Norwood at punt returns, but Douglas is acceptable.

towen5
24.11.2008, 11:44 PM
ecstatic with the win against carolina, for 2 and half quarters we looked unstoppable.

How ironic is my last post :P

the last quarter of the season should be really competitive.

ManBearPig
25.11.2008, 01:53 AM
Yeah, I'm happily going to say that I was VERY wrong about Harry Douglas returning punts.

Even though the Denver loss still really hurts, going into that 3 game stretch at home the consensus was that if we took two out of three we would be in decent shape, so mission accomplished. San Diego's pretty much a must win also, though, so hopefully the O line continues its excellent work next week and we get to 8-4.

towen5
25.11.2008, 01:40 PM
This year produces a winning season and ill be very very happy.

towen5
25.11.2008, 11:48 PM
new deals for Jenkins and Babinauex. I dont think jenkins would have got one if he hadn't played well this season
http://www.ajc.com/falcons/content/sports/falcons/stories/2008/11/25/atlanta_falcons_news.html

falcon_91
26.11.2008, 12:12 AM
Just hope it wasnt a " play well til get paid again" (even though i doubt its blockbuster) kind of deal, if he keeps it up along with Roddy and Douglas/Robinson come through and show their worth we wil have a very good young starting group

Bab getting an extension is a move i like alot, will need veteran presence when Grady goes - if not this offseason next - and he has really stepped up this year

towen5
26.11.2008, 10:01 AM
Jenkins is around 4 year 20mil.

towen5
26.11.2008, 10:51 AM
According to PFF we have the 3 best tight end in the league, i never realised Ben Hartsock was such a gem!

nfljunky
26.11.2008, 12:01 PM
According to PFF we have the 3 best tight end in the league, i never realised Ben Hartsock was such a gem!

Hey thanks for highlighting a slight error with the logic in our report (it wasn't capturing all of either Peelle's or Hartsock's game and hence inflating their stats). It's now fixed and Hartsock is at #8.

The way we grade TE's is obviously different to most other people because:

a) we take account of their blocking performances
b) we don't just look at yardage and TD stats in the passing game

That said I'm still not happy because we assign equal weighting to both receiving and blocking. Whilst I may think this is right I know a lot of people who think receiving is far more important (whether that's a function of them not having any stats for blocking I can't say). I'd love to provide them with a weighting function so they can decide but that's a few versions away. :-)

Bottom line Hartsock is one of the best blocking TE's in the NFL and has been a major, although unheralded reason "The Burner" has done so well.

towen5
26.11.2008, 12:06 PM
Hey thanks for highlighting a slight error with the logic in our report (it wasn't capturing all of either Peelle's or Hartsock's game and hence inflating their stats). It's now fixed and Hartsock is at #8.

The way we grade TE's is obviously different to most other people because:

a) we take account of their blocking performances
b) we don't just look at yardage and TD stats in the passing game

That said I'm still not happy because we assign equal weighting to both receiving and blocking. Whilst I may think this is right I know a lot of people who think receiving is far more important (whether that's a function of them not having any stats for blocking I can't say). I'd love to provide them with a weighting function so they can decide but that's a few versions away. :-)

Bottom line Hartsock is one of the best blocking TE's in the NFL and has been a major, although unheralded reason "The Burner" has done so well.

I didnt think he would make such a massive impact when we signed him in the offseason but his arrival has made us all forget about Crumpler, who is having quite a poor season. i still think#8 is an achievement, the blocking of the whole offensive line has been nothing short of heroic. i hope turner appreciates it!

nfljunky
26.11.2008, 12:31 PM
I didnt think he would make such a massive impact when we signed him in the offseason but his arrival has made us all forget about Crumpler, who is having quite a poor season. i still think#8 is an achievement, the blocking of the whole offensive line has been nothing short of heroic. i hope turner appreciates it!

This isn't strictly true unless your talking purely from a pass recieving basis and even so it's probably not his fault. The reason being even though he's the starter he's seen primarily as a blocker (an area he's performing well in) with Bo Scaife being the preferred reciever and has ended up with less snaps than Bo (although close at 71% to 73%)
I think the stats we have tell the story quite well:

http://www.profootballfocus.com/by_position.php?tab=by_position&season=2008&pos=TE&stype=r&runpass=&teamid=31

towen5
26.11.2008, 12:40 PM
This isn't strictly true unless your talking purely from a pass recieving basis and even so it's probably not his fault. The reason being even though he's the starter he's seen primarily as a blocker (an area he's performing well in) with Bo Scaife being the preferred reciever and has ended up with less snaps than Bo (although close at 71% to 73%)
I think the stats we have tell the story quite well:

http://www.profootballfocus.com/by_position.php?tab=by_position&season=2008&pos=TE&stype=r&runpass=&teamid=31

wow i never really thought of Crumpler as a heavy blocker, i always thought of him as Vick's go to guy and a purely catching tight end. Although it would go some way to explain why Vick managed all those rushing yards and why we were such a good rushing team during his era.

falcon_91
26.11.2008, 05:30 PM
Jenkins is around 4 year 20mil.

Roddy is going to get paid like all his christmas' came at once
Jenkins is having a nice season, but its his first "nice season"
Roddy is on pace to statistically be the best WR we have ever had over a 2 year period.

towen5
26.11.2008, 05:37 PM
Roddy is on pace to statistically be the best WR we have ever had over a 2 year period.

Thats not the most impossible task to be fair and passing is getting easier.

psj3809
26.11.2008, 05:40 PM
Not only did he manage this impressive feat he was also cut by the Raiders...being cut by the Raiders is basically like being given retirement papers pre-signed

Just seen your signature ! Bit harsh ! You seem to have a short memory as Atlanta have been where Oakland currently is several times ! Talk about putting the knife in when a teams already down !

falcon_91
26.11.2008, 05:40 PM
Well hes also proving that he is a top 10 WR in the league, if we pay that for Jenkins i shudder at what we will pay him(and i hope we do but i dont want to over pay for him)

falcon_91
26.11.2008, 05:44 PM
Just seen your signature ! Bit harsh ! You seem to have a short memory as Atlanta have been where Oakland currently is several times ! Talk about putting the knife in when a teams already down !

we havent been there for 5 years and with Al Davis in charge you would think Halls physical talents would help save him!

All i mean to say is that its hsowing how over rated Hall is not a shot at OAK.

falcon_91
26.11.2008, 11:19 PM
It's now fixed and Hartsock is at #8.

Right on que

The Atlanta Falcons on Wednesday placed tight end Ben Hartsock on season-ending injured reserve. A free-agent acquisition this past offseason, Hartsock injured his toe during Sunday’s 45-28 victory against the Carolina Panthers. In a corresponding move, the Falcons signed tight end Jason Rader, who had two previous stints with the Falcons this season

Source: Yahoo Sports

Razors Edge
26.11.2008, 11:22 PM
We'll trade you Ben Watson for a #3 in the off-season :)

He's a Georgia boy too.....

Razors Edge
26.11.2008, 11:30 PM
A couple of questions - what's your opinion of Thomas Dimitroff?

Also, looking at the draft next year, what needs do you have and would like to see filled?

falcon_91
26.11.2008, 11:35 PM
So far and from what ive heard..very sensible and successful drafter.
He has also already said that we wont go BPA in the 1st it will be need based and someone who fits our system.

As for what we need..a run stuffing DT,OLB, a big time pass catching TE.

towen5
28.11.2008, 06:56 PM
http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sports/falcons/stories/2008/11/27/falcons_michael_turner.html

nice little article with stats on Turners first downs, White receiver and out scoring opponents in the first quarter.

As far as Dimitroff is concerned he had an excellent draft but im interested to see how he does in the future when he's not scouting the players himself.

towen5
28.11.2008, 10:51 PM
Haha Just seen Adam Jennings muffed his first punt return for the Lions, he really needs to get a sports psycologist to work on his nerves or something.

He's done now. You cant make it at the Lions go home. AFL adam?

towen5
30.11.2008, 11:41 PM
this is entirely refreshing, i used to watch other teams and wish we could get a safety or block a FG ot get INT's.

