PDA

View Full Version : Texans Thread

Pages : [1] 2 3

duggay
16.02.2005, 06:30 PM
Is it me, or does anyone feel the texans aren't going to the playoffs thiscoming season?

Yes, slightly pessimistic i know, but lets face it, David Carr needs full plate armour to protect himself from getting sacked.

I mean its not going to be a disaster season, but I'm thinking... 8-8?

What does everyone else think?

16.02.2005, 06:35 PM
The Texans could be a dark horse this season, Carr to Johnson is becoming a household phrase and your defence has improved greatly. A few decent FA/draft pickups and the Texans may gain a WC and have a chance at the playoffs.

PavlovsDog
16.02.2005, 07:27 PM
8-8 would be my tip if they stand pat; if they can beef up the O-Line, it could be the difference between .500 mediocrity and a Wild card.

Swervedriver
16.02.2005, 07:55 PM
8-8 would be my tip if they stand pat; if they can beef up the O-Line, it could be the difference between .500 mediocrity and a Wild card.

come join the NFC...there is no between .500 mediocrity and Wld card..they are the same thing ;D

Bongo46
16.02.2005, 07:59 PM
Of recent expansion teams, Carolina and Jacksonville both went to the playoffs in their second seasons and Cleveland went in its 4th. So if they don't make it this year they will be the slowest expansion team to have made the playoffs since.......I'll let someone else answer that.

IndyUK
16.02.2005, 09:05 PM
I think that the Texans will have their best season in Franchise history, but with the Colts still being strong and the Jags looking like they will be really good, I think 3rd place in the division will be the best they can do.

duggay
16.02.2005, 09:08 PM
Nah, we made the jags look like mincemeat last season, we can do it again. ;)

Michael Burton
16.02.2005, 09:36 PM
Of recent expansion teams, Carolina and Jacksonville both went to the playoffs in their second seasons and Cleveland went in its 4th. So if they don't make it this year they will be the slowest expansion team to have made the playoffs since.......I'll let someone else answer that.

Since Seattle. It took them untill their eighth season to make it to January.
Even the mighty 0-14 Tampa Bay Buccaneers managed to do it at their fourth attempt. (And I mean the 0-14 Buccaneers, because they still had most of their players from that dismal season playing for them.)

duggay
16.02.2005, 09:38 PM
But anyway, seeing that ive started this thread (I'm important! wow), what about the draft this year?

I honestly don't know much about the big picks in this years draft (I never do) but according to www.houstanprofootball.com (excellent site) say that the top 13 players the texans need are:

1. Derrick Johnson
2. Pac Man Jones
3. Cedric Benson
4. Ronnie Brown
5. Shawne Merriman
6. Braylon Edwards
7. Carnell Williams
8. Marcus Spears
9. Heath Miller
10. Antrel Rolle
11. Alex Barron
12. Thomas Davis
13. Erasmus James

Comments? I know we need to improve the O - line, but thats all i know really... lol ;)

Hey, If it wasn't for me the texans wouldnt have a thread!

Revenge of Rypien
16.02.2005, 09:44 PM
I honestly don't know much about the big picks in this years draft (I never do) but according to www.houstanprofootball.com (excellent site) say that the top 13 players the texans need are:

1. Derrick Johnson
2. Pac Man Jones
3. Cedric Benson
4. Ronnie Brown
5. Shawne Merriman
6. Braylon Edwards
7. Carnell Williams
8. Marcus Spears
9. Heath Miller
10. Antrel Rolle
11. Alex Barron
12. Thomas Davis
13. Erasmus James

Erm, I think every team in the league would like to add all of those players... surely?

16.02.2005, 09:46 PM
I don't get why they'd select a 270lb DE like Erasmus James. It's not like he's really quick and a great OLB prospect. I guess Antrel Rolle is on there as a FS if it's a need based list?

duggay
16.02.2005, 09:48 PM
To the Redskins fan, yes thats right. Thank you for pointing out my complete stupidity. :-[

To the Titans fan, yes.

Michael Burton
16.02.2005, 09:52 PM
To the Redskins fan, yes thats right. Thank you for pointing out my complete stupidity. :-[

To the Titans fan, yes.

Watch out duggay, you've just hit a nerve with ed there. He doesn't support any NFL team, he has the Titans helmet because he is a USC Trojans fan.
I just though i'd point that out before he does for like the 1000th time.

Revenge of Rypien
16.02.2005, 09:59 PM
Watch out duggay, you've just hit a nerve with ed there. He doesn't support any NFL team, he has the Titans helmet because he is a USC Trojans fan.
I just though i'd point that out before he does for like the 1000th time.

:)

duggay
16.02.2005, 10:00 PM
Ok lol :)

Sorry.

duggay
17.02.2005, 06:29 PM
Well, are there any other Texan fans out there?

....I'm not making this thread to talk to myself you know.

Yeah, laugh away, but you'll stop laughing when we hit the playoffs! (really hard, with our heads)

Very soon we'll be rocking the casbah in 7 different different languages! (all available on VHS and DVD)

The cunning plan being...

Buy all the hooded sweatshirts before Bill Belchick does ;)

Therefore inheriting the hidden powers said sweatshirts contain..

Mwhahahahahahahaa ;)

nickmacorison
17.02.2005, 06:47 PM
GOt the best stadium in the NFL. Even if your at home, i feel a good stadium can make a good game even better.

I think you may even make the playoffs this year. but it is early doors at the moment :D

17.02.2005, 06:49 PM
Never fear lonely Texans fan. I really like the Texans so I will post here quite regularly. Carr to Johnson is something the rest of the NFL should get used to hearing as they're going to hear it alot over the next few years.

Davetheman
17.02.2005, 07:16 PM
I've got a Carr jersey...if that helps at all

Kyriakin
17.02.2005, 07:30 PM
Haha, this thread sucks more than the Lions thread

"Good ground, no fans. Good ground no fans. Good ground, no fans..."

17.02.2005, 07:32 PM
Haha, this thread sucks more than the Lions thread

"Good ground, no fans. Good ground no fans. Good ground, no fans..."
To be honest we could say the same about your team.

;)

duggay
17.02.2005, 07:44 PM
OoOoOoOoOO Burned!

Hahaha the Lions suck.

But ye, i have seen nfljunky around, looks like its just us 3...

Ah well :)

duggay
18.02.2005, 12:19 PM
So in order to keep this thread afloat....

Here's my opinion of the up and coming opponents this season

HOME

Colts - I'm guessing Peyton's fairly peeved about losing to the Pats, so I'm guessing the rout is on in this one. We are 0 - 3 to the Colts at home before you object, and although I think the Colts will win, it definatly won't be as one sided, them pesky colts are going to work for that win, mainly due to the possible loss of Edgerrin James.

Winner - Colts

Titans - To be honest, I'm thinking win here for the texans. And heres why:

The first player that comes into your head when thinking of the Titans is always Steve McNair.

Hes old and very injury prone, it's not looking too bad for us here.

Winner - Texans

Jaguars - Fairly recently the Texans were beating the Jags fairly easily, to be honest I'm thinking Texans to win, although thats a maybe, the Jags could have a good season as well.

Winner - Texans

Steelers - I think big Ben's going to be unbelievable next season :( (in a good way) and the Steelers defence is not to be messed with. Probably the only team capable of beating the Pats next season.

Winner - Steelers

Browns - >:(Yes they sneaked a victory last time, but now that they have the Pats DC as head coach... Too early to call yet, we just have to see how well he fits in with the browns.

Winner - Undecided

Chiefs - We caused an upset win last time :D, but unless Priest Holme's legs suddenly fall off... ;)

Seriously though... Texans to win, it'll be close though, their defence is slightly naff (but so is ours :().

Winner - Texans

Cardinals - OOooOOooOO dinny mess fellas! Its the mean budgie look this season! :o

To be honest, the loss of Emitt Smith is a great one... Texans win then.

Winner - Texans

Rams - The Greatest Show On Turf!!! Guess we should play them on grass then... ;)

To be honest, it looks like a win for the Rams here, buts that undecided so far.

Winner - Rams (maybe)

AWAY

Colts, Jaguars and Titans are the same as home I'm guessing.

Ravens - Ah nuts...

One of the best defences in the NFL! Doh...

Winner - Ravens

Bengals - I honestly feel the Bengals could have a good season this year. Honestly! I'm not insane! Win here for the Bengals here probably.

Winner - Bengals

Seahawks - With Matt Hasselback and Shaun Alexander maybe leaving this season... looks like a win :)

(although by saying so this will become a challenge to fate, therefore she will give the Seahawks supernatural football playing powers - expect super bowl celebrations in Seattle this season ;))

49ers - Hard to say

With a new head coach, you can never be sure, undecided here.

Winner - Undecided

Bills - I'm really not sure about the descision to release Bledsoe, so this ones undecided as well.

Winner - Undecided

So what does everyone think? Am I wrong? Most definatly, please post your own views, including the 2 other texan fans we have ;D

Bongo46
18.02.2005, 01:06 PM
Browns - >:(Yes they sneaked a victory last time, but now that they have the Pats DC as head coach... Too early to call yet, we just have to see how well he fits in with the browns.

Winner - Undecided

Within the last 24 hours we have appointed your defensive line coach Todd Grantham as our new DC.

Go UL Vikings
18.02.2005, 01:39 PM
According to www.houstanprofootball.com (excellent site) say that the top 13 players the texans need are:

1. Derrick Johnson
2. Pac Man Jones
3. Cedric Benson
4. Ronnie Brown
5. Shawne Merriman
6. Braylon Edwards
7. Carnell Williams
8. Marcus Spears
9. Heath Miller
10. Antrel Rolle
11. Alex Barron
12. Thomas Davis
13. Erasmus James

Comments? I know we need to improve the O - line, but thats all i know really... lol ;)

Hey, If it wasn't for me the texans wouldnt have a thread!

You don't need any of those running backs. Domanick Davis is going to be a great running back. Good dual threat. Like Marshall Faulk but not as good (that's not an insult, nobody except maybe Barry Sanders was better than Faulk in 1999/2000).

Carr is good and Andre Johnson is elite. He'll be a top 5 receiver in no time. How the Lions will regret taking Charles Rogers.

nfljunky
18.02.2005, 01:53 PM
There is a guy called nfljunky, who posts under a Texans avatar, but other than him/her, it might just be you and I.

Thanks for the name check although, whilst I do have a soft spot for the Texans (and the Chargers, Lions, Cardinals, Jaguars and Dolphins) I don't really "support" any team; it's as my name suggests. I use the Avatar because I said I would draft on behalf of the Texans in the NFLUK Mock draft and felt obliged to get into the spirit of the thing.

However, as with most things on this Board, I'm very happy to conribute and have a fairly reasonable knowledge of the Texans.

I'll also dig up my earlier post on who the Texans need in the draft and post it again as it's fairly relevent here.

nfljunky
18.02.2005, 02:15 PM
As far as Houston’s needs are concerned the Defensive Line is an extremely competent group as it stands provided Payne is re-signed in Free agency. Walker had an average year but has the ability to bounce right back. Clearly, if Payne isn’t re-signed then NT becomes a priority. Free Agency or a high draft pick will be needed to resolve the situation but I’d rather trade a very high pick to Baltimore for Kelly Gregg (if the Ravens do decide on 4-3) or see if Hoke is available from Pittsburgh. Free Agents who might fit are Pat Williams from Buffalo or Jason Ferguson from the Jets but I’m not particularly struck on either. Depth is something of an issue but, given their positional flexibility, resigning Payne, DeLoach or preferably both would address this.

OLB isn't necessarily a need position either as both Peek & Babin have all the attributes needed in a standard 3-4 outside backer. The issue here is the system which has seen many very good OLB’s go the way of free agency; Capers conservative system calls for far too much in the way of coverage requirements from these guys. Wong does the coverage bit to perfection but has difficulties with the pass-rush as the season wears on. Remember both Foley and Posey have gone on to excellent things with other teams after struggling in Houston. With Peek coming on well it allows you to move Wong back inside which would then become a strength. Foreman is OK but Sharper (despite the media blather) is an on/off sort at best; one great game followed by an absolute stinker. Yes you’d prefer him over Foreman but he needs to miss a lot less tackles.

There’s also a lot of talk about safety too but can anybody tell me what the problem is with Glenn Earl or Marcus Coleman? I hope it isn’t the usual story of people looking for names and then not seeing any defining the position as a weakness.

In truth all three CB’s are pretty good as well. Next year will/should be fine but this year Aaron Glenn did begin to show signs of age. We all know CB’s get beaten but his performance against Cleveland was worthy of the Champ. Is he past it? No but a replacement will likely be required soon.

So why is Houston so down right average on Defence? In my view it’s because the cautious nature of the defence doesn’t fit the personnel or indeed the offence. Fangio had a good first year when everybody knew Houston was toothless on offence so played conservatively against them. As a result he looked like a genius when he’s far from it. I’m convinced a Jim Johnson, Greg Williams or Dick LeBeau would bring this unit around in no time. The personnel here is not reminiscent of Kansas City.

On Offence the big need is a receiving TE to take the load off Carr. His OL isn’t the type to give up the most sacks in the League but it pretty much did that so again everyone’s looking at Seth Wand blaming him. The truth of the matter is it takes longer to throw to a WR than a TE and Billy Miller is not a security blanket in anyone’s book. Towards the end of the season it got so bad that the Texans kept on throwing quick balls to Andre Johnson in the flat, bringing him across the middle like a TE and when he became mortal and started dropping balls so went the Houston offence. In doing this they’d effectively cut off their nose to spite their face because now they also lost their ¾ of their excellent deep game.

Would it be nice to have Willie Roaf at LT? Of course it would but recently it seems if you want a quality tackle either draft in the top five and cross your fingers or get one in Free Agency (Tra Thomas and Pace are the only two worth considering but Houston won’t get them).

I’d try and trade down to a place where Heath Miller is if that isn’t there then pick up a corner to replace Glenn in a couple of years.

