View Full Version : Zorn possible replacements

wuds100
29.09.2009, 09:50 AM
Next week defeat to the Buccs a good rushing team who if they
score 17 or over will probably do it and will surely end Zorns tenure,
In this event we will need a Head Coach, O-Coorodinator and a Playcaller,
La Canfora on NFL.com has pointed out that the fact that Zorn is covering
so much and the fact that there is nobody underneath him ready to promote
leaves him in a strong position, Shanahan is the name being mooted if he gets sacked.

my_friend_goo
29.09.2009, 12:42 PM
Forget speculation on Zorn's replacement. What is needed is a sensible GM. Ideally, a successful head coach with a good eye for personnel (see Parcells in Miami, even if this season hasn't been as good as last) or the second in command (or first if you can pull them away) at a perennially successful organisation. Have them analyse the scouting crew and keep on anybody good, calling in people they trust to complement. Analyse the team and work out who is worth keeping, who needs to go and establish a direction and identity for this team. Then, pick a coach who fits.

The attitude of "Zorn failed, let's see what this guy can do for this team", with the added bonus of a few extra stars is only going to perpetuate the already existing cycle of mediocrity.

Gman84
29.09.2009, 01:40 PM
Forget speculation on Zorn's replacement. What is needed is a sensible GM. Ideally, a successful head coach with a good eye for personnel (see Parcells in Miami, even if this season hasn't been as good as last) or the second in command (or first if you can pull them away) at a perennially successful organisation. Have them analyse the scouting crew and keep on anybody good, calling in people they trust to complement. Analyse the team and work out who is worth keeping, who needs to go and establish a direction and identity for this team. Then, pick a coach who fits.

The attitude of "Zorn failed, let's see what this guy can do for this team", with the added bonus of a few extra stars is only going to perpetuate the already existing cycle of mediocrity.

I'd go along with this train of thought. Zorn might well be a dead duck but he may as well be allowed to see out the nightmare. Changing coaches mid-season is near impossible unless you appoint an interim who can run the same systems.

My dearest hope in Zorn's failure (unless he performs a miracle turnaround, I'm not holding my breath) is that Vinny Cerrato, as a big Zorn supporter, gets the blame and the clear out is from top to bottom. Snyder needs to hire the best football brain in the business and let him run the operation from top to bottom, selecting coaches, players, everything. Until he does this the Redskins are locked in a vicious circle and will never escape it.

Iggy
29.09.2009, 01:45 PM
I'd go along with this train of thought. Zorn might well be a dead duck but he may as well be allowed to see out the nightmare. Changing coaches mid-season is near impossible unless you appoint an interim who can run the same systems.

My dearest hope in Zorn's failure (unless he performs a miracle turnaround, I'm not holding my breath) is that Vinny Cerrato, as a big Zorn supporter, gets the blame and the clear out is from top to bottom. Snyder needs to hire the best football brain in the business and let him run the operation from top to bottom, selecting coaches, players, everything. Until he does this the Redskins are locked in a vicious circle and will never escape it.

I feel the same too. You can't expect a change unless you take more action tha replacing zorn. Snyder needs to look at what miami and detroit have done. Not just a new head coach but a review of the whole organisation and start again. Take a year zero approach and bring in a bloody big broom! Sweep away all the old and dead stuff and bring in staff who can start afresh!!

skinsfan.uk
02.10.2009, 05:23 PM
I'm on 3 months notice in my contract so I can start at the end of the season.

Riggo
03.10.2009, 08:36 PM

That's the amazing part, how has Snyder not made front office moves?
He's been in charge for:
2 Norv seasons
1 Marty season (madness to let him go)
2 Spurrier seasons (madness to hire him)
4 Gibbs seasons (slight upturn with 2 playoff appearances)
2 Zorn seasons

The redskins have been a miserable team for 11 seasons now under Snyder and Vinnie and Snyder has seen fit to make 4 head coaching changes and 0 GM firings.

Unbelievable.

When Snyder hired Zorn I thought: That's it...the organization has become as bad as the Raiders and no serious candidates will take the job.

sKiNsFaN
03.10.2009, 11:25 PM
I feel the same too. You can't expect a change unless you take more action tha replacing zorn. Snyder needs to look at what miami and detroit have done. Not just a new head coach but a review of the whole organisation and start again. Take a year zero approach and bring in a bloody big broom! Sweep away all the old and dead stuff and bring in staff who can start afresh!!

