PDA

View Full Version : The Redskins Thread

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27

CrazyLikeAFox87
15.03.2005, 04:46 PM
It's about time we had our own thread especially with the draft approaching!

A quiet off season so far, but hopefully looking up if we can sign Courtney Brown.

Crackity-Jones
15.03.2005, 05:10 PM
http://www.123imagehost.com/uploads/100-671-sux_skins.gif

Stockers
15.03.2005, 05:12 PM
You've got one way back, go search for it!

CrazyLikeAFox87
15.03.2005, 05:20 PM
It wasn't on the team and divisional links. This one is now - nice work. Guess this'll have to be the official Redskins thread now.

And....thanks for that CJ. As intelligent and well thought out as ever! :P

Culpepper2Moss
15.03.2005, 05:29 PM
So this is the place to come to hear about one of the corners in the league, the one and only Fred Smoooooooo.......Oh wait a minute ;D

Valour
15.03.2005, 06:06 PM
http://www.123imagehost.com/uploads/235-633-bash_skins.gif

THEDRIVE87
15.03.2005, 06:16 PM
Whats happening with the QB situation in Washington?

PaddyRamsey
15.03.2005, 06:17 PM
Whats happening with the QB situation in Washington?

We all want Ramsey to start, and it's almost certain he will. Gibbs has said he will have to win the position, but it isn't going to be very difficult. Ramsey has a bright future and can take us places.

THEDRIVE87
15.03.2005, 06:28 PM
Ok but what about Brunell, did you guys not give him a big salary?

imported_Chicago
15.03.2005, 06:35 PM
It´s so easy. Fix the O-Line, with Jansen coming back from injury and Casey Raubach as the new and better center, not impossible. Ramsey has one more year under Coach Gibbs and the new RECs will hopefully separate from their defenders, run after catch. Is Coles a loss? The same guy who went from a potential #1 probowler to a gimp who couldn't get off the line of scrimmage nor gain seperation from inferior corners?

The defense. OK we lost Smoot and Pierce. Pierce is a great story, I agree, but not enough to be held ransom by his contract demands. He wanted to paid like Marcus Washington... and fortunately the team balked because he's NO MARCUS WASHINGTON.

Smoot? Are we talking about the same guy who's consistently missed tackles and been neutralized in the blitz packages? A guy who declared he'd get his money back that he felt slighted when he went in the 2nd round a few years ago? A guy who isn't beyond getting beat by marginal receivers like A. Bryant, J. Galloway, and Steve Smith? A guy who's got only marginal hands and drops as many INTs as he catches?

Both will be replaced. Instead of Pierce we will see barrow, Marshall and Smith and Harris and Wilds or Rolle will do good as CB.

The result of the 2005 season: 8-9 wins, an improvement and with a little bit of luck, I smell wild card. 8)

For the true Redskin every new morning marks a new beginning and a new hope.

For our beloved cowgirls in this forum watch your beautiful cheerleaders:

http://www.dallassucks.com/images/DALLAS-QUEERS.jpg

CrazyLikeAFox87
15.03.2005, 07:47 PM
Brunell! >:(

Biggest mistake in the whole of FA last year and his contract is too big to cut him for a year or two.

I was very disappointed with how it turned out. Some people seemed to know he was past it - I would have expected JG to be one of them. Gibbs is trying to insist that Brunell still has a role to play but that's just trying to hide the biggest mistake of his career.

Culpepper2Moss
15.03.2005, 08:39 PM
Smoot? Are we talking about the same guy who's consistently missed tackles and been neutralized in the blitz packages? A guy who declared he'd get his money back that he felt slighted when he went in the 2nd round a few years ago? A guy who isn't beyond getting beat by marginal receivers like A. Bryant, J. Galloway, and Steve Smith? A guy who's got only marginal hands and drops as many INTs as he catches?

WOW :o He's going to fit in better in Minnesota than I'd thought ;D

Revenge of Rypien
15.03.2005, 08:47 PM
There's no point pretending Fred Smoot isn't a quality corner. There's also no point pretending to have faith that Mike Barrow will come back and be the player we (over)paid for.

There are, however, reasons to be cheerful. Firstly, it's not as if Smoooooot was our only decent CB - Shawn Springs outplayed him for large chunks of last year and the presence of Sean Taylor means our secondary is still for real. Secondly, Jansen's return (fingers crossed) and Rabach's signing are good news for what was the weakest point of our team last year. Raymer is a mare and if Ray Brown ever could play right tackle he sure as anything can't anymore.

Dependent on how the draft goes, this is shaping up to have been a decent off-season in Landover.

The success of Lemar Marshall in replacing Pierce and Walt Harris (or rookie to be determined) in replecing Fred could be the factors which determine our 05/06 season, although Ramsey, Portis and Santana have to come out to play as well.

imported_Chicago
15.03.2005, 09:26 PM
@Crazy87
"Gibbs is trying to insist that Brunell still has a role to play but that's just trying to hide the biggest mistake of his career."

Normally everybody is much smarter after coming out of the church.

@Ban Him Again
He is good but not the second coming of Sanders, Bailey, whom we replaced properly with Springs or Darrel Green. But he will help the Vikings defense, that´s for sure. But than, who won´t. ;D

@Sultan of Brunell
Maybe I judge Smoot a little bit more realistic than you and maybe the reason why is that I follow the Skins for 22 years and have some football knowlege. Barrow when healthy is a plus but you´re right it´s a great if.

Hail and praise to the Redskins

lefty
15.03.2005, 09:31 PM
i have to say i'm quietly pleased with how the off season went. rabach is a great pick up, for us and its good to see we are not throwing money around at high priced OAP vets to much. (stand up cowboys)

wished we had kept hold of pierce and smoot but you have to like the way the FO handled it. Smoot wasnt our no1 corner (and i was his biggest fan) and pierce isn't marcus washington. not breaking the bank and adding to our alleged impending cap doom is smart.

as for coles, actually no i'm not going to comment on that money grabbing piece of s**t. love what moss has said cant wait to see him tearing up the sidelines. and besides the smurfs are without doubt the coolest name for a bunch of wideouts ever so roll on the smurfs 2!!!

hearing we been talking to courtney brown. have to say i'm all for this depending on what money he is talking. i know he has underachieved (so did griffin) and i know he had injuries (so had springs) so if he anything like them go ghet the kid. gregg williams would be the perfect DC to get him playing to potential!!

so who you guys think we should look out for next year?? garnell wilds looked like he had alot of potential at the end of last year and i really think cooley has the potential to go to the pro bowl in the not to distant future

oh and check out this link, vinny ceratto talking on extreme skins quite interesting and he talks alot of sense

http://www.extremeskins.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=95595

CrazyLikeAFox87
16.03.2005, 12:11 AM
Just read on thehogs.net that Todd Franz has left - been signed by the packers.

RickySanders
16.03.2005, 09:39 AM
Just read on thehogs.net that Todd Franz has left - been signed by the packers.

Depth of our DB's has been hit again. Looking increasingly likely we'lll pick up a CB in the draft.

PaddyRamsey
16.03.2005, 09:52 PM
Looks like Gibbs is taking the intelligent approach to the Brown situation, he's quoted as saying -

"Here's what it's going to come down to: He's been on IR every year. He's a terrific player. It's going to come down to how much money, and what does the doctor say."

Couldn't have put it much better myself.

RickySanders
17.03.2005, 10:54 AM
This adds depth to our secondary after releasing Todd Franz

The Redskins completed the signing of veteran safety Pierson Prioleau on Wednesday. Prioleau is a smart and experienced player who will add depth to the Redskins secondary and also play on special teams units.
Prioleau, 5-11 and 188 pounds, is a six-year NFL veteran. He has appeared in 80 games with 38 starts and has amassed 276 tackles (195 solo) with 2.5 sacks and an interception.

He was drafted by the San Francisco 49ers in the fourth round (110th overall) of the 1999 NFL Draft. He appeared in 28 games with 11 starts in his first two seasons with the Niners and amassed 86 tackles and one interception.

Prioleau was released during the 2001 preseason and signed by the Buffalo Bills in November 2001. During his three seasons with the Bills, he tallied 190 tackles (122 solo) while appearing in 54 games with 26 starts.

During his time in Buffalo, he played for Redskins assistant head coach-defense Gregg Williams and safeties coach Steve Jackson.

Prioleau played college football at Virginia Tech where he earned first-team All-Big East and third-team All-America honors as a senior. He finished his final season with 61 tackles (41 solo) and two interceptions, starting every game for a Hokies' defense that led the Big East with 12.9 points per game allowed.

PaddyRamsey
17.03.2005, 06:24 PM
Said in the individual thread that I'm a fan of Prioleau, he'll ad valuable depth.

CrazyLikeAFox87
17.03.2005, 11:14 PM
He's also Courtney Brown's cousin....

RickySanders
18.03.2005, 10:13 AM
What is the situation with the possible signing of Courtney Brown?

PaddyRamsey
18.03.2005, 12:16 PM
Our meeting with him went really well apparently. Fortunately Gibbs doesn't seem to want to dive straight in and get his name down on a contract as soon as possible. He's being very logical about it and I suppose he'll be spending the forthcoming time discussing whether we really want to take this risk or not. I'd guess that by the positiveness coming from him, Brown is probably willing to accept less cash.

CrazyLikeAFox87
22.03.2005, 04:10 PM
Brown's obviously keeping his options open by visiting the Jags and is also due to visit the seahawks I think. Both these teams are waaaay under the cap so could afford more guaranteed money but is he worth that kind of risk. We can't afford the gamble....can they?

PaddyRamsey
22.03.2005, 06:25 PM
Just look at his record of seasons in the NFL/seasons on IR.

Way too big a risk for any team if you ask me.

Revenge of Rypien
22.03.2005, 07:39 PM
Right, this is my first in a series of post scouting people who are likely to be in contention when the Redskins are on the clock at #9 in the NFL Draft. I am doing this because I am a bit sad; a fact I wholly recognise :)

No.1: Carlos Rogers, CB, Auburn

http://www.auburntigers.com/emplibrary/RogersCarlos_072004.jpghttp://www.houstonprofootball.com/draft/prospects/images/PICTURE_crogers.gif

Now, I must admit I know significantly less about this guy than I do about Antrel Rolle or Adam 'Pac-Man' Jones, but he's rising up the boards and Draftshowcase.com have us taking him at #9 in their mock.

The biggest reason for his rise is a blazing 4.31 dash at the Combine. Nice. He's also a good size to go with that speed - 6'1 and 191 lbs. However, scouting reports say he's best in zone coverage - last season our CBs seemed to be playing a more aggressive man-to-man scheme last year, leaving Sean Taylor free to roam the backfield and make big hits.

Super Santana, I know you're not wild about us taking a corner as you have faith in Walt Harris and have faith in the system. I see your point but I'm not convinced we'd pass up on one of the three top corners - especially if the best WRs are off the board. This guy seems okay, I like Pac-Man though.

Thoughts?

PaddyRamsey
22.03.2005, 09:34 PM
I may have faith but let's face the facts, do we really want to draft a WR anyway? Even if we lose Gardner (which seems wholly likely at this point), WR is still not a desperate need.

I like Walt Harris very much, but if the opportunity comes to take a standout CB I wouldn't turn him down... however... if I had it my way I'd want us to upgrade the D-line with a stud DE. It's our main weakness and would really turn us into an all-round defensive unit if we could upgrade it another notch.

Still, BPA and all that.

Revenge of Rypien
22.03.2005, 09:40 PM
do we really want to draft a WR anyway?

The Santana Moss deal is growing on me all the time, because at the end of the day the guy has speed. He's an impact player and it's hard not to like him.

David Patten is the one I'm slightly more concerned about Don't get me wrong I think he's good, but he played in a NE offense where spreading the ball around was the name of the game. He was, IMO, a good part of a good rotation. That's different from being a definite number 2.

On the other hand, if the likes of Taylor Jacobs step up and give us that "unit" at WR then Patten (and the team) could really flourish.

Cooley and Royal are developing into nice pass-catching threats, which certainly helps. I like 'em both.

Bottom line is I wish we hadn't pooped away our 2nd rounder on Mark ruddy Brunell! >:( :-X Then guys like Chris Henry, maybe even Jerome Mathis would have been available for us in the 2nd and we could look for a quality DE or CB in the first. Ho hum.

~Edit~ Hindsight: great innit? 8)

Revenge of Rypien
22.03.2005, 09:50 PM
By the way, we have re-signed linebacker Chris Clemons. (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A54016-2005Mar21.html)

http://www.redskins.com/uploads/photos/perm/main/FNPNBKCFMCPF/ClemonsChris2.jpg

I liked him alot in what I saw last year; very glad to have him back. I think he could be a breakout guy in Williams' system. Not as good as Antonio, granted, but I think he'll have a strong year in 2005.

PaddyRamsey
22.03.2005, 11:27 PM
I agree, that's great news for us. I reckon Clemons may have a break out year too, he and Lemar Marshall are both extremely talented players.

allthegiants
23.03.2005, 09:03 AM
What do you think about this rumor that Taylor wants to restructure his contract already?

http://www.kffl.com/player/9280/NFL

lefty
23.03.2005, 03:12 PM
What do you think about this rumor that Taylor wants to restructure his contract already?

http://www.kffl.com/player/9280/NFL

no surprise there he got shafted last year its not going to be a big deal

Revenge of Rypien
24.03.2005, 02:27 PM
Time for some more tragic over-analysis of possible Redskins first-rounders ::)

No.2: Troy Williamson, WR, South Carolina

http://graphics.fansonly.com/photos/schools/scar/sports/m-footbl/auto_action/35154.jpeghttp://graphics.fansonly.com/photos/schools/scar/sports/m-footbl/auto_action/a-williamson092802.jpg
http://www.moethompson.com/photogal13.jpg
(Troy on the left, with his brother and cousin. His cousin's t-shirt ownnnnz)

When I first saw that nfldraftcountdown.com had given us Troy (6'0, 200lbs) at #9 overall I was surprised, but the site admitted it was "maybe a little reach" and the more I read the guy is growing on me. Draftshowcase.com had him going to the Panthers at #14 so he's in the right ballpark.

He needs to bulk up a bit - we don't want our own Pinkston! 8) - but he's a good athlete with good skills who can run after the catch, something Gibbs seemed to want LC to do when he kept throwing him screens last season.

Bottom line for me is that BMW and Braylon have both helped themselves recently and are now both not so likely to be on the board when we pick. Would Williamson be a good facsimile or should the team look to other needs?

lefty
24.03.2005, 07:34 PM
i like williamson but i feel he may be a reach at 9

IMO we are in a horrible position for this draft, and have to concur with Paddy the we have to draft best pick available.

The players we would really benifit from MW edwards, pac man and possibley rolle should be off the board when we pick. Williams is a reach and to be fair would just add another smurf to our corps.