Bongo46
18.02.2005, 02:32 PM
I wonder if Payne may end up as the nose in Cleveland?

nfljunky
18.02.2005, 03:20 PM

Sorry Bongo, not up to date with the Browns off-season moves; are they going 3-4 then?

Bongo46
18.02.2005, 03:30 PM

Sorry Bongo, not up to date with the Browns off-season moves; are they going 3-4 then?

It would seem that way. Crennel keeps talking about the 3-4 and new DC is the Texans D-line coach. The NT position is the one we don't have and I wonder if Payne maybe a target for us.

nfljunky
18.02.2005, 03:44 PM
Picking 3 backers from that motley crew was tricky enough but 4. Bring back Johnson, Johnson and Matthews.....that's what I say!

(Oh and what about Minnifield And Dixon while we're at it)

Bongo46
18.02.2005, 03:50 PM
I beg to differ. I think Andra Davis and Chaun Thompson are going to be good in a 3-4. Im sure we will add some vet linebackers this off season. We'll be fine. I agree though, bring back Clay! ;)

nfljunky
18.02.2005, 04:34 PM
I beg to differ. I think Andra Davis and Chaun Thompson are going to be good in a 3-4. Im sure we will add some vet linebackers this off season. We'll be fine. I agree though, bring back Clay! ;)

To be fair (from what I've seen) Andra Davis is OK. It's the OLBs I didn't like when I watched them, but that definitely included Thompson. Having said that, of all the teams I saw last season, I saw the Browns the least; only the games against Cincinnati, Pittsburgh, Miami and San Diego. I'm certainly not going to disagree too hard on 25% :-X

duggay
21.02.2005, 03:29 PM
Hang on a cotton pickin' second... (stop that cotton pickin'!)

If theres a head patriot, head falcon, head dawg etc. what about a head texan? surely moi and paul31 could become heads of our team!

How gnarly would that be!! 8)

nfljunky
21.02.2005, 05:08 PM
You could earn that title by starting some interesting Texans debate on this thread!

duggay
21.02.2005, 05:51 PM
Okay dokey...

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=1995875

The Titans could lose a huge amount of decent players, inlcluding WR Derrick Mason, CB Samari Rolles etc and there is the chance that they could become Texans... what does everyone else think?

Mason would be good for the Texans, it means we have a 2nd good receiver besides Johnson... :)

nfljunky
22.02.2005, 01:21 PM
Perversely the Titans could probably make use of all of these guys with the exception of Miller and Nedney. How the Titans ever gave a contract like that to a bog-standard pure right tackle is beyond me. Todd Wade is already a better player, in my view, and certainly a keeper.
As far as Mason is concerned well surely everyone in the league would love him because no one has a better third (or in the vast majority of cases) second WR. Can you pay him will be the issue? Similarly Kevin Carter has all the attributes required for a 3-4 end and would be a great fit if affordable. Rolle could definately play safety or allow Robinson to move to safety if required giving the Texans the 2nd best secondary in the NFL.
Of all these the most likely to come to Houston is Holcombe who is still a very good player and provides good balance in an area of need.

duggay
04.03.2005, 10:40 PM
...and out of the blue, the Texans appear from nowhere! Again! Yes, thats right, we won't go away for a long time.

Points to discuss:

1) Corey Bradford (or the lack of)(or in that case of any the free agents the Texans released), personally I think this is a good move, as Corey just takes up room on the roster, we would be better off with some younger WRs.

QB Tony Banks was a good starter, and hopefully should be allowed to test the market, although with the likes of Jeff Garcia around...
:-\

FS Marlon McCree and backup CB Kenny Wright should be able to receive better offers elsewhere.

2) Who should the Texans go for?

Obviously draft permitting, the only real O-line player that stands out for me is Kareem McKenzie of the NY Jets... any thoughts?

Their most recent acquistion at time of typing is Dolphins OLB Morlon Greenwood, who could shake the Defense for better and worse - he was very sought after and will probably play MLB, but he could potentially move Jamie Shaper and Jay Foreman out... :-\

I'm not letting this thread die EVER!!! :D ;)

Crowder#52
05.03.2005, 08:23 AM
You guys seriously overpaid for Greenwood. He is a solid player but makes no big plays and you give him a a five-year, $22.5 million contract which included a $7 million signing bonus.

He prospered for us last season after moving from the strongside to the weakside and was credited with double-digit tackles in the final six games, although he is projected as an inside linebacker in Houston's 3-4 defense.

Who knows maybe he will develop better playing inside.

duggay
05.03.2005, 12:31 PM
You guys seriously overpaid for Greenwood. He is a solid player but makes no big plays and you give him a a five-year, $22.5 million contract which included a $7 million signing bonus.

He prospered for us last season after moving from the strongside to the weakside and was credited with double-digit tackles in the final six games, although he is projected as an inside linebacker in Houston's 3-4 defense.

I think it could work, but thats my opinion

New just in...

Jamie Sharper and Jay Foreman have been given the option to trade for a new team if they don't agree to a modified contract, although there is ample Cap Room to keep them.

Also, Mike London, DC of the University of Virginia is the new Texan DC, he is one of the very few college DCs that plays the 3-4.

Matt Lehr, C for the Rams is drawing interest from the Texans as well as a few other teams, and Corey Bradford will be meeting with Detroit, so now they too can have a few decent players ;)

duggay
06.03.2005, 02:22 PM
The moment I put stuff into this thread, it was knocked down again >:(

Norris Returns - The Texans have reached terms with fullback Moran Norris on a three-year contract. The deal will be worth $1.9 million according to the Houston Chronicle, and it includes a $600,000 signing bonus.

Bell Re-Signed - Reserve cornerback and superb special teams player Jason Bell has agreed to a one-year contract with the Texans that will pay him $540,000 this season plus a $25,000 signing bonus. The bonus is the maximum allowed to qualify for the veteran's exception on the salary cap, meaning Bell will only account for $455,000 on this year's cap.

Yo, Houston!
It's Me, Rocky

For Baytown native and current Seahawks defensive tackle Rocky Bernard, visiting the Texans on Friday might have felt a bit like coming back home.

News of Bernard's visit to Houston on Friday was published by the Seattle Times. The former Texas A&M star is a restricted free agent, meaning if the Texans were to sign Bernard to an offer sheet, the Seahwawks would have one week to match it. Should they fail to do so, the Texans would forfeit a fifth round pick as compensation.

Bernard, who will turn 26 next month, projects to an end in the Texans defense if he is signed. At 6'3" and 293 pounds, he is a reserve in a 4-3 system with the Seahawks, one that considers him undersized. Bernard has been effective at times though, notching 3.5 sacks last season on a playoff team. His collegiate experience in a 3-4 defensive front might be adding some extra appeal to the Texans.

To obtain Bernard's services, the Texans might face other outside competition. The Jets, who lost defensive tackle Jason Ferguson the same day Seth Payne spurned them to return to the Texans, are another team with reported interest in Bernard.

In other free agent news, the Texans have interest in center Matt Lehr of the Rams according to a report published by the Rocky Mountain News on Friday. Lehr is expected to visit the Broncos on Monday and Tuesday, then possibly travel to Atlanta to talk with the Falcons later in the week. There has been no confirmation yet as to whether Houston figures into Lehr's itenerary.

YorkshireRaven
06.03.2005, 03:28 PM
Okay dokey...

The Titans could lose a huge amount of decent players, inlcluding WR Derrick Mason, CB Samari Rolles etc and there is the chance that they could become Texans... what does everyone else think?

Mason would be good for the Texans, it means we have a 2nd good receiver besides Johnson... :)

as you should already know, D-Mase is a raven! Samari Rolle could be a big signing but O-Line should be the main focus. Carr is a good QB to watch and is the future of your franchise, so with a good O-Line and Andre Johnson as your big threat, the Texans could look like a good side

duggay
06.03.2005, 03:43 PM
Okay dokey...

as you should already know, D-Mase is a raven! Samari Rolle could be a big signing but O-Line should be the main focus. Carr is a good QB to watch and is the future of your franchise, so with a good O-Line and Andre Johnson as your big threat, the Texans could look like a good side

you pretty much summed up the texans in one go, well done! ;D

all we need now is some fans...

YorkshireRaven
06.03.2005, 04:08 PM
thank you, thank you! I do rate Carr, he'll only get better

nfljunky
06.03.2005, 08:09 PM

I think it could work, but thats my opinion

New just in...

Jamie Sharper and Jay Foreman have been given the option to trade for a new team if they don't agree to a modified contract, although there is ample Cap Room to keep them.
Also, Mike London, DC of the University of Virginia is the new Texan DC, he is one of the very few college DCs that plays the 3-4.

Matt Lehr, C for the Rams is drawing interest from the Texans as well as a few other teams, and Corey Bradford will be meeting with Detroit, so now they too can have a few decent players ;)

I know I do bang on about this but I've said for some time (on this very board infact) that Sharper is seriously overrated by Texan fans and the media (BTW Pls do not read into this I said he was not a good player). This is the management effectively going out and saying "even though we have the cap room you are not worth the money we pay you". Greenwood and Wong at ILB would be a significant upgrade as this is certainly Wong's best position; both of these guys can run and cover (and tackle!!). I think an OLB is definitly on the cards now although (again as I've said before) I'd prefer a TE

duggay
08.03.2005, 04:26 PM
Sharper in Stripes?

As word spreads around the league that linebacker Jamie Sharper is available via trade, one newspaper believes he might be working on fashioning some stripes into his fall wardrobe.

The Cincinnati Enquirer received word from an unspecified source that Sharper is talking to the Bengals about a possible trade. If the Texans were to consummate a deal with the Bengals, it would reunite Sharper with Cincinnati head coach Marvin Lewis, Sharper's defensive coordinator when he played with the Ravens.

Sharper, 30, is capable of playing a variety of positions in both a 3-4 and a 4-3 defensive scheme. It maximizes the number of teams he could potentially play for outside of Houston if he is traded. Other speculated destinations for Sharper include Seattle, Kansas City, Cleveland, and Baltimore.

In other free agent news, the Texans have interest in center Matt Lehr of the Rams according to a report published by the Rocky Mountain News. Lehr visited with the Broncos on Monday and left town for Atlanta without a contract. After meeting with the Falcons on Tuesday, Lehr may decide to visit Houston next, though there has been no confirmation yet as to whether Houston figures into Lehr's itenerary.

nfljunky
10.03.2005, 06:27 AM
Sharper in Stripes?

As word spreads around the league that linebacker Jamie Sharper is available via trade, one newspaper believes he might be working on fashioning some stripes into his fall wardrobe.

The Cincinnati Enquirer received word from an unspecified source that Sharper is talking to the Bengals about a possible trade. If the Texans were to consummate a deal with the Bengals, it would reunite Sharper with Cincinnati head coach Marvin Lewis, Sharper's defensive coordinator when he played with the Ravens.

Sharper, 30, is capable of playing a variety of positions in both a 3-4 and a 4-3 defensive scheme. It maximizes the number of teams he could potentially play for outside of Houston if he is traded. Other speculated destinations for Sharper include Seattle, Kansas City, Cleveland, and Baltimore.

In other free agent news, the Texans have interest in center Matt Lehr of the Rams according to a report published by the Rocky Mountain News. Lehr visited with the Broncos on Monday and left town for Atlanta without a contract. After meeting with the Falcons on Tuesday, Lehr may decide to visit Houston next, though there has been no confirmation yet as to whether Houston figures into Lehr's itenerary.

Duggay,
Do you care about losing Sharper? Would you rather see the Texans keep him? I've got my views as an "outsider" but I'm interested in what the real fans think.

duggay
10.03.2005, 05:40 PM
Sorry man, im just the message boy ;)

I think Jamie should have gone, he is 31, and we'll just have to see if Capers made the right descision in the coming season.

duggay
10.03.2005, 09:06 PM
Sharper: Cut Me
Foreman: Me too

Linebackers Jamie Sharper and Jay Foreman have asked the Texans to keep them from hanging in limbo for too long according to a televised report by KRIV-TV in Houston. Both had been told by the Texans to seek a trade late last week.

"If in the next couple days I can't (be traded), I would like for the Texans to release me," Sharper said via phone to the television station.

The station added that Sharper said he would have been willing to restructure his contract if it meant staying with the Texans.

"I was figuring I was going to be staying with the Texans for the rest of my career up until this past Friday."

Sharper told the station that general manager Charley Casserly told him to seek a draft pick in return for his trade, even if it takes up until the college draft in late April.

(Well, he's going now, and the draft pick will be more than better compensation, especially if its for a quality TE or OL player)

Jay Foreman
While Sharper has reportedly received interest in a trade from at least one team, the Bengals, his fellow teammate will likely have a more difficult time finding a willing suitor. Foreman ended the 2004 season on the injured reserve list, and he is still almost two months away from a recovery following ankle surgery.

"I don't think (Sharper and I) were the problem on defense," the station quoted Foreman as saying. "I thought we were the centerpiece."

In free agency news, wide receiver Corey Bradford returned to Houston on Wednesday afternoon following his visit to Detroit. He left his meetings with the Lions without a signing a contract, though as televised on KRIV-TV, the team did give him a personalized Lions jersey and prepared a gameday locker for him to demonstrate their interest. Bradford will next travel to New York to visit the Giants on Thursday.

The Texans may have interested in linebacker Quinton Caver according to the Houston Chronicle. A second round pick of the Eagles in 2001, Caver (6'4" 241) started four games for the Chiefs late last season as an injury fill-in. He finished the year on injured reserve due to a right shoulder sprain.

(Whether or not the descision to change the LBs is a good idea is all down to Capers, so we just have to wait until then.)

