PDA

View Full Version : The future of the QB Position

Gman84
19.10.2009, 12:02 PM
I guess like me, man of you are frustrated this team never has consistency at the triggerman spot. In my 25 years as a fan, the closest we have got is Mark Rypien who mheld the spot for 5 years but only ever really had one good (well, great) season. We've had the odd spot here and there, Brad Johnson in 1999 for example but otherwise it is more or less a position in constant flux.

So, what does the future hold. I guess it would depend on the next Head Coach, or possibly the next GM (please!) but lets look at the options:

The current QB's - Jason Campbell got his death warrant signed yesterday, Todd Collins is 100 and ok as a back-up but belongs to Al Saunders. Colt Brennan is likely to be released off IR I believe and is not an NFL QB IMO, from far to raw a system.

High draft pick - Sam Bradford reinjured himself this week, not sure what his status for the rest of the year is but he is the big name to watch for. Others include the rising Jake Locker and Jimmy Clause or the previously highly rated Jevan Snead who is struggling some this year.

The retreads - Make a trade for Matt Leinart, Brady Quinn, Alex Smith or the like?

The veterans - they'll be a few guys around the market this coming year, Chad Pennington is proven although injury prone and then there is the ultimate wild card in Mike Vick.

Personally, I think you go with two options - I'd strongly consider one of the college QB's, assuming we pick in the top 5, Bradford or Clause could be the ones. Then, I'd look at someone like Chad Pennington to babysit the spot for a year.

Thoughts? Am I been premature in this line of thinking?

sKiNsFaN
19.10.2009, 12:51 PM
It seems like it just wouldn't be DC without a quarterback controversy but this time the issue is less, "Doug/Jay?" more, "Draft/FA?"

The 'Skins are at a critical juncture here. Six games in, neither Campbell nor Collins would appear to have a future in Washington and they're the only two passers on the depth chart.

Shame the o-line is so bad, we could opt to run our very own Wildcat -or 'Wildskin' - for the duration. Randle El and Portis both throw nice spirals and might actually get us a TD or two, which is better than we're doing right now.

wuds100
19.10.2009, 02:37 PM
I am of the opinion that we should throw everything we have at the O-Line,
Selecting Tackle in the first round then Guard/Center in the second,
I would also consider trying to trade for extra picks with possibly Rogers or maybe
D Hall (If he continues to get more highlight INTs someone might bite) they may
get us another second rounder, At the QB position I would let JC cut his own throat
between now and the end of the season and possibly look to trade him in a swap
deal for another back up QB someone like Leftwitch or Culpepper (Beggars cant be choosers) who could come in for a season or two, I would look at the draft after (2011)
to go for a QB where we will probably still be picking quite high.

Crazy87
19.10.2009, 06:53 PM
I admit I've not seen much of Colt apart from last year's preseason when he looked quite good, but how do you come to the conclusion that he's not an NFL standard QB when he's not been given a chance yet?

Ok, reports did tend to suggest that he hadn't made much progress in 2009 preseason and was struggling to beat out Chase Daniel, but how much of that was down to his injury?

I'd like to see him back in TC next year and competing for #1 or #2. Never have been convinced by Campbell but Collins is not the answer. I guess the FO agree with this, that's why they tried to get Cutler and Sanchez.

It's got to be draft.

Spartan Off.Tackle
19.10.2009, 07:02 PM
I guess like me, man of you are frustrated this team never has consistency at the triggerman spot. In my 25 years as a fan, the closest we have got is Mark Rypien who mheld the spot for 5 years but only ever really had one good (well, great) season. We've had the odd spot here and there, Brad Johnson in 1999 for example but otherwise it is more or less a position in constant flux.

So, what does the future hold. I guess it would depend on the next Head Coach, or possibly the next GM (please!) but lets look at the options:

The current QB's - Jason Campbell got his death warrant signed yesterday, Todd Collins is 100 and ok as a back-up but belongs to Al Saunders. Colt Brennan is likely to be released off IR I believe and is not an NFL QB IMO, from far to raw a system.

High draft pick - Sam Bradford reinjured himself this week, not sure what his status for the rest of the year is but he is the big name to watch for. Others include the rising Jake Locker and Jimmy Clause or the previously highly rated Jevan Snead who is struggling some this year.

