PDA

View Full Version : Redskins Next Head Coach speculation

Riggo
20.11.2009, 10:11 PM
Any predicitions or desires?

One barrier is of course Snyder himself, and "what reputable coach would go there?" is asked regularly on the on the national talk shows.

One thing to factor is the enormous ego's of these guys. As unattractive as Snyder's method might be, these super coaches may very well think "Well, I can handle him."

Also, suppose Snyder went and hired a real GM, somebody respected around the league? Everyone in DC is hoping, maybe even praying, this is what Snyder does first. But will he? Indeed the fear is the Redskins might win too much to finish the year and Vinnie will whisper to Snyder "See how close we are, we just need another big free agent"

The good news is there doesn't seem be some big college whiz bang coach about the express his desire to try the NFL they way spurrier did 8 years ago (OMG...was that really almost 8 years ago?)

Boltonian
20.11.2009, 10:30 PM
First of all Snyder has got to fire Ceratto, then i would give the keys to the team
to Mike Holmgren and let him decide if he wants to be just the GM and hire his own
coach or do both jobs himself, either way Snyder has got to keep well away.

Iggy
23.11.2009, 11:01 AM
First of all Snyder has got to fire Ceratto, then i would give the keys to the team
to Mike Holmgren and let him decide if he wants to be just the GM and hire his own
coach or do both jobs himself, either way Snyder has got to keep well away.

Unless Ceratto goes it doesn't matter who gets fired or hired! I'm not sure who to speculate on. Gruden's signed a contract extension with ESPN and rumours had Holmgren lined up to take over in Cleveland as GM/coach.

I think a lot of people would be put off from taking a job in DC because of just how bad the situation is.

Gman84
23.11.2009, 07:40 PM
Russ Grimm - played for the team, has the love of the fans, has coached here, been successful as an assistant with the Steelers and Cardinals, will sort the OL out.

Get rid of Vinny, give him a proper GM and let the magic of the 80's return.

RickySanders
24.11.2009, 11:53 AM
Russ Grimm - played for the team, has the love of the fans, has coached here, been successful as an assistant with the Steelers and Cardinals, will sort the OL out.

Get rid of Vinny, give him a proper GM and let the magic of the 80's return.

Russ Grimm is a great shout.

Riggo
05.12.2009, 04:47 PM
I think we could end up with Sherm Lewis

cokey
05.12.2009, 09:56 PM
Really like the Russ Grimm shout.

Interesting article on ESPN by Adam Schefter... How many of these are on Danny's shortlist?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=schefter_adam&id=4704338

Gman84
06.12.2009, 12:37 PM
Really like the Russ Grimm shout.

Interesting article on ESPN by Adam Schefter... How many of these are on Danny's shortlist?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=schefter_adam&id=4704338

interesting that of that list 4 used to be skins assistant coaches.

Riggo
07.12.2009, 12:36 AM
With the redskins scoring an astonishing 30 points, most points in almost two years :rolleyes:, I really think Sherm is making strong bid.

Nothing against Sherm other than his age, but I'd like to see the skins try and find coach that could hang around for 10 years.

Britskin
07.12.2009, 01:24 AM
With the redskins scoring an astonishing 30 points, most points in almost two years :rolleyes:, I really think Sherm is making strong bid.

Nothing against Sherm other than his age, but I'd like to see the skins try and find coach that could hang around for 10 years.

Unless Snyder leaves we wont have a coach at the Skins for 10years

JD for breakfast
20.12.2009, 01:03 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d8151513d&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

According to this Mike Shanahan is the firm favourite. I don't like the fact that this has come out before the end of the season. Doesn't do Zorn any favours. Everyone knows his time is up but there's no need to broadcast the search for his replacement while he still has a job to do

jklcan1
20.12.2009, 02:33 PM
what coach in their right mind would want to work for snyder?

Crazy87
23.12.2009, 11:10 AM
Hopefully Snyder won't get involved now we have a GM. With Gruden extending his TV commitments and Holmgren off the Cleveland, Shanahan looks a cert.