For the 3 years ive watched the NFL we have hardly done any of those.

I am now a happy guy and i love where out defense is going.

steven a h
01.12.2008, 08:27 PM
that win with those takeaways was amazing

kendall128
01.12.2008, 09:30 PM
WOW falcons this year, what a turn around.
Ryan has been outstanding and him connecting with White so well is just unstopable. Turner has also been great in what you could call his first real year.
Their defence is also strong now, they have a good strong front line and everyone is signing contracts there aswell.
Its looking good for the future in Atlanta.

towen5
05.12.2008, 03:29 PM
I just wantto thank SKY for being very kind to us this year, we have had around 4 games already shown on either the main channel or red button. And now we have another two weeks on the main channel. Fantastic!

falcon_91
05.12.2008, 05:38 PM
Can't believe especially as we had 0 prime time games
and we only got one of the 10pm games due to schedule flip, turned out alot better than i had hoped

towen5
05.12.2008, 05:44 PM
I think its to do with their flex scheduling where they pick games only a few weeks in advance. Theyve seen we are an exciting team and especially as we are coming to the season finish in such a battle. Should be great games for us!

ManBearPig
07.12.2008, 09:40 PM
That's it, we need to win out. The Saints loss HURTS more than any as long as i can remember.

On a side note, does anyone think Turner might be getting worn down a little. He doesn't seem to have the same burst he had earlier in the season, and he has been getting 25+ carries a game, so it is a possibility.

towen5
07.12.2008, 09:42 PM
That's it, we need to win out. The Saints loss HURTS more than any as long as i can remember.

On a side note, does anyone think Turner might be getting worn down a little. He doesn't seem to have the same burst he had earlier in the season, and he has been getting 25+ carries a game, so it is a possibility.

i dont think he has performed as well as the media has portrayed him if im honest. he has been fantastic but runs inside too often and seems to only perform against bad rush D and in the the redzone.

towen5
10.12.2008, 06:38 PM
Terrence Moore has admitted that he was wrong for suggesting the Falcons did the wrong thing not picking up Glenn Dorsey in the draft

http://www.ajc.com/blogs/content/shared-blogs/ajc/moore/entries/2008/12/10/falcons_were_right_on_ryan_i_w.html

SteButt
10.12.2008, 09:18 PM
Terrence Moore has admitted that he was wrong for suggesting the Falcons did the wrong thing not picking up Glenn Dorsey in the draft

http://www.ajc.com/blogs/content/shared-blogs/ajc/moore/entries/2008/12/10/falcons_were_right_on_ryan_i_w.html

Atlanta needed leadership, thus a QB was the right pick. Though I bet few thought he'd be this good, I've been impressed / worried!

towen5
10.12.2008, 09:28 PM
Atlanta needed leadership, thus a QB was the right pick. Though I bet few thought he'd be this good, I've been impressed / worried!

Its rare that you'd pick a rookie QB for leadership. In fact i think thats the biggest surprise about Ryan and why he has been so successful.

I should also stress that we needed leadership for offense. Defense has Brooking, Milloy, Jackson and Abraham! ;)

towen5
11.12.2008, 02:35 PM
Finally some love for our over performing O Line. They have been devastingly good this for a group that doesnt have a pro bowl between them.

http://www.ledger-enquirer.com/227/story/540789.html

towen5
12.12.2008, 02:28 PM
We are prime slots on TV again! and next week.

3 weeks on the trot this is marvellous!

towen5
12.12.2008, 04:00 PM
We are on course to annihilate the record for fewest punt return yardage allowed in a season

Koenen has punted 48 times this season and just 15 have been returned for only 26 yards, 28 yards under the record. Koenen’s punts have led to 20 fair catches, most of which were covered by Antoine Harris, who suffered a groin injury and was placed on injury reserved Tuesday.

http://www.ajc.com/falcons/content/sports/falcons/stories/2008/12/11/falcons_punt_coverage_record.html

Probably part of the reason we have given up a lot of yards while not conceding a lot of points this season.

towen5
15.12.2008, 01:02 PM
Right with two games left in the season, who would have predicted the Falcons would have a winning season locked down! 9 wins! Not to mention a playoff push. We know what we have to do, 2 wins is not a guarentee to get through. We have to win both and Dallas or Tampa slip up.

Falcons
Week 16:@ Vikings
Week 17:vs Rams

Both games are winnable. While the Vikings pose the toughest test it will still be difficult to beat the Rams if we are too complacent.

Tampa
Week 16:vs Chargers
Week 17:vs Raiders

Two home games and not the most difficult end to the season, will want to secure playoff spot and are likely to win both. Chargers remain best bet for ruining their season.

Dallas
Week 16:vs Ravens
Week 17:@ Eagles

This could come down to the last game of the season, we win out and we need one of these teams to stop the 'Boys.

askey07
15.12.2008, 01:24 PM
We will beat Minnesota & St. Louis, 11-5 Final Record (Who would've thought it?!)
Tampa will lose to San Diego & beat Oakland, 10-6 Final Record
Dallas will lose to Baltimore & Eagles, 9-7 Final Record

Therefore Atlanta and Tampa get the WIldcard Spots. =]

Khaled
15.12.2008, 01:46 PM
In any case its a nerve wracking end, I think Dallas holds the tiebreaker over Tampa and Tampa holds a tiebreaker over us (strength of victory because Seattle beat St Louis) presuming everyone wins out.

However if Carolina loses out (which is entirely possible with them facing the Giants and Saints) then we would hold the conference tiebreaker over them along with Tampa Bay, and then the Panthers would miss out on the playoffs.

I think.

It's a very tangled web at the moment.

otaki04
15.12.2008, 02:11 PM
We will beat Minnesota & St. Louis, 11-5 Final Record (Who would've thought it?!)
Tampa will lose to San Diego & beat Oakland, 10-6 Final Record
Dallas will lose to Baltimore & Eagles, 9-7 Final Record

Therefore Atlanta and Tampa get the WIldcard Spots. =]

I agree with your predictions as far as the Falcons are concerned but i don't think we will lose our remaining games. After the way our D-Line - performed yesterday I can see us winning the two and making the play offs. I personally would like to see the Falcons in the playoffs, think as a team they deserve it!! Matt Ryan has been awesome this season and I think a future league MVP in the making.

Selfishly though – Go Cowboys!!!!

askey07
15.12.2008, 03:08 PM
I agree with your predictions as far as the Falcons are concerned but i don't think we will lose our remaining games. After the way our D-Line - performed yesterday I can see us winning the two and making the play offs. I personally would like to see the Falcons in the playoffs, think as a team they deserve it!! Matt Ryan has been awesome this season and I think a future league MVP in the making.

Selfishly though – Go Cowboys!!!!
So therefore your going for Atlanta and Dallas to get into the playoffs, or you jsut hope Atlanta get into the playoffs?!

towen5
15.12.2008, 08:46 PM
our current playoff situation, and its currently out of our hands and we are stuck in #7 and out of them

http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sports/falcons/stories/2008/12/15/atlanta_falcons_nfl_playoffs.html

otaki04
16.12.2008, 08:33 AM
So therefore your going for Atlanta and Dallas to get into the playoffs, or you jsut hope Atlanta get into the playoffs?!

Sorry didn't exactly make that clear, for me it has to be the Falcons and the Cowboys who pick up the two wildcard spots!!

towen5
16.12.2008, 01:44 PM
Sorry didn't exactly make that clear, for me it has to be the Falcons and the Cowboys who pick up the two wildcard spots!!

that would mean either carolina lose both their games or tampa losing one and the falcons winning both.

askey07
16.12.2008, 02:20 PM
Tampa lsoing a game isn't too hard to imagine, with no Jermaine Phillips or Derrick Brooks against San Diego. I believe San Diego can go to Tampa and get a result. I also believe that Minnesota without Pat Williams, will not be able to cope with Turner or Norwood. I think the Atlanta-Minnesota game, will be whether Ryan or Jackson (If he starts) throws more accurately and gives up the least number of turnovers. As it will most likely be a game more suited to the pass, as both teams will be attempting to stop the run.
Thoughts?!

otaki04
16.12.2008, 02:27 PM
Tampa lsoing a game isn't too hard to imagine, with no Jermaine Phillips or Derrick Brooks against San Diego. I believe San Diego can go to Tampa and get a result. I also believe that Minnesota without Pat Williams, will not be able to cope with Turner or Norwood. I think the Atlanta-Minnesota game, will be whether Ryan or Jackson (If he starts) throws more accurately and gives up the least number of turnovers. As it will most likely be a game more suited to the pass, as both teams will be attempting to stop the run.
Thoughts?!

