PDA

View Full Version : Final Cuts

steblin
05.09.2009, 09:17 PM
So - so far we know Colt is going on to IR with an apparent torn hammy and hip trouble. Also interview with Chase on the Redskins blog sounds like he has been told he will be going to the practice squad.

Latest rumour from Washington Post is that Mason has made it to the final 53:
http://blog.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/

steblin
05.09.2009, 10:04 PM
Here's the cuts, and full article from the Redskins blog:

"In addition to moving Colt Brennan to injured reserve, here are the other 21 players the Redskins have released to get the roster down to the league-mandated 53.

* TE Robbie Agnone
* RB Anthony Alridge
* G/T Jeremy Bridges
* T Scott Burley
* DE Alex Buzbee
* QB Chase Daniel
* DT Antonio Dixon
* RB Dominique Dorsey
* CB Doug Dutch
* WR Keith Eloi
* LB Cody Glenn
* WR D.J. Hackett
* S Lendy Holmes
* DE Rob Jackson
* K Dave Rayner
* G Rueben Riley
* WR Trent Shelton
* DL J.D. Skolnitsky
* LB Robert Thomas
* FB Eddie Williams
* LB Darrel Young

Some of these players might be brought back to the practice squad tomorrow if they clear waivers; I'll update with that tomorrow, of course.

Of note:

This means that the third time was the charm for Marcus Mason, now the fourth running back on your Washington Redskins. Guess not playing in the Jaguars game was a good thing.

It's official: Marko Mitchell is your fifth wide receiver.

Shaun Suisham returns as kicker, meaning that you may not have seen the last of Shaun Suisham's Happy Ice Tub Funtime.

The most surprising name on the list to me is Jeremy Bridges, and the most surprising name implied by the list -- albeit exciting to me -- is C/G Edwin Williams making the roster. Local kid makes good.

The biggest casualty of the cuts is the Redskins Twitter presence -- @ChaseDaniel, @KEloi16, and @TrentShelton, gone in one swell foop. Daniel earlier said that he expects to be back on the practice squad, which would help improve things; it remains to be seen if either of the other two sticks around as well."

steblin
05.09.2009, 10:23 PM
Observations:

> Glad to see the Mike Williams story continues!

> Mitchell well deserving the 5th WR spot

> Happy Mason made the team, but not too sure what use he's going to be if he's stashed behind Betts - really expected a true change of pace back.

> Kind of dissapointed to see a 5th round pick from this year, Glenn, get cut, guessing PS though

> Shame Dixon didn't make the team after his strong showing, but we are deep at D-Line, hopefully another stash on PS

> Jarmon obviously impressing enough to make the cut ties with Rob Jackson

It'll be better to see how things look when we see the 53 man squad listing released, always easier to talk about the people left than the people gone! :)

badkarma
05.09.2009, 10:31 PM
From a purely selfish perspective on these cuts, I have a full size Skins replica helmet that was passed round the locker room for autographing last summer, and I've lost 1 player who's on it in Alex Buzbee. However I've gained Marcus Mason who signed it but wasn't on the team last year.
So I can't complain too much :)

Gman84
06.09.2009, 04:46 PM
The final 53 looks like this then:

QB: Jason Campbell, Todd Collins

Colt Brennan to IR and Chase Daniel waived so only two QB's kept.

RB/FB: Clinton Portis, Ladell Betts, Rock Cartwright, Marcus Mason, Mike Sellers

Nice to see Mason make it but I suspect he's one of the first names on the inactive list each week unless he shows in practice he can contribute on teams. 6th rounder Ed Williams maybe a candidate for the PS.

WR: Santana Moss, Antwaan Randle El, Malcolm Kelly, Devin Thomas, Marko Mitchell

Nice to see the late round rookie make it, he's been impressive in pre-season although some mistakes in his game came to light too. However, as a 5th receiver, I'm glad the team went with his potential over DJ Hackett's.