Agree with the sentiment but it's not even like the Redskins have been as bad on the field as those teams! We were a playoff side in '07 before stuttering to 8-8 and narrowly missing out last time around.

There must be some reason noone wants to coach the Washington Redskins.. :rolleyes:

HX REDSKINS
04.10.2009, 10:51 AM
Vinny Cerrato has to go for me,hes to blame as much as zorn.
the chances of him going are probably not very good as he's snyders puppet.
agree with most posts,it needs a clean up from top to bottom and lets start again.

south_sky
04.10.2009, 06:43 PM
Can't disagree with what's been said about Cerrato, Snyder etc. Zorn will just be (yet another) fall guy.

And add this one to the long list of Redskins mysteries: why has Portis got such a long contract? The "life expectancy" of RBs in terms of decent production is probably only 2-3 years these days. Yes Portis was once one of the elite, but you'd have to be blind to think the guy can keep on going at the same level with the injuries he's had - especially as he's been carrying the team these last few years.

Of course there are massive problems with the O-line as well. I don't rate Betts at all. We should be a run-first team, so why not bring in a few young RBs? Sometimes a new guy fresh out of the draft can have a massive impact.

Harwich Hog
06.10.2009, 11:01 PM
Can't disagree with what's been said about Cerrato, Snyder etc. Zorn will just be (yet another) fall guy.

And add this one to the long list of Redskins mysteries: why has Portis got such a long contract? The "life expectancy" of RBs in terms of decent production is probably only 2-3 years these days. Yes Portis was once one of the elite, but you'd have to be blind to think the guy can keep on going at the same level with the injuries he's had - especially as he's been carrying the team these last few years.

Of course there are massive problems with the O-line as well. I don't rate Betts at all. We should be a run-first team, so why not bring in a few young RBs? Sometimes a new guy fresh out of the draft can have a massive impact.

I'm of the opinion that outside of a core group of elite running backs at the top of the game (a group which Portis no longer belongs), RBs are "a dime a dozen", and that the rest can be achieved with decent blocking. Unless you're drafting another Adrian Peterson I would always draft Offensive Line first - particularly in the position the Redskins find themselves.

If we finish with a sub 0.500 record in 2009 it provides a good opportunity to pick up a first-rate OT in 2010. Stick him in at RT until Samuels retires and get him to switch sides. If that doesn't happen a decent long-term RT can be found in the second (Jon Jansen was a second round pick I believe) and LT can be addressed in 2011. I've been encouraged by Rinehart's play in his first two starts enough not to panic about the OG position right now. That is kinda indicative of the Redskins attitude in the draft though. Most teams use mid-round picks to draft linemen for decent depth - the Redskins use these picks and rely on them to become starters.

We should have first and second round picks in 2010 - i'm hoping we draft OT, OLB and sign the best available FA Center. That way we can move Orakpo to DE full-time and move Heyer back to backup LT where he belongs. How much better would a brand new RT make our offensive line look?

Boltonian
07.10.2009, 10:15 PM
Agree with most of your points Harwich Hog,what the Redskins in my opinion need to
become a force in the NFCE is, a Coach, QB, RT,C, No'2 WR, SLB, Orakpo at DE,
MLB(a shock ,but Fletcher is getting up in years), which for me means 7 players out
of 22 starters, which isn't good enough and worryingly 5 out of the 7 are from the
offensive side of the ball.

liverbirdpie
11.10.2009, 10:08 PM
The frightening thing is, we are 2-3 for 73 points and have only really played the Giants. The team is devoid of any confidence, no one believes in Campbell making a difference, Portis can run all day but again has little help from the line at the moment. Campbell gets little pocket protection, and no one has faith in him when he does get time. He has a massive amount of pressure on him, and being fair to him, thats been created from within mainly because if it were possible Snyder, Zorn and Cerrato would have all included their mothers in trades to get a Sanchez or a Cutler in the off season. They would of even got their hands on Vick if they could, and still might for First Round Pick.

Very shakey ground, but as mentioed in a previous post, sit it out til the end of the season and if needs be, let a new coach make the changes he wants in the off season, maybe even

Csonka#39
11.10.2009, 10:15 PM
I'll do it. . well why not I could prob do better than Zorn has. .