I have to agree with you, i can see the Chargers overcoming the Bucs and it wouldn't surprise me if the Falcons won out their remaining two games; especially since you end the season at home to the Rams!! I don't think the fact that your destiny is out of your hands should bother you to much, though if Tampa bay can win against the Chargers then it would have to be the Boys to lose in week 17, don't really foresee the Bucs losing to the Raiders in Tampa!!

Stubbsy #21
16.12.2008, 05:45 PM
don't really foresee the Bucs losing to the Raiders in Tampa!!

Stranger things have happened though.

steven a h
25.12.2008, 12:23 AM
go falcons what an awesome season its great

towen5
25.12.2008, 01:32 AM
hurah! merry xmas Falcons!

towen5
27.12.2008, 02:25 AM
Cant wait for the weekends games, praying to all the gods that New Orleans can do us a favour and beat Carolina!

falcon_91
27.12.2008, 03:04 AM
Ryan and Turner bought all of our o-line and Pelle + Hartstoke(sp?) 42" plasma tvs for christmas

Looking out for the big guys! mind you with combined contracts of over $100m im sure they can afford it

towen5
27.12.2008, 04:02 AM
Ryan and Turner bought all of our o-line and Pelle + Hartstoke(sp?) 42" plasma tvs for christmas

Looking out for the big guys! mind you with combined contracts of over $100m im sure they can afford it

such a good little story about the new look Falcons

ClemsonPanther
29.12.2008, 03:28 PM
Atlanta are a force in the NFC now. They will not be knocked out of the playoffs easily.

steven a h
30.12.2008, 01:19 AM
falcon fans out there yous must be in heaven. the turn arounnd is astounding. our out look is good we have the foundations to be a condender over the next few years.

towen5
01.01.2009, 04:56 PM
http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d80dc0d36

happy new year, just watched a review of the year and ive still got goosebumps.

Razors Edge
01.01.2009, 05:09 PM
Where can I get my Falcons for the SB bandwagon t-shirt? :)

towen5
28.01.2009, 02:14 PM
http://www.ajc.com/blogs/content/shared-blogs/ajc/moore/entries/2009/01/26/falcons_white_paying_attention.html

White wanting to learn how to win playoff games

towen5
28.01.2009, 02:14 PM
http://www.ajc.com/business/content/business/stories/2009/01/27/georgia_dome_suites.html

i hope the slow sales are down to the economy, as anyone that turns down the chance to re-buy after last season is a shame-hunter!

towen5
21.02.2009, 02:42 PM
http://www.thefalcoholic.com/

for more falcon specific chat, where are you guys!?

we have a massive offseason coming up theres loads to talk about.

AJC are reporting we are looking hard at CB's and DE's in the draft - http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sports/falcons/stories/2009/02/20/falcons_nfl_combine.html

im slightly dissallusioned by the fact there are no quotes about this from Dimitrofs mouth. CB is not a primary need, we need a pass rush and a safety before we go out CB hunting.

Dimitrof has also stated only through the draft, so dont be looking for any Haynesworth type free agency moves. Looks like its going to be boring till draft day for us.

towen5
24.02.2009, 09:09 PM
Milloy is going to try free agency. Most likely will return to Seattle.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d80ee6efe&template=without-video-with-comments&confirm=true

falcon_91
24.02.2009, 10:10 PM
No great surprise about Milloy, was good to have him for a tutorial side but his ocerage skills just dont fit the Cover-2 system and he was visibly exposed at times - highlighted in the playoffs - hopefully DeCoud can step up or by some freak happening we selected Eric Berry next year(a boy can dream)

steven a h
01.03.2009, 02:05 PM
lj smith the eagles TE to yhe falcons is being rumoured what yous think????

mande!LA
01.03.2009, 02:46 PM
Would you take pettigrew if he was still available?

towen5
01.03.2009, 02:49 PM
Would you take pettigrew if he was still available?

not if we sign a TE in free agency.

We are going all defense in the draft after losing Boley, Foxworth, Brooking, Milloy & Davis.

falcon_91
01.03.2009, 05:31 PM
No to both

LJ Smith commits alot of penalties and at times has worse hands than Roddy in his first 2 years, we can pick up a much better TE in the 3rd.

TE isnt close to our biggest need so if we spend our 1st on Pettigrew skipping over OLB prospects such as Cushing or maybe even Laurenitis i'll be very ******.

towen5
01.03.2009, 07:13 PM
With the amount of guaranteed money the players we have let go we are due to get around 2/3 3rd round compesatory picks which is pretty unbelieveable really.

towen5
06.03.2009, 01:20 PM
Looks like LJ Smith may still be on and we are courting a lineman called Daniel Loper who was a backup at Tenneesee. 6'6" and 320pounds aparently he has what it takes to start for us.

http://blogs.ajc.com/atlanta-falcons-blog/2009/03/05/smiths-visit-to-the-branch-went-great/

towen5
09.03.2009, 07:36 PM
Mike Peterson visiting.

http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sports/falcons/stories/2009/03/09/atlanta_falcons_mike_peterson.html

towen5
10.03.2009, 04:11 AM
Mike Peterson signed, 3 year deal. Figures are unreleased as of yet.

http://blogs.nfl.com/2009/03/09/falcons-agree-to-terms-with-former-jags-lb-peterson/

towen5
15.03.2009, 12:41 AM
Signed LJ Smith

figures to come
http://myespn.go.com/blogs/nfcsouth/0-9-71/Smith-says-he-s-going-to-Atlanta.html

falcon_91
16.03.2009, 12:29 AM
Hes not fit to hold peeles/hartsocks helmet

He'd probably just drop it anyway though

towen5
16.03.2009, 12:12 PM
Hes not fit to hold peeles/hartsocks helmet

He'd probably just drop it anyway though

TBF he has a very impressive toolset and was vital downfield blocker for Westbrook. I doubt he will be on a big contract hence taking so long to sign so im not against it, TD earnt his right to make unqeustioned decisions last year.

towen5
16.03.2009, 06:57 PM
LJ Smith now NOT going to the Falcons because of a lack of blocking ability, failed to install Pancake block incentives within his contract.

http://blogs.ajc.com/atlanta-falcons-blog/2009/03/16/lj-falcons-need-to-put-a-ring-on-it/

falcon_91
17.03.2009, 09:30 AM
I never really understood why we were intrested in him.
Our system requires a good blocker which LJ Smith isn't, throw in recent injuries and droppsies he just isn't our kind of TE.

olig23
19.03.2009, 11:07 AM
Guys, if Rey Maualuga slides to #24 would you expect the Falcons too take him and move Lofton outside?

Also, others I think they might consider are Louis Delmas (safety), Peria Jerry (DT), James Laureaitis (LB) and Brandon Pettigrew (TE).

Thoughts...

towen5
19.03.2009, 03:30 PM
Guys, if Rey Maualuga slides to #24 would you expect the Falcons too take him and move Lofton outside?

Also, others I think they might consider are Louis Delmas (safety), Peria Jerry (DT), James Laureaitis (LB) and Brandon Pettigrew (TE).

Thoughts...

We lost 5 starters in FA so we are definitely going defense with the first two picks, i think we'll have half an eye on Gresham for next year rather than Pettigrew this year.

We wont move Lofton as we have sign Peterson and i think ive read that he is the one being moved. Lofton doesnt have the coverage skills to play our cover 2 OLB, which is why we let Boley and Brooking go.