Feel sorry for Zorn though. He's been classy throughout and his team kept playing (until Monday).

Ledders
23.12.2009, 11:27 AM
Hopefully Snyder won't get involved now we have a GM. With Gruden extending his TV commitments and Holmgren off the Cleveland, Shanahan looks a cert.

Feel sorry for Zorn though. He's been classy throughout and his team kept playing (until Monday).

You can't help but like Jim Zorn really. What future do you think he has in the NFL elsewhere?

citizenstu
23.12.2009, 11:46 AM
You can't help but like Jim Zorn really. What future do you think he has in the NFL elsewhere?

I like Zorn. I think at worst he has to get another shot at QB Coach somewhere. If that worst happens I then sincerely hope he gets another chance to be an OC (and this time stay an OC) to learn more of that position under a HC. I'd like to see him get another (a proper?) chance to succeed as more than a position coach.

red pepper vike
23.12.2009, 02:24 PM
The big difference with Shanahan is that he can come in and tell Snyder to keep out of his face or else. He's got enough reputation to do that imo.

Snyder and the skins need a coach who will be allowed to stay for at least 3 or 4 years in order to get some consistency, if they keep chopping coaches the skins are doomed to losing seasons ad infinitum

JoeHilditch
29.12.2009, 07:23 PM
I believe I heard chat about Urban Meyer, even though he supposedly left the Gators because of his health.

Boltonian
30.12.2009, 12:30 AM
I have made a list below of which head coaches could be available to take over from
Zorn, i have not included current coordinators and i have put them into 3 groups,
Very happy, Happy, Very unhappy, to have as next Redskins coach,

Very Happy,
Jeff Fisher, Bill Cowher, Mike Shanahan, Jon Gruden.

Happy,
John Fox, Jack Del-Rio.

Very Unhappy,
Norv Turner, Eric Mangini, Tom Cable, Raheem Morris, Jim Moira,
Lovie Smith. Steve Spagnolia.

What do you guys think?

Redskinsno.1
30.12.2009, 12:38 AM
I have made a list below of which head coaches could be available to take over from
Zorn, i have not included current coordinators and i have put them into 3 groups,
Very happy, Happy, Very unhappy, to have as next Redskins coach,

Very Happy,
Jeff Fisher, Bill Cowher, Mike Shanahan, Jon Gruden.

Happy,
John Fox, Jack Del-Rio.

Very Unhappy,
Norv Turner, Eric Mangini, Tom Cable, Raheem Morris, Jim Moira,
Lovie Smith. Steve Spagnolia.

What do you guys think?

I'd pretty much agree with this but will point out that John Fox will not be available as Carolina have confirmed he will be back next season

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4776316

JD for breakfast
30.12.2009, 01:11 AM

I'd wager he'll end up back working with Mike Holmgren again in Cleveland. Maybe not as HC straight away, more likely as OC or QB coach. Good luck to him. You can't really lay the blame for the state of the Redskins at Zorn's feet (we all know where that goes) so any good rep he had beforehand should still be intact and he deserves credit for the way he's handled himself

RickySanders
30.12.2009, 10:35 AM
I'd wager he'll end up back working with Mike Holmgren again in Cleveland. Maybe not as HC straight away, more likely as OC or QB coach. Good luck to him. You can't really lay the blame for the state of the Redskins at Zorn's feet (we all know where that goes) so any good rep he had beforehand should still be intact and he deserves credit for the way he's handled himself

Excellent post. Couldn't agree more.

skinsfan.uk
30.12.2009, 03:29 PM
Shanahan gets my vote over all other candidates, unless Cowher can be covinced to leave the good life. None of the other choices fill me with confidence. I suspect we will hear a week or two after the Chargers loss!

RickySanders
31.12.2009, 10:40 AM
Cowher without doubt would be my primary choice. But realistically I think we have to hope for Shanahan.

jklcan1
31.12.2009, 06:56 PM
i agree,would love to see cowher myself but would still be happy with shanahan.