I could live without drafting a Wr as would love to see what Taylor Jacobs could do, well unless MW is still there!!

would like to see us trade down but i cant honestly see a team trading up for who will be on the board at 9

Revenge of Rypien
24.03.2005, 07:49 PM
I really wouldn't rule out at least one of Antrell Rolle, Pac-Man Jones and this guy Rogers (who is definitely growing on me) being there at #9. Rolle's stock has fallen a bit it seems - nobody's talking about him as a true elite guy any more, whereas at one stage people had him going to the Browns at #3 and things in mock drafts. He's still a good player though and I think we have a shot at him.

Mike Williams and Braylon Edwards will probably be gone, however, hence why I'm trying to look at less high profile possibilities.

lefty
24.03.2005, 07:51 PM
i would prefer rogers to rolle, especially with that kinda speed i just hope we dont draft another smurf, really would hate snaps to be taken away from jacobs

Revenge of Rypien
24.03.2005, 07:56 PM
i would prefer rogers to rolle, especially with that kinda speed i just hope we dont draft another smurf, really would hate snaps to be taken away from jacobs

You're liking Jacobs then? Cool, I rate him and I think he's capable of doing well, maybe even becoming a solid no.2 guy during the season to allow Patten to play the slot. The thing is I'm not totally confident it'll work out like that. Still, as you say he's worth developing rather than drafting in another new guy (unless they are a true impact player.)

I think we will take a wideout at some point in the middle-lower end of the draft though. There's a guy from UCLA called Craig Bragg who I quite like; 5th rounder (ish) I reckon.

lefty
24.03.2005, 08:05 PM
Jacobs really should have been a first round lock when he came out we were lucky for him to fall to us.

Great speed, good hands and alot of heart. Unfortunate with injury he picked up in his first season and gibbs love the kid. Drafting another small speed reiciever just doesnt make sense.

Dont get me wrong if MW or edwards fall to us grab them quick but we have a first round prospect sat there in jacobs

if mccants really is in the fold then we are set at Wr. it was only last year people were clamouring for him to be our number 2 instead of 50/50.

if we do miss MW which is very very likely i quite like the look of vincent JAckson who should be around in the 4th. he looks like he has the potential to develop into a possesion reciver.

i would love MW but realistically i think it will be rogers

Revenge of Rypien
25.03.2005, 11:49 AM
Hmmm, the struggle to shift 50/50 goes on it seems ::)

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A58354-2005Mar22.html

(You may need to register. Basically it says that teams are reluctant to go for him because 2005 will be the final year of his rookie contract, and he is hesitant about signing an extension straight away with a new team. Teams obviously don't want to give up a pick for someone who might go off and be a FA in 2006 anyway!)

Yikes...

http://images.nfl.com/photos/img5858048.jpg

PaddyRamsey
26.03.2005, 05:50 PM
Apparently Tennessee are very interested in Mike Williams at the moment... hopefully we have plenty of plans drawn out.

Revenge of Rypien
26.03.2005, 06:01 PM
hopefully we have plenty of plans drawn out.

Plans drawn out, you say...? Here's a possibility, not sure how likely it is (for a number of reasons) but worth checking out.

No.3: Shawne Merriman, DE, Maryland

http://graphics.fansonly.com/photos/schools/md/sports/m-footbl/auto_headshot/p-Merriman04.jpg
http://graphics.fansonly.com/photos/schools/md/sports/m-footbl/auto_action/a-merriman-022403.jpg

Now, as you can see he's playing as a stand-up outside linebacker in the bottom photo, and if he went to a team using the 3-4 he'd definitely be an OLB. However, at 6'4 and 272 I'm satisfied that he is big enough to play for us at Defensive End in the NFL. Problem is, I think a few teams ahead of us could be satisfied of this fact as well, most notably Minnesota.

Talk of the Redskins going after a DE in the draft seems to have fizzled out, maybe because people assumed that we were going to lock up Courtney Brown? Anyway, it hasn't quite worked like that and this is still a position of need.

Merriman is a great athlete and a relative local with some sick pass-rushing skills but tbh it would probably take Minnesota doing something surprising like going for a wideout or Derrick Johnson to give us a clean shot at him.

As for the BMW situation, I think the Browns, Bears, Bucs and Titans will all look hard at him, and Minny might as well although they'd be wrong to IMO.

lefty
26.03.2005, 06:03 PM
Hmmm, the struggle to shift 50/50 goes on it seems ::)

(You may need to register. Basically it says that teams are reluctant to go for him because 2005 will be the final year of his rookie contract, and he is hesitant about signing an extension straight away with a new team. Teams obviously don't want to give up a pick for someone who might go off and be a FA in 2006 anyway!)

Yikes...

the problem is everytime someone phones to sort a deal out with him he drops the phone!!!

PaddyRamsey
26.03.2005, 06:10 PM
I've said before - if I had it my way, I'd take a DE. It's a more pressing need and would probably prove the best value in the long run.

npmallon
28.03.2005, 12:01 AM
Depending on how FA turns out, I think we need to use our 1st on a D player. Most of the time a rookie D player has a chance to start and make a solid impact on the team, than a WR for example. I would prefer that we trade down and pick up a 2nd rounder, so that we could take the best of either a CB or DE (more likely to be a DE) with a lower 1st round choice and then go for a CB in the 2nd. I think Wilds is solid enough to start for us in the next couple of seasons and we are in the position to groom up a CB. A pass rushing DE will round out our D nicely and things may yet change, if we sign C.Brown. I know Brown has injury concerns, but given he signs an incentive laden contract (which is what we and Denver hare rummoured to have offered him) and with our D-line rotation, I think Brown could be very productive for us and remain healthy. ;)

We also need to pick up a MLB in there so it oculd be a choice of using a 2nd on one or picking up a project in the later rounds. Thing is though MLB isn't the best depth wise this year! :P

Revenge of Rypien
28.03.2005, 09:04 AM
We also need to pick up a MLB in there so it oculd be a choice of using a 2nd on one or picking up a project in the later rounds. Thing is though MLB isn't the best depth wise this year! :P

It's not great but there are worthwhile lower-round projects. I like Lofa Tatupu of USC and he could fall to us in the 4th, possibly. He lacks ideal size but he's quick and could come in as a special teams gunner right away... remind anyone of Antonio Pierce?

http://216.182.195.20/visports/images/football/college/lofa.jpg

Cal's Wendell Hunter is very much a project but he's got playmaker potential and he should be around in the really late rounds, ie 6th-7th.

Interesting what you say about trading down out of #9 - I have to say I'm not convinced by the idea. I agree there are a good number of solid DEs in this class and if we traded down to somewhere around #20 guys like Pollack, the Cody's etc... would probably still be there. Problem is I'm not wild about the CB talent available in the second round. I like Rogers, Jones, Rolle and Miller. Fabian Washington has great speed but it seems he's raw, Marlin Jackson is okay but not amazing, and in any case none of those six would likely last until wherever we pick in the second. Not sure who we'd go after. Hokie Eric Green would be a decent "local" pick I guess.

npmallon
29.03.2005, 08:13 AM
Interesting what you say about trading down out of #9 - I have to say I'm not convinced by the idea. I agree there are a good number of solid DEs in this class and if we traded down to somewhere around #20 guys like Pollack, the Cody's etc... would probably still be there. Problem is I'm not wild about the CB talent available in the second round. I like Rogers, Jones, Rolle and Miller. Fabian Washington has great speed but it seems he's raw, Marlin Jackson is okay but not amazing, and in any case none of those six would likely last until wherever we pick in the second. Not sure who we'd go after. Hokie Eric Green would be a decent "local" pick I guess.

I think if we trade down, then we could maybe use a 1st on a solid CB who could at least play Nickel Back straight away. We could use a 2nd (picked up by the trade down hopefully!) to pick up a pass rushing DE. We don't need to go for an 'all round every down' DE with the rotation that we have. We just need to pick up a guy who's good at comming off the edge. This will take the pressure of the LBs and CBs for blitzing and cause opposing offenses even more problems than last year! ;)

Revenge of Rypien
29.03.2005, 08:54 AM
I think if we trade down, then we could maybe use a 1st on a solid CB who could at least play Nickel Back straight away. We could use a 2nd (picked up by the trade down hopefully!) to pick up a pass rushing DE. We don't need to go for an 'all round every down' DE with the rotation that we have. We just need to pick up a guy who's good at comming off the edge. This will take the pressure of the LBs and CBs for blitzing and cause opposing offenses even more problems than last year! ;)

It depends how far we trade down. If we dropped to around #15 (I say that because I think the Chiefs might be receptive to trading up to get Rogers or Pac-Man) then Justin Miller would most likely still be on the board. I reckon he's the 4th best corner, although some people (called Ed :P) reckon he's now above Antrel Rolle. Anyway he's quick and as you say could play nickel for a year.

Then in 2006 we have Springs and a slightly more experienced Miller starting, with Walt Harris in the nickel, which is his best position IMO 8)

I like the idea of the pure pass-rusher for our rotation, not quite sure who it'd be in the 2nd round though. We might have to convert a speedy OLB into a situational edge-rusher (get me with my draft lingo), but since they'd only be needed as part of a rotation I guess that'd be cool.

Revenge of Rypien
29.03.2005, 09:12 AM
Further to my last post here's another bit of scouting...

No.4: Justin Miller, CB, Clemson

http://www.houstonprofootball.com/draft/prospects/images/PICTURE_jmiller.gif
http://img.coxnewsweb.com/C/02/25/75/image_875252.jpg

This is a guy we could target in the trading scenario me and ScoringSkins just talked about. Justin Miller is the 4th CB on most people's boards, and he's certainly a player I wouldn't mind having for the 'Skins - just not with the 9th overall pick.

He's not the biggest corner - at the combine he measured only 5'9" and 3/4, weighing 201lbs - but he's a pretty physical player. That's a tendency he'd have to curb in the pros, especially in the NFC East where the likes of TO, Keyshawn and Plax are big and physical and can draw penalties from corners who try to fight them too hard.

One big thing on Miller's side is speed, both playing speed and sprinting speed in drills. Draftshowcase.com, who credit him with a 4.41 40, say "Justin Miller hasn't received the same attention that Rolle and Pacman Jones have gotten, but Miller could have an instant impact next season."

npmallon
29.03.2005, 11:37 AM
Report:

C.Brown to sign with Broncos

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A7462-2005Mar28.html

It's also been reported on espn.com and the Washington Times website.

Apparently his decision came down to between the Redskins and the Broncos. The Broncos offered a slightly better deal and we were only rummoured to have offered the minimum salary for 1 year with no incentives tied to his health. As for the Broncos, they have offered slightly more (better signing bonus probably) and they also have the option to extend the contract for 5 seasons. I think their incentives are tied to his health.

Also the Jaguars were rummoured to have offered Brown the best deal money wise, but it seems Brown was attracted by the Broncos willingness to give him playing time and he's re-united with his former D-line coach.

It'll be interesting how it pans out for him and it would be nice to see him comeback from all the injuries, as I feel he's a quality DE when healthy! ;)

Revenge of Rypien
29.03.2005, 12:07 PM
As I said in the other thread about this, I love how the Post are now relentlessly going on about how injury-prone he is ;)

npmallon
29.03.2005, 12:10 PM
As I said in the other thread about this, I love how the Post are now relentlessly going on about how injury-prone he is ;)

LOL it's nice to talk up his bad points now that we're not getting him! ;)

CrazyLikeAFox87
29.03.2005, 02:24 PM
It's a shame we missed out on Brown because, if healthy, he could have made an impact and saved us the need to spend one of our draft picks on a DE.

I think we needed to fill one of our holes in FA but unless we go after Andre Dyson, it doesn't look like we will. So which is our biggest need in the draft? It's odd that most people say we need to add on defence, despite finishing 3rd in the league as opposed to finishing 30th on offence.

I agree though, we have more holes on the D. We need a DE, a MLB and a CB. It looks that only a CB is worth the #9 overall and there's 3 or 4 to choose from. Surely we would get one of them even if we dropped down?

I can't see us going WR as we seem well stocked in quantity if not in #1 type quality.

Ideally I'd like to see us drop a few places and pick up a 2nd rounder. We may still get a top CB or DE with a 15-20 pick.

Revenge of Rypien
29.03.2005, 02:33 PM
Ideally I'd like to see us drop a few places and pick up a 2nd rounder. We may still get a top CB or DE with a 15-20 pick.

For lower-round defensive ends I like David Pollack. Back at the end of the college season mocks had us taking him at #9 - that seems early now but he's a good little player and a nice pass-rusher. I wouldn't object to drafting him at all, especially if we got a 2nd rounder as well.

npmallon
29.03.2005, 02:56 PM

For lower-round defensive ends I like David Pollack. Back at the end of the college season mocks had us taking him at #9 - that seems early now but he's a good little player and a nice pass-rusher. I wouldn't object to drafting him at all, especially if we got a 2nd rounder as well.

I'm hoping this offseason will shoe Gibbs that building through the draft is a good way to go. It will alllow us to pick up some decent players from starters to special teamers/practice squad and could round out our team nicely. All this business of giving up draft picks for veterans is all fair and well, but not every offseason! ;)

Revenge of Rypien
29.03.2005, 03:03 PM
I'm hoping this offseason will shoe Gibbs that building through the draft is a good way to go. It will alllow us to pick up some decent players from starters to special teamers/practice squad and could round out our team nicely. All this business of giving up draft picks for veterans is all fair and well, but not every offseason! ;)

Agree 100% !

Most normal teams start off with seven draft picks each year and get a few extras as compensatory picks from the league or via trades.

But not the Redskins, nooooooo. We have had seven picks in two years! >:(

Admittedly, 6 of the 7 are still with the team and Taylor, Cooley, Dockery and Jacobs are all either starters on on the fringes of starting, but it's not good enough when you think about the FA busts in that time.

The idea of trading down from #9 is definitely growing on me fast, but only if we don't drop too far and only if we add a 2nd rounder.

npmallon
29.03.2005, 03:24 PM

Agree 100% !

Most normal teams start off with seven draft picks each year and get a few extras as compensatory picks from the league or via trades.

But not the Redskins, nooooooo. We have had seven picks in two years! >:(

Admittedly, 6 of the 7 are still with the team and Taylor, Cooley, Dockery and Jacobs are all either starters on on the fringes of starting, but it's not good enough when you think about the FA busts in that time.

The idea of trading down from #9 is definitely growing on me fast, but only if we don't drop too far and only if we add a 2nd rounder.

A second rounder is a must as a trade down I think. The problem with that though, is we may need to trade down to the 20's in order to pick one up. W'ell only trade down to a 15-20 place if the team trading with us has two or more 2nd rounders, unless they are desperate and know they're competing with another team for a prospect.

It's situations like this that we miss Charley Casserly in the FO. He was superb at pulling off draft day trades and the likes of Cerrato might not be too hot at generating interest from teams. I can't wait until the draft and I'm definately in favour of trading down in order to pick up additional picks. We might have to settle for a high 3rd rounder as a worst case scenario.

It's also weird to think that we've probably hit on our past two years draft picks when compared to free agents! :P

Revenge of Rypien
29.03.2005, 03:42 PM
It's also weird to think that we've probably hit on our past two years draft picks when compared to free agents! :P

Heh, yeah. Thing is we seem much better at evaluating early-round talent than the later guys. We've drafted some elite players in the top two rounds, but a lot of people we've taken between rounds 3 and 7 in the last five years are out of the league, never mind no longer in Washington.