My candidates would be William Moore (S), Cushing (OLB), Clay Matthews (OLB), Clint Sintim (OLB) or Alphonso Smith (CB)

i would also say because we can get maybe some of those in the second we will trade down.

olig23
19.03.2009, 03:38 PM
We lost 5 starters in FA so we are definitely going defense with the first two picks, i think we'll have half an eye on Gresham for next year rather than Pettigrew this year.

We wont move Lofton as we have sign Peterson and i think ive read that he is the one being moved. Lofton doesnt have the coverage skills to play our cover 2 OLB, which is why we let Boley and Brooking go.

My candidates would be William Moore (S), Cushing (OLB), Clay Matthews (OLB), Clint Sintim (OLB) or Alphonso Smith (CB)

i would also say because we can get maybe some of those in the second we will trade down.

I read that the falcons are quite happy with their young cornerbacks... Is Decoud likely to be the starter at safety next to Erik Coleman? I like william Moore too although I think Delmas is a better football player if less athletic.

What about DT, given the loss of Grady Jackson do you think Moorehead can start? I'd be surprised to see them go for Sintum. I reckon he'll be a top player but he is not the best in coverage, or are you thinking as a DE. I cannot see Matthews and Cushing being available that low despite Maualuga being as good I just cannot see Houston, Buffalo and New Orleans all passing them up.

towen5
19.03.2009, 04:13 PM
I read that the falcons are quite happy with their young cornerbacks... Is Decoud likely to be the starter at safety next to Erik Coleman? I like william Moore too although I think Delmas is a better football player if less athletic.

What about DT, given the loss of Grady Jackson do you think Moorehead can start? I'd be surprised to see them go for Sintum. I reckon he'll be a top player but he is not the best in coverage, or are you thinking as a DE. I cannot see Matthews and Cushing being available that low despite Maualuga being as good I just cannot see Houston, Buffalo and New Orleans all passing them up.

i can see DeCoud starting he has impressed since he arrived and i think he allows us to look at other positions. Obviously who is available will come down to the day and because we have so many holes it will depend on other teams picks, i still think we will trade down.

There is talk of shifting Jamaal Anderson to DT and drafting a DE like Johnson (im against entirely)

There are a few players who most will have forgotten because they have been injured. We sign Von Hutchins at CB last year and he is still a good prospect for number 1 CB, also we drafted a great DT in Trey Lewis in the late rounds a few years back and he has been injured since pre season, we are looking at bringing him back in alongside the very impressive Babineux and really we have Moorehead and we resigned Jefferson as depth.

I think TD's philosophy is to get a lot of hard working guys and put them in the starting slots and make them play better than expected rather than spend on a lot on a guy who plays average for their own abilities which is equal to the worse guy playing to his best if that makes any sense.

The players we let go, we let go because we believe the guys we have can cover and we are building through the draft, i still expect us to pick up a FA TE although Hartsock was the best blocking TE in the league last year we need someone who can compete with Peele for the catching TE spot.

Really its trade down or OLB if im honest, i dont think Coy Wire has enough to be a starter, Stephen Nicholas has been impressive and waited behind Brooking and earned his chance.

falcon_91
19.03.2009, 10:51 PM
I would hardly call Trey Lewis a great DT

he's ended the last 2 years on the IR and I would generally be surprised if hes taken 100 snaps in his pro career.

As we aren't showing any signs of bringing Grady back we need a big run stuffer, unfortunatly BJ Raji's stock has risen significantly and theres essentially no chance we get him theres no real value at DT, same with Cushing his stock has risen where he is project 10-15 in most peoples mocks.

The only way we would take Rey would be if we think he can play at WLB for us.

Khaled
19.03.2009, 11:30 PM
The draft should be an interesting one. Defence would seem the way to go ... but I could see us going offence just as easily. If Pettigrew is there then for the sake of building a somewhat unstoppable offence, I think we may delay investing high picks on the defence for a year (with the feeling being it will take more then one draft to sort out our defence)

That said I would like to see us pick up a DT in the first 3 rounds. I have concerns whether there will be someone who fits into our scheme well enough, but that would be the first issue I would try and address. Failing that there seems a lot of OLB talent that could go in the first two rounds and linebackers tend to make the quickest adjustment to the NFL so that would seem an obvious place to target especially if some of the guys start to fall.

Safety ... well I just don't see the kind of versatile safety we're looking for. Delmas looks like a solid high character guy, Moore was woeful this year and doesn't have the coverage skills we are said to be looking for in a safety.

After last year when I was disappointed on missing out on Dorsey I'm going to sit back and trust whatever moves TD makes. We're maybe two years away from being a realistic contender so I'll be happy to see more building blocks put into place.

towen5
20.03.2009, 03:45 AM
The draft should be an interesting one. Defence would seem the way to go ... but I could see us going offence just as easily. If Pettigrew is there then for the sake of building a somewhat unstoppable offence, I think we may delay investing high picks on the defence for a year (with the feeling being it will take more then one draft to sort out our defence)

That said I would like to see us pick up a DT in the first 3 rounds. I have concerns whether there will be someone who fits into our scheme well enough, but that would be the first issue I would try and address. Failing that there seems a lot of OLB talent that could go in the first two rounds and linebackers tend to make the quickest adjustment to the NFL so that would seem an obvious place to target especially if some of the guys start to fall.

Safety ... well I just don't see the kind of versatile safety we're looking for. Delmas looks like a solid high character guy, Moore was woeful this year and doesn't have the coverage skills we are said to be looking for in a safety.

After last year when I was disappointed on missing out on Dorsey I'm going to sit back and trust whatever moves TD makes. We're maybe two years away from being a realistic contender so I'll be happy to see more building blocks put into place.

i agree with that almost entirely, TD has earned the trust in his first year and he will make the right choice, firstly i wouldnt be surprised if we made the move to a 3-4 defense but a more hybrid secretive version where the other team dont know its coming and secondly if we waited until next year to get Gresham at TE and traded down for 2 2nd rounders.

Stubbsy #21
20.03.2009, 10:00 AM
I can only agree on the thoughts above mine. Here's who I would be happy with us taking if they were available at #24:

Brian Cushing (unlikely I know)
Clay Matthews
James Laurinaitis (sp)
Louis Delmas
Brandon Pettigrew (not completely sold on him though)

We do need to take a monster DT at some point preferably relatively early on. Also I would love it if next year we were in a position where we could take Eric Berry but that would rely on us having a poor year as Berry could be the next superstar safety.

Khaled
20.03.2009, 10:02 AM
I like the idea of Gresham, but I imagine that we won't drop off enough to be in a position to pick him. He looks like the kind of elite tight end that could go top 10 (thats me being hugely speculative)

I think I've said it before but if we were going to go 3-4 I wouldn't see the logic in resigning Babineaux, and it would be a waste of Abraham. I look at a move to a 3-4 being as disastrous for us as it could be for the Broncos who are left completely building a new defence. I think we have some building blocks in place that our 4-3 can work (Babineaux, Abraham, Lofton) and a scheme that got the best out of the players we already have.

I think we could see an increase in the use of 3-4 fronts for sure, especially given how much we're likely to rotate Abraham out, and I like Biermann in that hybrid role. Provides some good flexibility for sure.

I quite like the idea of trading down. I think we're drafting at an awkward place where the difference in talent won't be that different from whats available 10-15 picks later in the positions we're looking at. If we can trade down and pick up something additional that would be ideal, but then most teams would probably be looking to do this.

towen5
20.03.2009, 12:53 PM
A list of the prospects that have either been interviewed or scheduled a workout with us. should give us some idea what TD is thinking.

http://thebirdsnestblog.blogspot.com/2009/03/roundup-draft-prospects-falcons-have.html

falcon_91
20.03.2009, 05:58 PM
Also I would love it if next year we were in a position where we could take Eric Berry but that would rely on us having a poor year as Berry could be the next superstar safety.
I would die and go to heaven

If we could get the same sort of dealphilly did last year from Carolina i think that we will have to take a long hard look at it as i think its doubtful any of our big tagets will be left.

towen5
02.04.2009, 05:34 PM
Not much going on over here, what is everyone hoping we pick with the no. 24?