The retreads - Make a trade for Matt Leinart, Brady Quinn, Alex Smith or the like?

The veterans - they'll be a few guys around the market this coming year, Chad Pennington is proven although injury prone and then there is the ultimate wild card in Mike Vick.

Personally, I think you go with two options - I'd strongly consider one of the college QB's, assuming we pick in the top 5, Bradford or Clause could be the ones. Then, I'd look at someone like Chad Pennington to babysit the spot for a year.

Thoughts? Am I been premature in this line of thinking?

No you are not, and we trade up to get the highest rated QB by the time the draft rolls around

Can see no point in having another babysitter

Have been watching the Skins since 82, basically Theismann to 85, then an inconsistent Schroeder,an aged Doug Williams, and since then Rypien is the only one who held the job for a period and he had plenty of critics.

The least said about most of the guys who have started for us since the better.......

liverbirdpie
19.10.2009, 07:54 PM
I think first round pick has to be QB. The OL can be sorted out through Free Agency and the rest of the draft, provided the front office get their acts together (or their p45's). There should be some real talents come through this year and to pass up on Clausen, McCoy, Bradford would for my opinion just be a regretable mistake.

Sanchez and Stafford are doing alright, and will get better with time. Sanchez is through 1000 yards and has a completion rating above 50%, only down side is 10 interceptions but 5 came on Sunday. Staffords stats have a similar sound.

The only downside into reading too much into stats mind is that JC has a higher rating than both, but I'd rather take a high pick in the draft than a released second choice. Personal opinion.

Free agency and the second, third, fourth rounds and so on can sort out the line, maybe even pick up an experienced QB also, to help nurture the draft choice.

Boltonian
19.10.2009, 10:17 PM
In some ways i feel sorry for Zorn, it was obvious in the off-season that he didn't
rate Campbell, otherwise why go for Cutler and Sanchez, but for once in his s--t
ownership of the Skins snyder didn't back his Coach. i actually don't think he
wanted Zorn to succeed so that he can bring his next big name coach in.

lochhibs
20.10.2009, 12:22 AM
i think jc should maybe get a week or 2 if lewis is going to be calling plays.he must be a bit more adventurous than zorn.we havent exactly got the best wrs out there or even a half decent o-line so jc cant be blamed for the whole offence.cooley has to block most plays which takes another option away.changes need to be made from the top down.if the offence does anything half decent against the eagles(whos coming off a loss to the raiders)and its lewis calling the plays,i wouldnt be surprised if zorn got the chop and lewis gets the job for the rest of the season.then at the end of the season get rid of the dead wood.from gm to playing staff.a new hc and gm to move the team in the right direction.

Gman84
20.10.2009, 05:43 AM
I admit I've not seen much of Colt apart from last year's preseason when he looked quite good, but how do you come to the conclusion that he's not an NFL standard QB when he's not been given a chance yet?

Ok, reports did tend to suggest that he hadn't made much progress in 2009 preseason and was struggling to beat out Chase Daniel, but how much of that was down to his injury?

I'd like to see him back in TC next year and competing for #1 or #2. Never have been convinced by Campbell but Collins is not the answer. I guess the FO agree with this, that's why they tried to get Cutler and Sanchez.

It's got to be draft.

So many of these college systems run n shoot, spread etc produce guys like Brennan who throw for massive numbers but are playing against basic defenses in a simplistic scheme. They are taught to get the ball out fast to the mismatch called by the OC. Up in the pros where things are more complex, their style holds little weight. It's ok in pre-season against scrubs and vanilla schemes but once they start sending the house or mixing coverages 99% of these guys get found out. There are not many, if any, QB's I know of that have come from the spread or run n shoot in college and have succeeded or even just stuck around for a good while. You can go back to some high profile picks from the system in the 90's, Andre Ware and David Klinger, as prove those systems can't provide NFL QB's.

The_Hangman
20.10.2009, 09:38 PM
Clausen would be my pick if he declares for the draft.

Jake Locker looked good in the very limited time I seen him.

