PDA

View Full Version : 2009 - 1/4 season evaluation

Riggo
04.10.2009, 07:57 PM
I was expecting a confident 3-1 record at this point, and 2-2 might not look too awful...but I've never seen a crappier 2-2 team before.

steblin
04.10.2009, 08:09 PM
I was expecting a confident 3-1 record at this point, and 2-2 might not look too awful...but I've never seen a crappier 2-2 team before.

The offense played for the 3rd Quarter today, the defense stepped up in the second half and played better.

I agree though, we've won two games, but I don't feel like we've won two games. Our running game is non-existant, Campbell is getting decent stats but is not playing well, no matter what the stats say. Young receivers are doing nothing so far etc etc.

We will be last in the NFC East, without a doubt, scratching wins against the Bucs and Rams is no preparation for divisional games.

south_sky
04.10.2009, 08:18 PM
Agreed - we are going to get spanked by the Eagles, Cowboys, Giants or anyone half decent or tough. Against a good D-line, I can't see us getting any rushing yards.
It seems that Moss and Cooley are carrying the team at the moment.

What do you make of Campbell? I find it hard to tell how good he is, because he never gets all that much time to throw. He doesn't have much "poise" IMHO, although he did manage a great long pass today to Moss so perhaps I am being a bit unfair on him.

My worry is that they'll grind out a few wins that will paper over the chasm-like cracks in just about everything.

After watching the Skins win superbowls years ago), it's really galling to see the likes of Tampa and even Arizona come good and we are still rubbish (OK Tampa have gone back to being rubbish again!) I'm starting to wonder if I'll see a decent Skins team ever again :-(

Gman84
04.10.2009, 09:29 PM
We play the Chiefs and Raoders, we might win those two, 4-12 is possible. Any better and I'll be surprised.

This might be the worst Redskins team I have ever seen. The Petitibon year went bad quickly but he was killed by injuries, the beginning of free agency and an aging roster. Year one of Norv was bad but it was a completely revamped roster and at least Gus Frerotte gave us some (false) hope that season. This team has talent right through the roster and is desperately under-performing.

I hope in going badly pear shaped this season finally sees a change in attitude and style right through the franchise.

my_friend_goo
04.10.2009, 10:16 PM
What do you make of Campbell? I find it hard to tell how good he is, because he never gets all that much time to throw. He doesn't have much "poise" IMHO, although he did manage a great long pass today to Moss so perhaps I am being a bit unfair on him.

The main criticisms seem to be his poor accuracy on deep throws, slow release, missing of open receivers (possibly because he locks on to his other receivers too early), and sometimes failure to step up in the pocket. He fumbles a snap at least once a game, too, which at his level of experience is completely unacceptable.

Suspect he'll be another one of those "we'll never know"s. Poor protection and receivers he can't trust make it hard for him to even be a game manager (as opposed to a stud) at times.

sKiNsFaN
04.10.2009, 11:19 PM
The main criticisms seem to be his poor accuracy on deep throws, slow release, missing of open receivers (possibly because he locks on to his other receivers too early), and sometimes failure to step up in the pocket. He fumbles a snap at least once a game, too, which at his level of experience is completely unacceptable.

Yes, but apart from those things, he's pretty good right? :p

lochhibs
04.10.2009, 11:35 PM
after 4 games 2-2 is flattering.2 wins against poor sides makes things look better than they are.wont go over all the negatives again but on the plus side there is room for improvement.like gman said,there is talent there but its time to produce the goods.secondary need to make plays or i feel we could take some big losses to teams who throw the ball a lot.imo its going to be a long season.

citizenstu
05.10.2009, 01:52 PM
I'm starting to wonder if I'll see a decent Skins team ever again :-(

Snyder can't live forever, so the team's got to change hands sometime.

Iggy
05.10.2009, 03:10 PM
Snyder can't live forever, so the team's got to change hands sometime.

i guess that means we only have to wait about 50ish years as Snyder only turns 44 in november!!!

citizenstu
05.10.2009, 03:39 PM
i guess that means we only have to wait about 50ish years as Snyder only turns 44 in november!!!

Yep - he's got 10ish years on me, so I've a reasonable chance of 1 or 2 half decent seasons before I die. Unless I go under a bus or something.

VABrit
05.10.2009, 06:54 PM
I was at your game v the Bucs yesterday. I have to be critical - it was the worst NFL game I have ever been to. Two bad teams heading the wrong way. I did like that Portis gave it his all. In fairness to Zorn it looks like he makes enough half-time adjustments to pull something out in the second half. I much say though the fans were awful at the game. I understand your frustration but the booing was ridiculous!! Though I did start some myself just for my own amusement! The fans were really on the back of Zorn, many running to the tunnel to shout at the team as they left the field at the half.

Finally, was impressed with Fletcher - a very good leader for some on D

citizenstu
06.10.2009, 10:15 AM
Well before I weigh in, I'd just like to say I prefer to cheer when things go well and stay silent when they don't at sports events....

....that said, when you've suffered for years and Campbell continues to lose/turn over the ball, which has been a problem this year, do you not think a paying fan has the right to vent frustration? Even the legend that is Sonny Jurgensen thought Zorn should bench Campbell at the half.

If you tried shouting "Hey Zorn, bench Campbell" I doubt you'd be heard. Therefore co-ordinated booing seems the only choice.

Incidentally, I don't think Collins is the answer.

redskin1976
06.10.2009, 01:56 PM
No matter how bad things get id never boo a team i love, it does not help the players and it makes the fans look fickle believe me ive witnessed this first hand.

Redskinsno.1
06.10.2009, 05:25 PM
Yep - he's got 10ish years on me, so I've a reasonable chance of 1 or 2 half decent seasons before I die. Unless I go under a bus or something.

Or the skins have driven you to suicide ;)

Boltonian
06.10.2009, 07:57 PM
2 things to say about the subject,

Sack Zorn now(he is like a fish out of water as a coach).

Bench Campbell(will never be a starting QB as long as he's got a hole in his A--S).

P.S. Redskinsno.1, are you still going to fed-ex this year or are you coming
out with me and rog next year.

Harwich Hog
06.10.2009, 11:12 PM
I have to say I predicted a 10-6 before the season starts. Now looking at those numbers reversing.

6-10/7-9 is my new call. I can see us losing to one of the Chiefs or Raiders and beating a team like the Broncos and Chargers, just because that's what the Redskins are like. I think we'll also beat the Saints as I think our defence matches up well with their offence. Blache 3-safety and dime and nickel defences all day and nullified them well. I think we'll go 2-4 in the division, splitting it with the Cowboys and Eagles home and away and then lose to the Giants at Fedex.

Redskinsno.1
07.10.2009, 04:10 PM
2 things to say about the subject,

Sack Zorn now(he is like a fish out of water as a coach).

Bench Campbell(will never be a starting QB as long as he's got a hole in his A--S).

P.S. Redskinsno.1, are you still going to fed-ex this year or are you coming
out with me and rog next year.

Joining you and Rog again next year. Was talking to him the other day and we are thinking of going for a bit longer next year.