PDA

View Full Version : Horton benched

RickySanders
01.10.2009, 07:13 PM
Reed Doughty has reclaimed the SS spot from Chris Horton......dunno wot to say.....

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4522751

ASHBURN, Va. -- The Washington Redskins are switching their starting strong safety, giving Reed Doughty the job and demoting Chris Horton.

Defensive coordinator Greg Blache also says Thursday there will be strategic changes when Washington (1-2) hosts the Tampa Bay Buccaneers (0-3) this weekend, with a more "maverick" approach.

The Redskins' defense ranks last in the NFL in third-down conversions, allowing opponents to convert 51 percent of the time.

Doughty, a fourth-year player, hasn't started a game since Oct. 5, 2008; he missed most of last season with a back injury.

Horton replaced Doughty in the lineup and started 10 games in 2008 as a rookie. Horton also started the first three games this season, although Doughty did get playing time, too

sKiNsFaN
02.10.2009, 12:20 AM
Reed Doughty has reclaimed the SS spot from Chris Horton......dunno wot to say.....

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4522751

ASHBURN, Va. -- The Washington Redskins are switching their starting strong safety, giving Reed Doughty the job and demoting Chris Horton.

Defensive coordinator Greg Blache also says Thursday there will be strategic changes when Washington (1-2) hosts the Tampa Bay Buccaneers (0-3) this weekend, with a more "maverick" approach.

The Redskins' defense ranks last in the NFL in third-down conversions, allowing opponents to convert 51 percent of the time.

Doughty, a fourth-year player, hasn't started a game since Oct. 5, 2008; he missed most of last season with a back injury.

Horton replaced Doughty in the lineup and started 10 games in 2008 as a rookie. Horton also started the first three games this season, although Doughty did get playing time, too

'Strategic reasons'.. 'maverick approach'.. hmm.. I must see this! I can't imagine a defensive scheme where Reed is a better fit than Horton.

steblin
02.10.2009, 11:37 AM
I know Reed has made some really solid plays whenever he has been on the field and looks much better now hes recovered from last years injuries, but still came as quite a shock! I certainly don't think Horton has been playing badly...

Also, I've read the articles about Blache taking the blame for the D against the Lions, admitting he maybe should have been more aggresive with his playcalling etc etc - To be honest I'll believe it when I see it, and if we are aggresive I doubt there will be anything clever or subtle about it.

Iggy
02.10.2009, 12:07 PM
this seems to be a roll of the dice, a real gamble! i didn't think horton was playing badly either.

citizenstu
02.10.2009, 01:02 PM
Doughty is the "safe" option surely - solid but not necessarily spectacular; Horton is the "maverick" who might overcommit and blow coverage from time to time but will also put himself about more and make things happen.

Is this more about Blache making changes to 'prove' he's learning from past mistakes? After all, where else on the field can Blache make changes - we're weak at depth for linebacker and CBs and he's not going to change at DT in a hurry. Maybe you could give Wynn the start at DE if you needed to change there, otherwise Doughty is probably the best back-up we have. I think.

pj
02.10.2009, 01:06 PM
In other words.. "i'm looking for a scapegoat to cover for my inept playcalling" :rolleyes:

wuds100
02.10.2009, 01:11 PM
Horton was our best player vs the Rams did not see enough of the
Lions game thankfully but it seems he is a easy target being a second
year player.

citizenstu
02.10.2009, 01:13 PM
In other words.. "i'm looking for a scapegoat to cover for my inept playcalling" :rolleyes:

Excellent - I've never been good at succinct.

To give Blache a bit of credit though, at least he's having a look at changing things. We're as bad (if not worse) at offensive play calling and Zorn still thinks we're a good team.

skinsfan.uk
02.10.2009, 05:21 PM
To be fair we have to change SOMETHING given the defensive woes, but I do not see that Horton is the biggest problem. If not him bein benched though, then who? I think he is the easiest scapegoat when others, including Hall and Rogers, have played to a lesser standard than Horton. On the plus side Horton does seem the type of person who will react well to this and step up.

pj
03.10.2009, 08:59 AM
To be fair we have to change SOMETHING given the defensive woes, but I do not see that Horton is the biggest problem. If not him bein benched though, then who? I think he is the easiest scapegoat when others, including Hall and Rogers, have played to a lesser standard than Horton. On the plus side Horton does seem the type of person who will react well to this and step up.

I don't think anyone needs to be benched the coaching just needs to be improved. First off the 7-10 yard cushions the corners give on every play are unacceptable and Zorn even mentioned it last week yet nothing was changed in the Lions game.

Orakpo has to be playing at DE. There are still a few decent FA backers out there that we could pick up to allow for Orakpo to move where he will be most effective and it might allow us to be a bit more agressive.

The_Hangman
03.10.2009, 09:23 AM
Yup, agree with that Orakpo should be moved to DE full time.

I would look at trading Landry and Carter for picks in 2010 and let the re-building commence.

Harwich Hog
06.10.2009, 11:18 PM
Yup, agree with that Orakpo should be moved to DE full time.

