PDA

View Full Version : Samuels possibly out for Season.....and for good!

The_Hangman
15.10.2009, 06:23 PM
http://voices.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/jason-reid/the-strain-is-showing-in-ashbu.html?wprss=redskinsinsider

I almost hope he retires. He has been a great servant and would hate to see him suffer a permanent injury.

On the playing side, we're boned :(

steblin
15.10.2009, 07:05 PM
Yeah I read this, the injury certainly isn't sounding great at the moment, but he is a great servant to the club, and he needs to look after his long term health.

Now our o-line looks like this:

LT - Heyer
LG - Dockery
C - Rabach
RG - Montgomery
RT - Williams

I don't know about everyone else, I'm not feeling too confident ...

RickySanders
15.10.2009, 07:14 PM
Yeah I read this, the injury certainly isn't sounding great at the moment, but he is a great servant to the club, and he needs to look after his long term health.

Now our o-line looks like this:

LT - Heyer
LG - Dockery
C - Rabach
RG - Montgomery
RT - Williams

I don't know about everyone else, I'm not feeling too confident ...

Same here.....not confident at all guys. Think we can look forward to a high draft pick next year, with the possibility of JC getting killed mid-season.

liverbirdpie
15.10.2009, 07:58 PM
Same here.....not confident at all guys. Think we can look forward to a high draft pick next year, with the possibility of JC getting killed mid-season.

Well, atleast theres a bright side :D

The_Hangman
15.10.2009, 09:20 PM
I see in some quarters, they are expecting Samuels to be evntually inducted into the Hal of Fame.

I personally don't think he is a shoe-in, especially given the 'skins lack of success, but he certainly merits mention.

Thoughts?

RickySanders
16.10.2009, 08:41 AM
I see in some quarters, they are expecting Samuels to be evntually inducted into the Hal of Fame.

I personally don't think he is a shoe-in, especially given the 'skins lack of success, but he certainly merits mention.

Thoughts?

Samuels is definitely worthy of a mention due to his 'stalwart' status to the Redskins Franchise and the number of Pro Bowls he has attended. To me, a HoF induction is Questionable though. SuperBowl Rings = 0, and I'd also be interested to learn the Redskins W-L ratio whilst Samuels has been fixed in the LT position.

I think he has been an excellent player for the Skins, but as for HoF, maybe falls just short.

Spartan Off.Tackle
16.10.2009, 06:25 PM
There is a difference between being a great player and being one of the best of the many tens of thousands of guys who have played a specific position over the long and storied history of the NFL

For me Samuels is not by any means a Hall of Fame quality player. Thats not to deride his very high level of play over the last few years and his services to the Washington Redskins however.

Gman84
16.10.2009, 07:50 PM
There is a difference between being a great player and being one of the best of the many tens of thousands of guys who have played a specific position over the long and storied history of the NFL

For me Samuels is not by any means a Hall of Fame quality player. Thats not to deride his very high level of play over the last few years and his services to the Washington Redskins however.

For me, Jim Lachey was more talented, Samuels is a fine player but he was never "the" best LT in the game and although he made 6 pro bowls, a couple were on rep (last season been one, he missed near half of it). However, he has been a superb player for the franchise in a time of constant change and I don't think you'll find a more mobile offensive lineman around, the man could get down field really quick. I always remember the screen pass Santana Moss took 78 yard versus the Chiefs a few years back and Samuels was out there near the sideline throwing the crucial block!

Spartan Off.Tackle
16.10.2009, 08:18 PM
For me, Jim Lachey was more talented, Samuels is a fine player but he was never "the" best LT in the game and although he made 6 pro bowls, a couple were on rep (last season been one, he missed near half of it). However, he has been a superb player for the franchise in a time of constant change and I don't think you'll find a more mobile offensive lineman around, the man could get down field really quick. I always remember the screen pass Santana Moss took 78 yard versus the Chiefs a few years back and Samuels was out there near the sideline throwing the crucial block!

Agreed

Jim Lachey is the best left tackle to play in Washington,period

Riggo
22.10.2009, 08:17 PM
Shame about Samuels, it is easy to take his stead play for granted.

HOF, hmmmm, I generally keep people out of the hall unless they are absolute superstars for their position.

I think a HOF OT would have to have really long career if he's not going to be a part of a perennial playoff team. It is hard to capture mind share when nobody sees you play, and the best way to be seen is part of a team that plays at least two playoff games every year.

steblin
23.10.2009, 10:21 PM
It's looking like Samuels will retire in the next few days:

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/

Pretty much what we all thought, but still sad to read it. I'm glad he had the sense to walk away with his health and take care of his family.

Bit spot to fill on that o-line and in the locker room, true Redskin

liverbirdpie
24.10.2009, 05:55 AM
Just read the same on twitter steb, real shame but glad to see him putting his health first.