Apart from Arrington and Samuels, I don't think anyone we drafted in 2000 is still in the NFL! The 2002 draft had decent depth with Cartwright and Royal later on but guys like Jeff Grau and Greg Scott disappeared of the face of the earth.

It makes me worry about Wilson and Molinaro :-\

lefty
29.03.2005, 06:25 PM
talking DE i am really starting to like haye in the 3rd round, he seems to be shooting up a few draft boards at the mo

PaddyRamsey
29.03.2005, 06:38 PM
Speaking of those picks, I'm still not a big fan of Dockery at all.

lefty
29.03.2005, 06:54 PM

make or break year, with rahbach signed, jansen back he could be our surprise of the season, either that or we give up on him

Revenge of Rypien
29.03.2005, 07:06 PM
I didn't say he was good, I said he was starting ;)

CrazyLikeAFox87
30.03.2005, 12:32 AM
There's more talk about us looking at Andre Dyson. If we can pick him up cheap, that's a good move.

npmallon
30.03.2005, 07:11 AM

This year I'm hoping to see an improvement in Dockery's play. He has all the tools there and I think his development has been stunted by playing in two totally different O-line schemes. I think he'll come on some this year. If Ray Brown signs on, then we'll have some insurance there. I think Raubach will lock up the C position too. :)

Revenge of Rypien
31.03.2005, 09:16 AM
Right, moving on now to look at some potential 3rd rounders now. For the record, yes I would prefer to be looking at 2nd rounders here >:(

No.5: Jovan Haye, DE, Vanderbilt

http://www.collegefootballnews.com/photos/Vanderbilt_-_Jovan_Haye_home.jpg
http://www.commodoregameday.com/haye.jpg

Much like Travis Johnson to Cincinatti in the first, every mock under the sun seems to have us making Jovan Haye our third round pick. Personally, I'm not complaining. He's a great athlete who really looks the part and has shown impressive maturity as a team captain in college.

However, looking the part and giving consistent production are different things - Haye went from 8.5 sacks in 2003 to precisely 1 in 2004. He was double-teamed some of the time, but not all the time. Nfldraftcountdown.com call him a "streaky player who is either great or average" and say he "needs to be more aggressive." I agree - he has the tools (except he's maybe a little short at 6'2, but that doesn't bother me) but they aren't always utilised in the best way.

Still, it's the 3rd round, and the uber-studs are gone. Haye could be a very tidy pick.

CrazyLikeAFox87
01.04.2005, 04:10 PM
I'm beginning to like the draft down theory and pick up an extra pick (2nd rounder hopefully).

I can see us taking a DE first if we do, and a CB with the second as our depth is shallow. Imagine the nightmare if Springs went down leaving Harris and Wilds starting with Brown and Jimoh stepping up.... :-\

lefty
01.04.2005, 05:16 PM
the problem is that you need to have someone who wants to trade up and i cant see that happening.

i cant see there being a player at 9 being left that is worth someone giving up a 2nd to move up and nab!

if any of the elite corners or wr are still there get them!

CrazyLikeAFox87
11.04.2005, 08:01 PM
I've just read on extremeskins from a reliable source, that LaVar is on crutches again after more surgery on his knee.

No clue yet as to whether it's long term rehab or short.

This offseason keeps getting worse! >:(

styles
12.04.2005, 09:48 AM
This offseason keeps getting better and better, ;)

I cannot wait to make the playoffs....... ;D

imported_Chicago
12.04.2005, 09:58 AM
This offseason keeps getting better and better, ;)

I cannot wait to make the playoffs....... ;D

Oh man, that´s the joke of the week. Giants and playoffs this year. LoL

npmallon
12.04.2005, 11:36 AM
I've just read on extremeskins from a reliable source, that LaVar is on crutches again after more surgery on his knee.

No clue yet as to whether it's long term rehab or short.

This offseason keeps getting worse! >:(

There's a few reports about that Arrington is not happy with the lack of support provided to him byt the Redskins regarding his injury. He's made some inflammatory comments to a few reporters, but it seems Gibbs has had a chance to talk to Arrington and calm him down.

I think he's just frustrated at the length of time the injury has taken. Hopefully he'll be ready by training camp! ;)

CrazyLikeAFox87
22.04.2005, 06:30 PM
We've gone a bit quiet here guys! What's the latest....the newly acquired #25 pick. Who do we think we'll take with our two number ones? Did we overpay for the extra pick?

My guess is that if we stay where we are, we will take one of the 3 CBs that are available as I think Edwards and Williams will be gone. Having said that, if one is available, do we take one? If we do, we could potentially have 7 WRs if Gardner stays.

Will we package him with picks to move up? Does anyone want him?

Who do we take with our #25?

Do we take LB Derrick Johnson, possibly the best defensive player in the draft?

I would like us to trade down to around 14-15 and still get CB Carlos Rogers with a 2nd thrown in. With #25, take Heath Miller, Matt Jones or Troy Williamson if he is still there.

Anybody think we could trade Santana Moss on draft day? He's not shown up for the "voluntary" workouts yet as he wants a new contract and if we do draft a WR, one or two of them become expendable. Moss hasn't got off the the best start.

PaddyRamsey
22.04.2005, 06:37 PM
You'd be surprised how many mocks I've seen that have Williams dropping further than us. Won't happen though.

Fox also have Rodgers going to Carolina... not sure what's going on there.

Anyway... I'm liking Rogers more and more as each day goes by. If both he and Rolle are on the board come our pick, I hope and pray we go with Carlos should the FO decide CB.

Wouldn't like us to take Miller. The risks outweigh the advantages a little too heavily for my liking, and I would like to see a season of starting for Chris Cooley before I think about a new TE.

Haven't heard any of the Moss rumours, would be slightly worrying if it were true. And if it were - WR would definately have to be addressed (but regardless of wether Moss goes or stays, I still believe Gardner should go).

Daunte2Moss
22.04.2005, 06:40 PM
hope and pray we go with Carlos should the FO decide CB.

I heard on ESPN your team is in love with him anyway.

They should be - best CB in the draft.

PaddyRamsey
22.04.2005, 06:45 PM
hope and pray we go with Carlos should the FO decide CB.

I heard on ESPN your team is in love with him anyway.

They should be - best CB in the draft.

Well that's what I'm hoping. If not for his superior athleticism, but Rolle's off-field personality worries me and I'd rather avoid any possible hassle completely. No worry with Rogers.

CrazyLikeAFox87
22.04.2005, 07:10 PM
A lot of mocks have Rogers going as the third CB meaning we could drop down from #9 and still get him. Maybe that's wishful thinking.

I don't see WR as a problem position. If we do draft one, we need to make room. Trading Moss on draft day hasn't been a rumour as far as I know but it was mentioned on a Skins forum and got me thinking. I could see it happening if we draft one. We would then have the rookie, Patten, Jacobs, Thrash, McCants. It would have to be for one of the top two WRs though. We look a bit thin otherwise in terms of experience and deep threat.

I read a good article on the pros of drafting Miller. I've not seen him play so I'm only going on what I've read and the writer made a good argument for drafting him and using him with Cooley as Cooley is an H back, not a TE. It made sense giving oppo Ds a match up problem over the middle as he is quicker than most LBs forcing defences to use a safety to cover him leaving one on one with one of our speedy WRs.

PaddyRamsey
23.04.2005, 01:32 PM
What do you guys think of the talk of us taking Jason Campbell with #25?

Revenge of Rypien
23.04.2005, 01:35 PM
I think he'd be good value with our non-existent second rounder :P At #25 it's a no-no for me. He is a good player but I'd prefer to pass on him.

Depending on who's there in the 4th/5th rounds I wouldn't rule out drafting a QB. I like Andrew Walter, but the reason I like him as arm strength and he's bunged up his elbow hasn't he?

You decided who "your guy" is at #9, assuming we stick? I'm pulling for Shawne Merriman.

PaddyRamsey
23.04.2005, 01:39 PM
I can't stand all these mocks that are saying we're either not set on, or weak at QB. Gibbs has already said he's going with Ramsey and that's that in my opinion.

With #9, providing we stick, I'm still thinking we should go with Rogers. I think the chances of trading down and hoping he's still available are too slim, and I'd love a player like him added to our D.

If we DO trade down, (depending where of course), there may be a chance that Merriman is still available.

But then with all the mocks predicting Aaron Rodgers to slip even further than us, it wouldn't surprise me if the FO make another stupid decision >:(

Revenge of Rypien
23.04.2005, 01:45 PM
I don't want A-Rodg in Washington. As I Cal fan I love him, as an NFL prospect I'm not so enamoured. I still think he's solid and if the 9ers are still in the #1 spot they should take him, but I don't want us to give up on Ramsey by drafting a guy who is very obviously there to replace him.

If we took someone like Walter later on - or even Campbell earlier - it would be more of a project.

I just wish we were in a position to select a CB later on; I badly want Ronald Bartell, the local boy out of Howard. However, since it's unlikely we could take him Rogers would be good.

http://www.howard.edu/livefootball/images/athletes/ronald_bartell_c_jr_vs_alabama_state.jpg
Ronald Bartell, CB, Howard

I still want Merriman though 8)

npmallon
23.04.2005, 04:34 PM
I've added a Washington Redskins thread to the draft section of the forums, in case anyones interested in sticking their ore in! ;) :D ;D:

http://www.nfluk.com/usersession.php?board=14;action=display;threadid=1 0132

Revenge of Rypien
23.04.2005, 06:37 PM
Well, here he is people, our new rookie cornerback Carlos Rogers

http://www.houstonprofootball.com/draft/prospects/images/PICTURE_crogers.gif

Revenge of Rypien
23.04.2005, 09:20 PM
And here is our "new QB," Jason Campbell. I'd better get used to this hadn't I?

http://espn.starwave.com/media/ncf/2005/0103/photo/a_campbell_il.jpg

CrazyLikeAFox87
23.04.2005, 11:07 PM
I must admit to being a little disappointed with our first two picks. I think we could have dropped a few places and still drafted Rogers, but even more idsappointing was drafting Jason Campbell at #25. I'm sure he's a great player (at least I hope so!), but I'm equally sure that we had more pressing needs.

Revenge of Rypien
23.04.2005, 11:09 PM
I must admit to being a little disappointed with our first two picks. I think we could have dropped a few places and still drafted Rogers, but even more idsappointing was drafting Jason Campbell at #25. I'm sure he's a great player (at least I hope so!), but I'm equally sure that we had more pressing needs.

Agree 100%

hopwood
24.04.2005, 09:46 AM
just thought you'd like to see our new LB, Kevin Burnett forcing a fumble of your new QB Campbell ;D ;D ;D

http://media.scout.com/media/image/21/217590.jpg

looks sweet ;)

Revenge of Rypien
24.04.2005, 10:30 AM
Erashole :P

You lot did have a very good day, no two ways about it. Ware, Spears and Burnett are great additions. If you add a good free safety and some more O-line talent today this draft could be sick for you. Darn.

hopwood
24.04.2005, 12:55 PM
i must admit i was suprised when you took Campbell, does this mean that there's possibly 3 QB's fighting for the starting spot next seaason or will Campbell be groomed for a couple of seasons time?

Revenge of Rypien
24.04.2005, 01:19 PM
i must admit i was suprised when you took Campbell, does this mean that there's possibly 3 QB's fighting for the starting spot next seaason or will Campbell be groomed for a couple of seasons time?

Well Brunell is incapable of fighting for anything. He's done and dusted but he basically has to stay on the roster for cap reasons as far as I can tell.

Campbell and Ramsey should be fighting for the position, although Gibbs seems not to like Patrick - remember he's a Spurrier guy - and could be headed for the door.

One rumour is we might trade Ramsey to the Saints for DE Darren Howard. Not sure how I feel about that but having passed on Merriman and then gone QB with our second pick we still need someone to rush the passer, and Howard is a proven double-digit sacker.

That said, Campbell needs to sit for a while and learn the ropes. Ramsey will almost certainly start on day one if he is still with the team.

hopwood
24.04.2005, 01:34 PM
but if you trade Ramsey who's goona start for you @ QB? surely you see Ramsey as your starting QB

Revenge of Rypien
24.04.2005, 01:37 PM
but if you trade Ramsey who's goona start for you @ QB? surely you see Ramsey as your starting QB

Well apparently not, considering we just spent a 1st round pick on another passer. You don't spend 1st rounders on back-ups.

If Ramsey is traded before the season we'll be pretty much shafted - Brunell is too old and too bad to start and Campbell is too raw. Tim Hasselbeck won some games in 2003 so if Ramsey leaves I'd probably want him to start on day one!

If Ramsey goes our best hope is that Campbell turns into another Leftwich or Roethlisberger, ie instantly ready to play, not amazing but avoids mistakes and doesn't lose us games.

PaddyRamsey
24.04.2005, 03:02 PM
From what I've heard Gibbs does want to go with Ramsey. He's in by far the best position to win games for us and he has the potential to be a very good QB in the NFL indeed. I will be very upset if we bench or trade him.

Revenge of Rypien
24.04.2005, 03:59 PM
He's in by far the best position to win games for us and he has the potential to be a very good QB in the NFL indeed.

I agree but...

Gibbs does want to go with Ramsey.

...does he? Why did we spend a 1st round pick (and give up a fair bit to get it) on a QB?

PaddyRamsey
24.04.2005, 04:06 PM
Campbell will definately not be for now - no team in the league would be stupid enough to start him this year (even us! :o).

Ramsey will be on a Brees-esque mission this year to prove himself.

Revenge of Rypien
24.04.2005, 05:52 PM
So far on Day Two of the Draft we have added Manuel White, a RB-FB 'tweener out of UCLA and Robert McCune, an ILB out of Louisville.

I like the McCune pick - he adds good depth and will compete with Lemar Marshall and Chris Clemons for playing time inside. Good player, I know stockers likes him.

White I'm not so sure about but he's a good receiver, which helps.

http://graphics.fansonly.com/photos/schools/ucla/sports/m-footbl/auto_action/a-white100403.jpghttp://graphics.fansonly.com/photos/schools/lou/sports/m-footbl/auto_action/8206.jpeg

Matti
24.04.2005, 06:32 PM
I really dont know why we went for a FB surely Rock Cartwright is good enough and we could pick up a cheap assed back up in free agency

I don't think Campbell even wants to play this season so Ramsey it will be - Although there are loads of rumours saying Gibbs aint happy with Ramsey!!!

npmallon
25.04.2005, 07:32 AM
I don't think Gibbs will want to start a rookie, as he loves his veteran. This upcomming season I anticipate Ramsay to be the guy, but beyond this season I'm not so sure what will happen with him. Ramsay could be trade bait next offseason, depending on where we stand for the draft, but at best we could proabably only pick up a 2nd round selection for him, unless he has an amazing season.

If Gibbs is serious about building for the future with Campbell waiting in the wings foe a few seasons, then I'm all for it. It's what this organisation has been lacking for some time.