TE: Chris Cooley, Todd Yoder, Fred Davis

No surprises here.

OL: Chris Samuels, Derrick Dockery, Casey Rabach, Randy Thomas, Stephon Heyer, Mike Williams, Chad Rinehart, D'Anthony Batiste, Will Montgomery, Edwin Williams.

Jeremy Bridges was the 'Shock' cut here, the 'Skins opting to go with potential of young players like Williams, Batiste and Montgomery whilst also electing to justify the additon on Mike Williams, who looked to me like he could do with another year to adjust to the changes his body has made and the battering it has taken after a few years away. If the guy has to play, I'd be really worried.

DL: Phillip Daniels, Cornelius Griffin, Albert Haynesworth, Andre Carter, Renaldo Wynn, Anthony Montgomery, Kedric Golston, Lorenzo Alexander, Jeremy Jarmon

The late adddition of Jarmon squeezed the numbers a bit here and he may well spend a lot of the year inactive and using practice to learn the ropes. Otherwise, it's as expected really. The player I think could take a big step forward this year is Lorenzo Alexander who will take over from Demetric Evans in the swing role.

LB's: Brian Orakpo, London Fletcher, Rocky McIntosh, HB Blades, Chris Wilson, Robert Henson

5th round pick Cody Glenn failed to make it but with his late college switch from RB he was always a development project anyway and another silly Cerrato choice. I suspect he gets to the PS though. Veteran Robert Thomas was beaten out by rookie Robert Henson who could be a special teams star, Both Orakpo and Wilson can also put their hands on the dirt.

CB's: Carlos Rogers, DeAngelo Hall, Fred Smoot, Kevin Barnes, Justin Tryon, Bryan Westbrook.

Six been kept is a slight shock, Rogers calf injury may play a part in that thinking as is the fact Kevin barnes looked bloody awful in pre-season and may need some time. Tryon looks to have made some strides and after three years of trying, Brian's little bro makes the roster.

S's: Laron Landry, Chris Horton, Kareem Moore, Reed Doughty

As expected here.

K: Shaun Suisham
P: Hunter Smith
LS: Ethan Albright

Suisham won the competition with Dave Raymer but I suspect the leash is short, however, maybe the competition will have proved helpful.

JD for breakfast
06.09.2009, 05:46 PM
What's important to think about here is whent looking at the final roster as a whole, have we improved on last year's squad? On paper at least, I think we have. The main area of concern for me (and I know I'm not alone here) is the O-line. Although we've got younger there, I don't think we're necessarily better. It still looks very thin and if Samuels breaks down again, I think we're screwed because that would mean Heyer moving to LT and we'd have to throw Mike Williams into the trenches and I just don't think he's ready

Riggo
06.09.2009, 07:31 PM
10 DB's is too many, 6 LBs is not enough

Mike Williams played in 1? preseason game and his ass handed to him.

Several teams did the two QB thing, it shouldn't be big deal grab some veteran anytime you need one this season.

I think more teams should think about doing that...sort of like a shared pools of vet qbs.

Spartan Off.Tackle
06.09.2009, 09:07 PM
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2009/jun/28/a-weighty-matter/

Interesting read about Mr Williams (from June)

steblin
06.09.2009, 10:08 PM
Antonio Dixon has been picked up off waivers by the Eagles, gutted we weren't able to stash him on the PS and get another look at him next off season.

steblin
06.09.2009, 10:13 PM
Also, 5 players signed to the PS so far:

Lendy Holmes S Undrafted Rookie
Rob Jackson DE 2008 7th-round Draft Pick
Trent Shelton WR First-year Player
J.D. Skolnitsky DE Undrafted Rookie
Eddie Williams FB 2009 7th-round Draft Pick

Note there is no Chase Daniels, he has been claimed off waivers by the Saints

JoeTerp
07.09.2009, 05:21 AM
no Chase Daniel either :D