Im definitely looking at S (my favourite being Delmas) or OLB (Matthews, Sintim)

falcon_91
02.04.2009, 06:43 PM
Sintim or some form of trade for me

as for Gresham next year...thanks but no thanks any TE from the spread is almost guarenteed to not suite us, am im not picking a TE in the 1st to only bring in, in passing situations.

Khaled
03.04.2009, 12:23 AM
There isn't a player I really like at 24. All the safeties are 2nd round talent in my mind, the linebackers I don't think are complete enough to work in our system, and the DT's who should be available are too similar to Babineaux to warrant consideration.

If I had to ... I'm coming round on the idea of Pettigrew simply because I think he'll make players around him better and it may be worth building a complete and almost unstoppable offence as opposed to throwing picks as a defence that will take a few years before being championship claibre. Defensively, Clay Matthews could be the guy I think would work in our system more then the other linebackers. A safety should be available in round 2.

towen5
03.04.2009, 02:44 AM
There isn't a player I really like at 24. All the safeties are 2nd round talent in my mind, the linebackers I don't think are complete enough to work in our system, and the DT's who should be available are too similar to Babineaux to warrant consideration.

If I had to ... I'm coming round on the idea of Pettigrew simply because I think he'll make players around him better and it may be worth building a complete and almost unstoppable offence as opposed to throwing picks as a defence that will take a few years before being championship claibre. Defensively, Clay Matthews could be the guy I think would work in our system more then the other linebackers. A safety should be available in round 2.

im definitely looking towards trading down and having 3 2nd round picks, but it depends on draft day and if there are guys left who someone is willing to trade down for.

falcon_91
03.04.2009, 01:48 PM
With the recent revelations of steroids if Brian Cushing falls to us would you want us to take him?

towen5
03.04.2009, 02:45 PM
With the recent revelations of steroids if Brian Cushing falls to us would you want us to take him?

but thats not the kind of guy that TD would want if he is dropping for a character issue.

falcon_91
03.04.2009, 06:57 PM
While true its not like the Pats never had a bad guy on their team. I mean they drafted Brandon Merriweather in the 1st with arguably bigger red flags (i throw out the shooting incident though as he imo did nothing wrong there) with his part in the Miami/FSU brawl etc.

Personnally id want us to snap him up.

towen5
03.04.2009, 07:00 PM
While true its not like the Pats never had a bad guy on their team. I mean they drafted Brandon Merriweather in the 1st with arguably bigger red flags (i throw out the shooting incident though as he imo did nothing wrong there) with his part in the Miami/FSU brawl etc.

Personnally id want us to snap him up.

TBH i feel like we have one of those picks where im never going to be over the moon and im never going to be highly disappointed. I guess its how the Pats feel every year where they just have to wait and see how the pick turns out.

steven a h
16.04.2009, 10:26 AM
talk of TE tony gonzales for a 2nd round pick i would not give more than a 3rd he is 33. what you think??????

towen5
16.04.2009, 12:59 PM
talk of TE tony gonzales for a 2nd round pick i would not give more than a 3rd he is 33. what you think??????

a 2nd is too much for a situational player.

falcon_91
18.04.2009, 05:56 PM
*A potential draft-day trade between the Chiefs and Falcons could become a reality, since the Falcons need a DT to replace Grady Jackson, and the Chiefs are looking to move DT Glenn Dorsey, and acquire more picks...*

http://www.eastcoastsportsnews.com/als09scoop.html

Saw this on the falcons board, im not going to pretend i've heard of this site before but he apparently called Peters to the eagles nearly 2 months ago! and has ahd some other decent shouts.

I'd give a first for him all day every day. He doesnt fit the chiefs anymore and it wouldn't shock me if he is up for the chop. If we play him how he should be not like the chiefs did he would fit our defense perfectly i think. Although i would hope it wouldn't mean the end for Babs as the both play at UT.

towen5
18.04.2009, 07:21 PM
http://www.eastcoastsportsnews.com/als09scoop.html

Saw this on the falcons board, im not going to pretend i've heard of this site before but he apparently called Peters to the eagles nearly 2 months ago! and has ahd some other decent shouts.

I'd give a first for him all day every day. He doesnt fit the chiefs anymore and it wouldn't shock me if he is up for the chop. If we play him how he should be not like the chiefs did he would fit our defense perfectly i think. Although i would hope it wouldn't mean the end for Babs as the both play at UT.

Thanks for sharing this, maybe it will include Gonzalez but that would likely cost our first...

falcon_91
18.04.2009, 10:53 PM
We've denied offering a 2nd for Tony.G :D

Khaled
24.04.2009, 04:50 AM
Do we now have one of the most complete offences in the NFL?

Did we before?

How does this change your expectations going into the draft/ training camp/ new season?

For me, we now can focus exclusively on defence, but we have the kind of offence that has the potential to be unstoppable if players continue/ develop on from last year and we don't suffer any major injuries.

The defence is a concern, but we're asking some young players to step up ... and maybe some of them will.

I'm not going to get caught up talking about a superbowl but i like our chances of making the playoffs.

DeanMoriarty
24.04.2009, 09:25 AM
Matt Ryan is a one season wonder. Tony Gonzalez will get injured in preseason. And your wide receivers all seek carnal knowledge with members of the same gender...

Man censorship is a *****!

towen5
24.04.2009, 12:39 PM
Matt Ryan is a one season wonder. Tony Gonzalez will get injured in preseason. And your wide receivers all seek carnal knowledge with members of the same gender...

wow thats fantastic, you managed to make yourself look infinitely more stupid than i could.

dangerdanger
24.04.2009, 01:05 PM
Do we now have one of the most complete offences in the NFL?

Did we before?

How does this change your expectations going into the draft/ training camp/ new season?

For me, we now can focus exclusively on defense, but we have the kind of offense that has the potential to be unstoppable if players continue/ develop on from last year and we don't suffer any major injuries.

The defense is a concern, but we're asking some young players to step up ... and maybe some of them will.

I'm not going to get caught up talking about a superbowl but i like our chances of making the playoffs.

I do like the look of our offense, and I agree we should focus heavily on defense. However I'm a little worried by our depth on the O-line. Now that Weiner has retired, McClure's alleged contract dispute and Sam Baker so far hasn't proved he can stay healthy it could go wrong very quickly. I would like if we were able to snap up one of the highly rated centers that could fall to us (Unger/Wood/Mack) in the second round.

Khaled
24.04.2009, 03:59 PM
I wouldn't be completely opposed to that move. Even if someone like Eben Britton falls I could be interested in that since I think Clabo is more guard then tackle and could provide depth on the ol.

McClure's situation is an interesting one, I don't think he'll holdout or retire and he'll play for another year before demanding more and by then we'll probably be looking for his replacement. Very underrated player.

falcon_91
24.04.2009, 08:15 PM

and your defense is still a turnstyle
a rookie..a rookie went for 563 yards and 3 TDs in just 2 games against you. you should be ashamed.
wow what a wonderful game this is

As for the trade im not exactly happy about it as i think we will be picking in the teen's with an 8-8 record.
It shouldnt change our 1st day plans which should still be DE and OLB

steven a h
25.04.2009, 03:27 PM
we need help on the Oline but defece must be our NO1 priority i think a good outside backer will come to us at 24 clint sintim, clay matthews or i think james laurinaitis is coming to the falcons. then in rOUND 2 we must go either best CB or DLINEMAN on the board paul kruger robert ayers make sense to me what you think guys?????

towen5
25.04.2009, 03:32 PM
we need help on the Oline but defece must be our NO1 priority i think a good outside backer will come to us at 24 clint sintim, clay matthews or i think james laurinaitis is coming to the falcons. then in rOUND 2 we must go either best CB or DLINEMAN on the board paul kruger robert ayers make sense to me what you think guys?????

Ayers wont make our round 2. Best OLB, CB, S, DT on the board at 24. BPA at any of those positions. If anything i would love Delmas at 24.