That said I think the No.25 could have been used on a player that would help this team now, not for the future. Looks like we've given up too much to get the extra 1st round draft pick. ;)

Revenge of Rypien
26.04.2005, 10:20 AM
Time for some more 'Skins news. Amid all the post-Draft talk, Joe Gibbs met with Rod "50-50" Gardner yesterday to discuss his future with the team.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/04/25/AR2005042501367.html

If you aren't registered with the Washington Post you probably won't be able to read that, but it basically says they didn't decide anything. "Gardner remains in limbo," apparently.

It also says that "several teams bid for Gardner, particularly the Cleveland Browns, Minnesota Vikings and Seattle Seahawks." This was before the draft obviously.

Meanwhile, Pro Bowl uber-linebacker Marcus Washington will miss minicamp after having a cyst removed from his tailbone. Yum.

Oh, and here are the rookies, seen for the first time with their burgundy gear:

http://www.redskins.com/uploads/photos/perm/main/ICACFILMFOOL/5C5A6307cover.jpg

I tell you what, I'm not wild about all the moves we made on draft day but if this guy Rogers works out right, he could be the real deal at corner for years to come.

http://www.redskins.com/uploads/photos/perm/main/EGGOADLEKBIB/redskins_7575840PG.jpg

PaddyRamsey
26.04.2005, 11:14 AM
So is Sean taking #21 or what then? ???

Revenge of Rypien
26.04.2005, 11:23 AM

I dunno, he's listed as "0" on the roster on redskins.com

PaddyRamsey
26.04.2005, 11:27 AM

That's really going to annoy me >:( I know how bad he wants it and all... but he's still being a selfish ******* ;)

PaddyRamsey
26.04.2005, 11:27 AM

That's really going to annoy me >:( I know how bad he wants it and all... but he's still being a selfish ******* ;)

Revenge of Rypien
26.04.2005, 11:35 AM
That's really going to annoy me >:( I know how bad he wants it and all... but he's still being a selfish b*****d ;)

Meh, I think he should have it. I'm not really bothered tbh.

PaddyRamsey
26.04.2005, 12:31 PM
That's really going to annoy me >:( I know how bad he wants it and all... but he's still being a selfish b*****d ;)

Meh, I think he should have it. I'm not really bothered tbh.

I'm only bothered because it makes my jersey out of date. I would keep it but I'd never wear it.

Ah well, I'll pass it off as a rare rookie collectable 8)

Revenge of Rypien
26.04.2005, 12:38 PM
I'm only bothered because it makes my jersey out of date. I would keep it but I'd never wear it.

Ah well, I'll pass it off as a rare rookie collectable 8)

Oh I see, well fair enough then lol.

HogsFanUK
26.04.2005, 05:37 PM

He'd better not be Paddy!!!!!!! Or you're getting yer jersey back... >:( :'( ;)

Britskin
26.04.2005, 08:22 PM
I think there is a chance Campbell will start. When was the last time GIbbs went for a QB in the early rounds

RFK4Ever
27.04.2005, 01:48 AM
I think there is a chance Campbell will start. When was the last time GIbbs went for a QB in the early rounds

Gibbs has never drafted a QB in the first round.

First post on these forums, btw. Im actually a 'Skins fan from the States, born and bred Skins fan - family has always lived in/around DC. Anyhow, Im kind of the opposite of most people on this site - I love my Redskins, but Im actually obsessed with Football (not American football, your lots type!). I stumbled across this site when someone mentioned it was like a bizarro version of the one I visit (which is full of Americans who love Soccer).

Anyhow, I think both sports are fantastic, but to be honest, Im not too excited about the prospects for this year. I think we ought to have drafted Mike Williams - the Redskins still have no deep threat and the opposing defenses will capitalize on that by stuffing the line of scrimmage to prevent us running. At least Brunell wont see the light of day now that we've drafted another QB, though. My grandfather, who has been a Redskins fan since the team was brought to DC in the 30's, said he was the worst QB he had ever seen don the Burgandy and Gold, so take that for what its worth.

I really hope you all make it over for a Skins game sometime..even though FedEx atmosphere is nothing compared to what RFK was like, its still the biggest stadium in the league, and if the Redskins give the fans something to cheer about it can be quite fun. DC lives and breathes for the Redskins, too. Im sure its comparable to the way some towns in England live and breathe for a certain Football team.

Ill try to remember and visit regularly so I can give you reports from the plethora of interviews with the team that the local news stations all have. The most interesting one is the weekly interview with Joe Gibbs on Channel 4, but if anything interesting comes across the radar that you all might not get over there, Ill try and post about it.
Oh, and one last thing - fvck the Cowboys! We'll get them this year...

npmallon
27.04.2005, 07:46 AM
On the rookie getting a shot at starting, I don't think that will happen, unless Ramsay plays like Brunell and well, Brunell plays like Brunell!

Of the 221 games Gibbs has been incharge of the Redskins, only 11 of those he had a rookie QB start (and I'll bet most of those are due to injury). That basically sums Gibbs reluctance to throw the sheep to the wolves (so to speak! ;)).

Campbell is an insurance policy. Ramsay's contract runs out in 2 years time. Look at how Gibbs got burned with the departure of Smoot and Pierce. Smoot was definately labelled a 'Core Redskin' and Gibbs didn't get the loyalty he thought he would and what he was used to first time round. The cap situation also doesn't help though. We'll get to see Campbell in pre-season and maybe some mop up duty towards the end of the season as well.

I'm coming round to the idea of drafting Campbell, as he could be our future, but saying that we probably gave up too much for him (could we have got a 2nd round QB next year instead??) and the extra first could have been used on either a CB or WR or DE or MLB or Heath Miller (My Cavs bias here!).

Hindsight being the best thing of course, as the draft panned out it looks like we probably could have got Campbell in the upper tyo mid 2nd round, especially seeing as no one knew we were after him until the penultimate hour before the draft. We might pay for not having the 1st rounder next year. ;)

CrazyLikeAFox87
27.04.2005, 11:01 AM
Welcome RFK4Ever - it's always good to have another 'Skins fan on board.

Lots to discuss here. I too thought we should draft Mike Williams as an immediate impact type of player but after the draft, looking back, on the fact that we didn't draft any receivers, tells us that Gibbs is happy with our receivers - we've certainly got enough of them, especially if Gardner returns. I was kind of hoping that we would draft Williams then trade Moss and Gardner for extra picks.

I agree with the Campbell is insurance argument. Again, I disagreed with the pick at the time but I think it tells us that Gibbs is not 100% convinced with Ramsey yet, although that could change with a good year this year. Gibbs doesn't want to get caught out if Ramsey leaves as a FA in two years time. Assuming Brunell is cut or retires after the 2005 season, that would leave us with Ramsey and Campbell as I think Hasselbeck will be gone soon. If Ramsey then left, we would be desperate at the most important position hence his comments about the QB position.

He now knows he won't get the level of loyalty he used to so he doesn't want to take a chance being left without a quality QB.

PaddyRamsey
27.04.2005, 12:09 PM
I'm SO glad we didn't take Williams instead of Rogers.

styles
27.04.2005, 12:53 PM
So you are telling me you are happy with the wide receiving core of:

Moss, Patten, Gardner and Jacobs.......

Looks like Clinton Portis will be seeing alot of men in the box this season........ ;)

npmallon
28.04.2005, 07:19 AM
Hey all you Redskins fans. We need your help!!!!

The Gnats and us are the only teams from our division in the NFL Elimination thread, but they are about 9-10 points clear of us! :-[

I noticed the lack of Redskin fans support there, so I thought I'd let you know that we have the opportunity to get rid of the Gnats. The Cowgirls and Sparrows have already been eliminated. If we can keep up the vote, then maybe, just maybe we'll be the last team standing!!!

You are allowed to only vote once per day, so no cheating!!! ;)

Here's the link:

http://www.nfluk.com/usersession.php?board=8;action=display;threadid=97 31;start=840

It explains the rules on the 1st page, but basically you vote a +1 for the team of your choice and add it to the total score and you also vote -1 for the team you dislike. When a team gets down to 0, they are eliminated! We are on 19 and the Gnats are on 27 Grrrrr :P

CrazyLikeAFox87
28.04.2005, 02:51 PM
I just voted!

PaddyRamsey
28.04.2005, 05:51 PM
So you are telling me you are happy with the wide receiving core of:

Moss, Patten, Gardner and Jacobs.......

Looks like Clinton Portis will be seeing alot of men in the box this season........ ;)

Nice one, you obviously know very little (verging on nothing) about the guys in question.

Matti
28.04.2005, 07:03 PM
I think our receivers could be better than they were last year - who will be returning punts Thrash or Morton?

hhahahahaha

http://www.geocities.com/Colosseum/Field/2946/pee.gifhttp://www.gamedayauction.com/images/partners/teams/NFL_Giants_Logo_45x45.gif

PaddyRamsey
28.04.2005, 07:08 PM
Thought I'd modify your post for the benefit of our Giants friend, RR.

Hope you don't mind ;)

CrazyLikeAFox87
29.04.2005, 02:31 PM
At least it seems like we're not the only team with a few players with issues. The budgies have a couple too!

Matti
29.04.2005, 02:59 PM
Thought I'd modify your post for the benefit of our Giants friend, RR.

Hope you don't mind ;)

Not at all it was supposed to have dallas star there but it got lost!

Speaking of which, i am very worried about our "2nd spot" in the NFC - Their draft choices were bloody flawless - Our risky ones better be worth it :-\

Matti
30.04.2005, 04:06 PM
???What will brunell/hasselbeck do next year?

PaddyRamsey
30.04.2005, 05:59 PM
???What will brunell/hasselbeck do next year?

Rot on the sidelines with any luck.

Matti
01.05.2005, 01:52 PM
Fair enough!

CrazyLikeAFox87
02.05.2005, 12:04 AM
Hasselbeck will be gone. I think we have to wait till next year to get rid of Brunell otherwise he costs us too much cap space.

Matti
02.05.2005, 10:31 AM
So will we just bring in a 3rd in free agency. Is Hasselbeck happy sitting on the bench!?

npmallon
05.05.2005, 11:49 AM
Oh well, Hasselbeck has been released. I'm sure he'll catch on with another team and given the right system, this guy could be a solid QB for a team looking to groom up a promising rookie for a season or two. ;)

On a lighter note, Moss has signed an extension. He got something like a $11m SB on a 6-year $31m contract. There is a clause in the contract that if he reaches 45% of playing time at all during the first 5 years, the final 6th year will be made void. This means that the deal is really a 5-year $26.5m contract, which is more cap friendly me thinks. ;D

styles
05.05.2005, 02:15 PM
A little more than we paid Plax............. ;)

Revenge of Rypien
09.05.2005, 10:19 AM
Just taking a look at some of our undrafted free agents. Steven Harris is a WR out of Arkansas who caught four TDs last year for the Razorbacks. He was their leading receiver in terms of total receiving yards.

He had a couple of big games - 6 catches for 133 yds and 2 TDs against LA-Monroe and 6 catches 114 yds at Florida - but has also had a history of shoulder injuries. He's not a kickoff returner which also limits his value to us IMO, although we are pretty solid in that area with Betts and Antonio Brown.

http://www.hogwired.com/Media/Story/s6012e1m8523.JPG
Steven Harris - WR - Arkansas

Charles Howard is a defensive lineman from FSU, who is undersized (6-3, 265 according to his college, 6-2, 259 according to redskins.com) but who gets good penetration inside. Could be similar to USC's Mike Patterson. Considering we rotate our D-line a lot I like the sound of this guy; he could mix it up alongside Boschetti, Salave'a etc...

http://graphics.fansonly.com/photos/schools/fsu/sports/m-footbl/auto_headshot/p-01Howard.jpg
Charles Howard - DL - Florida St.

We've also got Zak Keasey, a former All-Ivy linebacker out of Princeton. He's small but I don't think we just got him for his wonderlic scores - this guy has consistently led his team in tackles.

http://graphics.fansonly.com/photos/schools/prin/sports/m-footbl/auto_headshot/p-Keasey_h.jpg
Zak Keasey - LB - Princeton

We've also taken some local products such as OL Domonique Richardson (Howard), QB Bryson Spinner (Richmond) and WR Rich Parson (Maryland).

I doubt most of these guys will make the roster - Charles Howard has the best shot, probably - but there are some interesting prospects who could be NFL-E guys in 2006.

Matti
12.05.2005, 12:06 PM
What do you guys think about this TAYLOR situation. IMO i think he's takin tha **** right out of the franchise. HE'S A SECOND YEAR PLAYER!!!

However we can't afford to lose him---No more defensive backs should be allowed out FedEx Field EVER!!!!! :(

Revenge of Rypien
14.05.2005, 03:31 PM
I think we need to work something out, and I don't mean "work something out" like we did with Smooooot I mean Work. Something. Out.

The guy WILL be an All-Pro safety and if he leaves (which I honestly don't think he will) we could look very silly for years to come.

It's always the way with the Redskins - were linked with trying to sign every big name all over the league while at the same time all our star players are allegedly trying to get themselves shipped somewhere else. I'll believe it when I see it.

npmallon
16.05.2005, 02:09 PM
At the end of the day Taylor is under contract. It's not too big a deal that he's been away from the voluntary work-outs from a contract point of view. He is missing valuable coaching time for chnges to the D.

It'll be a significant development if he's not at the OTA's comming up this week. He signed the contract and it's partly his fault for messing about with the agent that he wants to represent him. A lot of his unhappiness with his contract stems from the public criticism generate by Kellen Winslow II and the Postons, when they were negotiating his contract.

Taylor just wants more guarantees on his money, than the incentive laden contract that he's got. Long term it's in The Redskins best interests to re-negotitate and keep him happy, but not at the cost to the cap situation. At the end of the day he signed a contract and now needs to honour it.

Revenge of Rypien
18.05.2005, 10:12 AM
I've just seen that we've signed ex-Bears and Browns linebacker Warrick Holdman. Our LB corps is getting huge! He seems a pretty good player but I hope he doesn't take a roster spot off of one of our promising youngsters.

http://www.fanmonster.com/browns/team/players/Holdman_Warrick/718901_8.jpghttp://i.cnn.net/si/images/football/nfl/players/4756.jpg

http://www.nfl.com/teams/story/WAS/8480156

He has 4 sacks, 7 forced fumbles and an interception in his career.

npmallon
19.05.2005, 09:06 AM
http://www.nfl.com/teams/story/WAS/8480156

He has 4 sacks, 7 forced fumbles and an interception in his career.

I think we've probably picked up our starter for the season at MLB in Holdman. He's a player that we targeted last offseason, but didn't sign and now we've got him at a decent price. I'll be looking for him to improve within the system throughout the season. I think this move signals the end of Barrow, who looks like he may have to retire because of his dodgy knee. He was always a bit of a gamble and at the end of the day we really need the cap space to sogn up our rookies. With the addition of holdman, I'm feeling much more comfortable with our MLB positon.