Snatching Sanders
The Texans announced on Wednesday the signing of unrestriced free agent Lewis Sanders. Terms of the agreement were not immediately available, but the Cleveland Plain Dealer had reported that the Browns reached a two-year agreement with Sanders on Tuesday. Sanders, who will be 27 before training camp opens, is 6'1" and 210 pounds and was a fourth round pick by the Browns in the 2000 draft. A reserve cornerback, Sanders started five games and played in all 16 last season. His signing likely means that free agent Kenny Wright, another tall corner, has played his last game as a Texan. (March 9, 2005)

(Strange... what was wrong with Dunta Robinson and Aaron Glenn? Ah well)

They Come in Three's

The Texans annouced the signings of fullback Jarrod Baxter, defensive end Corey Sears, and free safety Jason Simmons. Baxter, a restricted free agent, had been been tendered a one-year offer by the team for $656,000. Sears and Simmons each likely signed for the veteran minimum.

(Just filling places in the roster then)

Cat Scratch Fever

Free Safety Marlon McCree is meeting with officials from the Panthers Wednesday night and Thursday according to a report published by the Charlotte Observer. Citing a league source, the paper also says that no contract numbers have been discussed yet.

(I'm asking the Panthers on their thread about this one.)

duggay
12.03.2005, 01:09 PM
Stripes: Jamie's New Jammies?

Linebacker Jamie Sharper asked the Texans to release him, but is he trying to help out an old friend in the process?

Per his agent, Tony Agnone, one of the teams at the top of Sharper's wishlist for a possible trade is the Bengals, according to a report on the team's official website. And it's no coincidence that his former defensive coordinator with the Ravens, Marvin Lewis, is the team's head coach.

“He loves Marvin," Agnone told the Bengals' website. "He’s his guy, his mentor, whatever you want to call him. Jamie would love to be able to sit down and talk with Marvin, but he can’t and we can’t. We’ve been given permission to seek a trade, but not permission to talk.”

Sharper would be able to have his long-awaited chat with Lewis if and when the Texans release him from the final year of his contract. General manager Charley Casserly apparently has no immediate plans to do so, telling Sharper to seek a draft pick in return for his trade, even if it takes up until the college draft in late April.

If Sharper joined his former coach following his release, it would save his new employer from having to deal any sort of compensation in return to the Texans. The Bengals though might not be the only team with interest in obtaining Sharper. According to ESPN.com, the Seahawks might also consider trading for him.

(Nuts...)

In free agency news, the Charlotte Observer reported on Thursday that free safety Marlon McCree signed with the Panther. His one-year contract will pay him a $100,000 signing bonus and a $540,000 base salary.

Jerry Deloach
The Texans announced on Thursday that they have reached an agreement to re-sign reserve defensive lineman Jerry Deloach. According to ESPN.com, it will be a four-year deal worth $4 million, including a $750,000 signing bonus.

Also, the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel speculated on Thursday that the Texans might have interest in tight end Bubba Franks. The five-year veteran had been deemed a transition player by the Packers, due a one-year salary of $2.095 million if no long-term contract is signed.

In using the transition tag on Franks, the Packers retain the right of first refusal if he signs an offer sheet from another team. The team would have up to seven days to match the offer or allow him to move elsewhere.

Franks, 27, has not missed a game due to injury during his NFL career. A three-time Pro Bowler, Franks caught 34 passes in 2004, including seven of them for touchdowns.

(There you go nfljunky! Hopefully one tight end coming right up!

nfljunky
16.03.2005, 03:27 PM
Stripes: Jamie's New Jammies?

Linebacker Jamie Sharper asked the Texans to release him, but is he trying to help out an old friend in the process?

Per his agent, Tony Agnone, one of the teams at the top of Sharper's wishlist for a possible trade is the Bengals, according to a report on the team's official website. And it's no coincidence that his former defensive coordinator with the Ravens, Marvin Lewis, is the team's head coach.

“He loves Marvin," Agnone told the Bengals' website. "He’s his guy, his mentor, whatever you want to call him. Jamie would love to be able to sit down and talk with Marvin, but he can’t and we can’t. We’ve been given permission to seek a trade, but not permission to talk.”

Sharper would be able to have his long-awaited chat with Lewis if and when the Texans release him from the final year of his contract. General manager Charley Casserly apparently has no immediate plans to do so, telling Sharper to seek a draft pick in return for his trade, even if it takes up until the college draft in late April.

If Sharper joined his former coach following his release, it would save his new employer from having to deal any sort of compensation in return to the Texans. The Bengals though might not be the only team with interest in obtaining Sharper. According to ESPN.com, the Seahawks might also consider trading for him.

(Nuts...)

In free agency news, the Charlotte Observer reported on Thursday that free safety Marlon McCree signed with the Panther. His one-year contract will pay him a $100,000 signing bonus and a $540,000 base salary.

Jerry Deloach
The Texans announced on Thursday that they have reached an agreement to re-sign reserve defensive lineman Jerry Deloach. According to ESPN.com, it will be a four-year deal worth $4 million, including a $750,000 signing bonus.

Also, the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel speculated on Thursday that the Texans might have interest in tight end Bubba Franks. The five-year veteran had been deemed a transition player by the Packers, due a one-year salary of $2.095 million if no long-term contract is signed.

In using the transition tag on Franks, the Packers retain the right of first refusal if he signs an offer sheet from another team. The team would have up to seven days to match the offer or allow him to move elsewhere.

Franks, 27, has not missed a game due to injury during his NFL career. A three-time Pro Bowler, Franks caught 34 passes in 2004, including seven of them for touchdowns.

(There you go nfljunky! Hopefully one tight end coming right up!

If they can get Franks (who I know a lot of GB fans have a downer on but whom I like) I think this sets them up to get a quality OLB in the draft.
However they seem obsessed with reaching for a premier LT (first Boselli and now Pace) or their 1st round pick may be gone in trade; two first rounders for Pace would be obscene but If they get him for one then this might be OK.

duggay
16.03.2005, 06:26 PM
Yes, I know I'm copying news off a website, but a)its easier for fans b)it gives me something to do c) everyone else does it.

Pace Plays Texans to Deal with Rams

Better to have pursued and lost than to have never pursued at all? That will be something Texans fans will need to ponder, as Orlando Pace is preparing to sign a long-term deal with the Rams.

Left tackle Pace and his agent came to Houston on Monday to meet with the Texans, and according to the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, he had agreed in principle to contract parameters from the Texans. According to KRIV-TV in Houston, the Texans had planned on a seven-year contract worth roughly $52.5 million. News of Pace's fruitful visit apparently spurred the Rams' front office into action, and they have re-structured their offer to Pace's liking with more guaranteed money up front.

Talking to St. Louis radio station KFNS-AM, Pace said, "We're close. I'm about to get on a plane right now (to Orlando) and hopefully by the time I land, we'll have a deal."

Pace, 29, was levied the franchise tag by the Rams last month for the third consecutive year. The first overall pick in the 1997 draft, Pace lived up to expectations as one of the league's premier left tackles. If Pace had not been re-signed by the Rams and a trade could not be achieved, the Texans would by rule be required to give up two first round picks to acquire the franchised player.

Unless the offensive line is addressed early in next month's college draft, the Texans will be left to their current resources to protect David Carr. If that is the case, unnamed sources indicate the team may consider experimenting with Todd Wade at left tackle during mini-camp workouts.

(This really is make or break time. No matter what, the O-line problem needs to be adressed, and Pace could become very vital - I reckon if the O-line problem is sorted, the Texans could have a good season, considering we're playing the 49s and Cardinals next season. If we don't, it's all down to the draft which is obviously VERY risky. Fingers crossed)

(One of the things I hate about being a Texan fan is I'm the only one that's on now, this board is a conversation between me and nfljunky :'(, so I will change the name of The Lonesome Texan when I feel we have support :D)

(Which will never happen :'()

nfljunky
17.03.2005, 06:49 AM
Duggay,
You need to be a little more patient. You need to do well (make play offs or preferably win a Super Bowl) before you get the requisite number of hangers on.
Anyway, it will be so much more worthwhile when it happens than the guilt from having jumped on the bandwagon.

duggay
17.03.2005, 08:37 PM
Pace Finally Signs with Rams

Well, Orlando Pace will get to play at Reliant Stadium this fall. Trouble is, it will only happen once, and it will be for the other team.

ESPN.com is confirming that Pace has indeed inked a new long-term contract with the Rams for $52.8 million, including a $15 million signing bonus. The left tackle and his agent had visited Houston on Monday to meet with the Texans, but Pace left on Tuesday with word of a revised offer from the Rams.

According to the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, Pace had agreed in principle to contract parameters from the Texans. HoustonProFootball.com learned from an unnamed source that the unwritten offer had been in line with the Rams' revised proposal for seven years and almost $53 million.

Unless the offensive line is addressed early in next month's college draft, the Texans will be left to their current resources to protect David Carr. If that is the case, unnamed sources indicate the team may consider experimenting with Todd Wade at left tackle during mini-camp workouts. General manager Charley Casserly has said in various interviews that while there is ample depth at the offensive line position in the 2005 draft, he has been skeptical that any of them would be worthy of the team's first round pick at 13th overall.

(Looks like it's up to players such as Alex Barron and Wesley Britt in the draft then, :( its a shame but we can't have it all...yet ;)... but we'll only really know by next season)

The Texans announced a very familiar-looking preseason schedule for 2005. First, the team opens with the Broncos at home sometime between August 11th and 15th. Next, the Texans will welcome Randy Moss and the rest of the Raiders to Houston sometime between August 18th and 22nd.

Rounding out the rest of the preseason slate is a pair of road games, including one to Dallas (August 25-29) and one to Tampa (September 1-2). The Texans have faced the Cowboys and Buccaneers in all three of their previous preseason schedules. None of the Texans' 2005 preseason dates will be nationally televised.

(The preseasons not that important, but if we beat the Cowboys I'll be happy :D)

duggay
02.04.2005, 06:56 PM
Sharper Cut

The Texans waved goodbye to perhaps their most productive player on defense since the franchise began play in 2002. Linebacker Jamie Sharper was granted his release from the team on Friday and is now able to seek a new contract from another team.

The Texans, who had released fellow linebacker Jay Foreman a couple weeks ago, had hoped to find a trading partner for Sharper's services. Due to the $4.75 million in salary Sharper was due in the final year of his contract, no trade offers ever materialized.

By releasing Sharper, the Texans absorb a dead money cap hit of $1.375 million. The move, however, does clear Sharper's 2005 salary off the books, giving the team ample room to make another significant offseason transaction if the team sees fit to do so.

The Bengals are considered the most interested in negotiating a new contract with Sharper. Head coach Marvin Lewis mentored Sharper while the two were together in Baltimore.

Sharper's departure leaves a hole in the middle of the Texans defense. The expansion pick of three years ago has amassed 436 tackles in his tenure with the Texans, even leading the entire league in the statistic in 2003.

The Texans signed Morlon Greenwood to replace one of the two departed positions at inside linebacker, and it is expected that Kailee Wong will shift from the right outside linebacker position to the other inside position before training camp. The Texans also hosted Derrick Johnson, the top college prospect at linebacker, on Friday, increasing speculation in the team's interest in drafting the All-American and multiple award-winning former Longhorn.

It's a shame that he's gone, but I've said it many times and I'll say it again: He's pretty old and the highest paid player not named David Carr if he was to stay one.

styles
05.04.2005, 01:28 PM
David Carr has proved to be a good QB,

Will he be able to take the Texans in to the playoffs this year?

What do you Texans fans think of Davis?

Personally i'mstill not convinced although admitidly he has had 1000 yard seasons consecutively.
(Am i right in saying that)

duggay
05.04.2005, 01:44 PM
David Carr has proved to be a good QB,

Will he be able to take the Texans in to the playoffs this year?

What do you Texans fans think of Davis?

Personally i'mstill not convinced although admitidly he has had 1000 yard seasons consecutively.
(Am i right in saying that)

OMFG!!!!

Congratulations, you're the first Giant fan EVER to talk on this board, and its been a long while since someone else other than me posted here ;D

To answer your questions, yes David Carr could take the Texans to the Playoffs. He's reliable, very accurate and is constantly getting better with his passing, see http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/306268 and you see what I mean.

He has 8)Angry Dre 8) (or Andre Johnson, only Texan fans can call him 8)Angry Dre 8)) to pass to, who is a fantastic receiver and who is also getting better (Carr to Johnson will soon become a catchphrase). Corey Bradford was his No2, but now he's gone, so that will have to be adressed. A decent TE wouldn't be out of the question either (as you can see by nfljunkys comments)

His only weakness is that O-line, it really is poor. It could have had Orlando Pace of the Rams but he was quickly re-signed. Alex Barron in the draft seems like a good prospect. A TE would be good as well (addition blocker)

Dominc Davis is a very big part of the Texans offence, as he fits in with the conservitave style of play used - that is, taking up as much time as possible to keep opposing offences off the field. Davis is getting a lot of time with the ball, which is giving him a good amount of time to develop. (This coming season will be his 3rd)

At the start of this past season Davis kept fumbling, but he definatly picked it up later on.

So anyway thanks for posting, it's just such a rare occasion thats all! :D

YorkshireRaven
05.04.2005, 02:04 PM
I can see David Carr becoming one of the Bradys or Mannings of 5 years in the future

duggay
05.04.2005, 04:57 PM
I can see David Carr becoming one of the Bradys or Mannings of 5 years in the future

Wow! another poster, its a red letter day for me :D

Don't forget that the Texans have some fantasitc CBs - Dunta Robinson had a fantastic season, Arron Glenn is still a decent veteren and Demarcass Faggins is making big plays when needed :)

nfljunky
05.04.2005, 05:03 PM
What do you think of the latest mock draft (V2) on the Draft 2005 part of the message board Duggay? Do you see the Texans wanting Thomas davis at 12?

allthegiants
05.04.2005, 05:07 PM

Don't forget that the Texans have some fantasitc CBs - Dunta Robinson had a fantastic season, Arron Glenn is still a decent veteren and Demarcass Faggins is making big plays when needed :)

Just to add to your good day, what do the texans need? OL or WR to help Carr?

nfljunky
05.04.2005, 05:09 PM
A TE actually I think

duggay
05.04.2005, 05:14 PM

Most people would say OL, but it's not as obvious at it seems.

