PDA

View Full Version : A new low

sKiNsFaN
27.09.2009, 11:34 PM
It's going to be a long season. The rest of the NFC East must be licking their chops at the thought of playing the Redskins after the debacles of the last two weeks.

That was as gutless a performance as I can remember. The Lions played hard, credit to them for that but this is one Zorn had to win.

pj
28.09.2009, 10:38 AM
Surely now Snyder can see that the coaches just aren't up to the job?

I'm sure nothing will be done before the end of the season though and we will struggle to win 5 games this year.

HX REDSKINS
28.09.2009, 10:45 AM
agreed,its not just zorn..its most if not all our coaches.for far too long its been jobs for the boys.we need a fresh start from top to bottom,older players too need shipping out and lets get some young hungry players in.
easier said than done i know,but you have to dream.

RickySanders
28.09.2009, 11:04 AM
That last play of the game was haunting. Whoever made the decision not to throw to the endzone should be shot. Inept. Woeful. Disgraceful. All those words some up our performances at the moment. We need a FRESH START as noted above. This can't continue. Livid. Snyder won't put up with this surely.

my_friend_goo
28.09.2009, 11:17 AM
Meh, s**t happens. It's undoubtedly embarrassing, but bear in mind that the Skins lost to the 0-2 2009 Detroit Lions, not the 0-16 2008 Detroit Lions. Whilst the 19-game losing streak makes for great media headlines, they are a team that has gone a major overhaul, necessitated by arguably the second lowest low of all time in the NFL. It is likely that the Lions are going to get better over the season, win a few games more (they won't be 1-15, but will they win more than 5 games?)

Barring a dramatic turnaround, what the Redskins need is a spectacular organisational enema in the offseason to flush out the deep-rooted institutional incompetence. To start, Dan Snyder needs to take accountability for the team's performance in the last 10 years. If an uncapped 2010 gives the team the gift of being able to shift overpaid dead weight without having to take the cap blow then all the better, but it'll likely take a new sheriff in town to keep Snyder straight. However, if the results of this season merely lead to another big-name coach, the retention of vinny and a new set of overpaid free agents, then this "new low" may become a common theme.

Addendum: It's not much, but at least we can laugh at the fans of teams the Redskins do beat this season - Ha ha! your team's so crap they couldn't beat the team that couldn't beat the Detroit Lions!

fyodor dostoevsky
28.09.2009, 12:10 PM
Meh, s**t happens. It's undoubtedly embarrassing, but bear in mind that the Skins lost to the 0-2 2009 Detroit Lions, not the 0-16 2008 Detroit Lions. Whilst the 19-game losing streak makes for great media headlines, they are a team that has gone a major overhaul, necessitated by arguably the second lowest low of all time in the NFL. ........

it crossed my mind too watching it last night on the laptop. To think of it as playing a team that 'always loses' misses the point that the last couple of games showed a Lions team that was hanging in over 60 minutes. Losing yes, but with signs of life and progress.

I think we threw one pass at the end zone on the last drive the rest was the usual underneath stuff which is hard to fathom given we had no time outs and the clock under 60 seconds. There are so many things wrong its almost impossible to say where to start.

I dont think I can cope with any more comments here or on ES about how Kelly etc are really going to come through this season at WR (they arent, they are basically no more than average receivers); our D is going to be unplayable apparently (quite clearly total bullsh*t); Haynesworth cant play 60 minutes. We paid huge sums for a huge man that cant go the distance. I cant forget the drive in the first game against the Giants where they dominated so much in the opening two quarters that Haynesworth couldnt stand up any more. Totally unacceptable.

QB - Campbell is 'OK' but that is it. There is not one thing that inspires me about that man. Zero. The look on the sidelines from the team, the look on the face of Zorn as if sometimes he isnt quite understanding what is happening......ground hog day for the last 15+ years.

steblin
28.09.2009, 12:32 PM
Right, I've had a night to let the performance digest, and here are the positives in my mind:

Campbell - I think he looked solid, apart from the fumbilitis that he developed! He was taking some shots down field and I thought he did look better than last week. Not spectacular, but an improvement.

Moss - Was good to see him have a big game! We need those kind of performances from him.

Haynesworth - I know he got dinged up again, but came back in and got himself a sack.

Orakpo - Struggled making tackles in the open field again but looked good off the edge and got himself a sack as well.

Fletcher - Guy is a monster, end of.

Hunter Smith - At last when we punt I can take a break and grab another beer fairly safe in the knowledge nothing terrible will happen :)

After that I'm struggling. I know the offense is still struggling and Zorn's play calling is still questionable, but my BIG gripe at the minute is how ineffective our D has become! The Lions walked ALL OVER us in the first half. Stafford had all day to throw the ball, CB's playing WAY too far off for my liking. At the end of the day this all comes down to Blache. You can not question the talent on the D, but I'm really beginning to dislike the way Blache is running the D.

On the subject of the D, is Smoot actually capable of making an open field tackle? Did you see him get juked out of his shoes by Stafford on that fabled third-and-long?