It'll be interesting to see how well he performs with Lemar Marshall set to make a strong push for the starting spot. ;)

Revenge of Rypien
19.05.2005, 09:10 AM
Our LBs are probably the best area of our team now. Arrington is All-World if he stays healthy and pays attention on every down. Marcus Washington was a Pro Bowler last year and has been a real ace in Greg's system. I love Chris Clemons, who was really coming along towards the end of last year, as was Marshall. Now we have Holdman who looks very solid, plus McCune who is a rookie but he's 26 so can definitely contribute fairly soon.

Competition is healthy, and all the best defences rotate their linebackers anyway - Pats, Eagles, Ravens etc...

P.S. Barrow has to go, I hope we can get rid of him on June 1st without messing up the cap more

npmallon
19.05.2005, 12:08 PM
Our LBs are probably the best area of our team now. Arrington is All-World if he stays healthy and pays attention on every down. Marcus Washington was a Pro Bowler last year and has been a real ace in Greg's system. I love Chris Clemons, who was really coming along towards the end of last year, as was Marshall. Now we have Holdman who looks very solid, plus McCune who is a rookie but he's 26 so can definitely contribute fairly soon.

Competition is healthy, and all the best defences rotate their linebackers anyway - Pats, Eagles, Ravens etc...

P.S. Barrow has to go, I hope we can get rid of him on June 1st without messing up the cap more

Agreed. I really like our depth at LB we have some young guys who'll be potential starters somewhere down the line and are real solid back-ups. It helps that Williams' system is LB friendly and it'll be interesting to see how Pierce performs for the Gnats. That's not to knock Pierce but I think the D system complimented his skills last year, but he's got great football instincts. :)

allthegiants
19.05.2005, 12:18 PM

Agreed. I really like our depth at LB we have some young guys who'll be potential starters somewhere down the line and are real solid back-ups. It helps that Williams' system is LB friendly and it'll be interesting to see how Pierce performs for the Gnats. That's not to knock Pierce but I think the D system complimented his skills last year, but he's got great football instincts. :)

You know he is going to be a stud LB ;D ;)

PaddyRamsey
19.05.2005, 12:24 PM
Any news on 50/50?

npmallon
19.05.2005, 03:53 PM
Any news on 50/50?

Not as yet but it looks like the writings on the wall and he'll be a post june 1st cut. We could do with the extra cap space and it's unlikely that we'll be able to get anything for him in a trade. :P

CrazyLikeAFox87
23.05.2005, 01:05 PM
Yeh, it looks like he'll be gone after June 1st.

I like Holdman too. Although he usually plays WLB we will move him to the middle for some veteran experience and leadership. Good move but Barrow will go. I'll be disappointed to see him go without playing a down as he was a tackling machine bt he was never going to be the long term answer.

npmallon
24.05.2005, 07:25 AM
Yeh, it looks like he'll be gone after June 1st.

I like Holdman too. Although he usually plays WLB we will move him to the middle for some veteran experience and leadership. Good move but Barrow will go. I'll be disappointed to see him go without playing a down as he was a tackling machine bt he was never going to be the long term answer.

Personally I think Barrow's career is done. I can't see him making a comeback after being out for almost a full 12 months. There's not even been any recent improvement, which is a shame because he could have been a real forc in Williams Defence for a couple of years and would've been a great help in bringing the younger guys along. :-[

PaddyRamsey
24.05.2005, 12:43 PM
Not that we didn't already know this, but it would appear our O-line has been confirmed as Jansen, Thomas, Rabach, Dockery, Samuels.

Backups to be Brown, Friedman, Raymer, Wilson & Molinaro.

Let's just pray none of our starters go down :(

lefty
24.05.2005, 04:49 PM
wooo hoooo finnaly got my ticket confirmation today!!!

opening day skins bears block 125 row 1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

very front row!!!! does life get any better?????

any views on hall???? he seemed to be a stud a few years ago

Revenge of Rypien
24.05.2005, 05:30 PM
any views on hall???? he seemed to be a stud a few years ago

The kicker? Amazing leg strength, needs to work on his consistency (and stay fit, obviously). Can put kickoffs in the endzone all day long.

CrazyLikeAFox87
24.05.2005, 08:32 PM
I think he means Corey Hall who was released by the Falcons. Played four years for Bengals, starting the last two years. Seems like a good pickup for $500k.

I wish we could get some definite news on Taylor. All this speculation isn't good for me!

Revenge of Rypien
24.05.2005, 09:20 PM
I think he means Corey Hall who was released by the Falcons. Played four years for Bengals, starting the last two years. Seems like a good pickup for $500k.

Oh right I hadn't seen that signing. Erm.... he's sort of half decent... ish. Isn't he? :-\ He was released after all...

npmallon
26.05.2005, 07:18 AM

Oh right I hadn't seen that signing. Erm.... he's sort of half decent... ish. Isn't he? :-\ He was released after all...

I think he's insurance in case Bowen has further problems. He'll add some solid depth to what looks like pretty good talent at both Saftey positions. Hall was considered one of the more sought after safeties a couple of seasons ago and I think his release by the Falcons is more to do with the change in coaching staff and he's just got caught up in the shuffle.

As far as our O-line, at least it looks somewhat improved from last season. I could see Brown push Dockery for the G spot and once again on paper our line looks great in terms of starters, but we need to see if they can all play together. ;)

Revenge of Rypien
26.05.2005, 08:44 AM
As far as our O-line, at least it looks somewhat improved from last season. I could see Brown push Dockery for the G spot and once again on paper our line looks great in terms of starters, but we need to see if they can all play together. ;)

Keeping Jansen fit is an absolute must for me. He looked okay on the mini-camp film on Redskins.com so fingers crossed.

PaddyRamsey
26.05.2005, 11:37 AM

Keeping Jansen fit is an absolute must for me. He looked okay on the mini-camp film on Redskins.com so fingers crossed.

Losing Jansen = 2004 offence all over again

CrazyLikeAFox87
26.05.2005, 08:10 PM
Cory Hall has been released! Apparently he doesn't want to play anymore. There was doubts about his desire before he signed.

That must be the shortest signing ever!

CrazyLikeAFox87
26.05.2005, 08:15 PM
And now we're looking at RW McQuarters. Good signing for depth I'd say.

RickySanders
27.05.2005, 09:36 AM
McQuarters would be a good signing as far as depth is concerned :)

Revenge of Rypien
29.05.2005, 12:03 PM
McQuarters could be more than depth IMO, I really rate him pretty highly. A Springs-McQuarters starting duo on opening day with Rogers at nickel, then Springs-Rogers starting and RW in the nickel later on in the season would be awesome.

If we sign him, do you think Walt Harris becomes a June 1 casualty?

PaddyRamsey
29.05.2005, 12:46 PM
So far all I've heard is Harris will be starting if all stays the same. I'm a fan of him so I hope we don't let him go.

lefty
30.05.2005, 12:58 AM
we would be mad to let harris go

experienced solid player and above all quire cheap

CrazyLikeAFox87
30.05.2005, 12:28 PM
No way would we release Harris. McQuarters still hasn't signed so I wonder if he will.

CrazyLikeAFox87
04.06.2005, 04:35 PM
Taylor's now wanted im Miami in relation to a shooting. Not known if he was a witness, victim or involved yet. Trouble just seems to follow him around. >:(

RickySanders
05.06.2005, 03:52 PM
Any of you guys know of any links or websites where I can get my hands on Redskins Video Clips ??

CrazyLikeAFox87
05.06.2005, 04:17 PM
redskins.com. Extremeskins.com also has a few links.

npmallon
06.06.2005, 12:01 PM
Taylor's now wanted im Miami in relation to a shooting. Not known if he was a witness, victim or involved yet. Trouble just seems to follow him around. >:(

He's just been released on bail. Looks like he's got himself into more trouble here. This could jepordise his presence at mini camp and beyond. I can't help but wonder if he'd be in trouble if he was in DC instead! :-[

CrazyLikeAFox87
07.06.2005, 01:39 AM
The 'Skins have now excused him from the rest of the OTAs and mini camp. They're saying sort yourself out and report to training camp on July 31st.

What an idiot!

styles
07.06.2005, 09:43 AM
You boys have got a real find here............ ;)

I cannot believe how someone could be so stupid.

You know if he was in DC none of this would of happened.

Holding out after 1 year of his rookie deal after a decent season, now involved in an assault...... :-[

How much more will Joe Gibbs take before trading him?

imported_Chicago
07.06.2005, 10:02 AM

Holding out after 1 year of his rookie deal after a decent season, now involved in an assault...... :-[

Everyone deserves a second chance. But his margin of error now is near zero.

npmallon
07.06.2005, 11:09 AM

Everyone deserves a second chance. But his margin of error now is near zero.

LOL I was beginning to breath a sigh of relief that we didn't end up with KWII! ;) At least we got a decent season out of Taylor.

I think he's got a few more chances left, but at the amount of preparation work that he's missing, I'll be surprised to see him as an opening day starter. If he's not careful he'll be riding the bench for a while and that contract he signed will look more like it's worth $18m than the $40m he could get if he reached his incentives.

Taylor has no leverage to renegotitate. He needs to clean up his act off field to stand any chance of being able to re-negotitate.

He's young and he's yet to learn. It'll be interesting to see what the 'U' players on our roster do about this situation, as it's going to hurt the team. :P

Matti
07.06.2005, 12:09 PM
What Redskins (if any) are playing in the World Bowl?

I haven't been watching! ???

npmallon
07.06.2005, 03:58 PM
What Redskins (if any) are playing in the World Bowl?

I haven't been watching! ???

We have no players on the Amsterdam Admirals or the Berlin Thunder, the two teams contesting the world bowl. I've only been keeping an eye on Redskin players via Redskins.com. Here's a summary of their progress:

http://www.redskins.com/news/newsDetail.jsp?id=6226

I don't bother watching the so called NFLE, as there are no UK teams in it anymore. I just keep up to date with the Redskin players via redskins.com! ;)

Britskin
08.06.2005, 09:58 PM
Totally revamped receiving core

http://www.redskins.com/news/newsDetail.jsp?id=7447

PaddyRamsey
08.06.2005, 10:06 PM
Good!

Neil G
09.06.2005, 08:40 PM
Thank christ for that.
Next season is all about keeping the O line healthy though.

CrazyLikeAFox87
10.06.2005, 01:05 PM
At last, Sean Taylor has spoken to Gibbs! Gibbs seems positive after Taylor gave him his version of events.

He is fully expected to report to training camp on July 31st.

Revenge of Rypien
10.06.2005, 06:30 PM
Let's get positive! :) ;)

http://www.redskins.com/uploads/photos/perm/main/EJBDBCKLBGBD/PortisOTA2PG.jpg
The NFL's next 2000 yard rusher (?) runs the cones

http://www.redskins.com/uploads/photos/perm/main/EJBDBCKLBGBD/MossReachOTAPG.jpg
Do the Super Stretch!

http://www.redskins.com/uploads/photos/perm/main/EJBDBCKLBGBD/GibbsOTAsPG.jpg
"It's called a football - it's about yea big. You'd know one if you saw one." :P

http://www.redskins.com/uploads/photos/perm/main/EJBDBCKLBGBD/MossSmilesPG.jpg
S.A.N.T.A.N.A.

npmallon
14.06.2005, 07:49 AM
Hopefully Taylor can get his troubles sorted in time for training camp, keep his nose clean and get down to business by klnocking our NFC East rivals blocks off! ;D

styles
14.06.2005, 10:31 AM
I cannot wait for a rejuvenated Shockey to run all over Taylor, like he does everyday training in Miami........... ;)

PaddyRamsey
14.06.2005, 12:26 PM
If our O-line holds strong this year I'm very excited about our chances. Portis could go for 1600+ yards easily and considering Ramsey's accuracy behind that stick fence last year - he could impress.

All we need is big-D to hold together and we'll really be going places.

Britskin
14.06.2005, 12:59 PM
If our O-line holds strong this year I'm very excited about our chances. Portis could go for 1600+ yards easily and considering Ramsey's accuracy behind that stick fence last year - he could impress.

I still think this year is another rebuilding year with all the new players arriving at Fedex field

PaddyRamsey
14.06.2005, 01:14 PM

I still think this year is another rebuilding year with all the new players arriving at Fedex field

To be perfectly honest, we don't have time to rebuild. We've spent the best part of the last 3 years shifting procedures around (rebuilding or not), and the fans patience is wearing thin. There's talk Gibbs won't stay on after a 2nd losing season, and I don't blame him. We've spent too long underachieving and it's about time we made some waves - because we certainly have a good enough team to win 8 games.

npmallon
14.06.2005, 02:07 PM

To be perfectly honest, we don't have time to rebuild. We've spent the best part of the last 3 years shifting procedures around (rebuilding or not), and the fans patience is wearing thin. There's talk Gibbs won't stay on after a 2nd losing season, and I don't blame him. We've spent too long underachieving and it's about time we made some waves - because we certainly have a good enough team to win 8 games.

We may only just be good enough to post an 8-8 mark. Like it or not we are in rebuilding mode. Gibbs needs time to place his stamp on this team and all this talk about him leaving after a 2nd losing season, is just rumours. Gibbs earlier in the off-season re-affirmed his comittment to the Redskins organisation and there has been nothing to suggest that he is un-happy with the way Snyder runs things. In fact Gibbs is the one running the show and I think so far so good. ;)

Britskin
14.06.2005, 03:56 PM

We may only just be good enough to post an 8-8 mark. Like it or not we are in rebuilding mode. Gibbs needs time to place his stamp on this team and all this talk about him leaving after a 2nd losing season, is just rumours. Gibbs earlier in the off-season re-affirmed his comittment to the Redskins organisation and there has been nothing to suggest that he is un-happy with the way Snyder runs things. In fact Gibbs is the one running the show and I think so far so good. ;)

As Long as Snyder does not get impatient again

PaddyRamsey
14.06.2005, 05:08 PM
The only thing we're rebuilding is our cap situation, the team needs no such treatment.

Britskin
15.06.2005, 10:21 AM
The only thing we're rebuilding is our cap situation, the team needs no such treatment.

The receiving core is in the process of being rebuilt.

npmallon
15.06.2005, 11:39 AM

Don't forget that next year is going to be a down year Cap wise. It's supposewd to be worse than this years (although the Coles trade may have put paid to that), but I'm expecting something similar next year. I like our WR's they're Gibbs type players but we lack a legitimate No.1, so let's hope one of these guys can step up! ;)

Also the Arrington arbitration is set for July 18th and if it comes out in his favour then we're in big trouble next year Cap wise. He counts $12m against the cap next year and it would go up to $18 id the arbitration comes out in his favour. We'd probably have to do some last minute re-negotiations to help remedy this possibility.

From what I've read about the situation it appears that the Redskins may be covered. Carl Poston has admitted to not reviewing the final contract due to deadline pressure. That to me says that he's admitted to not doing his job correctly. His job is to secure and help stipulate the contract language, so he should be checking it every step of the way and the Postons have been around long enough to know to make sure to cross their t's and dot their i's. ;)

PaddyRamsey
15.06.2005, 12:54 PM

Out with the old and such... given our situation we will be very succesful as a run-orientated offence anyway, we don't need a clear #1 receiver (although we already have that in Moss IMO). We know we've got good receivers.