We really need a decent WR2 since we lost Corey Bradford, unless Jabar Gaffney or Dereck Armstrong can step up. Gaffney was improving near the end of the season (see the Chicargo Bears game).

A good OL line would be fine really. If not, full plate armour for Carr would be just fine ;D

allthegiants
05.04.2005, 05:15 PM
A TE actually I think

How come? A blocking TE or a TE like Shockey and Gonzalez?

duggay
05.04.2005, 05:15 PM
A TE actually I think

Or a TE, which could help the O-line and give something else for Carr to pass to.

05.04.2005, 05:18 PM
What do you think of the latest mock draft (V2) on the Draft 2005 part of the message board Duggay? Do you see the Texans wanting Thomas davis at 12?

Thomas Davis is an OLB prospect because his hips aren't good enough for FS. He's now a late round one at best type because of this. Wants to play S because the teams want him at OLB. Not really an option any more.

duggay
05.04.2005, 05:45 PM

I'm not big with the college stuff, but I like...

Wesley Britt
College: Alabama
Year: Senior
Height: 6'7"
Weight: 313
Birthday: November 21, 1982

Alabama left tackle Wesley Britt has fared well the last three seasons in his matchups against the quality defensive linemen of the Southeastern Conference. In 2002, his last full season, his coaches graded him out at least 96% in 12 of 13 games, including perfect ratings against LSU and Ole Miss and 99% against Oklahoma and Auburn.

The powerful Britt is a road grader in the running game and has the size and wingspan to keep pass rushers at bay. He is also a very polished player who has worked hard to refine his technique. Britt is the leader of the Crimson Tide offensive line and will suit up this fall as a graduate student, having earned his marketing degree last December.

Britt has not played since suffering a gruesome compound fracture of his left leg last October in Alabama’s game against Tennessee. The injury required surgery to insert a rod and screws to support the leg. Although he did not participate in spring practice, the Tide expect Britt to be ready to go this season. Speed rushers gave him the most trouble before his injury, so any loss of quickness due to the injury would be very problematic.

also...

Offensive Lineman
Mike Muñoz
College: Tennessee
Height: 6'5"
Weight: 315
Birthday: July 31, 1981

Anthony Michael Muñoz, Jr. may never live up to the unrealistic expectations of those who expect him to be a dominanting player as was his father, who is generally considered the best offensive tackle in NFL history. Michael Muñoz has, however, developed into a fine college player and pro prospect in his own right.

Muñoz started every game of his true freshman year at Tennessee as the Volunteers’ right tackle. He redshirted in 2001 due to a torn anterior cruciate ligament and then returned to the lineup the following two seasons at left tackle.

Muñoz is big, strong, and obviously well schooled in the fundamentals of the position. Although he has a quiet and humble demeanor, the two-time Volunteer captain has a fierce competitive streak and leads by example. Muñoz has battled back from injury and had his best, most consistent season as a junior.

Muñoz’s knee will have to withstand the scrutiny of NFL medical staffs. While he is an above-average athlete, quicker pass rushers can give him problems so right tackle may be his best NFL position. Muñoz, who gave the speech as his father’s presenter at Anthony’s Hall of Fame induction in 1998, is not guaranteed to return to Canton, Ohio as a Hall of Fame enshrinee himself, but he should become a quality NFL starter.

and...

Eric Winston
College: Miami
Year: Junior
Height: 6'6"
Weight: 310
Birthday: November 17, 1983

Eric Winston arrived at Miami with the goal of becoming the next great Hurricane tight end. The Midland Lee High School product played as a true freshman behind Kellen Winslow, seeing time at tight end, H-back, and fullback.

After the season, Winston evaluated his prospects and felt he had to choose between becoming either “a good tight end or a great tackle.” By the next fall, Winston had earned Miami’s starting left tackle job. In his first ever season as an offensive lineman, the Hurricane coaches named him the teams’ offensive MVP against West Virginia and Rutgers.

Winston’s “Neanderthal” nickname suits his physical blocking style. He has managed to bulk up without losing his tight end agility, so he can handle the speed and quickness of the more athletic pass rushers while also possessing the strength to push around the bigger defensive linemen. Although only a sophomore, he became a vocal leader of the talented Miami team and is admired for his attitude and work ethic.

Despite his great natural ability and the strides he has taken in such a short time, Winston has room for improvement. He can get bigger and stronger, and he needs to establish a longer track record of playing success since consistency is such an important quality in offensive linemen.

Winston already draws comparisons to another tight end-turned-tackle, Robert Gallery. Winston could become the same caliber of prospect as the second pick in the 2004 draft, especially if he stays in school through 2005 and continues to develop physically and gain experience.

and as for tight ends...

Joel Dreessen
College: Colorado State
Height: 6'3"
Weight: 260
Birthday: July 26, 1982

Give Joel Dreessen the chance, and he will make a big play. Last year he took advantage of a blown assignment by the Cal defense that left him alone to score on an 85-yard catch and run. Against Miami of Ohio, he caught a pass 28 yards downfield and rumbled another 40 yards to the endzone.

A starter since his sophomore season, Dreessen plays the H-back in Colorado State’s double tight end offense. That position has him lining up in a variety of alignments, including tight end, wingback, and fullback. Dreessen moves very well for a player of his size and is a willing blocker. A team leader and an excellent student, he also handles the long snapping duties for the Rams.

Dreessen missed four games last year with an abdominal strain but reportedly has fully healed. While he is solid in nearly every aspect of the position, he lacks the special qualities that make an elite prospect stand out from the pack. Dreessen is also shorter than the prototype tight end.

Dreessen’s toughness, consistency, and versatility are his greatest assets. His ability to contribute as a long snapper also enhances his value.

Alex Smith
College: Stanford
Height: 6'4"
Weight: 255
Birthday: May 22, 1982

Alex Smith’s father Edwin played defensive end for the Broncos in the early 1970s, and the son inherited his father’s NFL-caliber athletic ability. The younger Smith became a Denver-area high school star in basketball and track (in the 400 m and the high jump) and a national blue chip prospect as a tight end that signed with Stanford.

In Smith’s sophomore season at Stanford, injuries decimated the Cardinal tight end ranks, leaving Smith as the only player at the position with any experience. Only wideout Teyo Johnson caught more balls on that team than Smith. Smith’s best outing in 2002 was an eight reception, 120-yard performance in a victory over Arizona. Last year, Smith was the co-starter as Stanford operated primarily out of a double-tight end set. His receiving stats declined as a result, but the Cardinal intend to look his way more often this season.

Smith has excellent hand-eye coordination and the size/speed combination to create mismatches for both linebackers and safeties. He is particularly hard to cover in jump ball situations, since he has the bulk to outmuscle smaller defenders and the leaping ability to go up and get passes that appear out of reach. Smith is only an average blocker and needs to put more effort into this aspect of his game.

I did get this from the HoustonProFootball site :-[, but these players interested me anyway and theres no other way I can learn about potential Texan players. I'm sure Ed, who knows nearly everything about college players could help.

duggay
05.04.2005, 06:40 PM
A TE actually I think

Either kind is good. An extra blocker would help the O-line a lot, and if the O-line is getting overwhelmed a short pass to a catching TE would be great too.

nfljunky
05.04.2005, 07:11 PM
A TE actually I think

Here's my view from an earlier part of the thread but I would point out I'm in a majority of 1!!

"On Offence the big need is a receiving TE to take the load off Carr. His OL isn’t the type to give up the most sacks in the League but it pretty much did that so again everyone’s looking at Seth Wand blaming him. The truth of the matter is it takes longer to throw to a WR than a TE and Billy Miller is not a security blanket in anyone’s book. Towards the end of the season it got so bad that the Texans kept on throwing quick balls to Andre Johnson in the flat, bringing him across the middle like a TE and when he became mortal and started dropping balls so went the Houston offence. In doing this they’d effectively cut off their nose to spite their face because now they also lost their ¾ of their excellent deep game.

Would it be nice to have Willie Roaf at LT? Of course it would but recently it seems if you want a quality tackle either draft in the top five and cross your fingers or get one in Free Agency (Tra Thomas and Pace are the only two worth considering but Houston won’t get them).

I’d try and trade down to a place where Heath Miller is if that isn’t there then pick up a corner to replace Glenn in a couple of years."

05.04.2005, 07:34 PM
Britt's a massive faller because he's never healthy. Maybe even a day 2 pick now.

Munoz has Daddy's name but is no more than an averagr prospect. He was also hurt this year. A 3rd/4th round type.

Winston is staying at Miami

Dreessen and Smith are both receiving TEs. Smith's an early 2nd round type and could be the #1 TE in the draft. Dreessen's a late day 1 or early day 2 pick.

duggay
06.04.2005, 06:51 PM
I'm pretty sure I saw another Texan fan around :o so I will continue.

The first round pick for the Texans is all important - The last 1st round picks all started for the team (Carr, Johnson, Robinson) and this year will be no different.

Currently rumoured to be the pick is OT Alex Barron, who is huge, has potential, but I personally would like to see Troy Williamson at WR as a decent WR no2 to complemente 8)Angry Dre 8)

South Carolina wide receiver Troy Williamson didn't put up huge numbers in Columbia, primarily because the Gamecocks' offense ranked 75th in passing offense last season. But Williamson averaged more than 19 yards per grab and is considered one of the fastest prospects and best deep threats. He could be there when the Texans are on the clock in round one. Ditto for UAB's Roddy White, who had 71 catches for 1,452 yards and 14 scores in 2004. White might be a little unpolished on his route running but there are few comparable to him after the catch.

Two diminutive wideouts should hear their names called before the first day is through. Oklahoma's Mark Clayton is just 5-10 but shined in the Senior Bowl and he can return kicks. Miami's Roscoe Parrish is shorter than Clayton but caught 43 passes for 693 yards and eight touchdowns last season.

Georgia's Reggie Brown is as physical as any receiving prospect but some teams are concerned with his injury history, which includes ACL and hamstring injuries. At 6-4, West Virginia's Chris Henry is second only to Williams in terms of size, but is somewhat inconsistent. Another Sooner, Mark Bradley, is quietly moving up the charts as a receiver and return man.

If the WR 2 became Gaffney or Armstrong (who I think are pretty poor) the Rookie will probably return kicks and punts.

YorkshireRaven
06.04.2005, 07:13 PM

Most people would say OL, but it's not as obvious at it seems.

We really need a decent WR2 since we lost Corey Bradford, unless Jabar Gaffney or Dereck Armstrong can step up. Gaffney was improving near the end of the season (see the Chicargo Bears game).

A good OL line would be fine really. If not, full plate armour for Carr would be just fine ;D
You have a good WR, you need to bolster your O-Line more than anything or else another WR will be deadwood with a QB always on the run

06.04.2005, 07:44 PM
I would be STUNNED if Williamson is there at #13

12.04.2005, 06:08 PM
Texan fans, your vote in the NFLUK consensus mock, make your votes at http://www.nfluk.com/usersession.php?board=14;action=display;threadid=9 836

So far Derrick Johnson is slightly ahead of Demarcus Ware, but you can change that, if you want to.

duggay
12.04.2005, 06:28 PM
Texan fan, your vote in the NFLUK consensus mock, make your votes at http://www.nfluk.com/usersession.php?board=14;action=display;threadid=9 836

So far Derrick Johnson is slightly ahead of Demarcus Ware, but you can change that, if you want to.

;D

duggay
13.04.2005, 05:54 PM
Bradford Back for More

WR Corey Bradford signed a one-year contract worth $815,000. The deal includes a $150,000 signing bonus according to report televised on KRIV-TV Monday night. "If I decided to go to another team and not come back to the Texans, this would probably be the year they'd take off, and I'd feel sick," said Bradford, 29, in a televised interview with the station. "I want to be a part of it." (April 12, 2005)

Regular Season
09.11 at Buffalo
09.18 Pittsburgh
09.25 Bye
10.02 at Cincinnati
10.09 Tennessee
10.16 at Seattle
10.23 Indianapolis
10.30 Cleveland
11.06 at Jacksonville
11.13 at Indianapolis
11.20 Kansas City
11.27 St. Louis
12.04 at Baltimore
12.11 at Tennessee
12.18 Arizona
12.24 Jacksonville
01.01 at San Francisco

The NFL announced its league-wide 2005 schedule on Wednesday, and the Texans will get two opportunities to shine in prime time.

Following a solid Sunday night performance against the Packers last season, the Texans have two Sunday night games on this year's schedule. The first will come on the road in Seattle in Week 6, and it will reunite linebacker Jamie Sharper with his former teammates. Sharper signed a five-year contract with the Seahawks on Tuesday.

The second prime time game will be at home for the Texans in Week 11 against Kansas City. The Chiefs, at one time known as the Texans when the team played in Dallas, will be seeking revenge for the game they lost to the Texans last season at Arrowhead Stadium.

The season opens for the Texans on the road in Buffalo, a blessing given how temperatures can drop quickly as the season progresses. The following week will be the team's home opener, a noon kickoff against the Steelers. The team's bye week will be in Week 3.

The last two games of the regular season fall during the holidays. The Texans will host the Jaguars on Christmas Eve, a likely occasion for the team to break out their "Battle Red" jerseys. The team will close out the 2005 season when they travel to San Francisco to face the 49ers on New Year's Day.

;D Nothing for ages, then all of a sudden...

duggay
20.04.2005, 03:23 PM
Buchanon Traded to the Texans
The draft doesn't start until Saturday, but already the Texans have something to show for it.

In an unexpected move late on Tuesday, the Texans traded two first-day picks in the 2005 NFL Draft to acquire disgruntled cornerback Phillip Buchanon from the Raiders. The Texans will retain their first round pick for this weekend's draft, but they gave up their second round selection and one of their two third round picks for the opportunity to finalize the deal.