Khaled
26.04.2009, 03:34 AM
Pretty content with day one. I was sure we'd trade down, but Jerry was great value, and Moore offers good potential. I'm not completely sold on him. But he's worth a 2nd rounder because if he works out, and hopefully with better coaching he does, then thats great value.

Day 2 should probably bring with it some linebacker help above all else, maybe a DE project (Michael Johnson - could he fall?) and some form of offensive tackle help.

I think we've got one starter, and one guy whose going to compete for a starting place so far ... probably means that Nicholas will be a starter next year.

falcon_91
26.04.2009, 12:02 PM
Quite happy with the first day IF we get a junior William Moore not the sneior season one, and with good rotation of Jerry and Babs our DL should be much improved.
As our DL needs to get as much pressure as they can by themselves it wont shock me to see them both play next to each other even though neither is a big NT.

For round 3 im hoping for an OLB, if Marcus Freeman was about id be pretty happy with him.

falcon_91
26.04.2009, 01:03 PM
http://live.intrepid.atlantafalcons.com/

the PC is at 9am EST

atm showing highlights of Jerry and Moore

towen5
26.04.2009, 09:23 PM
Im ecstatic we got Sidbury in the 4th.

Stubbsy #21
27.04.2009, 11:45 AM
Im ecstatic we got Sidbury in the 4th.

Me too I quite fancied him as a mid round sleeper and to get him in the 4th looks like good business.

Also it looks like our front office has common sense running through it now as all our picks were in positions of need without any major reaches.

towen5
30.04.2009, 06:25 PM
Having read up a bit about Peria Jerry i have a few concerns of his ability to learn the playbook but hopefully he will be able to pass rush well based on Abraham getting double teamed, even if Anderson couldnt.

falcon_91
30.04.2009, 07:26 PM
If hes having trouble all they have to do is say "go get the QB" or "play the run" lol ;p

cowboys fan
30.04.2009, 10:00 PM
That's because the Falcons have traditionally sucked.

Browsing through the pages and there seems to be no sign of a Atlanta Falcons thread and a lack of Falcons posters, but many other team threads. Although I shall start to talk about all of the Atlanta Falcons news.

To start off I think that in the Draft the Falcons should be looking towards either a Free Safety/Strong Safety to improve the depth of the position as the Falcons ranked below twenty against the pass, although the stat can not always tell the truth as for most of the season the Falcons have been out in front. Or a Middle Linebacker.

How well do you think the Falcons will do next season and will their division foe's give them a challenge?

And the rumours surrounding Randy Moss wanting to play in Atlanta?

falcon_91
30.04.2009, 10:24 PM
bit late on that quote arent you

towen5
01.05.2009, 02:25 AM
That's because the Falcons have traditionally sucked.

and you are obviously traditionally an idiot.

falcon_91
01.05.2009, 10:19 PM
The rookie numbers are released mian ones to note Peria Jerry -94, William Moore 24, Chris Owens 21

Lets hope Owens is more old 21 not the last one
Also Von Hutchins is looking quite a douche imo Moore wasnted to wear 24 to honour a dead team-mate but Von Hutchins wouldnt let him have it - understandable if your a lock to start and a good one at that, not if your someone who has done nothing in the league and spent last year on IR and 25 is nothing special to you

towen5
01.05.2009, 11:44 PM
The rookie numbers are released mian ones to note Peria Jerry -94, William Moore 24, Chris Owens 21

Lets hope Owens is more old 21 not the last one
Also Von Hutchins is looking quite a douche imo Moore wasnted to wear 24 to honour a dead team-mate but Von Hutchins wouldnt let him have it - understandable if your a lock to start and a good one at that, not if your someone who has done nothing in the league and spent last year on IR and 25 is nothing special to you

i saw that and thought it was quite apathetic. I guess he will get it when Von Hutchins is cut next year!

Khaled
02.05.2009, 01:24 AM
Do we know that the number means nothing to Hutchins? A lot of players are quite attached to their numbers. Plus its a seniority thing as well ... Hutchins may have lost face giving something up to a rookie who hasn't paid his dues, regardless of sentiment.

falcon_91
03.05.2009, 11:43 PM
Do we know that the number means nothing to Hutchins? A lot of players are quite attached to their numbers. Plus its a seniority thing as well ... Hutchins may have lost face giving something up to a rookie who hasn't paid his dues, regardless of sentiment.

I doubt it seeing as he wore #5 in college, 27 at Indy and #34 at Houston. Havent heard or know of any particular reason why 25 would suddenly become important to him.

How owuld he lose face by giving it up to a rookie with a reason? Yeh you have to earn your stripes but guess what football players are people to they do have feelings, common-sense and respect people honouring friends who have passed on.
If Moore was some hot shot rookie demanding 25 cos that his number etc. and he gave it up i would totally agree with you, but a tad common-sense by Hutchins and he looks like an understanding guy, not a douchebag.

towen5
06.05.2009, 02:36 AM
To stimulate a bit of discussion - position battles.

who wins?

3rd RB - ? (despite having a crush on Snelling i think Thomas Brown for his return abilities)

SS - ? (William Moore, we need the big hit and it will show)

DT - ? (Trey Lewis will prove good and join Babineux)

LE - ? (i predict Jamaal 'im determined to prove everyone right' Anderson will win despite being pathetic in preseason)

R & L CB - ? (Houston & Von Hutchins - probably the most intense battle but it think Von Hutchins experience will win out, Grimes wasnt fantastic and Jackson seems resigned to nickle duties, Owens is an enigma)

falcon_91
06.05.2009, 05:16 PM
3rd RB - Thomas Brown..Snelling has been arrested and is probably in the dog house...personnally hoped we would pick up Ian Johnson

SS - do we get Junior year William Moore or Senior year William Moore? that will be the deciding factor. I'll go with DeCoud but to be replaced during the season as Moore improves

DT - Peria Jerry+Babs - while i would love nothing more than a bg 320 pound NT who can clod the middle while tkaing up 2 OLman we dont have that anywhere. Trey Lewis is a 7th round draft ipck wh ohas been on the IR each of his seasons and i feel vastly overrated. In Jerry and Babineaux we have 2 penetrating DTs who can play the run adequatly atleast and arent small(300 and 290)

LE - JA98 with Chaucey sticking to his rotation role at both RE and LE

R+L CB - Chris Houston - man falcons fans seem to be grabbing the pitch forks on this kid bu imo hes our best CB
- Chevis Jackson - playmaker came along last year hope he improves through camp to take the other spot.

towen5
06.05.2009, 07:53 PM
i see Jerry and Babineux as bringing the same thing to the table and think thats why we picked up Vance Walker in the 7th.

falcon_91
06.05.2009, 09:22 PM
Was going to mention Walker, outright steal. Not that they mean much but i think Mel Kiper had him as a 1st round prospect at the beginning of the season, amazing how far his stock dropped.

towen5
06.05.2009, 09:37 PM
Was going to mention Walker, outright steal. Not that they mean much but i think Mel Kiper had him as a 1st round prospect at the beginning of the season, amazing how far his stock dropped.

well theres obviously going to be reasons, but i like his as a prospect.

Khaled
07.05.2009, 01:36 AM
3rd RB - chance we carry both. Brown doubles as a kick returner while Snelling is a special teams demon. Snelling can also double as a FB as well.

SS - Not overly sure. I think we're going to operate interchangeable safeties, and I prefer the coverage skills of Coleman with Decoud over Moore. That said if our run defence struggles then we may need Moore over Decoud.

DT - I think we have to start with Babineaux and Jerry. The most talented by far. I think Lewis works his way into a rotation with others. In any case I expect heavy rotation.

LE - JA98 will get the start but I feel he has 3-4 games to prove it otherwise while he may not lose the starting gig, he'll lose a lot of playing time and be restricted to running situations (which he excels in as probably our best run defender)

R & L CB - I think Houston, neck ache, and all has the RCB spot locked down. He struggles at times but what CB doesn't? I wonder if Jackson is ready, and Grimes has the skills but not the build to man up with receivers. Hutchins should probably get the nod out of experience while the youngsters are groomed.