Revenge of Rypien
17.06.2005, 10:30 AM
The Redskins' new stud QB meets the press...

http://www.redskins.com/uploads/photos/perm/main/GGJHHHFFDACO/web2PGC.jpg

;)

I'm with Paddy about the receivers btw - S.A.N.T.A.N.A.* is good enough to be a no.1 but he doesn't have to be. David Patten has good experience in a NE offense where the spread the ball around and with guys like Cooley, Royal and the rookies White and Broughton set to catch a few balls as well as the WRs we could work a similar type of system.

*there's a story to why I write his name like that. Get me drunk sometime and I'll tell it to you.

npmallon
18.06.2005, 09:13 AM
I'm with Paddy about the receivers btw - S.A.N.T.A.N.A.* is good enough to be a no.1 but he doesn't have to be. David Patten has good experience in a NE offense where the spread the ball around and with guys like Cooley, Royal and the rookies White and Broughton set to catch a few balls as well as the WRs we could work a similar type of system.

*there's a story to why I write his name like that. Get me drunk sometime and I'll tell it to you.

LOL, OK here, have a beer on me............ ;)

Revenge of Rypien
18.06.2005, 10:18 AM
Heh, it's nothing very interesting tbh. It's the title of a song by the rapper Juelz Santana, and I think it's a bit cool.

That is all :-[

Everyone seen the poll on redskins.com?

If you could practice with the Redskins at this weekend's mini-camp, which position would you play?

Quarterback
Running Back/H-Back
Wide Receiver
O-Line/D-Line
Linebacker
Cornerback/Safety

I'd say LB probably. We've got some badass mofos 8)

Revenge of Rypien
18.06.2005, 10:24 AM
BIG JON JANSEN!!

http://www.redskins.com/uploads/photos/perm/main/KEMEGPFFDACO/DSC_0014PG.jpg

http://www.redskins.com/uploads/photos/perm/main/CJBNKCGFDACO/redskins_8248797PG.jpg

Poor Carlos, nobody wants to talk to him... :'(

http://www.redskins.com/uploads/photos/perm/main/CJBNKCGFDACO/redskins_8249340PG.jpg

(They're all crowding around Portis btw)

Matti
20.06.2005, 03:14 PM
Heh, it's nothing very interesting tbh. It's the title of a song by the rapper Juelz Santana, and I think it's a bit cool.

If you could practice with the Redskins at this weekend's mini-camp, which position would you play?

Quarterback
Running Back/H-Back
Wide Receiver
O-Line/D-Line
Linebacker
Cornerback/Safety

Indeed. But i'd go with the WR just because of all the new faces and who's going to step up. Lots of potential there!

npmallon
21.06.2005, 08:23 PM

Quarterback
Running Back/H-Back
Wide Receiver
O-Line/D-Line
Linebacker
Cornerback/Safety

Indeed. But i'd go with the WR just because of all the new faces and who's going to step up. Lots of potential there!

I'd say LB as well, as those guys seem like good fun. I'd especially liketo engage in some trash talking with guys that six=ze backing me up! ;)

Matti
22.06.2005, 10:03 AM
I've gotta say that next year we could have an amazing WR Corps much like the NE bunch we don't have any huge stars but what we do have are a lot of great players which is potentally harder to defend against!

Lets Hope So!!!

Britskin
30.06.2005, 10:12 PM
more bad news for the defensive back core
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/06/29/AR2005062902732.html

PaddyRamsey
30.06.2005, 10:55 PM
Give us a break :'(

npmallon
01.07.2005, 10:50 AM
more bad news for the defensive back core
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/06/29/AR2005062902732.html

The main worry with this injury is the amount of downtime Rodgers may experience that will limit his practice reps. Williams wouldn't need him in as the opening day starter as he's re-knowned for being cautious with his CBs. CBs in his scheme have a lot of responsibility, as they are isolated in coverage, so he needs players capable of reading routes, making neccessary adjustments in cohesion with the safety. Rodgers whilst the eventual replacement to Smoot, would not have been an opening day starter, unless he poved something special in Williams scheme. ;)

imported_King Gibbs
05.07.2005, 11:45 AM
Hi guys, haven't posted since Jan, but i'm back and can't wait for the season. Hopefully we can suprise a few people as most people on here have us down for a losing season, Paddy Ramsey must prove himself this season or it's goodbye and it looks like were building a team for the future rather than just spending loads of money on overrated or past their prime guys. So he's to the season and hopefully a playoff berth come Jan 06. ;)

npmallon
05.07.2005, 11:52 AM
Hi guys, haven't posted since Jan, but i'm back and can't wait for the season. Hopefully we can suprise a few people as most people on here have us down for a losing season, Paddy Ramsey must prove himself this season or it's goodbye and it looks like were building a team for the future rather than just spending loads of money on overrated or past their prime guys. So he's to the season and hopefully a playoff berth come Jan 06. ;)

I think we could be looking at an 8-8 finish. I'm certain we'll improve on last years 6-10, but it will be a slow start to the season as Ramsey will need to develop some cohesion with the new WR Corps and the O-line will need to get used to the Portis friendly blocking scheme. I'm hoping for an 8-8 finish and I also think that our D will remain in the top 10, but probably won't be as good as last year, as our opponents will know what to expect from us and be better prepared.

If we can manage the 8-8 and with the weak NFC, we could sneak into the playoffs, but we need to make sure we can get the business done during the full season, something we've struggled to do for quite a while now! :P

Britskin
06.07.2005, 07:38 AM

I think we could be looking at an 8-8 finish. I'm certain we'll improve on last years 6-10, but it will be a slow start to the season as Ramsey will need to develop some cohesion with the new WR Corps and the O-line will need to get used to the Portis friendly blocking scheme. I'm hoping for an 8-8 finish and I also think that our D will remain in the top 10, but probably won't be as good as last year, as our opponents will know what to expect from us and be better prepared.

If we can manage the 8-8 and with the weak NFC, we could sneak into the playoffs, but we need to make sure we can get the business done during the full season, something we've struggled to do for quite a while now! :P

We have to show we have have cut out the mistakes that cost us games last year. Critically the penalties we were called for at key plays which I found very frustrating.

RickySanders
01.08.2005, 09:56 AM
Lets hope for Week 1 revisited when we face the Bears:

http://images.washtimes.com/photos/full/20041112-110107-7481.jpg

Revenge of Rypien
01.08.2005, 11:52 AM
Give us a break :'(

Erm, be careful what you wish for Paddy mate... I take it the pun was unintentional?

What are the latest photos from redskins.com? Do they reveal our unstoppable new pass rush formation? The new blocking scheme that will push Clinton past the 2000 yard mark, perhaps? Nope, it's the Cheerleaders Calendar Launch Party!

http://www.redskins.com/uploads/photos/perm/main/NKIBNMKKHCFL/DSC_0003PG.jpg

Tbh I think we need to employ some more attractive cheerleaders... or maybe just some better photographers.

Go 'Skins!

Revenge of Rypien
04.08.2005, 11:37 AM
Redskins.com has undergone a partial re-design... meh... I liked it how it was before. Anyway, at least we now have piccies from the first day of Training Camp 8)

(The captions are mine, as should be obvious)

http://www.redskins.com/uploads/photos/perm/main/DMMAHOGBIONI/5C5A8729PG.jpg
Randy Thomas practises his "stud" pose

http://www.redskins.com/uploads/photos/perm/main/DMMAHOGBIONI/5C5A9103PG.jpg
Has Gibbs told Paddy to get used to wearing different colours...? :-\

http://www.redskins.com/uploads/photos/perm/main/DMMAHOGBIONI/5C5A8800PG.jpg
Is LaVar doing sit-ups or twiddling his thumbs? You decide

http://www.redskins.com/uploads/photos/perm/main/DMMAHOGBIONI/5C5A8942PG.jpg
Last season's starting OC, this season's back-up snaps to... last season's starting QB, this season's back-up!

http://www.redskins.com/uploads/photos/perm/main/DMMAHOGBIONI/5C5A9047PG.jpg
"He's a big lad" etc etc...

http://www.redskins.com/uploads/photos/perm/main/DMMAHOGBIONI/5C5A9016PG.jpg
S.A.N.T.A.N.A. sprinting in baggy shorts - young people these days!

Oh yeah, and as you've almost certainly seen, we've signed our top two picks. (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/08/02/AR2005080201643.html)

RickySanders
05.08.2005, 10:01 AM
Not long now!!!!!! ;D

duggay
05.08.2005, 10:12 AM

Who is that guy in the background?

RickySanders
05.08.2005, 11:23 AM

Who is that guy in the background?

Joe Gibbs' geriatric dad !!!!! ;D

Matti
08.08.2005, 03:41 PM
I apologise in advance if this has been mentioned earlier in the thread :-\

But on redskins.com it says Gardener has been treded to the Panthers for an undisclosed draft pick. What the hell does that mean?

I think we should be looking at a second rounder at least

npmallon
08.08.2005, 04:01 PM
I apologise in advance if this has been mentioned earlier in the thread :-\

But on redskins.com it says Gardener has been treded to the Panthers for an undisclosed draft pick. What the hell does that mean?

I think we should be looking at a second rounder at least

There's no way we could've got a 2nd rounder for Gardner. The undisclosed draft pick is rummoured to be a 6th rounder. The writing was on the wall shortly after the season ended, that Gardners days were numbered. Before the draft, the best we could've hoped for was a 6th rounder and I don't think we got a significant interest to trade him then.

He was going to be released just before training camp and seeing as the Panthers went for him just before training camp, they basically assured themselves on first choice of Gardner and for what could just be a 6th rounder, that is a bargain for them to give up, as Gardner is likely to work out well in their west-coast offense. ;)

Matti
08.08.2005, 06:16 PM
Isn't a 6th rounder a horrible loss!

Maybe I was dreaming for a second round pick but he was our 2nd WR!

I mean c'mon you think we would have got a semi-decent trade for him.

npmallon
08.08.2005, 10:23 PM

The market this year wasn't exactly great for WR's and also you need to lookk at the Moss to trade as a bench mark. The Vikes probably could have got a bit more for him, but his trade basically set the market for WR trades this offseason.

Also considering Gardners status, he was entering the final year of his contract, he didn't exactly set the league alight with his time at Washington either. He demonstrated flashes of brilliance, but at the sametime he demonstrated why he's got the nickname 50-50, as he drops too many passes and is known for disappearing in games.

Don't get me wrong though, in the right system and given the rightmotivation/coachingfrom his position coach, Gardner could be a very good WR in the NFL. OK maybe he's not No.1 material, but in the west coast offense/slot WR he will play well provided he's got a legitimate No. 1 accross the field from him to take the heat.

He wasn't going to attract a 2nd rounder this offseason, for these reasons and he's worth the gamble of a 6th rounder for thePanthers, but at the same timeif he doesn't make the most of his opportunity he could end up out of the league. WR just isn't a premium position in the NFL, unless your the likes of T.O/Moss/Harrison! ;)

Gman84
08.08.2005, 11:02 PM

The Skins were lucky they got anything for him, he would have been released soon enough, Carolina just wanted to make sure they jumped ahead of a bidding war.

I haven't had time to go through all this thread so here are my thoughts on the Skins:

Ramseys preformance is key, he has to get rid of some of the bad habits he has shown in the past........holding the ball too long, inconsistency, zeroing in on one receiver, inaccuracey on deep passes...........but he is capable, he has shown that in bursts. Good arm strength, tough as nails, smart.........I really hope he succeeds.

Football is a team game though, if the running game and the new schemes and better use of Portis we are been promised happens, the burden shouldn't be on Ramsey and he should be fine, if the running game struggles again I see a chain reaction into the passing game and we are where we were last year.

Joe Gibbs biggest strength (at least first time round) was his ability to adjust. he is trying to here, more zone blocking and stretch plays to take advantage of Portis (but still expect to see some counters and traps but maybe Betts will run them more). The drafting of two FB's to help the short yardage game, I also think Gibbs is looking for some more mobile blockers in his full protection schemes.

At receiver, big changes.........on paper, it probably looks worse but while Coles was fantastic in 2003 he was inconsistent for the early part of 2004 and Gardener was just plain inconsistent for 4 years (but I would put good money he comes through in Carolina). Speed has been added, Moss has big play potenial and David Patten brings experience and work ethic. It would be nice to see Taylor Jacobs come through but the guy to watch could well be Antonio Brown.......faster than fast (he'll at least have an impact in the return game). D-Mac is a dead duck I reckon.

What I hope to see out of the receivers is more consistencey and players stepping up to pick up the slack. The Pats receiving corps never has a true #1 guy, but any one of 4 can step up one week and lift the passing game......be nice to have that in DC.

OL should be better with the return of Jansen (which in turn, should lift the play of Randy Thomas, who struggled at times because of the RT troubles last year) and the addition of Casey Rabach. The guy who needs to really up his play is Derrick Dockery who gives up too many pens and has bad footwork at times. For a guy his size the Skins should be running behind him a lot more than they do and if he struggles old man Ray Brown could return to his preffered position of LG.

On D, the loss of Pierce and Smoot weren't good but I do feel long term Carlos Rogers will be a better fit for this D, he is a far more physical corner although he won't start straight off the bat. I loved Smoot, he played with a lot of heart and gave 110% but he had trouble with physical receivers (see Bryant and MeShawn) and limited Gregg Williams options for blitzing as Smoot wasn't really an option to use that way.

Lemar Marshall has to replace Pierce at MLB, although he faces some comprtion. He is excellent in coverage but needs to show he can be the leader the D needs and organise for Williams on the field. He at least has experience of playing in this D and will know what is wanted. Whether he can deliver is the question.

Having Lavar back is a boost, he can be a hot head at times and has had problems freelancing but when he knuckles down and plays within the system (as he did for Marv Lewis and kurt Schottenhiemer) he is a top 5 LB in this league and a play maker.

Sean Taylor is the guy to watch.........I believe this guy will be dominant this year, he excels in coverage and hits like a truck......he's frustrating because as a person, he obviously lacks maturity and isn't the sharpest knife in the draw but on the football field.............WOW!

A lot of lower round draft picks and low key FA signings have gone towards helping the special teams units. Field position is something else that can aid the offense. Hopefully John Hall can stay healthy for a full season.........I can't remember the last time a kicker hung around in DC past 3 years!

All in all, if everything goes right, the skys the limit, the past few years have shown that a qucik turnaround in the NFL is possible, but there are so many unknowns to factor in........injuries, surprise cuts, loss of form from unexpected players.

I think for the Skins, it all starts in the division, they have sucked in this division and divisional games for far too long............that has to change............if it does, then good things could happen in Washington this year.

I for one hope so!

Matti
09.08.2005, 03:05 PM
Maybe I was thinkin a second rounder becuase we gave up a first and a third!!!!

I suppose if Gardener was going to be released anyway then at least it's something. We had better finish in the playoffs to take some of the harshness away from the Broncos Trade

CrazyLikeAFox87
12.08.2005, 07:38 PM
Gman, I think you've summed it up pretty well. The potential is there but we all thought that last year!