Gman84
31.12.2009, 09:42 PM
Shanahan gets my vote over all other candidates, unless Cowher can be covinced to leave the good life. None of the other choices fill me with confidence. I suspect we will hear a week or two after the Chargers loss!

Change week to day and you are about right. Zorn will be fired Monday, Shanahan will be holding his press conference by Thursday at the latest.

Harwich Hog
01.01.2010, 08:02 PM
If any team appoints Zorn as an offensive coordinator after his stint in DC then I would be apoplectic if I were a fan of that team.

I wouldn't disagree with the shout of Cleveland though. QB coach and work with Brady Quinn.

I think it's pretty clear Shanahan is Redskins-bound. I'm excited. Whether in two years time that excitement proves to be justified or not - we'll see.

JoeHilditch
01.01.2010, 08:36 PM
If any team appoints Zorn as an offensive coordinator after his stint in DC then I would be apoplectic if I were a fan of that team.

I wouldn't disagree with the shout of Cleveland though. QB coach and work with Brady Quinn.

I think it's pretty clear Shanahan is Redskins-bound. I'm excited. Whether in two years time that excitement proves to be justified or not - we'll see.

Yes, this is exactly what i think.

Riggo
01.01.2010, 10:29 PM
At this point people are going to be shocked in Shanahan doesn't get the job.

But is there any evidence to support it all?

Riggo
01.01.2010, 10:38 PM
Snyder and the skins need a coach who will be allowed to stay for at least 3 or 4 years in order to get some consistency, if they keep chopping coaches the skins are doomed to losing seasons ad infinitum

Very true. But will billionaire boy wonder show some patience? He's had 3 playoff seasons in his 11 seasons as owner.

Does he ever look back and wonder where he would be if he stopped going for the quick fix?

JD for breakfast
02.01.2010, 04:57 PM

That depends on whether he's still here in two years. Shanahan isn't the kind of man who will be dictated to and Snyder will always have an itchy trigger finger so if there's an ego clash there will only be one person still at Redskins Park in the aftermath.

liverbirdpie
03.01.2010, 07:39 PM
I think Shanahan has the football knowledge and the super coach mentality (ego if you like) to deal with Snyder. If they do appoint Shanahan next week as is widely suggested then I believe the conversation along the lines of "we do it my way if I'm the Head Coach" has taken place, and is probably a big reason for Cerrato stepping aside.

The other thing that has me liking Shanahan as a head coach, is Kyle Shanahan's contract with the Texans is up at the end of their season, and would love the guy to come in as offensive co-ordinator (if he could sneak Schaub and Andre Johnson in his pockets with him too!).

All in all though, we could be having the clear-out wanted/needed this off season.

I'll back up other posters though, the blame doesnt lie at Zorns door, it above him that the problems started,and he was theoretically been sacked when Sherm came in

skinsfan.uk
04.01.2010, 01:31 AM
As GMan predicted Zorn and co appear to be waiting for their firing in the morning, I suspect Shanahan is signed sealed and delivered. No doubt he'll be the highest paid HC in the league, in the region of $8-$10m per year I'd wager. Crazy money really and a complete about turn from the Zorn experiment, and typical Snyder throwing money at a problem with a big name buy. He's like a spoilt kid.

Harwich Hog
04.01.2010, 01:05 PM
As GMan predicted Zorn and co appear to be waiting for their firing in the morning, I suspect Shanahan is signed sealed and delivered. No doubt he'll be the highest paid HC in the league, in the region of $8-$10m per year I'd wager. Crazy money really and a complete about turn from the Zorn experiment, and typical Snyder throwing money at a problem with a big name buy. He's like a spoilt kid.

I couldn't care less about how much he's paid - it doesn't affect the salary cap. I'm not going to criticise Snyder tooo much - another speculative hire along the lines of Jim Zorn if it turns out to be a failure will draw far more criticism than if Shanahan proves to be one.