The last one especially is a complete shot in the dark. Our defence has a lot of work to do.

falcon_91
09.05.2009, 11:13 PM
First camp "fight"
In other news, guard Harvey Dahl, who has been known for getting into tussles on the practice field and in the regular season, has started this year early. Dahl got into a mix with defensive lineman Jamaal Anderson in the afternoon practice. The two went at it for a few seconds before teammates broke up the fight

hopefully JA98 has got some fire in his belly and a mean streak on its way..hopefully

Othernews Peria Jerry has a mild sprain of his right knee nothing serious but probably wont practice tomorrow.

towen5
11.05.2009, 12:50 AM
http://myespn.go.com/blogs/nfcsouth/0-11-40/Other-teams-should-follow-Falcons--example.html

Other teams should make mini camp public like the Falcons.

towen5
11.05.2009, 12:50 AM
Othernews Peria Jerry has a mild sprain of his right knee nothing serious but probably wont practice tomorrow.

Cant help but worry a little

towen5
12.05.2009, 04:25 PM
Notes from mini camp:-

- Owens isnt as good as prospect as first thought apparently
- All CB's getting a chance to start next to Houston
- Lewis and Jerry look set to battle hard
- Dahl is mad
- Peterson is a good pick up and playing well
- John Parker Wilson will definitely give Redman and Shockley competition
- Moore has a great chance of starting
- Snelling was dissapointing rushing
- Norwood, Turner and Ryan all still have it

all reports from people who went and posted on http://www.thefalcoholic.com

Donners
21.05.2009, 05:18 PM
I wanted to make a comment on the Vick Saga the day he gets out. I hope he makes his way back in the game, BUT NOT WITH US!!! He has been punished very severly in the pocket, in the court of public opinion & ultimately by being sent to a damn nasty prison.

I doubt even the biggest, most evil criminal would have been punsihed by losing $250million, so he AT LEAST deserves a chance to make some kinda living in the NFL.

IMHO..... Your Thoughts!?!

towen5
21.05.2009, 05:21 PM
my thoughts...cest serra serra. Let the NFL decide and the open market.

towen5
22.05.2009, 03:08 PM
http://www.atlantafalcons.com/News/Articles/2009/05/21-31/Moore_to_wear_No_25_in_honor_of_teammate.aspx

When William Moore needs a boost of energy or a shot of inspiration he looks to his wristband, sock, or another piece of equipment that he's marked with the No. 25.

That's the number of a friend and teammate, Aaron O'Neal, who died in July 2005.

"Whenever I feel like I can't go the extra step, I think about Aaron and what he put on the line," the Falcons safety said.

The rookie has only worn the number to honor his friend once. But well before the Falcons drafted him he planned on using the jersey in the NFL. That opportunity will come sooner rather than later.

Cornerback Von Hutchins will give Moore No. 25 in exchange for a donation to the Lupus Foundation of America. Hutchins' mother has lupus, and the six-year veteran supports the Georgia chapter of the foundation.

Great gesture and solves the earlier discussion, win win i think.

falcon_91
22.05.2009, 07:59 PM
Well atleast Von Hutchins got his head out of his ass

just saw this

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/178751-...ded-brett-favre

It's safe to say America is suffering from Favre overkill.

For the 14th consecutive offseason (I think?), America's sweetheart, Brett Favre, is stringing everyone along as to whether he'll play football in the fall.

This could have been avoided. Favre overkill would have never existed if the Atlanta Falcons had never traded Brett Favre. I know for certain how history would have been different had Favre never been traded to the Packers.

In 1992, instead of trading Favre to the Packers, the Falcons organization sees Brett's tremendous talent and instead fires Jerry Glanville, who promptly disappears off the face of the Earth in his eternal search for Elvis. Atlanta then hires young Bill Walsh protégé Mike Holmgren.

The Falcons trade incumbent starter Chris Miller and hand the reins over to Favre. The precocious Favre leads the Falcons to a 9-7 record, the first ever back-to-back winning seasons in franchise history, and a Wild Card berth. Atlanta upsets Minnesota in the first round before losing a divisional playoff game to the 49ers.

Free agent superstar Reggie White likes what Atlanta is building and decides to sign with Atlanta after a tense bidding war with Green Bay. With a revamped defense in 1993, Atlanta goes 11-5 and wins the division for the first time in more than a decade. They make the first NFC title game appearance in franchise history and lose a classic to the Cowboys at Texas Stadium.

The humble and quiet Deion Sanders decides to finish his career with the Falcons, and Atlanta enters the 1994 season expected to again compete with Dallas for the NFC crown. Atlanta this time bests Dallas and makes the first Super Bowl in franchise history. Favre has a historic Super Bowl against the Chargers, and Atlanta hoists the Lombardi Trophy for the first time and does so in dominant fashion.

The rest of the NFL trembles at the thought of an Atlanta dynasty at the start of the 1995 season, and Atlanta lives up to the hype. They bury the Cowboys dynasty once and for all and then top the Steelers in the most watched Super Bowl in NFL history; Favre gets his second MVP trophy and Super Bowl win.

It starts becoming old hat for Atlanta as they win a third straight Super Bowl in January of '97, though this time kick returner Eric Metcalf becomes the first special teams player to win Super Bowl MVP.

Atlanta dominates the '97 season, and Denver gives them a good run in the Super Bowl. John Elway, trying to lead a comeback drive, dives, gets crunched, spins in mid-air, and fumbles the ball, and Atlanta recovers to hold on for Super Bowl title No. 4.

Atlanta beats Minnesota in an epic NFC title game in 1999 and gets a rematch with Denver. Eugene Robinson, who spent the night before the Super Bowl building houses for Habitat for Humanity, assisting at a free medical clinic, and volunteering at a soup kitchen, intercepts Elway three times, and Atlanta wins one for the thumb.

Atlanta and their old rival St. Louis battle in an epic NFC title game. Atlanta wins a shootout, and Favre couldn't be more excited.

"They say St. Louis is the greatest show on turf," Favre said. "Well, we proved that Atlanta is the bestest show on turf." Sure it's really nonsensical, but Favremania has gripped America unlike any phenomenon football has ever seen.

After two more Super Bowl titles, Atlanta is set for title No. 8, but they get upset by the Patriots in 2002. After a trying fall in which we saw our foundation shaken by the 9/11 tragedy, the Patriots define the American spirit of never giving up in the face of adversity. Everyone feels good about themselves...except for Brett Favre.

Favre wins his fifth NFL MVP in 2002, and after a second round win over Green Bay and their explosive rookie quarterback Michael Vick, Atlanta romps over Oakland for Super Bowl No. 8.

Favre wants more. That loss to New England sticks in his craw.

Favre's foundation, however, is shaken when his father dies a day before a pivotal Monday Night game against Tampa. Favre, to the surprise of people everywhere, decides to play and has another career-defining performance against the Bucs on Monday Night Football. Atlanta wins a ninth title, getting revenge over the Patriots.

With the loss to the Pats avenged and still troubled by the loss of his father, Favre quietly begins contemplating retirement. The Falcons have a few respectable seasons, but Favre's play begins to deteriorate, and retirement becomes more of an attractive option. He decides the 2007 season will be his last.

Atlanta backdoors its way into the playoffs. They have an impossible task ahead of them; three straight road wins are needed to make a Super Bowl. The Falcons shock the world and beat the Giants in overtime to advance to the Super Bowl, where they are expected to get smoked by the 18-0 Patriots.

New England jumps out to a lead early, but America's Hero Brett Favre leads the charge back. With just 50 seconds left, Favre hits Roddy White for the game-winning touchdown and Super Bowl win No. 10. It's the cherry on top for Favre.

At the end of the championship parade, Favre announces, with a tear in his eye, that he's retiring.

Favre heads back to the farm in Mississippi, never to be heard from again. He's content being super dad, watching his kids grow up and spending his time tending to his land. Thanks to a trade, Atlanta ends up with the third pick in the draft and selects Matt Ryan, a wide-eyed rookie out of Boston College. Kid has a lot to live up to; hopefully he's up to the task.