Buchanon, 24, was a first round pick out of Miami in the 2002 draft. After a career-high 59 tackles through 14 games last season, Buchanon sat out the final two games due to bruises on his lower back and tailbone. Of his three interceptions in 2004, he returned one for a touchdown. Buchanon made six interceptions in 2003, taking two of them back for scores.

Buchanon joins what has quickly become one of the league's deepest, most talented defensive backfields. With starters Aaron Glenn and Dunta Robinson, Buchanon joins Demarcus Faggins and Lewis Sanders for the fight to one day succeed the aging Glenn as the starter. Given his promise as a stellar cover corner and playmaker talented enough to become a Pro Bowler, Buchanon may even challenge Glenn for playing time this season.

While his value to the Texans will first and foremost be as a corner, Buchanon has gained some NFL experience as punt returner with the Raiders. Though his 2004 punt return stats declined to 5.8 yards per return with no touchdowns, he did average 13.6 yards per punt return the year before, even adding a pair of scores.

Buchanon has two years remaining on the contract he signed with the Raiders as a rookie. His base salaries will pay him $700,000 this season and $800,000 in 2006. The $4 million signing bonus Buchanon received as a rookie will not affect the Texans' cap, as it will accelerate to the Raiders' cap this year.

Reggie Swinton
Swinton Returns to Texas The Texans gave returned J.J. Moses some training camp competition on Monday, signing former Lion and Cowboy Reggie Swinton. Contract terms were not immediately available, but is believed that Swinton signed a one-year contract with a base salary worth $540,000 and is possibly qualifying for the veteran's exemption, limiting his cap hit to $455,000 if his signing bonus does not exceed $25,000. Swinton, who will turn 30 this summer, has experience returning both kicks and punts. While last season was something of an off-year for Swinton, in 2003 he averaged 23.9 yards per kick return with one touchdown and 13.3 yards per punt return including another touchdown. (April 19, 2005)

I think the Buchanon thing is a nice pick up for us. Makes you wonder the Texan's plans for draft day... we won't be drafting a CB then. It does give us a really good young CB pairing if Arron Glenn doesn't play, so all is well 8)

ThaDon
20.04.2005, 04:28 PM
dont the texans have a good young CB anyway, robinson i think or is that bills?

BuccaneersUK
20.04.2005, 04:31 PM

Since Seattle. It took them untill their eighth season to make it to January.
Even the mighty 0-14 Tampa Bay Buccaneers managed to do it at their fourth attempt. (And I mean the 0-14 Buccaneers, because they still had most of their players from that dismal season playing for them.)

0-26 over multiple seasons :'(

duggay
20.04.2005, 04:50 PM
dont the texans have a good young CB anyway, robinson i think or is that bills?

Dunta Robinson, made a decent push for Defensive Rookie of the Year last season and made the Pro Bowl 8)

Makes it a daunting secondary to face :)

duggay
24.04.2005, 04:08 PM
Same Story,
Second Verse?

Here's a ballad about the Texans adding speed and youth to a position anchored by a respected veteran and original Texans, then telling said veteran to seek a trade. If you think we're rehashing the Jamie Sharper story, think again. This sad lyric is about cornerback Aaron Glenn.

The Texans have told Glenn to seek a trade days after acquiring cornerback Phillip Buchanon from the Raiders in exchange for a pair of draft picks. According to unnamed sources talking to KTRK-TV, KRIV-TV, and the Houston Chronicle, Glenn, 32, expressed frustration regarding the trade before the weekend.

It is not known whether the team first approached Glenn to structure the remaining salaries on the contract extension signed in 2002. Glenn, who became the second-highest paid player on the team after quarterback David Carr once Sharper left, is scheduled to make base salaries of $4 million in 2005, $4.25 million in 2006, and $5.5 million in 2007.

Should the Texans and Glenn fail to find a trading partner and release Glenn before June 1, they will assume the remaining $3.5 million in unamortized bonus money as dead space on the salary cap. That figure would lessen to just $1.16 million this year (and $2.33 million in 2006) if Glenn were released on or after June 1

Aww... I liked Glenn, it's a real shame that he may go. First a draft I really don't like that much, and now this :'(

Woolley_Man
24.04.2005, 06:00 PM
if donnie abraham retires,i'd more than happy to see Glenn back in green and white.He would be a great short term guy till justin miller or Derrick Strait develops.

Culpepper2Moss
27.04.2005, 08:57 AM
He's gone:

HOUSTON (AP) - Cornerback Aaron Glenn, one of the original Houston Texans, was released by the team on Tuesday to clear room for Philip Buchanon, acquired in a trade with Oakland last week.

Coach Dom Capers met with Glenn, a 12-year veteran, shortly after the trade and offered him the option of reduced playing time or the chance to play with another team.
Glenn, who turns 33 in September, becomes the fourth defensive starter for the Texans to leave in the offseason. Inside linebackers Jamie Sharper and Jay Foreman and strong safety Eric Brown were released in March, part of the Texans' offseason makeover of a defense that finished in the bottom third of the NFL for a second straight season.

Glenn played with the New York Jets for eight seasons before joining his hometown Texans in the 2002 expansion draft. He was selected to his third Pro Bowl in the team's first year but was limited to only 11 games in 2003 because of various injuries.

He rebounded with a solid season in 2004, intercepting five passes and making 63 tackles while serving as a mentor for Robinson.

Sorry Duggay :'(

duggay
27.04.2005, 03:40 PM
He's gone:

HOUSTON (AP) - Cornerback Aaron Glenn, one of the original Houston Texans, was released by the team on Tuesday to clear room for Philip Buchanon, acquired in a trade with Oakland last week.

Coach Dom Capers met with Glenn, a 12-year veteran, shortly after the trade and offered him the option of reduced playing time or the chance to play with another team.
Glenn, who turns 33 in September, becomes the fourth defensive starter for the Texans to leave in the offseason. Inside linebackers Jamie Sharper and Jay Foreman and strong safety Eric Brown were released in March, part of the Texans' offseason makeover of a defense that finished in the bottom third of the NFL for a second straight season.

Glenn played with the New York Jets for eight seasons before joining his hometown Texans in the 2002 expansion draft. He was selected to his third Pro Bowl in the team's first year but was limited to only 11 games in 2003 because of various injuries.

He rebounded with a solid season in 2004, intercepting five passes and making 63 tackles while serving as a mentor for Robinson.

Sorry Duggay :'(

:'( :'(

He was a Jamie Sharper - a rock on the Texan Defence but he was old and was going to be paid a lot... but he's been there from the start :'(

Hopefully with the progress of Dunta Robinson and DeMarcus Faggins, plus the acquisiton of Buchannon, we should have a decent young secondary. Shame though.

duggay
19.05.2005, 11:50 AM
Seeing as nothings happend for a while, and theres been big things like the loss of Bennie Jopru (again) I'll put this on.

Moses Parts with Battle Red Team
TE Marcellus Rivers Signed

The Texans let another of their people go on Wednesday, releasing kick and punt returner J.J. Moses before he had a full opportunity to retain his duties in training camp this summer.

Moses, 25, had signed a one-year contract with the Texans as an exclusive rights free agent at the end of March. Standing at 5'6", he was the shortest player in the league last season.

While Moses was never able to take a return for a touchdown with the Texans, he does still hold the team record for kickoff return yardage in a single season (1,355 in 2003). Moses proved reliable, too, as he had lost only one fumble in the 218 times he touched the football. He had also shown marked improvement in his punt returns last season, raising his average from 6.8 yards per return in 2003 to 8.6 yards in 2004.

Moses' departure opens up the return man competition this summer, and it might take two players to replace him. After signing wide receiver Reggie Swinton in April to compete as both a kick and punt returner, the Texans traded for cornerback Phillip Buchanon, who returned two punts for touchdowns in 2003 with the Raiders. The Texans then drafted wide receiver Jerome Mathis, a record-breaking kickoff returner in college. Running back Tony Hollings might compete again for kick return duties this summer as well.

With Moses gone, the Texans had room to add tight end Marcellus Rivers to the roster on Wednesday. Rivers spent four seasons with the Giants as a reserve, catching 27 passes for 227 yards and four touchdowns during that span.

The signing of Rivers coincides with the news earlier in the week that tight end Bennie Joppru was lost for the season once again due to injury. Joppru tore the ACL in his right knee on Monday and will miss his third consecutive year as a pro.

I'm trying to find pictures of the Texans in Mini-camp, none so far :(

Woolley_Man
19.05.2005, 11:58 AM
thats a shame,i've always liked Moses and i hope he can catch on with another team.I also feel sorry for Bennie Joppru 3 straight season ending injuries before he has even stepped onto the field,if it weren't for Bad luck he would have no luck at all.

duggay
22.05.2005, 11:14 AM
Ho Hum, all by myself :'(

Texans Singing 'Gimme Shelton'
Pitts, Wand Flipping Out?
The Texans remained busy during a normally quiet period of the offseason on Friday, as there have been reports that the team has expressed an interest in signing left tackle L.J. Shelton.

Shelton, 29, was released by the Cardinals on Wednesday after losing his starting job midway though the 2004 season. At 6'6" and roughly 340 pounds, Shelton will likely command a lot of attention from other teams before he signs with any of them.

After being selected by the Cardinals in the first round of the 1999 draft, Shelton served as the Cardinals' starter for roughly five seasons. Until he was benched by new head coach Dennis Green last year, Shelton had been a consistent performer for the Cardinals, showing off his strength and athleticism.

Shelton signed a five-year contract extension in 2003 that paid him a $5 million signing bonus and $3 million per season in base salaries. Prior to last month's draft, his name was mentioned often in trade speculation with the Bills, though the Bears and Buccaneers were also rumored to have interest as well.

The Houston Chronicle reported on Saturday that the Texans' current starter, Seth Wand, had been swapping positions with left guard Chester Pitts during last week's coaching session workouts. The pursuit of another left tackle comes after the team substituted Marcus Spears for Wand late last season on passing downs, followed by the Texans' attempted acquisition of Rams' frachised player Orlando Pace.

The Texans also signed former Saints' right tackle Victor Riley earlier this month, though he reported to last week's coaching sessions out of shape.

Looks like we're sorting the O-line out with Vets then. No other Texan fans to discuss this with, ho hum :( ;)

Bloomin' eck! 1000th post, I've come a long way, from total noob to lonesome fan, still talking to myself on my on thread :'(

Medley
22.05.2005, 07:04 PM
The Texans also signed former Saints' right tackle Victor Riley earlier this month, though he reported to last week's coaching sessions out of shape.

:o How unlike him!

nfljunky
22.05.2005, 07:28 PM
I sort of like the idea of Pitts to LT and Wand to LG but I'm aware that this smacks a little of moving Pitts inside after 2003 when his performance was significantly improved over his rookie year when he nearly got Carr buried.
Wand blocks well for the run and who's to say he won't make a similar improvement to that Pitts made before he was moved?

allthegiants
08.06.2005, 01:20 PM
With Shelton going to the Browns, do you think the Texans will make a move for Verba?

duggay
08.06.2005, 06:25 PM
I hope not. He's being allowed to seek a trade ie he's getting released. I don't think he'd hack it tbh, he'd more likely play guard.

duggay
31.07.2005, 08:55 PM
Alll righty then... lets bring this train wreck of a thread up (now with added wang ;D) and bring you some of the latest news from Houston!

Johnson Inks
5-Year Contract

The day-long nightmare is over. The longest rookie holdout in Texans history has come to an end as first round pick Travis Johnson signed a five-year contract with the team on Saturday.

According to terms published by ESPN.com, Johnson's deal is worth a total of $10.2 million, including signing bonuses amounting to $7.77 million. The Houston Chronicle reported on Sunday that the guaranteed money stood at $5.92 million, plus a roster bonus of $1.06 million due next week and a one-time playing time incentive bonus of $525,000. Also, a source noted on ProFootballTalk.com that Johnson's contract includes "escalators and other devices" that can increase the total value by another $4.375 million.

Johnson, 23, is not expected to immediately start for the team as the team's previous first round picks have done to date. He will instead be a regular member of the defensive line rotation, perhaps most often at defensive end.

Johnson's signing means that all of the Texans' draft picks are finally under contract. Johnson attended the team's evening practice on Saturday, and he will participate in pads for the first time on Sunday.

I really wish they'd stop with the "first time in Houston Texans history" because yes, we get it, we're a new team ::)

And that all important training camp report! Wooot!

Dancing With the Starlings
by Keith Weiland
HoustonProFootball.com

In his weekly radio interview last Friday, Texans general manager Charley Casserly noted that the number one storyline he'll be watching during this year's training camp will be the position battles.

Well, stop the presses.

(Wait... Doesn't that statement have just about zero relevance in an online format? How about "euthanize the upload"? Hmm... needs work. Seems I'm not quite in midseason form yet, so time to run some forties... forty words per minute that is.)

Position battles should be what training camp is all about, and the Texans have a few good ones brewing this time around, their fourth turn on the training camp dance floor. The most dazzling competition on display Saturday night came from the wide receivers.

Everyone knows Pro Bowler Andre Johnson is first on the team's dance card. The next safest in line is Jabar Gaffney, who wore a stunning red cover jersey during practice Saturday (overheard before practice from Melissa Rivers: "Jabar! Who are you wearing tonight?" Gaffney's response: "Riddell! And a little Ben Gay!").

After Johnson and Gaffney though, it's on like Donkey Kong.

The Texans brought back Corey Bradford for a one-year deal, and Derick Armstrong has another season left on his contract. They seem like logical fits to round out the top four on the depth chart, but the two most exciting guys fighting for more playing time this fall are Kendrick Starling and Jerome Mathis.

Both Starling and Mathis were sensational on Saturday night. Neither is the complete receiver, but both are electric in their own right. Mathis made the play of the evening when he outran cornerback Lewis Sanders fifty yards downfield, adjusting to an underthrown ball from quarterback Tony Banks, then ripping it out of the hands of Sanders for a training camp version of a touchdown. Simply breathtaking.