Another advantage is that with the Shanahan hire, is that it makes DC a far more attractive destination for would-be coordinators (something I think has had just as much, if not more, of a bearing on this season's failures than Zorn himself). Word is we Shanahan will go with his son (Texans OC - Houston have a good offence) and Mike Zimmer (Bengals DC - Cincinnati certainly aren't in the playoffs because of their offence).

Razors Edge
04.01.2010, 09:02 PM
It's being reported that Shanahan landed at Dulles airport in the last hour and was immediately whisked off by the Redskins.

Looks like your new HC is in place, according to The Washington Post and that bit of info.

liverbirdpie
05.01.2010, 06:36 PM
It's being reported that Shanahan landed at Dulles airport in the last hour and was immediately whisked off by the Redskins.

Looks like your new HC is in place, according to The Washington Post and that bit of info.

I saw this too, was tweeted by RedskinsInsider that Shanahan had been in talks with Snyder and Allen all day

jklcan1
06.01.2010, 09:49 AM
skins holding a press conference this afternoon.i think we can all guess whats coming.

fugitive
06.01.2010, 12:26 PM
He's got a 5year deal averaging $7M a year

RickySanders
06.01.2010, 01:07 PM
Are we happy about Kyle Shanahan as the OC? Must say I dont know much about the fella (apart from the fact that he is Mike's son and has had previous OC jobs in NFL).

JD for breakfast
06.01.2010, 02:11 PM
The Texans have been pretty good offensively this year, with Matt Schaub having a breakout season. I'm sure a lot of that is down to Kyle Shanahan, although he does have some pretty potent weapons to play with, certainly better than the ones he'll have in DC at this moment in time. The sooner this gets settled the better, because Mike will have a lot of personnel decisions to make once he gets settled in, both on the roster and the sidelines

cokey
06.01.2010, 07:32 PM
Suppose we can close this thread now Shanhan is in place!!!

Just watched press conference and as expected didn't give much away about personnel who will be kept / cut. Said he hoped Campbell would be around for a while, less positive about Portis but would evaluate both.

I suppose the one thing he was good at was plugging RB's into his system so lets get ready for some zone blocking!!!

liverbirdpie
06.01.2010, 09:36 PM
Wasn't Shanahan Head Coach of Denver when they traded Portis for Champ Bailey?

JD for breakfast
06.01.2010, 09:47 PM
Wasn't Shanahan Head Coach of Denver when they traded Portis for Champ Bailey?

Yeah he was. Portis had his two best seasons yard-wise under Shanahan before he came to DC. Doesn't necessarily mean he'll keep him around though

Kase
06.01.2010, 09:57 PM
Great to see Shanahan back in football again. I enjoyed watching his press conference, hopefully you Redskins fans get the kind of rewards he brought to Denver way back when.

wuds100
06.01.2010, 10:17 PM
Great to see Shanahan back in football again. I enjoyed watching his press conference, hopefully you Redskins fans get the kind of rewards he brought to Denver way back when.

Hope so, Going to be tough though patience will be the name of the game,
Since the Dolphins and Falcons turned things round quickly last year I think
alot of people had expectations raised especially at the top of the draft,
I remember predictions of the Lions winning 6 plus games last year when they
took Stafford when there where no foundations for such forecasts,
We have a huge amount of under performing players and just downright deadwood
to deal with and potential salary cap problems depending on how things go
so I think everybody has to keep there feet on the ground throughout next season.

Britskin
07.01.2010, 07:22 AM
Lets hope Snyder leaves him alone to coach. We have had too many coaches since Snyder came in.

Welcome Mike Shanahan

wuds100
07.01.2010, 02:48 PM
Lets hope Snyder leaves him alone to coach. We have had too many coaches since Snyder came in.

Welcome Mike Shanahan

In the presser he talked how he has been friends with Synder for 10 years
so hopefully we will see a similar sitution to the one with Gibbs only Bruce Allen
and not Cerrato will be assisting.