I just hope our off season moves result in an improved offence. Our D will still be neat the top so a few more points per game could see us make the playoffs.

Revenge of Rypien
12.08.2005, 07:53 PM
Bit of a good story/bad story contrast in the Washington Post 'Skins update that just landed in my inbox. First up is the bad: the story of our lack of healthy corners (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/04/12/AR2005041200476.html). You may need to register to view the artictle. If you haven't and can't be bothered here's the punchline:

Washington's cornerbacks have been hard hit by injuries, which left (position coach Dewayne) Walker with only four healthy players most of the week.

The good news is all about the presence in camp of a healthy Jon Jansen. (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/08/11/AR2005081102089.html) The big man is "among the most important individuals on the team" according to the Post and I'm not disagreeing.

Anyway, time for a photo call from the scrimmage versus the Ravens -

http://www.redskins.com/uploads/photos/perm/main/ABKLHMGGGAOE/5C5A0900HOMEPG.jpg
Touchdown, Antonio Brown

http://www.redskins.com/uploads/photos/perm/main/ABKLHMGGGAOE/redskins_8449262PG.jpg
De-fence! New DB Eric Joyce in action

http://www.redskins.com/uploads/photos/perm/main/ABKLHMGGGAOE/redskins_8449445coverAP.jpg
Ramsey and Portis, the opening day starting combo, put in work

http://www.redskins.com/uploads/photos/perm/main/ABKLHMGGGAOE/5C5A1130HOMEPG.jpg
The new Hogs! That's Thomas on the left of the pic, a quality player

http://www.redskins.com/uploads/photos/perm/main/ABKLHMGGGAOE/5C5A0912HOMEPG.jpg
Portis looking good during scrimmages...

...and no so good back in camp...
http://www.redskins.com/uploads/photos/perm/main/MLMAMOPKBEHP/PortisStrawHatPGCover.jpg

Why is he wearing that hat? :-X

CrazyLikeAFox87
13.08.2005, 01:02 AM
Portis has apparently put on 20lbs in weight and lost none of his speed! He doesn't want to hand over short yardage duties!

Revenge of Rypien
13.08.2005, 09:28 AM
Portis has apparently put on 20lbs in weight and lost none of his speed! He doesn't want to hand over short yardage duties!

Maybe it's his BBQ hat then? Would make sense...

Matti
14.08.2005, 10:57 AM
Any thoughts on the Panther's Game. :(

From what I've read it looks pretty miserable, although the QB's stats ain't bad at all.

We did have a lot of injuries (including Rogers) so it's not as bad as redskins.com makes out imo!

PaddyRamsey
14.08.2005, 12:19 PM
I'm very glad we gave all 3 QB's a good chance, and they all played pretty well too considering. In a regular season game we could have easily come away with 30+ points with Clinton rushing.

Revenge of Rypien
14.08.2005, 02:31 PM
Meh, it's pre-season innit. Hard to tell anything. I would have liked a bit more action to go the way of Super Santana, though.

Broughton's a proper workhorse though and a sack for Newberry looks good.

npmallon
15.08.2005, 07:15 AM
Meh, it's pre-season innit. Hard to tell anything. I would have liked a bit more action to go the way of Super Santana, though.

Broughton's a proper workhorse though and a sack for Newberry looks good.

At least we were willing to go deep with Santanna. It just so happens that Ramsey had a problem releasing the ball, which resulted in the under thrown pass going for an INT.

I think the fact that we brought it to within 14-10 with our starters and back-ups bodes well for our O, even though Brunell moved the chains to pick up the two scores.

As for the D- it was a 'vanilla' performance, but what I was most impressed by was the fact that we didn't give up any sacks, after the Panthers were supposed to have blitzed heavily. ;)

Revenge of Rypien
15.08.2005, 10:50 AM
Time for a quick caption competition:

http://www.redskins.com/uploads/photos/perm/main/NBLPKEMOJDFH/5C5A0490PG.jpg

Give it a go. You can't do worse than redskins.com, who offered up LaVar Arrington has some fun with this youngster. Ooh matron!

For round two, you can try and explain what Jon Jansen is wearing, and why he's wearing it. Still, at least he's walking on his own two legs, an improvement on last pre-season!

http://www.redskins.com/uploads/photos/perm/main/KAPOPHJBBPEF/DSC_0002PG.jpg

Steven Seagal anyone?

The Alster
15.08.2005, 10:58 AM

Give it a go. You can't do worse than redskins.com, who offered up LaVar Arrington has some fun with this youngster. Ooh matron!

For round two, you can try and explain what Jon Jansen is wearing, and why he's wearing it. Still, at least he's walking on his own two legs, an improvement on last pre-season!

Steven Seagal anyone?

if my name my Jon Jansen i'd wear a damn clown suit to draw awat from my name

styles
15.08.2005, 11:24 AM

Steven Seagal anyone?

if my name my Jon Jansen i'd wear a damn clown suit to draw awat from my name

You'd be miserable to if you had to face Mike Strahan twice a year....... ;)

CrazyLikeAFox87
16.08.2005, 01:00 AM
Intruder alert! Go away gnats fan! ;)

I was watching the game on Game Centre while trying to keep up with the commentary on Extremeskins. A lot of them were very critical of Ramsey and thought Brunell looked good. Some were already calling for PR to be benched! Fickle or what!

Overall feeling was "same as last year" with no big passing plays. The D can be excused somewhat looking at the starters we had missing. It's only the first preseason game and we may have Arrington, Daniels, Rogers, Springs and Noble back for the next one.

I think we need to see the second game before we can even start to draw conclusions about the O.

Matti
20.08.2005, 10:46 AM
Beat by Cincy, however, Ramsey completed passes of 46, 33 and 30 yards, all to wide receiver David Patten ;D. Threw 2 interceptions in the direction of Moss >:(. And a TD to Thrash 8).Portis never played so the offense wasn't at full strength!

Oh Yes and Rogers played in his first game and INT a pass away from Palmer! :o

All in all I think it's very positive as we go into Pitsburgh (live on NASN!) where the starters might play into the 3rd!

Revenge of Rypien
20.08.2005, 10:51 AM
Saw none of the game myself; NFL.com aren't very complimentary about Ramseh though :-\ Bengals obviously have the makings of a strong side. Looks like Chris Perry had a useful game which pleases me 'cos I liked him coming out of college.

A pick for Rodgers on his debut is great news, and I also see we've picked up Siddeeq Shabazz (http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/396080) to bolster the defensive back corps.

P.S. How come Pollack didn't play? I thought he'd signed?

Matti
20.08.2005, 11:03 AM
Pollack is still probably trying to get match fit

I still don't think Ramsey looks totally comfertable as No.1 but hey that's what pre-season is about!

I think the fact that he's thrown some longer passes than 5yards shows the offense is changing and we might give our D a sit down once in a while!

Rogers picking off a pass in his first game shows that he is an impact player. Watching NFL Live the Bengals tried to isolate him on a few occassions and beat him but usually speed wise. Which ain't so bad as he never had a full camp and he's probably still not 100% with the foot! I think he's going to be No.1 very soon as he's showing confidence to step off the recievers and go for turnovers. His fitness will be in order by the start of the season!

Gman84
23.08.2005, 12:10 AM
Offensively, the line looks a lot better, Dockery, who really regressed last year especially, they blocked on the rollout so much better.

Ramsey is a worry as he is making the same mistakes as he did as a rookie, his leash will be shorter than Brunells lasy year, but his deep passing looked better at times.

As for Rogers, he's not fully fit yet and he won't start the reg season straight off the bat, he'll be rotated in slowly.

I'm still pretty positive, but I always am before the season.

npmallon
23.08.2005, 07:17 AM
I'll be more comfortable with our O, if we can show that in the next two preseason games we can be consistent. As for the turnovers, well Ramsay needs to learn from them. I'll also be looking for those to but cut down over the next two games and I'd also like to see Portis and Arrington get a run out for a few series with the starters. ;)

styles
24.08.2005, 12:45 PM
Interesting quote from Antonio Pierce regarding Tim Hasslebeck;

"Everybody on the defense wanted him to start, I can tell you that much," said Giants linebacker Antonio Pierce, a member of those 2003 Redskins. "Tim is a gamer. I don't care what you say. He gets in the game, the guy makes plays."

Pierce said the defense preferred Hasselbeck - who will start for the Giants against the Jets in place of the injured Eli Manning on Friday night - over then-starter Patrick Ramsey because of his scrambling ability and the way he managed a game. Pierce called him "exciting" and said it was "fun to watch him play."

make what you will of that, the fact that they are both now at the Giants may have something to do with it.

What do you think lads?

PaddyRamsey
24.08.2005, 01:06 PM
I think he's just doing his job. He can hardly say anything negative and he has a free chance to take a dig at his old team by saying they should have started the guy who has jumped to the same team.

Personally I think he's talking out of his **** - I've never seen anything of Tim that says to me he's starting material anywhere in this league. He had one half decent game last year and everybody went nuts about him, I'm glad he's out of our picture to be honest. Don't get too excited Styles - you've hardly got some superstar-under-wraps just waiting to break through.

He's not that awful though ;)

CrazyLikeAFox87
24.08.2005, 02:09 PM
Hasselbeck will do a job as a no.2 or 3, to hold the fort for a short time. He was solid at times but also horrible against the girls that year with a zero rating!

Good back up but a lot to prove to be a starter.

npmallon
24.08.2005, 02:44 PM
This comment is about the 2003 season. Our D wasn't exactly one of the best either and Pierce was a back-up/special teamer. Don't get me worng though Hasselbeck showed some signs of solid play in the Spurrier system, which didn't hold much regard to the safety of the QB.

Also Hasselbeck was the most mobile QB on the roster (out of Ramsey, Wurfferl and Matthews) and he's got a half decent arm, but is more suited to a west coast system. He did well because his legs were able to buy him time in that 'pass-protection' scheme.

Ask members of the O-line, who stated that they hated Spurriers system and wanted Ramsey to be the QB because of his guts and determination.

Hasselbeck is a decent QB and in the right system will put up solid numbers. He could turn into a Delhomme case in a few seasons time, but he needs the right players around him to elevate his play.

The Gnats have got themselves a great QB if they're looking for a great No.3 guy. It may be time to elevate him to a No.2 role, but he just lacks the game-time experience, which is why Coughlin may want to pick up a veteran.

NB.
Preseason has a habit of making not such great players look good! We need to take into account the typ of opposition they go up against i.e. Starters, back-ups, 3rd stringers, bubble/fringe NFL players, etc! ;)

Matti
24.08.2005, 03:28 PM
Washington: The Redskins' third-place finish on defense last season was, for the tastefully named Gregg Williams, one of the top coaching feats of 2004 -- considering Washington's awful offense meant the defense was on the field a lot, and star linebacker LaVar Arrington was injured most of the year. Many have suggested the defensive performance sans Arrington shows this gentleman is overrated. But the tastefully named Williams has a history of getting peak defensive output from little-known players, so working without Arrington was just par for the course. This offseason, Washington lost defensive stars Fred Smoot and Antonio Pierce. Don't be surprised if Williams plugs in a couple who-dats and his unit continues to play well.

Defense is the only good news for this cartographically challenged franchise, which calls itself the "Washington" Redskins, though the team practices in Virginia and performs in Maryland. Offensive performance declined from 23rd during Steve Spurrier's final year to a not-funny 30th last season. The team's offseason was about the fifth consecutive offseason of disarray. In the two winters since Joe Gibbs returned, draft choices and big bonuses have been expended mostly on skinny glory boys -- quarterbacks, running backs, receivers, cornerbacks -- leaving question marks in the trenches. During the 2004 offseason, in the euphoria over Gibbs' homecoming, the Redskins signed free agents to contracts with a combined paper value of $302 million, about four times that year's cap, while also trading 2005 draft picks for lesser choices in 2004. 'Skins officials declared the contracts had been artfully worded to avoid a cap crash. But yours truly warned, "As early as next winter, Gibbs may find his roster top heavy in cap terms, and already 2005 draft picks have been expended."

So what happened "next winter" -- that is, this offseason? The Redskins hit a sal-cap wall. Smoot had to be let go because there was no cap room to re-sign him, forcing Washington to expend the ninth overall choice in this year's draft on a replacement corner. Pierce, one of the league's best defenders in 2004, had to be let go because there was no cap room to re-sign him. To top things off, the 'Skins again borrowed against the future, trading away their No. 1 choice in 2006. Between dead weight on the salary cap and the mortgaging of next year's picks, the future better be now for Washington, as the winter of 2006 may see a wholesale cap-caused roster purge, plus no top draft pick to replenish the ranks.

This leads to the coaching quandary Gibbs faces. The Redskins' core problem is inept quarterbacking. Last season, neither Patrick Ramsey nor Mark Brunell threw accurately and neither ever asserted command of the offense. There's a case for Gibbs handing the job to rookie quarterback Jason Campbell, acquired in the trade that mortgaged the future picks. Letting Campbell have his learning year as the starter might prepare him to be a top quarterback in subsequent seasons, though all but assuring no playoffs this year. Gibbs' complication: If a cap crash is coming in the winter of 2006, this may be his last chance for several years to field a winning team. So should he start erratic veterans at quarterback, or hand the ball to Campbell?

Draft note: Washington has become a bottomless pit for high-draft choice wide receivers. In 1992, the 'Skins used the fourth overall selection on receiver Desmond Howard; in 1995 they used the fourth overall selection on receiver Michael Westbrook; in 2001 they used the 15th overall selection on receiver Rod Gardner. All were huge disappointments. You have to go back a quarter century, to Art Monk in 1980, for a high-drafted Washington receiver who played well.

Puts a theory to why we keep trading first picks!

WE CAN'T AFFORD THEM!

Monie
26.08.2005, 03:10 PM
Only saw in the starters thread you got Kevin Dyson at WR? As in the ex ex ex Titans guy? Is he going to make a useful contribution this year?

Matti
26.08.2005, 03:50 PM
I don't know if Dyson will be a starter?

Patten, Moss, McCants, Jacobs.

Even if he is a man who was 1 yard away from winning the superbowl ain't bad to have in the mix imo.

PaddyRamsey
26.08.2005, 05:43 PM
I think McCants may be done for, Dyson isn't bad and he's cheap so I definately think he'll see some action this year. Should fight out for 3rd with Jacobs and Thrash.

npmallon
26.08.2005, 06:31 PM
I think McCants may be done for, Dyson isn't bad and he's cheap so I definately think he'll see some action this year. Should fight out for 3rd with Jacobs and Thrash.

Dyson could edge McCants for a roster spot. These are the only 'big' recievers that we have in camp and Gibbs likes to have a possesion type guy as a nice safety valve when for example there's no H-Back on the field and one of these could emerge as an Art Monk type reciever. Dyson has all the tools, but he's comming off some serious injuries and there's some questions hanging over him.

CrazyLikeAFox87
28.08.2005, 11:44 PM
Great performance against the steelers. Many positives to be taken, especially the play of the O line.