Not to be outdone, Starling later broke free to be on the receiving end of another deep pass and blazed a clear path to a fake six points. Reminiscent of J.J. Moses the last two years, Starling then played it up to the fans to feel the love in the room. Who says training camp doesn't count?

Robaire Barely There
Much has already been made about how svelte the defensive linemen look this year, as several of them shed considerable baby fat during the offseason.

(Unconfirmed rumor of the night: The leftover fat was NOT re-congealed last month to form the latest adopted newborn of Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt. Those sick rumor-mongerering *******s. Shameful. That fat was actually seen on Richmond on Monday, strung out but earning rent money cleaning windshields. Bouce back, baby fat, bounce back.)

Defensive end Robaire Smith is now under 310 pounds, and the results were noticeable on Saturday. Not only is he leaner, but Smith was much quicker than he ever looked in 2004. In one-on-one drills, Smith routinely abused left guard Chester Pitts.

While Smith posted a career high in tackles last season, he was a non-factor as a disruptive force through most of it. If Day One of Camp Capers 2005 is any indication, that could change in a big way this fall.

Center Stage
In those same one-on-one drills noted above, Smtih was not alone in laying waste to his teammates on the offensive line. Center Steve McKinney got an earful from coach Joe Pendry on a few occasions for allowing his man to bully him back into a hat representing the quarterback. (Eye witnesses have claimed to The Advance Scout that dimunitive gunslinger B.J. Symons was NOT underneath the hat, so no quarterbacks were harmed in the making of this offensive line. Whew!)

Backup defensive tackle Jerry Deloach pressured McKinney on a couple of those drills. When even reserve Jason Davis gets deep enough on McKinney, it prompts and outburst from Pendry demanding his veteran to repeat the drill.

Other centers on the roster also struggled Saturday. Earlier in the evening, it was Davis again getting the better of a center, this time Todd Washington in a 9-on-7 scrimmage. Washington threw his hands up in disgust following the subpar play. He did, however, find a way to hold his ground on the next snap.

While better days are certain to come, rookie Drew Hodgdon looked a bit like a player making his way through his first NFL training camp on Saturday. Strong, yet inconsistent, Hodgdon was brilliant maneuevering to second-level blocks at one point, only to be outsmarted by a veteran's hand technique at a later point.

The Blitz
Gaffney, who is recovering from a late shoulder surgery, participated in all activities but kept the red jersey on to remind defenders not to touch him. I'd say there is little to worry about when it comes to him being able to pick up any new wrinkles in the Texans' revised passing attack. He's very much involved out there... Mathis joined Phillip Buchanon and Reggie Swinton in shagging punts, but don't pencil him in just yet as the guy to handle the job in addition to his kick return duties. Mathis was unconventional in fielding the footed booms from Chad Stanley, and while the style may be fine for kickoffs, it won't work in heavy punt coverage traffic. Capers has indicated that Buchanon is the leading candidate to return punts this season... Offensive lineman Milford Brown, who has mostly seen time at guard (and has been allegedly capable of handling duties at center), found himself backing up Todd Wade at right tackle most of the night. Brown appeared capable as a run blocker, but he was slow to move his feet as a pass blocker. Still, the versatility he might offer could help him avoid the turk on cutdown day next month... Right guard Zach Wiegert was maybe the best looking offensive lineman out there on Saturday. Here's hoping he finds a way to stay healthy... Dave Ragone has switched jersey numbers from 4 to 15, the latter being the number he wore overseas for the Berlin Thunder. Maybe it will bring him some luck, as he earned the NFL Europe League's Most Valuable Player award donning those digits.

I'm a bit wary of having a starting CB returning punts as you can imagine, but at least Mathis is doing well! TJ hits camp tomorrow.

DarthJet
31.07.2005, 09:37 PM
I was gonna say give us back Aaron Glenn but he`s gone has`nt he ::) ;D

duggay
31.07.2005, 09:40 PM
I was gonna say give us back Aaron Glenn but he`s gone has`nt he ::) ;D

We shall not speak his name... he is a Cowboy now :-X

DarthJet
31.07.2005, 09:47 PM
Bloody parcells & his jet lovefest ;D
I`d have been happy to keep Jason Ferguson for a good price.
I think the game against us was on sky last year??, I hope you do well this year, its about time dallas went on another slump ;D

Stormbell
13.08.2005, 06:01 PM
just wanted to say hello - i am new to the board, moved to the UK from Houston last October, im a big Texan fan! Favorite player: Dominick Davis (easy choice for me because I also went to Louisiana State University), anyway, GO TEXANS, hopefully we can stay in the Wild Card hunt this season. Any of you in the Norwich area?

nfljunky
13.08.2005, 06:58 PM
just wanted to say hello - i am new to the board, moved to the UK from Houston last October, im a big Texan fan! Favorite player: Dominick Davis (easy choice for me because I also went to Louisiana State University), anyway, GO TEXANS, hopefully we can stay in the Wild Card hunt this season. Any of you in the Norwich area?

Hi SB,
Doogie will be pleased with another contributer to the board.
Unfortunately don't know anyone in the Norwich area but keep trying as something/someone usually turns up.
NJ

duggay
13.08.2005, 10:08 PM
Welcome to the Bullpen my friend, good to have another fan onboard 8)

I'd be amazed if we make the playoffs tbh: we're playing teams that should be making a decent shot for the playoffs as well - Buffalo, Pittsburgh, Cinncinnati, Jacksonville twice, Indianapolis twice, Kansas City, Baltimore...

I still think with the problems we have at TE and the O-line, we'll struggle a bit :-\

I'd consider this season a success if:

1)Dominic Davis gets 2000 yards
2)We beat the Colts
3)We go 8-8

;D

Stormbell
17.08.2005, 08:26 PM
yeah - 8 wins would be a sucess for me too! and as for Davis, well as long as he doesnt get hurt (knocking on wood) he will have a good year, he is a very hard worker. I watched almost every game he played live when he was at LSU, he is a good guy, and a great N-S runner. He once had some fumble problems, but overcame that, and now all he has to overcome is the injuries!

I cant wait for the season. I got to go to two games last year before i moved here at Reliant - what a cool place!

The Alster
30.08.2005, 12:30 PM
8/30/05 Billy Miller TE cut
8/30/05 LaTarence Dunbar WR cut
8/30/05 Kevin Kasper WR cut
8/30/05 Kendrick Starling WR cut
8/30/05 Corey Sears DE cut
8/30/05 D.D. Acholonu LB cut
8/30/05 Quincy Monk LB cut

Probably nobody cares but Doogie, Storm Bell and I, and they probably know this anyway.

But any excuse to bump this thread onto the first page for an hour or two!

That guy will never stick with a team ::)

colts#1
05.09.2005, 08:21 AM
Do any of you guys (texans fans) what to play Fantasy Football in the AFC South Showdown? We're getting a few fans from each team to play. We're going to see who is the cream of the AFC South! ;D It's on Yahoo and the ID is 620764 and password coltsrule. If you do sign up can you say so in the thread in FF section.

Thanks and I hope you sign up (draft is tues at 7) :)

Stormbell
18.12.2005, 03:43 PM
dominck davis gametime decision...should i start him in my fantasy league? - its him or michael bennett

longeyes
18.12.2005, 03:54 PM
dominck davis gametime decision...should i start him in my fantasy league? - its him or michael bennett

I'd start Davis, even if he doesn't play he should get as many points as Bennett.

Davis will be very motivated if he plays, he is one person on the Texans roster who really doesn't want them to draft Reggie Bush.

Stormbell
18.12.2005, 03:59 PM
longeyes, that is a point i havent thought of - he will want to play and win! - haha. I think i will take my chances and leave him in! I dont think Bennett will do well splitting time and playing the Steelers D.

sparerib_xiv
24.03.2006, 06:43 AM
Let me be the third Texans fan to be brave enough to stick his head into the sunshine - especially after last season. At least we can't get any lower :-[

OK, I know 0-16 and 1-15 can happen, but Kubiak should be able to get more out of the offensive than Capers ever did. It was terrible watching Carr throwing quick hitches to Johnson last season, looked like running plays with long handoffs.

Now, what to do with that first pick? ???

sparerib_xiv
28.03.2006, 06:58 AM
I'm gonna talk to myself until someone else does so here goes it.

Is trading for Moulds a good move? Yep, take some heat away from Johnson and give Carr someone else to throw to. A fourth round pick isn't a bad swap I'd say, now need to wait and see what happens.

packer_fan84
28.03.2006, 11:00 AM
When you look at the state of the Texans offence, it would be a wise desicion to go after Moulds. Apart from Johnson, there is no-one that Carr can rely on. Moulds will give them that extra spark at reciever. He might be getting old, but at least he is reliable.

Blue_Moon
28.03.2006, 12:53 PM
When you look at the state of the Texans offence, it would be a wise desicion to go after Moulds. Apart from Johnson, there is no-one that Carr can rely on. Moulds will give them that extra spark at reciever. He might be getting old, but at least he is reliable.

what is the general opinion on Jabar Gaffney, he has always impressed me when I've seen him. With the Moulds rumours I take it Gaffney is only seen as being good enough to play #3 WR.

markyb2301
28.03.2006, 01:03 PM

what is the general opinion on Jabar Gaffney, he has always impressed me when I've seen him. With the Moulds rumours I take it Gaffney is only seen as being good enough to play #3 WR.

Gaffney has signed for the Eagles. I think with Carr, DD and AJ the Texans have a basis to work from, more protection for Carr will be a big help, as long as it still makes holes for DD

sparerib_xiv
29.03.2006, 03:58 AM
Looks like that line's gonna have to open holes for Bush too. If the Texans take him and trade for Moulds they're going to have some weapons on the O but you have to fear for Carr's wellbeing, the line still isn't good. Maybe Kubiak thinks he can do a better job of introducing Denver's zone blocking on the line than Capers did.

packers_fan29
29.03.2006, 03:07 PM
I still think it would be stupidity for the texans to take reggie bush in the draft. You have a solid RB in domanic davies, what you need as people have already said is a huge upgrade of your OL which would both help procect Carr and open holes for davies to run through. Trading away the first pick would be the way i would go.

PavlovsDog
29.03.2006, 05:51 PM
I disagree. Maybe people are overhyping Bush, but the feeling is players like this only come around once in a blue moon.

They could trade out of #1 to stockpile picks, but will that be an overnight fix? Everyone talks about the O Line, but do you really think it would be any better by starting 5 rookies there?

As I have said before (stolen from Carlson's column), the Texans have already upgraded two spots for the price of one because Flanagan upgrades center, which means Steve McKinney can move over to right guard. Remember Houston have the first pick in Round 2, so there will still be some decent O Line talent at pick 33. They also have two picks at the top of Round 3. Grabbing a starting LT in the draft that would be an improvement over Chester Pitts would also allow Pitts to move back inside to LG.

4 upgrades for the price of 2, and they get Bush as well.

duggay
29.03.2006, 05:55 PM
Firstly, there is no way we can trade out of the 1st pick seeing as the Saints have the power to trade with the signing of Brees.

I wont repeat what pauls said, but I will say the players we had last year were playing at the wrong positions. Also, Eric Winston has fallen out of the 1st round on many mock drafts, and would make an excellent LT.

WElcome tho the boards btw :)

sparerib_xiv
30.03.2006, 06:17 AM
I do think that the Texans should trade away #1 for some picks but realistically they don't want to drop out of the top four. Somehow I can't see any of the teams in 2-4 giving up enough for the Texans to take the plunge and drop down a bit. I think it's going to be Bush, him and Davis will be a good 1-2 to have and you can never have too much quality at RB.

packers_fan29
30.03.2006, 02:20 PM
granted bush and davies would be a good 1-2 pairing but unless you do something about your line in either free agency or the draft then it doesn't matter who you've got behind them!

nfljunky
30.03.2006, 02:44 PM
I said this last year and I'll say it again now (and I'll probably say it next year when the Texans screw up again) but the fastest way to make Carr's life easier is to get a quality TE who can block and catch. A QB's best friend when the OL is struggling is a guy whose routes don't take too long to develop and can catch the ball consistently over the middle. Last year they had the opportunity to pick up Heath Miller and blew it. I'm fairly certain this move alone could have saved Houston a whole host of sacks and put them in a much better position this year (although not in the draft!!).

Whilst I agree with most of what Paul32 says about the line they really need to get the LT position rectified and as there isn't any options in FA and there is a Boselli "type" player available in the draft it does seem a little strange to load up in a position where they happen to have a more than capable set of players. I also agree OL don't tend to give value quite as quickly as runners but you've got to start sometime soon before Carr is just a statistic on the injury wire.

duggay
30.03.2006, 04:11 PM
I said this last year and I'll say it again now (and I'll probably say it next year when the Texans screw up again) but the fastest way to make Carr's life easier is to get a quality TE who can block and catch.

Putzier signed a four-year contract worth almost $7.5 million, including a $1.85 million signing bonus. Putizer previously played for head coach Gary Kubiak and tight ends coach Brian Pariani in Denver, catching 73 passes over the last two seasons for 1,053 yards and two touchdowns.

One TE, as requested ;) Should be an excellent contributer right away as he'll know the offence straight off.

nfljunky
31.03.2006, 04:50 AM
Whilst Putzier is certainly an upgrade on what they had I don't think he's a Heath Miller type player. What it does mean is they won't trade down and pick up Vernon Davis. :-\
If they could get Ferguson and another pick/player out of the 1st overall I think they've done an excellent job.

sparerib_xiv
04.04.2006, 06:09 AM
Sod it, I've changed my opinion on the draft. I thought trading the pick away was the right thing to do, but after USC's pro day I've had a change of mind, let there be another Bush in Texas!!!