Quick one for the offense, away from all the passing plays etc, what the heck has happened to our running game? Does anyone else think Portis' ankles are bothering him quite a bit, because at some points where I thought he would bounce is back and make a couple of yards, he just couldn't ... not encouraging!

fyodor dostoevsky
28.09.2009, 02:30 PM
I'd like to agree Steblin but if the best we can come up with regarding a QB that has been behind the ball for 2+ years now and all we can say is that he looked 'solid' then I reckon thats about all we get - on a good day. I think he has fumbled in all three games now (? not sure but certainly two) which is what he was doing the first time he took the field under Gibbs. He had what I thought was a bad INT and should have had another pick when he threw to a short out pattern that would have been returned for a TD.

As for his deep ball, oh he can throw it for miles but there is zero touch on it. Its like an elongated jump ball (a jump ball with Santana aint going to happen). I couldnt help comparing it with a perfectly flighted pass that split the Dolphins DB's by Rivers in the Chargers game later last night.

Haynesworth - the talk was he needed match practice to get his fitness levels up after which we would really see him perform. Well, three games in all we are talking about is how he is starting to look a bit dinged up! not nearly good enough.

No one deserves any positives out of this. This is supposed to be the 'soft' part of our season before the tough second half. Instead we have had a squeaker win against the Rams (GB scored 36 points on them, 'hawks 28 and closed them out to zip) and now lost to the Lions.

Gman84
28.09.2009, 02:45 PM
Check my blog, said my piece there.

wuds100
28.09.2009, 04:26 PM
All is not lost at least Cerrato can work his magic with some high
picks next April!!!!!!!!!!

Britskin
28.09.2009, 05:49 PM
That last play of the game was haunting. Whoever made the decision not to throw to the endzone should be shot. Inept. Woeful. Disgraceful. All those words some up our performances at the moment. We need a FRESH START as noted above. This can't continue. Livid. Snyder won't put up with this surely.

Agreed inexplicable why we did not threw to the end zone.

Last year was the same in third down situations when we kept throwing inside the markers and coming up just short.

sKiNsFaN
28.09.2009, 05:54 PM

Stop it, it hurts when I laugh! :D

I still can't believe how easily our D was manhandled in that first-half. They have been the guys keeping us in games the last couple of years. When they fail, you can forget about it, even against the likes of Detroit.

The safety (was it Landry?) over-committing on the Stafford scramble and completely missing the tackle. Carlos Rogers just giving up on the Johnson TD catch? Not to mention Horton's penalty. Those are HUGE plays to be messing-up on.

steblin
28.09.2009, 06:40 PM
The safety (was it Landry?) over-committing on the Stafford scramble and completely missing the tackle

I thought it was Landry at first, we're so used to seeing him go for the higlight reel hit and missing ;) , but on the replay you see the blur of a number 27 jersey flying past. There was a couple of open field tackles Smoot missed last night.

RickySanders
28.09.2009, 07:39 PM
Fred Smoot in not the Fred Smoot of pre-loveboat. He lost the ability to tackle, whether he lost it in Minnesota or on the love-boat itself is down for decision.

sKiNsFaN
28.09.2009, 09:31 PM
I thought it was Landry at first, we're so used to seeing him go for the higlight reel hit and missing ;) , but on the replay you see the blur of a number 27 jersey flying past. There was a couple of open field tackles Smoot missed last night.

Ah, ok. So Smoot ran all the way from the other side of the field to get juked by Matthew Stafford? That's actually marginally worse than Landry coming in from deep to get juked by Matthew Stafford. Groan..

bullterrier1
28.09.2009, 09:35 PM
What the hell was that last play all about, just seconds left and we dont throw into the endzone!!!! looks like we are heading for another mediocre season. very depressing

BAZILBARRY
28.09.2009, 10:12 PM
We suck,plain and simple.

Iggy
29.09.2009, 01:48 PM

As if by magic his next trick is to disappear from fedex field!!

wuds100
30.09.2009, 11:58 AM
As if by magic his next trick is to disappear from fedex field!!

That would make me believe in magic.

lochhibs
30.09.2009, 10:31 PM
im seriously worried.after having high hopes for the season we are 3 games in and i dont see a playoff team this year.no running gane,question marks in the back field and play calling that can only be called ridiculous.big game this week.a loss to a poor bucs side would be more shocking than the lions loss(who are an improving team).maybe wouldnt be a bad thing to lose to the bucs.its clear things arent right.changes need to be made.how many i dont know but why wait if we look like we wont make the playoffs.

tyreldo
01.10.2009, 10:34 AM
In our division as well. No hope. We have overpaid players that don't appear to have the hunger or spirit of those busting to get a deal or make a name for themselves. Smoot has been a disappointment for a few years now and on occasion he bottles tackles (unlike Landry) and then when he makes one he gets hurt. Is it me or is DeAngelo Hall really up to the hype? His rookie season at Atlanta was good but since then? I look at teams around the league with slight envy such as the Bengals and 49ers who can move the ball - let's face it - we haven't had a decent offence for years. Remember the play-off game against the Bucs that we won with about 120 yards of total offence? This is nothing new and is showing no sign of changing. What to do?!? Keep watching and hoping I guess. Next year will just bring more big name under-achievers I fear - and then what? When will we draft a Chris Johnson or Marion Barber? We're paying for the draft picks that have been traded away over the last few years big time.

Riggo
03.10.2009, 08:23 PM
I was on vacation last week and missed the debacle. The mood here in DC is:

a) The season is over.
b) Is Zorn fired immediatley if he loses to the bucs:
c) Is Zorn fired at the bye week or the end of the season.
d) Dan and Vinnie must go!