Another solid performance against the ravens and we may surprise a few people.

PaddyRamsey
28.08.2005, 11:46 PM
We really didn't have an easy pre-season schedule at all... Carolina, Cincinnati, Pittsburgh and Baltimore... all 4 teams likely to end up with a winning record this year.

npmallon
29.08.2005, 09:08 PM
It was a solid performance and although we can't read too much into this performance (it's preseason afterall!) I'll be looking for some consistency against the Ravens next week. It will be interesting to see what our final roster shapes up to be as well. Looking forward to when the season rolls around!

Gman84
30.08.2005, 05:36 PM
I don't expect much from the Ravens game on Thursday, the last pre season game is usually left to the scrubs so Ramsey probably gets a quarter and same for Brunell. Jason Campbell should get his most extensive action of the pre season. I'd be surprised if Portis plays mush as well.

Britskin
30.08.2005, 08:30 PM
Redskins Cut Wide Receiver McCants
Newberry, Smith Also Are Released

By Nunyo Demasio
Washington Post Staff Writer
Tuesday, August 30, 2005; Page E01

The first round of NFL cuts -- usually consisting of obscure players who are considered long shots to make the team -- took a twist yesterday when wide receiver Darnerien McCants headlined a list of 14 cuts. Other surprise cuts were linebackers Jared Newberry -- a 2005 sixth-round pick -- and Clifton Smith, who had been expected to be a key reserve.

McCants -- whom Coach Joe Gibbs once compared to his former star receiver Art Monk -- had had a tenuous hold on a roster spot with Washington's bevy of receivers. Gibbs declined to elaborate on the decision to release McCants so early, except to emphasize that the inability to contribute on special teams put the fourth-year veteran at a disadvantage. Teams must reduce their rosters to 65, not including exemptions for those who played in NFL Europe, by today. They must further reduce rosters to 53 by Saturday.

"We enjoyed having him here and everything. We just wish him the best now," said Gibbs, whose Redskins were to cut one more player by 3 p.m. today. "[Cut day] is painful because you have a lot of real good guys there that have worked very hard and put everything they got into it. It's just the rules up here just kind of take care of all that."

McCants, an Odenton native who became a fan favorite, posted the news late Sunday night on his personal Web site. Under a headline that said: "It's Official," McCants wrote: "I AM NO LONGER A REDSKIN. I thank everyone for [their] support and love throughout the years. I want you to know this is my home and always will be. If God see[s] fit for me to play again, I'll give it my all like always. I wish my Redskins family the best, and all my brothers stay healthy and win." McCants could not be reached for further comment.

Gibbs predicted that McCants would be picked up by another team before clearing waivers.

And although McCants's practice performances were questioned, wide receivers coach Stan Hixon said that McCants improved markedly from last season: "He was the kind of guy who was a long strider. So some people think he's not running, but he's running. Believe me, he was a lot better than he was last year. He made some strides on offense, but he just wasn't as talented on special teams."

McCants's departure means that Washington's top three wide receivers in 2003 are no longer on the team: Laveranues Coles and Rod Gardner were traded at their request in the offseason. And only six players remain from the 2001 roster: long snapper Ethan Albright, linebacker LaVar Arrington, right tackle Jon Jansen, center Cory Raymer (who left for two seasons), linebacker Lemar Marshall and left tackle Chris Samuels.

Washington's other released players yesterday were tight end Billy Baber, defensive back Charles Byrd, kicker Jeff Chandler, tailbacks Jonathan Comb and Brock Forsey, wideout Steven Harris, defensive lineman Charles Howard, offensive lineman Jerome Nichols, quarterback Bryson Spinner and offensive lineman Josh Warner. In addition, tailback Dahrran Diedrick was waived with an injury settlement.

The Redskins added a player, signing punter Chris Mohr as insurance for Tom Tupa, who missed the past two games with a back ailment.

Newberry and Smith were among a bushel of middle linebackers whom assistant head coach-defense Gregg Williams had said would compete with Marshall for the starting job created after Antonio Pierce's departure to the New York Giants. Middle linebacker has been the most competitive in training camp with 11 linebackers. "We're deep there," said Vice President of Football Operations Vinny Cerrato. "The next cut is going to be very hard."

The Redskins are expected to keep seven linebackers, meaning two more will be released by the weekend. Newberry, who was drafted out of Stanford, was hindered by his struggles on special teams. Redskins coaches said that the departures of Newberry and Smith were an indication of the competition at that position. "I really like Cliff and I liked Jared," linebackers coach Dale Lindsey said. "I don't like cutting anyone of 'em. But that's the nature of the game."

Smith, a first-year player, sparkled in training camp last year before being injured. But Smith didn't progress as quickly or as much as Lindsey wanted.

McCants, who finished preseason with only three catches for 29 yards, was told the news Sunday afternoon at Redskins Park. McCants, 27, subsequently said goodbye to teammates after cleaning out his locker stall.

McCants's best season was in 2003, when he catapulted to become the No. 3 receiver in Steve Spurrier's pass-happy offense after entering camp on the bubble. In 15 games, McCants caught 27 passesfor 360 yards, showing a penchant for big plays, tying Coles for the team lead with six touchdowns.

Before the 2004 season, Gibbs signed McCants to a three-year, $4.5 million contract that included a $2 million bonus. Last season, McCants was inactive for 10 games and appeared in only five, finishing with the worst numbers of his career: five catches for 71 yards and no touchdowns.

With two new starting receivers under six feet, the 6-foot-3, 214 pound McCants seemed to be battling the 6-2, 212-pound Kevin Dyson for a role as the team's big receiver. Entering training camp, Dyson had played in only one game over the past two seasons because of leg injuries. Dyson, who sat out last season after being released by the San Diego Chargers, said he realizes that McCants's departure doesn't ensure him a roster spot.

"Percentage-wise I guess it looks better," said Dyson, who has three catches for 28 yards, all in the preseason opener against Carolina, "but it's the same situation I was in two weeks ago.

Gman84
30.08.2005, 08:54 PM
All the reports I read on McCants in training camp seemed to indicate a lack of effort. The guy has talent and I'm sure he'll catch on somewhere but this was coming for a while now.

Little bit surprised Newberry was let go, he sounded a useful player, at least for teams.

npmallon
30.08.2005, 10:00 PM
All the reports I read on McCants in training camp seemed to indicate a lack of effort. The guy has talent and I'm sure he'll catch on somewhere but this was coming for a while now.

Little bit surprised Newberry was let go, he sounded a useful player, at least for teams.

We could see Newberry catching on with the Practice squad, provided that he's not picked up before then. It was probably a bit of a gamble letting him go now instead of Saturday. It goes to show the intensity of the battle for spots at LB. ;)

Gman84
02.09.2005, 12:11 PM
What's everyones take on Ramsey/Brunell?

I have to be honest, I'm starting to lean towards Brunell and I'll try and explain why:

We all know Ramsey is on his last chance, no way does Ramsey get the leash Brunell got last year. Brunell got that long leash in part because Ramsey was poor in the pre-season and had said himself, he wasn't ready for this offense and then the one early season chance he got, he looked terrible (vs Giants). Gibbs didn't feel he would get any better play with Ramsey at that point so he hung with Brunell until he couldn't no longer.

This whole QB situation has got me thinking about how the game has changed since Joe left. When he first came back, I envisioned Ramsey as our new Mark Rypien (he even wears the same number).......a bombs away QB who would get max protection to do his thing.

Why I don't think that has as good a chance of working is down to the rule changes regarding receivers and coverage. In the 80's, corners could rough up receivers down the field so if you max protected, you gave the receivers time to break away from that. Now, receivers can hardly be touched, so D's are more aggressive towards the QB as they can affect the way he throws better like that. The NFL now has many more defenses that just come after the QB regardless so to me, to counter that, you need a QB who can be a bit more mobile and make quick decisions. The day of the pure pocket passer is dying. I'm not saying all QB's have to be Mike Vick, they just need to be able to move reasonably well back there, even non-scramblers like Brady and Manning manage that well.

I want Pat to succeed............I don't feel comfortable with Pat there and I'm waiting on his next mistake. I feel more comfortable with Brunell in there.

I could see a two week trail, if he makes a mistake in that time, especially vs Dallas, he'll be pulled and that will effectively be the end of his Redskins career.

I hope someone can point be back to this in early 2006 and show me how wrong I was though.

Matti
02.09.2005, 03:17 PM
What's everyones take on Ramsey/Brunell?

I have to be honest, I'm starting to lean towards Brunell and I'll try and explain why:

We all know Ramsey is on his last chance, no way does Ramsey get the leash Brunell got last year. Brunell got that long leash in part because Ramsey was poor in the pre-season and had said himself, he wasn't ready for this offense and then the one early season chance he got, he looked terrible (vs Giants). Gibbs didn't feel he would get any better play with Ramsey at that point so he hung with Brunell until he couldn't no longer.

This whole QB situation has got me thinking about how the game has changed since Joe left. When he first came back, I envisioned Ramsey as our new Mark Rypien (he even wears the same number).......a bombs away QB who would get max protection to do his thing.

Why I don't think that has as good a chance of working is down to the rule changes regarding receivers and coverage. In the 80's, corners could rough up receivers down the field so if you max protected, you gave the receivers time to break away from that. Now, receivers can hardly be touched, so D's are more aggressive towards the QB as they can affect the way he throws better like that. The NFL now has many more defenses that just come after the QB regardless so to me, to counter that, you need a QB who can be a bit more mobile and make quick decisions. The day of the pure pocket passer is dying. I'm not saying all QB's have to be Mike Vick, they just need to be able to move reasonably well back there, even non-scramblers like Brady and Manning manage that well.

I want Pat to succeed............I don't feel comfortable with Pat there and I'm waiting on his next mistake. I feel more comfortable with Brunell in there.

I could see a two week trail, if he makes a mistake in that time, especially vs Dallas, he'll be pulled and that will effectively be the end of his Redskins career.

I hope someone can point be back to this in early 2006 and show me how wrong I was though.

You make a fair point indeed. I have similar feelings when I see Ramsey in the pocket, it just looks like a matter of time before he throws an INT which IMO is his only problem (obviously a big one). His INT's have went up every year since he's been in the NFL and this pre-season hasn't shown me anything to suggest that this is going to stop. However last year he was the victim of a very, very poor offensive line, coach, co-ordinator, WR's that didn't want to catch the ball incase HEAVEN FORBID they get hit by a LB!

As i said Ramsey's only flaw for me is the INTs. His arm is clearly strong, shown by the superb and inch perfect throws we've seen him make. Sometimes you just wanna go on the field and give him a hug/slap him in the face (however it is you communicate) and tell him it's YOUR team, your THEIR leader now. Step it up!

Last season he fell victim from not getting plays fast enough. I actually think we could have beat the Eagles @ FedEx Field if it wasn't for us KILLING drives with absolutely needless penalties.

I think the offense has been overhauled and we ain't seen the best of it yet. PORTIS will step it up (If you seen PTI last night you'll know why), JANSEN and SAMUELS back together on the line will and have created huge holes for him. So the running is sorted and should be one of the better ones in the NFL. So passing will be No.2 and he should be able to RELAX and make plays. We have a relatively easy or winnable game to start off so no excuses!

I also don't like the thought of BRUNELL clawing his way back in because of RAMSEY's bad play. I'd only accept it if BRUNELL was flawless in pre-season but he only really showed us the same hand as last year. And he's practically admitted he can't take hit's anymore!

Redskinsno.1
02.09.2005, 04:26 PM
I like Ramsey and agree with gman that his main problem is his INTs and while he is on his last chance i would prefer to see him in at QB that brunell who last year couldn't throw downfield which ramsey can do and also brunell at times was just horrible. Another thing gamn pointed out is that ramsey had no help from the offense last year as we gave away stupid penalties at crucial times of games and has been behind an under-performing line for the past couple of year. I hope the running game does improve as this will take some of the pressure off ramsey and i believe that if that happens he will develop into a good QB

Gman84
02.09.2005, 07:24 PM
As i said Ramsey's only flaw for me is the INTs.
And holding the ball to long.

One sack last night, Samuels has Boulware locked up, but Ramsey held it so long, Boulware got a 2nd chance..........you could have counted to 8 elephant.

Gman84
04.09.2005, 12:08 AM
Cuts time.

Andy Groom won the punters job, I was a little surprised there as I felt they may go with experience in Mohr over youth.

5th round pick Robert McCune was also let go but he hadn't featured much in pre-season and my guess is that he needed to have an impact on special teams which he didn't. I'm glad they kept Khary Campbell though, that guy is a player.

Kevin Dyson went leaving us with a very vertically challenged set of receivers.

Garnell Wilds went at corner, so Ade Jim-oh-no is the 4th CB!

Ron Warner, who played well in spots last year also let go.

Flaming Thumbtack
04.09.2005, 12:31 AM
Cuts time.

Andy Groom won the punters job, I was a little surprised there as I felt they may go with experience in Mohr over youth.

5th round pick Robert McCune was also let go but he hadn't featured much in pre-season and my guess is that he needed to have an impact on special teams which he didn't. I'm glad they kept Khary Campbell though, that guy is a player.

I wouldn't worry. I'd imagine the new guy will get PLENTY of experience this year! ;)

Matti
04.09.2005, 09:36 AM
Cuts time.

I wouldn't worry. I'd imagine the new guy will get PLENTY of experience this year! ;)

Almost funny but not quite, Ramsey will throw the ball into the arms of CBs way too often for any punting to happen anyway ;) - Would av been more insulting.

I quite like McCune but in college his main problem was TE ecspecially the 6ft 4" ones who dwarfed him height and weight wise. He was however very good against the run stuffing up any holes. We're pretty much set at MLB any how

Gman84
04.09.2005, 10:13 AM
well, both are 5th and 6th round picks didn't make it. This upsets me because it shows once again that our FO (or Vinny) can't find gems and cheap labour in the late rounds of the draft. We need to do a better job here.

PaddyRamsey
04.09.2005, 10:16 AM
Bit upset about Dyson, didn't think he looked that bad.

wullie
04.09.2005, 11:20 AM

He has big shoes to fill anyways......Tupa was one of my MVP's last season

Matti
04.09.2005, 03:50 PM
well, both are 5th and 6th round picks didn't make it. This upsets me because it shows once again that our FO (or Vinny) can't find gems and cheap labour in the late rounds of the draft. We need to do a better job here.

Couldn't agree more!

Ecspecially since this year's draft will need to be made up of "wise" choices low down. Needs to be sorted out asap!

Flaming Thumbtack
04.09.2005, 04:11 PM

He has big shoes to fill anyways......Tupa was one of my MVP's last season

A telling statement ;)

CrazyLikeAFox87
04.09.2005, 06:47 PM
I think McCune will end up on the PS along with Wilds, Farris and a couple of others.

I was disappointed and surprised that we cut Wilds - I thought our coaches were quite high on him especially after handling Moss last year.

Also surprised that Mark Wilson was cut. Him and Molinaro were supposed to be Bugel's projects. We need a bit of youth on the O line. Hopefully he'll be on the PS and make the roster next year after Brown retires.