Victoria
11.10.2006, 01:33 PM
Hi,i'm new around here, is there a Texans thread

V.x

Arz
11.10.2006, 01:36 PM
here you go but theres not a lot of texans fans lol

http://www.nfluk.com/usersession_new.php?board=1;action=display;threadi d=8452

Reevzee
11.10.2006, 02:24 PM

V.x

A GIRL! ARE YOU FITT????????????

Dawkins#20
11.10.2006, 02:29 PM
subtle ::)
your comin on a little strong dont you think ;)

RickySanders
11.10.2006, 02:36 PM
subtle ::)
your comin on a little strong dont you think ;)

....and she is hardly going to say no!!!! ;D

Maybe it's a guy....... :P

Swift Eagle
11.10.2006, 02:37 PM

V.x

lol

smoooooooooooooth ::)

Victoria
11.10.2006, 02:40 PM

V.x

To answer your question Reevze,i go to the gym 3 times a week,Is that what you meant ;)

Victoria
11.10.2006, 02:40 PM
here you go but theres not a lot of texans fans lol

http://www.nfluk.com/usersession_new.php?board=1;action=display;threadi d=8452

Thanks

Swift Eagle
11.10.2006, 02:42 PM

V.x

To answer your question Reevze,i go to the gym 3 times a week,Is that what you meant ;)

oh snap ;D

Victoria
11.10.2006, 02:42 PM
Looks like no-one has posted on this thread for a while.

Are there any other Texans fans for me to chat to ?

RickySanders
11.10.2006, 02:43 PM

V.x

oh snap ;D

Just the 4 times for me ;)

Swift Eagle
11.10.2006, 02:43 PM

V.x

oh snap ;D

Just the 4 times for me ;)

lol.. look at him still tryin to score ;D

*big manly cough* well yeah its only the 45 times for me

:D

Victoria
11.10.2006, 02:45 PM
I'd like to go more but i just don't get the time.

Swift Eagle
11.10.2006, 02:45 PM
I'd like to go more but i just don't get the time.

funny how topics can swerve widly off-topic

;D

Victoria
11.10.2006, 02:47 PM
True,this thread is pointless now due to the fact someone found the origonal Texans thread for me.

RickySanders
11.10.2006, 02:49 PM
True,this thread is pointless now due to the fact someone found the origonal Texans thread for me.

Anyway.....welcome to the boards Victoria. Nice to have some females voice their opinions on the NFL ;)

Arz
11.10.2006, 02:50 PM

Being the Gentleman that I am ;D lol

Swift Eagle
11.10.2006, 02:52 PM
yeah welcome

dont mind Reevzee he is just a hyper-active rotweiller... (if you catch my drift *clue* leg ;D)

Victoria
11.10.2006, 02:54 PM

Anyway.....welcome to the boards Victoria. Nice to have some females voice their opinions on the NFL ;)

Thank You

I've been into the NFL due to my dad being a Packers nut ! (i do like Brett Favre though) so every sunday we were forced into watching it on telly.Gradually i got to understand it and now i really enjoy it.I followed the Texans due to them being a new team and also i like to follow the underdogs.This year looks like we are regretting not taking Bush due to the Davis injury.Not seen much of mario but i'm sure he'll be a player.

Swift Eagle
11.10.2006, 02:55 PM

Thank You

I've been into the NFL due to my dad being a Packers nut ! (i do like Brett Favre though) so every sunday we were forced inot watching it on telly.Gradually i got to understand it and now i really enjoy it.I followed the Texans due to them being a new team and also i like to follow the underdogs.This year looks like we are regretting not taking Bush due to the Davis injury.Not seen much or mario but i'm sure he'll be a player.

kudos for not supporting the colts or a glory team like that ;D

Victoria
11.10.2006, 02:57 PM
Colts,saying their name just makes me sick >:(

Arz
11.10.2006, 02:57 PM
Welcome yea passing on bush was a BIG mistake im not sold on Mario but time will tell.

I think you are one of four women on this site so feel proud ;)

RickySanders
11.10.2006, 02:58 PM

Thank You

I've been into the NFL due to my dad being a Packers nut ! (i do like Brett Favre though) so every sunday we were forced into watching it on telly.Gradually i got to understand it and now i really enjoy it.I followed the Texans due to them being a new team and also i like to follow the underdogs.This year looks like we are regretting not taking Bush due to the Davis injury.Not seen much of mario but i'm sure he'll be a player.

Not taking Bush seems like a massive mistake now, but who was to know what would happen to Davis? I think they should have taken Bush regardless, but I'm no expert!!!!! Great to find out how you actually got in to the NFL. You'll enjoy posting here, but excuse the manner of some of the 'guys' !! 8)

Victoria
11.10.2006, 03:00 PM
Welcome yea passing on bush was a BIG mistake im not sold on Mario but time will tell.

Who are the other 3 ?

RickySanders
11.10.2006, 03:00 PM
Looks like no-one has posted on this thread for a while.

Are there any other Texans fans for me to chat to ?

Not taking Bush seems like a massive mistake now, but who was to know what would happen to Davis? I think they should have taken Bush regardless, but I'm no expert!!!!! Great to find out how you actually got in to the NFL. You'll enjoy posting here, but excuse the manner of some of the 'guys' !!

PS HAVE POSTED HERE TO KEEP THIS THREAD GOING AS ITS THE ORIGINAL ;)

Victoria
11.10.2006, 03:01 PM

Thank You

Not taking Bush seems like a massive mistake now, but who was to know what would happen to Davis? I think they should have taken Bush regardless, but I'm no expert!!!!! Great to find out how you actually got in to the NFL. You'll enjoy posting here, but excuse the manner of some of the 'guys' !! 8)

I just hope to God that if Peterson drops to us we don't pass on him,although i doubt we'll be picking first looking at the raiders ;)

Victoria
11.10.2006, 03:04 PM
Thank you again.

Anybody fancy our chances at Dallas this week,uuummmm i think not :(

Jiz
11.10.2006, 03:07 PM
Thank you again.

Nope me neither im afraid.

Welcome to the boards by the way.

RickySanders
11.10.2006, 03:07 PM
Thank you again.

Being a Redskin, i've grown up to hate the Cowboys. I think they could be playoff bound this season though, if TO doesnt become to big a destraction. Hopefully he does though!!!! ;D

To answer your question in a word - No (sorry) :-\

Victoria
11.10.2006, 03:11 PM
Thank you again.

Thank you.

Is Jiz your nickname ?

PavlovsDog
11.10.2006, 03:12 PM
A sudden flurry of activity on this thread, I wonder if this would have happened if the new Texans fan was Victor and not Victoria?

Victoria
11.10.2006, 03:12 PM
Thank you again.

Being a Redskin, i've grown up to hate the Cowboys. I think they could be playoff bound this season though, if TO doesnt become to big a destraction. Hopefully he does though!!!! ;D

They could be play-off bound,even though Bledsoe is their QB !!

Swift Eagle
11.10.2006, 03:13 PM
well against the Eagles I think it was something stupid like 13 attempts at TO with only 3 catches... no wonder he got in an argument with Blesdoe...

Dallas are going to be really down after the Eagles loss as the Eagles match was so hyped up and IMO this is the Texans best chance to beat them

they could win... I mean Blesdoe especially will have lost a lot of confidence with his D what with the amount of sacks at the Eagles ;D

Victoria
11.10.2006, 03:13 PM
A sudden flurry of activity on this thread, I wonder if this would have happened if the new Texans fan was Victor and not Victoria?

I'm sure the novelty will wear off soon.

Jiz
11.10.2006, 03:14 PM
Thank you again.

Thank you.

Is Jiz your nickname ?

No its not my nickname, Its my favorite drink ;)

RickySanders
11.10.2006, 03:14 PM

LOL! ;D ;D ;D

Victoria
11.10.2006, 03:15 PM
Thank you again.

Thank you.

Is Jiz your nickname ?

Me too :-*

RickySanders
Thank you again.

They could be play-off bound,even though Bledsoe is their QB !!

...or Drew 'Dead-Slow' as he is also known! ;)

Arz

Who are the other 3 ?

there is Gemma shes a Titans fan ::)
Molly shes a Giant fan
and I am not quite sure if there are any others lol thats why you got the reaction from Reevzee lol

Reevzee
11.10.2006, 03:16 PM
With all due respect, welcome to the forums Victoria, good to have you on board!

RickySanders
11.10.2006, 03:16 PM
Thank you again.

Thank you.

Is Jiz your nickname ?

Good god! :-X

PavlovsDog
11.10.2006, 03:17 PM
Colts,saying their name just makes me sick >:(

I like you already.

Dawkins#20
11.10.2006, 03:23 PM
Thank you again.

Thank you.

Is Jiz your nickname ?

Good god! :-X

rofl i think jiz is in love

Arz
11.10.2006, 03:26 PM
Wow Matchmaking on a football board what next ::) ::) ;D

Cookie Monster
11.10.2006, 03:28 PM
Victoria sounds like my old GF lol

RickySanders
11.10.2006, 03:29 PM

Do you mean very knowledgable when it comes to NFL ? ::)

Jiz
11.10.2006, 03:29 PM

Funny because she also took an interest in me. ;)

Cdaewa
11.10.2006, 03:30 PM
???

Blimey, I look away from my computer for a couple of hours and this whole place goes a bit mental.

As for your chances against the Cowboys, I've (provisionally) pencilled in Bledsoe as my fantasy QB this week, which should give you some clue as to what I think about your chances.

The Bush pick (or lack of it) was a stupid decision. Unless I'm missing something, if they really have that much faith in Davis they could at least have traded away the #1 pick for something better than Williams (no offence to him, I'm sure he's a perfectly good linesman, but he's not going to put bums on seats is he?)

Swift Eagle
11.10.2006, 03:30 PM

giant monkeys who can sing "dont cry for me argentina"

Arz
11.10.2006, 03:31 PM
I was maybe gonna risk Texans D ???

RickySanders
11.10.2006, 03:32 PM

Surely not :P

Arz
11.10.2006, 03:32 PM

giant monkeys who can sing "dont cry for me argentina"

Lmao I would pay to see that

Cookie Monster
11.10.2006, 03:33 PM

Funny because she also took an interest in me. ;)

Used goods ;D

Dawkins#20
11.10.2006, 03:33 PM

pfttt we all know thats an urban legend

Victoria
11.10.2006, 03:34 PM
???

Blimey, I look away from my computer for a couple of hours and this whole place goes a bit mental.

As for your chances against the Cowboys, I've (provisionally) pencilled in Bledsoe as my fantasy QB this week, which should give you some clue as to what I think about your chances.

The Bush pick (or lack of it) was a stupid decision. Unless I'm missing something, if they really have that much faith in Davis they could at least have traded away the #1 pick for something better than Williams (no offence to him, I'm sure he's a perfectly good linesman, but he's not going to put bums on seats is he?)

Did you not see him against the eagles,i've got Pennington in this week,although McNabbs a close second

Arz
11.10.2006, 03:35 PM

Well after how badly the Eagals Owned them I might just might take a risk on them

RickySanders
11.10.2006, 03:36 PM
???

Did you not see him against the eagles,i've got Pennington in this week,although McNabbs a close second

Pennington is a good shout, think i've got Bledsoe too though

Arz
???

But then again did you see him we Owned him

Steed05
???

I would take McNabb over Pennington in a heartbeat, the Jets sucked last week, even against a tough D. McNabb is on fire.

Victoria
11.10.2006, 03:37 PM
The Jags D though is far better then the Dolphins D

Arz
11.10.2006, 03:38 PM
The Jags D though is far better then the Dolphins D

As your a lady I let you in on some thing Jags are on a bye week ;D

Swift Eagle
11.10.2006, 03:40 PM
of course Nabbs on fire, hes throwing the best ive ever seen 354 yds in the Cowboys game

Victoria
11.10.2006, 03:40 PM
What i meant is that the Jets play the Dolphins this week,which is why i think pennington may have a good game

Arz
11.10.2006, 03:41 PM
Ahhhh im with you Im a very slow person to get things lol

Victoria
11.10.2006, 03:44 PM
Ahhhh im with you Im a very slow person to get things lol

I'm sure your faster at other things !!

nfljunky
11.10.2006, 03:45 PM
Typical, I commit two hours of research and about 2000 words to a break-down of Mario Williams first game performance and get about 2 responses (.....and one of those couldn't read well and was keen to understand why Ricky was playing DL now).

Jiz starts flirting a la Boy George and NFLUK need to bring an extra server online.

Why do I ******* bother ;)

RickySanders
11.10.2006, 03:46 PM
Typical, I commit two hours of research and about 2000 words to a break-down of Mario Williams first game performance and get about 2 responses (.....and one of those couldn't read well and was keen to understand why Ricky was playing DL now).

Jiz starts flirting a la Boy George and NFLUK need to bring an extra server online.

Why do I f**king bother ;)

ROFL! Love it ;D

Dawkins#20
11.10.2006, 03:46 PM

just change your profile so you look like a chick no 1 would realise ;)

Victoria
11.10.2006, 03:47 PM

I'd love to read that,is it on this thread ?

Dawkins#20
11.10.2006, 03:48 PM
lol watch the mad race as every 1 backtracks through the forums 2 find it now ;D

Jiz
11.10.2006, 03:53 PM
Victoria I do suggest reading Junkys post about Mario Williams it is a great cure for insomnia ;)

nfljunky
11.10.2006, 03:56 PM
I lied....I didn't get any responses...... :-[

http://www.nfluk.com/usersession_new.php?board=1;action=display;threadi d=20606;start=msg498188#msg498188

Victoria
11.10.2006, 03:56 PM
Victoria I do suggest reading Junkys post about Mario Williams it is a great cure for insomnia ;)

Sorry don't have trouble sleeping,but i'll read it anyway

Dawkins#20
11.10.2006, 03:59 PM

http://www.nfluk.com/usersession_new.php?board=1;action=display;threadi d=20606;start=msg498188#msg498188

if its any consolidation i read it first time you posted it and thought it was good. i was just to lazy or busy to reply i guess

Victoria
11.10.2006, 04:02 PM

Thanks for that,nice read.