So there you have it—history would have been radically different had Atlanta never traded Brett Favre. The Falcons would clearly have won 10 Super Bowls, and Favre would be remembered as the greatest quarterback in NFL history. It's shame how things turned out otherwise.
My guess...your;d find BRett Favre broke and drunk under a bridge in ATL :p

towen5
22.05.2009, 10:28 PM
You lost me at "The humble and quiet Deion Sanders decides to finish his career with the Falcons" :D

towen5
23.05.2009, 03:05 PM
sneak peek behind the scenes with Baldinger

http://www.atlantafalcons.com/media_library/Videos/NFL_Network/2009/05/NFL_Network_-_Falcons_Practice_Tour_-_5-22-09.aspx

towen5
28.05.2009, 11:33 PM
http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sports/falcons/stories/2009/05/27/falcons_thomas_brown.html

Story of Thomas Brown

Donners
29.05.2009, 08:59 AM
Another outstanding college back, although he didn't play at a high level for a long time ,hence his low draft stratus last year. I hope he can secure the kick return slot as I think he is more of an insurance policy to Turner than Norwood is. Saying that Stelling hasn't let us down before!!

Khaled
29.05.2009, 10:32 AM
How many backs do we carry this year? I would imagine with Snelling being so versatile in terms of uses (running back/ special teams/ full back) we can probably get away with having five. Though I wonder if, unless he demonstrates something special as a kick returner the team may take a chance on signing Brown to the practice squad as opposed to the full roster since I don't think the coaches will use him much in the running game.

On that subject, I know its far too early, but what battles are Falcon fans expecting in terms of making the final 53 man roster.

falcon_91
29.05.2009, 07:36 PM
QB#3 - JPW vs Shockley
i think we will carry 4 RBs so no comp there
WR #5 - Kelly vs Bergeron

Translation the Offense is set
Defense however

LDE - Davis vs Anderson
DT#2 - Jerry vs Lewis
SLB - Nicholas vs Wire
CB#2 - Jackson vs Von Hutchins
FS - Moore vs DeCoud

Then battles for PR/KR - Douglas vs Norwood vs Brown

towen5
30.05.2009, 03:47 PM
QB#3 - JPW vs Shockley
i think we will carry 4 RBs so no comp there
WR #5 - Kelly vs Bergeron

Translation the Offense is set
Defense however

LDE - Davis vs Anderson
DT#2 - Jerry vs Lewis
SLB - Nicholas vs Wire
CB#2 - Jackson vs Von Hutchins
FS - Moore vs DeCoud

Then battles for PR/KR - Douglas vs Norwood vs Brown

There my choices.

Im also disappointed in the news Ojinaka was arrested, i like him a lot.

towen5
03.06.2009, 03:56 PM
Harvey Dahl the meanest player in the NFL

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/11793612

falcon_91
03.06.2009, 05:19 PM
I really liked that Clabo and Dahl were called dirty for finshing plays last year. Nice to see our o-line has been devloping amean streak.

towen5
03.06.2009, 05:42 PM
I really liked that Clabo and Dahl were called dirty for finshing plays last year. Nice to see our o-line has been devloping amean streak.

its important in a run blocking lineman, just have to make sure its controlled chaos.

towen5
04.06.2009, 03:37 PM
http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sports/falcons/stories/2009/06/03/john_abraham_news.html

Abraham has finally shown for OTA's. Good news.

dembirdscanfly
05.06.2009, 03:48 PM
http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sports/falcons/stories/2009/06/03/john_abraham_news.html

Abraham has finally shown for OTA's. Good news.
Yeah, indeed. How he didn't make the Pro Bowl I'll never know.

towen5
05.06.2009, 03:52 PM
Yeah, indeed. How he didn't make the Pro Bowl I'll never know.

politics. :(

falcon_91
23.06.2009, 01:06 AM
Very Special Father's Day For Stephen Nicholas (http://myespn.go.com/blogs/nfcsouth/0-12-92/Very-special-Father-s-Day-for-Falcons--Nicholas.html)

Great read.

Had no idea this was going o nin his life, shows what amazing courage and strength he has and im glad that his family is now fully healthy and enjoying themselves.

towen5
23.06.2009, 12:07 PM
Very Special Father's Day For Stephen Nicholas (http://myespn.go.com/blogs/nfcsouth/0-12-92/Very-special-Father-s-Day-for-Falcons--Nicholas.html)

Great read.

Had no idea this was going o nin his life, shows what amazing courage and strength he has and im glad that his family is now fully healthy and enjoying themselves.

read this last week, amazing story. Shows how the Falcons have gone from classless to classy also.

towen5
03.07.2009, 07:37 PM
http://mvn.com/outsider/2009/07/nfl-outsider-season-preview-2009-atlanta-falcons-1.html

I wrote an article on the Falcons season preview for MVN.com

love to hear what you guys think.

falcon_91
03.07.2009, 07:41 PM
On our 'losses' of Milloy and Brooking, they were pretty inevitable and i'd prefer to see a rookie or 2nd year player get beat and learn from it than see 2 vets get beat simply because they aren't good enough anymore.

towen5
03.07.2009, 07:51 PM
On our 'losses' of Milloy and Brooking, they were pretty inevitable and i'd prefer to see a rookie or 2nd year player get beat and learn from it than see 2 vets get beat simply because they aren't good enough anymore.

But the loss of leadership is hard to ignore. What Milloy looses in speed he gains in anticipation and knowledge.

falcon_91
03.07.2009, 11:48 PM
yeh his anticipation and knowledge really helped when people threw at him deep, no amount of it will help when someone runs straight past you case in point his last game as a falcon

His assignment: Play over the top of Larry Fitzgerald
Result: one TD

His assignment: Stay deep
Result: Beaten by Anquan Boldin(after the catch) - who even hurt his hamstring on the play - for a 71 yard TD

and im fairly sure Milloy missed another 'over the top' assignment for another long Fitz catch.

towen5
04.07.2009, 12:00 AM
yeh his anticipation and knowledge really helped when people threw at him deep, no amount of it will help when someone runs straight past you case in point his last game as a falcon

His assignment: Play over the top of Larry Fitzgerald
Result: one TD

His assignment: Stay deep
Result: Beaten by Anquan Boldin(after the catch) - who even hurt his hamstring on the play - for a 71 yard TD

and im fairly sure Milloy missed another 'over the top' assignment for another long Fitz catch.

Yes but your assuming the opportunity cost that the replacement would be better. And DeCoud/Moore may be better athletes, but who is to say that they wouldnt have been beaten more so against the same opposition.

The answer that can only be opinion, but its a fact the Falcons have lost a lot of leadership on defensive, regardless of whether this will matter or not, its fact.

falcon_91
04.07.2009, 12:05 AM
I think you can still say we have a leader at each level though which is ok by me.
Abe-Peterson(altho i look for Lofton to evolve into one soon) - Coleman.

We wil lnever know how DeCoud will have done, but what we do know is that Milloy especially got slapped about like a stripper in Pacmans house.

towen5
04.07.2009, 12:18 AM
I think you can still say we have a leader at each level though which is ok by me.
Abe-Peterson(altho i look for Lofton to evolve into one soon) - Coleman.

We wil lnever know how DeCoud will have done, but what we do know is that Milloy especially got slapped about like a stripper in Pacmans house.

I felt Brooking was more disappointing that Milloy last year. Id have Milloy back on low end deal with a heartbeat to help 'C4' Moore and DeCoud grow.

Steve_Killman
06.07.2009, 11:02 AM
Yeah, Milloy was really slow last season.
I thought Brooking coud have played 1 or 2 more seasons, I had his Jersey.
He definitely wasn't the hit machine he used to be though.

falcon_91
06.08.2009, 03:20 PM
Harry Douglas is out for the season after injurying his knee in 1 on 1 practice drills. After trading Laurent Robinson ofr a 5th and 6th rounder a strength is now lacking some depth. Although our 2 starters are still in place - Roddy and Jenkins - Finneran should now step up to his old #3 role but behind him we dont have a lot. Although i would see this as another shift to Murlarky opening up the TE passing game and Tony G will have abigger load than expected.

towen5
06.08.2009, 04:07 PM
gut....ted :(