Crazy87
21.10.2009, 12:06 AM
So many of these college systems run n shoot, spread etc produce guys like Brennan who throw for massive numbers but are playing against basic defenses in a simplistic scheme. They are taught to get the ball out fast to the mismatch called by the OC. Up in the pros where things are more complex, their style holds little weight. It's ok in pre-season against scrubs and vanilla schemes but once they start sending the house or mixing coverages 99% of these guys get found out. There are not many, if any, QB's I know of that have come from the spread or run n shoot in college and have succeeded or even just stuck around for a good while. You can go back to some high profile picks from the system in the 90's, Andre Ware and David Klinger, as prove those systems can't provide NFL QB's.

All fair points I'm sure and I guess since he didn't exactly shine during this preseason, he may have blown his chance, injury or not. But he looked exciting and prepared to take chances so I hope he's back next preseason for a fair crack.

Harwich Hog
22.10.2009, 12:23 PM
I have to say i'll be a little furious if we draft QB in the first round next year. Then i'll be part of the fickle crowd that gets excited about the prospect. And then i'll sign up for the lynching mob when we realise there's no point having a young QB behind a non-existent OL.

With all that in mind, I like the idea of Chad Pennington. I also like the idea of having Colt Brennan behind him if he gets injured. If we're going to have someone sit for a season anyway I don't see the problem in waiting another year to draft a franchise guy in 2011.

Harwich Hog
22.10.2009, 12:36 PM
When was the last system QB to be drafted highly? Has there been any in the last decade? I think teams are so put off by committing money to these types of players that they end up being low-risk “high-reward” late-rounders. As such, they’re sent away to perfect their technique and ability to line up behind center and aren’t given the chance to impress.

If Colt Brennan had been 100% fit at the combine (he wasn’t in 2008) and been drafted in 1997 he’d have been a top 10 pick.

JD for breakfast
03.11.2009, 09:22 PM
I have to say i'll be a little furious if we draft QB in the first round next year. Then i'll be part of the fickle crowd that gets excited about the prospect. And then i'll sign up for the lynching mob when we realise there's no point having a young QB behind a non-existent OL.

With all that in mind, I like the idea of Chad Pennington. I also like the idea of having Colt Brennan behind him if he gets injured. If we're going to have someone sit for a season anyway I don't see the problem in waiting another year to draft a franchise guy in 2011.

I'd go along with this approach. It looks we're going to end end up with a top 10 (if not top 5) pick in 2010 so a QB taken there will have high expectations and tons of pressure to deal with. If 2010 is going to be an uncapped year take the chance to have a clear-out on the O-line and get some young blood in there through the draft and in free-agency.

I think the RB situation is nearly as bad as the QB situation to be frank (Portis, Betts and Sellers ain't getting any younger and there's no obvious replacements on the roster), but they can keep for one more year and the state of the O-line is in most urgent need of being addressed

Gman84
05.11.2009, 09:01 AM
Whilst I would never disagree with picks been made on the lines, I do think if the Skins pick top 5 (my guess is we'll pick 3 or 4 eventually) then I do think they have to seriously consider one of the top QB's - likely Sam Bradford or Jimmy Clausen. If you have a top end QB, you will always be competitive and I'm willing to take the chance. My preference would be Clausen who just appears to have "it" from the little I've seen but it also depends on if he declares (I would suspect he would, especially if there is no cap in 2010 and a potential lock out in 2011, he'll want to grab the cash whilst he can).

Then again, if the Skins were to pick top fove there is no certainties they would get a shot at those two QB's. I assume the Buccaneers would stick with Freeman but the Rams would likely want a QB. The Lions have Stafford, would the Titans stick with Young and/or Collins?. The Chiefs paid out for Cassel so I'd guess they would be out of the QB running, the Raiders might be ready to dump JaMarcus already though but would they pay another young QB big dollars? I doubt it, but hard to tell with Al.

wullie
05.11.2009, 08:54 PM
Ive got to echo others and say its o-line all the way. Whilst the idea of a franchise QB from our high pick does get me salivating - its just a too high risk strategy. There is no point in a college kid coming in and getting hammered from day 1 (after all thats to an extent what has happened to JC). We need o-line, o-line and more o-line! Any QB can hand off - and reestablishing the running game must be a priority (and yep that means we also need a debate about the future of CP)

FA is going to be interesting either way - as there will be QB's on the market.