I would look at trading Landry and Carter for picks in 2010 and let the re-building commence.

I don't think Horton being benched is quite as clear-cut as that. He still sees the field (enough to recover the fumble at the end of the game) and I think Blache has a fetish for safety packages so they rotate a fair bit. There'll be teams where Horton is the better choice at SS and games where we're better off going with Reed.

I still Horton is the better player but it's no coincidence he was a 7th round pick. He has alot of weaknesses and they can be exploited. But the dude is a playmaker. The only thing Reed has on him is consistency.

Also - I don't Landry has THAT much trade value. I doubt we'd recoup as good a player as him with the pick we're given for him.

RickySanders
07.10.2009, 10:07 AM
..... and I think Blache has a fetish for safety packages.

Quote of the week goes to Harwich Hog!

Harwich Hog
07.10.2009, 04:11 PM
Quote of the week goes to Harwich Hog!

Score!! :)

Spartan Off.Tackle
09.10.2009, 07:48 PM
Completely disagree with Orakpo at end.

We already have one undersized end who gets ragdolled in the run game. He is absolutely an outside LB in the pro game - need to look elsewhere (FA or high pick)

Gman84
09.10.2009, 08:23 PM
As long as I've been a Redskins fan they have run the 4-3 defense but in the off-season I am quite keen for them to consider moving to a 3-4. Haynesworth can handle the NT job and maybe see a few snaps at DE, guys like Lorenzo Alexander and Jeremy Jarmon look good fits as 5 technique ends and Orakpo could then be the edge rusher which is a role I think he'd excel in. I also think Rocky McIntosh inside could be Barl Scott-like against the run although some changes would have to happen including the likely end of Andre Carter and London Fletcher's Redskins careers.

I do think the 3-4 is the way to go, linebackers are getting bigger and more athletic and uite a few of the guys we have seem good fits. Food for thought anyway.

The_Hangman
09.10.2009, 11:33 PM
As long as I've been a Redskins fan they have run the 4-3 defense but in the off-season I am quite keen for them to consider moving to a 3-4. Haynesworth can handle the NT job and maybe see a few snaps at DE, guys like Lorenzo Alexander and Jeremy Jarmon look good fits as 5 technique ends and Orakpo could then be the edge rusher which is a role I think he'd excel in. I also think Rocky McIntosh inside could be Barl Scott-like against the run although some changes would have to happen including the likely end of Andre Carter and London Fletcher's Redskins careers.

I do think the 3-4 is the way to go, linebackers are getting bigger and more athletic and uite a few of the guys we have seem good fits. Food for thought anyway.

I agree with this.

Redskinsno.1
10.10.2009, 12:32 PM

http://neurotalk.psychcentral.com/images/smiliesb/Good-Post.gif

Spartan Off.Tackle
10.10.2009, 08:12 PM
Haynesworth is a great DT but no way is he a 2 gap NT

Jarmon possibly, absolutely no way is Alexander a 3-4 end

The personnel we have fits the 4-3, the defense would need a major overhaul to fit to 3-4 and we would have to have a 3-4 DC arrive

Gman84
11.10.2009, 07:19 PM
Haynesworth is a great DT but no way is he a 2 gap NT

Jarmon possibly, absolutely no way is Alexander a 3-4 end

The personnel we have fits the 4-3, the defense would need a major overhaul to fit to 3-4 and we would have to have a 3-4 DC arrive

Shaun Rogers and Kris Jenkins are examples of great 4-3 DT's who have successfully made the "move" to NT. Haynesworth is used to double teams and can penetrate so I think he can make the move. I don't get how Alexander is "absolutely no way" a 3-4 end - he's as versatile a player as we have and has played end and DT.

As for an overhaul and new DC, both are likely to happen. Blache is gone if Zorn goes and guys like Fletcher, Carter, Griffin and Daniels are possibly in their last year with the franchise. Carter and Griffin have poison pill contracts, Daniels will be 37 and Fletcher is getting on and may be sacrificed for a fresh start. Golston and Montgomery are both free agents (restricted if no new CBA).

Spartan Off.Tackle
11.10.2009, 08:19 PM
Shaun Rogers and Kris Jenkins are examples of great 4-3 DT's who have successfully made the "move" to NT. Haynesworth is used to double teams and can penetrate so I think he can make the move. I don't get how Alexander is "absolutely no way" a 3-4 end - he's as versatile a player as we have and has played end and DT.

As for an overhaul and new DC, both are likely to happen. Blache is gone if Zorn goes and guys like Fletcher, Carter, Griffin and Daniels are possibly in their last year with the franchise. Carter and Griffin have poison pill contracts, Daniels will be 37 and Fletcher is getting on and may be sacrificed for a fresh start. Golston and Montgomery are both free agents (restricted if no new CBA).

Being used to double teams and can penetrate is a whole different ballgame to the core responsibilites of a nose in a 0

I will stand by my statement regarding both Alexander and Haynesworth

IF a new DC arrives he will need to be a 3-4 guy - most favour the 40 front. You are looking at not only a complete overhaul up front but in our linebacker corps too. I really can't see it happening