Will be interesting to see his stats at the end of the Year or maybe 2 years.I never thought he was going make an impact straight away TBH,not unlike Bush would ahve done.He'll get better with time,i hope !!

nfljunky
11.10.2006, 04:05 PM
Thanks for your kind words ....the PR is all good.... In light of my articles new lease on life I may well write "Dull Stuff 2 - Mario goes to Indy" tonight. I did the research but haven't done the write up.

Jiz
11.10.2006, 04:08 PM
Thanks for your kind words ....the PR is all good.... In light of my articles new lease on life I may well write "Dull Stuff 2 - Mario goes to Indy" tonight. I did the research but haven't done the write up.

Please do Valium tablets cost a fortune around our way and it would be good to have an alternative. ;)

nfljunky
11.10.2006, 04:12 PM

Will be interesting to see his stats at the end of the Year or maybe 2 years.I never thought he was going make an impact straight away TBH,not unlike Bush would ahve done.He'll get better with time,i hope !!

The problem is he just doesn't look natural, plays upright and stiff and has real difficulty locating the ball. He moves like his size would suggest; slowly.

He was certainly better against Indy.... I'll try and finish my write up .....but nothing special. If he was the Texans 6th round draft pick you'd hardly be surprised after seeing the Colts game.

As someone who doesn't watch NCAA, on what I'd heard, I thought the Texans had made a good move. On that basis alone I pray he improves :-[

Victoria
11.10.2006, 04:18 PM

The problem is he just doesn't look natural, plays upright and stiff and has real difficulty locating the ball. He moves like his size would suggest; slowly.

He was certainly better against Indy.... I'll try and finish my write up .....but nothing special. If he was the Texans 6th round draft pick you'd hardly be surprised after seeing the Colts game.

As someone who doesn't watch NCAA, on what I'd heard, I thought the Texans had made a good move. On that basis alone I pray he improves :-[

Sorry that bit make me chuckle.

I'll watch out for that the next time i see him play,TBH i haven't seen much of his play as the Texans are very rarely on the telly,how do you see so much of him ?

Cookie Monster
11.10.2006, 04:18 PM

He was already very raw but is a freakish athlete rather than a particularly productive and consistent college player

Victoria
17.10.2006, 09:10 AM
Really not please with the way we played in the 2nd half on Sunday,we really did not come out to play at all.

Even worse is that 3 starters got injured and the Loss of Seth Payne is very big.

RickySanders
17.10.2006, 09:34 AM
Really not please with the way we played in the 2nd half on Sunday,we really did not come out to play at all.

I know how u feel Victoria, so so depressing. :(

Touchdown-Dance
13.01.2007, 08:33 PM
Hi I'm new to the boards and a massie Texan fan
Started to like the NFL about 2 seasons a go
David Carr needs some protection although the Texans D line have improved this year.

9-8 for next year

duggay
16.01.2007, 07:21 PM
Hi I'm new to the boards and a massie Texan fan
Started to like the NFL about 2 seasons a go
David Carr needs some protection although the Texans D line have improved this year.

9-8 for next year

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY ;D

We'll get there, but 9-7 :) would be nice for us.

Arz
16.01.2007, 07:23 PM
Doogsta you must get bored being the only Texan on here lol

duggay
16.01.2007, 08:10 PM
Doogsta you must get bored being the only Texan on here lol

Never! ;)

http://www.sportsargumentwiki.com/images/1/17/Texhurr.gif

Arz
16.01.2007, 08:24 PM
lol :D you meet so many new Texans its unbelivable ey lol

toro
03.02.2007, 12:25 PM
Hello All

I know there aren't that many Texans fans here - but there will be. As the team starts to improve we'll add a few - probably not as many as the Pats have!

Anyway in anticipation of the deluge of new Texans fans over the next few years I gave set up a UK Texans fans site:

http://houstontexansuk.proboards60.com

It still a work in progress - and I'd be surprised if any more than a dozen people joined.

Go Texans

Captain Fear
11.03.2007, 04:02 PM
news on Texans and the draft!

Texans | Team won't trade up for Quinn
Sun, 11 Mar 2007 06:52:26 -0800

John McClain, of the Houston Chronicle, reports the Houston Texans will not trade up from the No. 8 spot to select Notre Dame QB Brady Quinn in the NFL Draft. If Quinn were still available when the team selects they likely would not pass Quinn up, however. Team officials insist they are trying to acquire draft picks and not surrender them.

Touchdown-Dance
11.03.2007, 06:43 PM
He is not the only Texans here that is an insult (joke)
Hope we can get Brady Quinn in the draft fingers crossed
Our franchise will take off then

andy82
11.03.2007, 06:48 PM

So not having an O-line isn't an issue then?

Jay Jenkins
11.03.2007, 08:45 PM
I like the old Texans i hope they get an o-line for carr instead if leaving him out to dry

toro
12.03.2007, 07:14 AM

Carr was rated higher coming out of college, we need an oline more, Carr will have another year whether we like it not.

I would rather us take Landry at 8 as that would go part way of solving our Safety problem. Earl is ok but CC Brown was awful last year.

Philos
13.03.2007, 07:33 PM
hi guys, i was just wondering what battle red day was? thanks

toro
13.03.2007, 09:47 PM
they haven't announced which games will be battle red. The last couple of years its been the games against the Titans and Jags.

toro
17.03.2007, 10:06 AM
Texans have re-signed Ron Daye

March 16, 2007, 10:15PM
RB Dayne will be back with Texans this fall

By MEGAN MANFULL
Copyright 2007 Houston Chronicle

Running back Ron Dayne agreed to a new contract with the Texans on Friday.

He will return for his second season with the Texans as a situational back. Newly acquired free agent Ahman Green is slated to be the starter.

Dayne, 29, started six games for the Texans last season and finished with 612 rushing yards and five touchdowns.

Philos
17.03.2007, 01:02 PM
what i meant about battle red day, was how did it start? thanks

toro
17.03.2007, 01:17 PM
not 100% sure, possibily because its sounds cool. They all also had a liberty white day.

When the franchise was announced and the colours unvieled they named them: Steel Blue, Liberty White, and Battle Red (all colours of the Texas flag).

Touchdown-Dance
18.03.2007, 04:21 PM
Battle Red day is when the playes and the fans wear the raed alternate jersey. It's ausome really. We do it most against the Jags

Touchdown-Dance
19.03.2007, 04:36 PM
Just got a new Mario Williams shirt
+ a new Demeco Ryans shirt
OVER THE MOON

toro
23.03.2007, 05:44 PM
Thoughts on the Schaub trade then guys

I have collated a few articles from the website, NFL.com and the Chron here:

http://houstontexansuk.proboards60.com/index.cgi?board=texansarticles

Touchdown-Dance
23.03.2007, 09:07 PM
Schuaub trde was good for us and the Falcons
David Carr cut hope for Brady Quinn fellas

falcon_91
23.03.2007, 10:55 PM

wait so you give up a fair bit for Schaub but still want to draft a future franchise QB?

Reevzee
24.03.2007, 12:11 AM
http://images.nfl.com/photos/img10082553.jpg

Great trade! Carr can go and play baseball....more money there!

toro
24.03.2007, 11:26 AM

there'll be no QB drafted now, Schaub is only 26 so they see him as the QB of the future.
Not only that we dont have a shot at Quinn now we have dropped to number 10 spot.

iapetus
24.03.2007, 02:52 PM
Battle Red day is when the playes and the fans wear the raed alternate jersey. It's ausome really. We do it most against the Jags

It's the one day you can almost be guaranteed a win. :(

Touchdown-Dance
29.05.2007, 06:46 PM
8) Why do you think we have battle red day against the jags

PavlovsDog
29.05.2007, 06:50 PM
http://images.nfl.com/photos/img10082553.jpg

Great trade! Carr can go and play baseball....more money there!

WTF?

Touchdown-Dance
30.05.2007, 06:56 PM
Schaub :-\
Could have gone for Brady Quinn in the draft :'(
Ah well the highs and lows of supporing the Texans ;D
Gotta Love 'Em

Touchdown-Dance
30.05.2007, 07:19 PM
http://www.prosportspictures.com/images/houston-texans/04-andre-johnson-action-3.jpg

First time using links
Oh yeah Andre Best player in Texans hisory

SteButt
30.05.2007, 09:25 PM
Gotta Love 'Em

And the highs would be? ;)

curiousgeorge
30.05.2007, 09:46 PM
Gotta Love 'Em

And the highs would be? ;)

drafting regg... oh wait

:D

Touchdown-Dance
31.05.2007, 08:13 PM
Highs
.................................Beating the Colts ? ;D
And ymmmmmm........................................... ...........................
hehe :P;)

toro
08.06.2007, 03:02 PM
you forgot about the first ever game the Texans played beating Dallas. And a year later winning in Miami on opening day. First ever expansion team to win their first 2 season openers.

mattieuk
06.07.2007, 03:24 PM
Gotta Love 'Em

The day Carr was shipped out, the end of Capers and Casserly, and ever round of last years draft (other than the first). No one ever mentions the signings of Daniels and to a degree DeMeco, and instead just focuses on Reggie Bush and Vince 'Vick Mark 2' Young.

iapetus
06.07.2007, 03:33 PM
Keeping Jacksonville out of the playoffs by sweeping them. Again.

:'(

mattieuk
07.07.2007, 10:24 PM
Hey! The Jags are the only guarenteed two wins we're getting next year! We can't beat the 'wonderful' VY and the Titans (otherwise the press will only be able to slag us off when we lose to the Saints!), and we've had our moment of glory against the Colts! You guys will have to do again ;)

iapetus
08.07.2007, 01:16 AM
Hey! The Jags are the only guarenteed two wins we're getting next year! We can't beat the 'wonderful' VY and the Titans (otherwise the press will only be able to slag us off when we lose to the Saints!), and we've had our moment of glory against the Colts! You guys will have to do again ;)

This is the year it all changes. Jaguars sweep the Texans, Texans end up with a winning season. ;D

Touchdown-Dance
29.07.2007, 06:21 PM
Iapetus
Texans winning season maybe. If were lucky.
But....Jaguars beat the Texans ;D gotta be joking

iapetus
16.08.2007, 04:10 PM
Since I'm sure you guys don't read the Jaguars team site as often as you really ought to, allow me to bring you this snippet from today's Ask Vic column:

Bill from Jacksonville: I thought it would be a good waste of time to come up with something nice to say about each of our divisional opponents, so here goes: Colts have nice uniforms. I like the helmet with the horseshoes and those jerseys with the Jaguars runners’ cleat marks. Texans, being an expansion team, they're really easy to beat. Oh, wait. Finally, something about the Titans. Nah, this was a stupid idea.

Vic: Let me say something about one of the Jaguars’ divisional opponents: Keep an eye on the Texans. I watched their game against Chicago and the Texans really ran to the ball and hit the Bears. I was real impressed, so I asked myself, who do they have on defense? Dunta Robinson, Mario Williams, DeMeco Ryans, Omobi Okoye. Hmmm, if Matt Schaub turns out to be the real deal, these guys could move up faster than expected.

Thought you might appreciate it. ;)

ragingbulls
19.08.2007, 09:52 AM
thanks appreciate the love from the jags.

bradster592
22.08.2007, 10:10 PM
We're going to improve greatly this year - I can feel it!

phr102
23.08.2007, 09:24 AM
Time for your D to step up and play like the top-end unit that they are on paper. Hows Obi looking out of camp, worth the high pick yet!?

bradster592
25.08.2007, 09:20 PM
So far, so good. It's all optimistic at this stage. Schaub looks like the real deal and the rookies should come through the pre-season well.

The D have come on well and look a more cohesive unit than at this point last season.

Please God, let this be the year - let the pain end.

ThaiTexan
10.09.2007, 10:48 AM
Come on Texans where are you?

We won our first game of the season and seem to have played very well.

duggay
10.09.2007, 11:31 AM
Have no fear kids, the original is here 8)

Let's not hang out the banners yet, KC had a horrible first game and if LJ was healthy the scoreline would have been closer. But still - Schaub is excellent and a marked improvement on Carr although pass protection is still a problem. I'm also glad Mario had a great game, he showed a lot more after that TD, clearly he just needs confidence and a wee bit more training before becoming more dominant

ThaiTexan
10.09.2007, 12:01 PM
I know the Panthers will be a lot hard game for the Texans but I am going to enjoy this week, we won and we bossed the Chiefs very well only allowing them 3 points.

bradster592
11.09.2007, 02:38 PM
A good start, my friends!

Schaub appears to be an upgrade, Super-Mario finally had the sort of game he was drafted to have and AJ played well. Strong D too. :)

But.....our now-customary poor O Line play led to more dreadful pass-protection. >:(

It's not too late for a player pick-up to help bolster the O Line, but who would be available/willing? Still, the Houston sites are urging patience, which seems fair to me.

I honestly think that 8-8 is possible, barring injuries.

As an aside, I don't suppose C5 are scheduled to show a Texans game this season?

IndyUK
11.09.2007, 03:23 PM
Well I am actually worried about you guys this season as an opponent, at last the Texans look like a real football team and not just whipping boys of the AFC South.

Schaub is the real deal and I think with Andre Johnson he has a genuine no1 receiver, a future pro bowl parnership in the offing I think.

I also really like the look of Jacoby Jones, this guy is going to be a star of the future!

Holywood
11.09.2007, 03:44 PM
I think the AFC south is going to be one of the toughest divisions this year. I think it will end up.

Indy - 12-4
Titans - 10-6
Texans - 8-8
Jags - 7-9

Someone will call those crap predictions, but we shall see.

ThaiTexan
16.09.2007, 09:43 PM
2 Games 2 Wins bring on the Colts. OK maybe not :-X

But still a great start to the season. ;D